Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How many of this hopeless lot will end up at Col U? 12:55 - May 4 with 2364 viewsWoolfenthen

and struggle to improve them at league 2 level?
How many of this hopeless lot will end up at Col U? on 13:49 - May 4 with 2270 viewshandslikeplates

I would imagine a few will end up at Colchester, the annoying thing will be watching them do well at whichever club they end up at.
How many of this hopeless lot will end up at Col U? on 13:52 - May 4 with 2259 viewsBLUEBEAT

The mass changes here will be very beneficial to Col U, I’m sure.

Incidentally, at the friendly at their place when we all saw KVY’s capabilities, I seem to recall their LB was pretty handy too. Is he still there?
[Post edited 4 May 2021 15:10]

Poll: W or W

How many of this hopeless lot will end up at Col U? on 15:03 - May 4 with 2164 viewsSharkey

How many of this hopeless lot will end up at Col U? on 13:52 - May 4 by BLUEBEAT

Incidentally, at the friendly at their place when we all saw KVY’s capabilities, I seem to recall their LB was pretty handy too. Is he still there?

That would be Ryan Jackson, I guess. He went back to Gillingham last summer. But I can't remember if Cohen Bramall also played in that game - he was signed to replace KVY and was at the club with him for a month or so before KVY left. I think U's fans considered him at least as good as Kane - he's much quicker, and took most of the attacking set-pieces; he's now at Lincoln.
How many of this hopeless lot will end up at Col U? on 15:07 - May 4 with 2141 viewsgtsb1966

Im struggling to work out how Colchester can pay wages to new players. Aren't they in financial difficulty?
How many of this hopeless lot will end up at Col U? on 15:11 - May 4 with 2115 viewsmonty_radio

How many of this hopeless lot will end up at Col U? on 13:52 - May 4 by BLUEBEAT

I haven't looked, but I can't imagine Col U forum being set alight by our ageing cast-offs. There might be a couple of grudging "still do a job, I suppose" and "well. maybe, if it's a short term contract" responses.

It might save a couple from having to move house/kids, but yet one more candle on the cake won't make them automatic picks. If that's where Col U are doing their shopping, then they may not stave off the drop next time round.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

How many of this hopeless lot will end up at Col U? on 15:24 - May 4 with 2066 viewsBLUEBEAT

How many of this hopeless lot will end up at Col U? on 15:11 - May 4 by monty_radio

I haven't looked, but I can't imagine Col U forum being set alight by our ageing cast-offs. There might be a couple of grudging "still do a job, I suppose" and "well. maybe, if it's a short term contract" responses.

It might save a couple from having to move house/kids, but yet one more candle on the cake won't make them automatic picks. If that's where Col U are doing their shopping, then they may not stave off the drop next time round.

Rather than the middling players, I was thinking along the lines of Sears (obviously), Chambers, Skuse... and then the younger crop which are also due to be culled as seen as not being suitable to make the step from U23 to main squad.

How many of this hopeless lot will end up at Col U? on 15:29 - May 4 with 2049 viewsSharkey

How many of this hopeless lot will end up at Col U? on 15:07 - May 4 by gtsb1966

Im struggling to work out how Colchester can pay wages to new players. Aren't they in financial difficulty?

https://www.cu-fc.com/news/2021/april/amended-club-statement/

I tend to trust Robbie Cowling, as he has always done exactly what he said he would. Obviously, Colchester will need players next season. How many of the current squad they retain we'll find out in a week or two. Only a few (most notably Chilvers, Wiredu and Poku) have contracts beyond June, but my own hunch is that more than expected of the current squad will be retained. The chairman has stressed that he does not blame the players for dicing with relegation, as it was his decision to reduce the squad on the basis that one might as well finish 21st as 8th.

As for stocking up on ex-Town players, all I know is that in recent years signings have never really been predictable. If there's been any trnd, it's mostly been signing young players ditched by Premier league academies. (KVY, Frankie Kent, Cohen Bramall being the most obvious successes, I guess, . But Darren Smith has been virtually assistant manager in the last month or so, and obviously he would know a lot about the current Town squad, for good and for bad.

(In the other direction, it's gone a bit quiet on whether John McGreal is joining Town, ... but if he does I'm sure he'll be singing the praises of Kwame Poku.)
How many of this hopeless lot will end up at Col U? on 15:38 - May 4 with 2007 viewsParky

Still annoyed we never signed Cohen Bramall from them, he’s gone to Lincoln and every time I’ve seen him play, he’s impressed. He’s absolutely rapid, good going forward and very good at set-pieces, ticks every box we need imo.
Login to get fewer ads

How many of this hopeless lot will end up at Col U? on 15:48 - May 4 with 1960 viewsSharkey

How many of this hopeless lot will end up at Col U? on 15:38 - May 4 by Parky

Still annoyed we never signed Cohen Bramall from them, he’s gone to Lincoln and every time I’ve seen him play, he’s impressed. He’s absolutely rapid, good going forward and very good at set-pieces, ticks every box we need imo.

I've heard it said that he was by some distance the quickest player on Arsenal's books. He was great against Manchester United in December 2019, and the Man U. data analysts were amazed at the ground he covered. He didn't start this season well, but the U's season really went into free-fall after he left, as even not at his best he always gave the opposition something to worry about, - and after he left nobody else did!
How many of this hopeless lot will end up at Col U? on 16:05 - May 4 with 1894 viewsStewart27

It does make sense that some of the squad would move there.

I reckon the one or two of the likes of Skuse, Chambo, Sears could end up there. I think they would do ok in league 2 as squad players.

I’d imagine a couple of the younger released players could end up there too.
How many of this hopeless lot will end up at Col U? on 17:27 - May 4 with 1768 viewschicoazul

Well John McGreal is coming here next month so a swap deal for Chambers looks realistic.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

How many of this hopeless lot will end up at Col U? on 17:30 - May 4 with 1754 viewspointofblue

How many of this hopeless lot will end up at Col U? on 17:27 - May 4 by chicoazul

Well John McGreal is coming here next month so a swap deal for Chambers looks realistic.

I’m sure I’m about to be whooshed but... swap deal for Chambers?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

How many of this hopeless lot will end up at Col U? on 10:25 - May 5 with 1574 viewsBLUEBEAT

How many of this hopeless lot will end up at Col U? on 15:24 - May 4 by BLUEBEAT

Rather than the middling players, I was thinking along the lines of Sears (obviously), Chambers, Skuse... and then the younger crop which are also due to be culled as seen as not being suitable to make the step from U23 to main squad.

Colchester Linked With Triple Blues Move 5th May 2021 09:24
Colchester United could reportedly show summer interest in veteran Blues trio Luke Chambers, Cole Skuse and Freddie Sears. 51

How many of this hopeless lot will end up at Col U? on 11:06 - May 5 with 1516 viewstextbackup

Can see one or 2 going to Cambridge

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

How many of this hopeless lot will end up at Col U? on 11:22 - May 5 with 1474 viewsclive_baker

I would be so disappointed if I were a Col Who fan at the prospect of Sears, Skuse and Chambers. Decent enough players once, for sure, but under McGreal they had a young side, really tight defensively and looked like they could keep improving. Made the playoffs, now after what has been a pony season are they really going to go down the route of signings 30 - 35 year olds looking for a last pay day. So at odds with what they should be looking to do to progress IMO.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

How many of this hopeless lot will end up at Col U? on 11:35 - May 5 with 1395 viewsSharkey

How many of this hopeless lot will end up at Col U? on 11:22 - May 5 by clive_baker

I would be so disappointed if I were a Col Who fan at the prospect of Sears, Skuse and Chambers. Decent enough players once, for sure, but under McGreal they had a young side, really tight defensively and looked like they could keep improving. Made the playoffs, now after what has been a pony season are they really going to go down the route of signings 30 - 35 year olds looking for a last pay day. So at odds with what they should be looking to do to progress IMO.

I totally agree. It would certainly represent a major change in policy, - but perhaps a slight dilution of the club's philosophy was hinted at by bringing in an 'outsider' in Paul Tisdale to help see the season out, plus to an extent 'mixing it up a bit' a euphemism for playing a wee bit of hoofball) as things got nervy at the end of the season.
How many of this hopeless lot will end up at Col U? on 11:36 - May 5 with 1390 viewsMB26

I think it would a perfect opportunity for Drinan to drop down to a club that has struggled to find an out and out striker this season.
How many of this hopeless lot will end up at Col U? on 11:44 - May 5 with 1364 viewsTieDyedIn95

How many of this hopeless lot will end up at Col U? on 15:07 - May 4 by gtsb1966

Yeah they are a wreck.

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

How many of this hopeless lot will end up at Col U? on 11:52 - May 5 with 1337 viewsclive_baker

How many of this hopeless lot will end up at Col U? on 11:35 - May 5 by Sharkey

I totally agree. It would certainly represent a major change in policy, - but perhaps a slight dilution of the club's philosophy was hinted at by bringing in an 'outsider' in Paul Tisdale to help see the season out, plus to an extent 'mixing it up a bit' a euphemism for playing a wee bit of hoofball) as things got nervy at the end of the season.

Yeah and I think this summer, perhaps more so then ever given the likely churn among clubs at all levels, they have a chance to nail their recruitment and pick up some really talented young players that can take them on a level, and perhaps have a resale value too. Where they're located geographically, they really should be an attractive proposition for a number of London based players that are moving on from the likes of Spurs, West Ham, Arsenal etc, a la KVY. I wouldn't know what business they've got signing 35 year old Cole Skuse, it doesn't feel very progressive. I'm sure they won't all be around next season but we could see a Colchester team with Gerken, Eastman, Smith, Chambers, Skuse, Sears.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

How many of this hopeless lot will end up at Col U? on 12:07 - May 5 with 1301 viewsSharkey

How many of this hopeless lot will end up at Col U? on 11:52 - May 5 by clive_baker

Yeah and I think this summer, perhaps more so then ever given the likely churn among clubs at all levels, they have a chance to nail their recruitment and pick up some really talented young players that can take them on a level, and perhaps have a resale value too. Where they're located geographically, they really should be an attractive proposition for a number of London based players that are moving on from the likes of Spurs, West Ham, Arsenal etc, a la KVY. I wouldn't know what business they've got signing 35 year old Cole Skuse, it doesn't feel very progressive. I'm sure they won't all be around next season but we could see a Colchester team with Gerken, Eastman, Smith, Chambers, Skuse, Sears.

They have good contacts with those Premiership teams, not least because they play them at youth levels. (Let's not forget, their Under 18s whacked Town 6-0 at Playford Road at the end of March.)

There will be loads of seasoned players looking for work, but as you say, it's the likes of KVY they should be after, and I suspect will be. Poku is another with a background in a Premiership academy, as was Frankie Kent and Cohen Bramall.

I wonder if Gerken is about to retire. If Smith stays, and assuming Eastman signs again at the last minute as he usually does (Ravi Bopara style, until one day he didn't), then I don't see the U's signing more than three players over 28 in total. I really hope they won't sign more than one over 32.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024