Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I know I am not entirely innocent of this.. 21:13 - May 12 with 1843 viewsTieDyedIn95

I had some reservations about Cook but have wiped the slate clean ahead of the new season but are some people just hoping Cook fails? I really don't think it's going to be a miracle turnaround and I suspect I am in the few that doesn't expect promotion next season and I am happy with that as there are no miracle cures and a change as radical as we are seeing will take time.

There just seems to be this itch to jump on Cook.

Although I don't agree with what Jeffers did in the past, Cook obviously sees something in him as a coach and his work at Everton to think he's good enough for a job here. The same with Gary Roberts but we're getting a jobs for the boys response. Our staff last year were either ex Ipswich players in Klug, Dyer, Nash, Atay, Butcher and Pullen or ex Norwich such as Gill and so on, surely that was more jobs for the boys then this?

We won't become a Championship outfit over night, and we wont be spending millions upon millions either. We need to see what Cook can do over a season or two before jumping all over it.

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

I know I am not entirely innocent of this.. on 21:18 - May 12 with 1793 viewsCoastalblue

We don't need to spend milions to get out of this division, sell a project to some decent players at this level, set them up and manage them competently and there's absolutely no reason we shouldn't go up next time.

We've all seen how poor the standard is, I mean we weren't far off the playoffs despite the sh1t show we were.

Probably no need to spend any fees at all until we're back in the Championship.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

I know I am not entirely innocent of this.. on 21:37 - May 12 with 1708 viewschrismakin

What has shocked me is some of the more respected posters who seem to have lost all sorts of patience and have questioned almost everything he does.

Weve had man management issues, jobs for the boys. Not enough rotation. To much rotation. Need 2 up front. Should have kept with his own style.

Some I think are norwich fans. Not naming names. But haynes.

Where as others seem to have fallen into the trap of wanting new managers if nothing happens in 6 months.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

I know I am not entirely innocent of this.. on 21:48 - May 12 with 1670 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I know I am not entirely innocent of this.. on 21:37 - May 12 by chrismakin

What has shocked me is some of the more respected posters who seem to have lost all sorts of patience and have questioned almost everything he does.

Weve had man management issues, jobs for the boys. Not enough rotation. To much rotation. Need 2 up front. Should have kept with his own style.

Where as others seem to have fallen into the trap of wanting new managers if nothing happens in 6 months.

Let's not turn this into a Facebook group.

TWTD by and large is very supportive and objective.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

I know I am not entirely innocent of this.. on 00:25 - May 13 with 1406 viewstextbackup

The absolute worse thing that could have happened is fans being made aware that there is new money coming in. Its gone from knowing we were on a hiding to nothing under ME, to a sudden expectation of instant success and the perfect club under the new guys.

It had fallen so far, that it will take time to get up to standard, let alone right and able to really push on.

Mistake will still be made along the way, with player signings not working out, coaches perhaps not being what PC had hope etc. but it really is unbearable seeing fans ripping every decision to pieces. almost as if they deserve a sht club to support.

Faces no longer fit, players have gone, coaches brought in. We wanted a full rebuild and its under way. Enjoy the ride and see where it takes us

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

I know I am not entirely innocent of this.. on 00:49 - May 13 with 1383 viewsBarneycurley

I can't wait to see him seceded, blimey it's been too long. But I would be amongst a smallish number of people that were taken a back by how badly he did since taking over.

He had to pick up the peices apparently but he showed not much (imho) acumen in having the ability to keep an average squad moving forward whilst still forming his opinions on who fitted in to what he wanted.

He could and should have the ability to balance the 2 and he showed he didn't. It was quite a worry. But that's history now, on to next season and HIS squad. Yes the honeymoon will be over and he can hopefully start to show us some green shoots.

Poll: Last nights obv lling of Evans are him and bluefish ever seen in the same room?

I know I am not entirely innocent of this.. on 04:29 - May 13 with 1293 viewsgordon

Think you're misunderstanding what people mean by 'jobs for the boys'. Just looks like he's taking the opportunity to give jobs to as many of his own mates as possible, and again ITFC doesn't seem to have anyone strong enough to set boundaries for what the manager should and shouldn't be doing. The coaching staff should report to a director of football, not to the manager, and he shouldn't be able to sack them.

It's looking a bit Hurst-esque to me in that we're letting him make too many big decisions - if it doesn't work out and he's sacked in by Christmas, that'll be most of the coaching staff leaving and the club in an absolute mess, with no continuity.
I know I am not entirely innocent of this.. on 06:10 - May 13 with 1229 viewstextbackup

I know I am not entirely innocent of this.. on 04:29 - May 13 by gordon

Think you're misunderstanding what people mean by 'jobs for the boys'. Just looks like he's taking the opportunity to give jobs to as many of his own mates as possible, and again ITFC doesn't seem to have anyone strong enough to set boundaries for what the manager should and shouldn't be doing. The coaching staff should report to a director of football, not to the manager, and he shouldn't be able to sack them.

It's looking a bit Hurst-esque to me in that we're letting him make too many big decisions - if it doesn't work out and he's sacked in by Christmas, that'll be most of the coaching staff leaving and the club in an absolute mess, with no continuity.

Alternatively he and the owners have discussed every decision he'd made so far, and have also spoken with the incoming CEO to ensure these decisions meet his expectations.

you and I will never know though. and it should remain that way because we are only supporters

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

I know I am not entirely innocent of this.. on 07:03 - May 13 with 1128 viewsBryanPlug

I know I am not entirely innocent of this.. on 21:37 - May 12 by chrismakin

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Login to get fewer ads

I know I am not entirely innocent of this.. on 07:37 - May 13 with 1026 viewssaffers12

I have been in the past but decided when PC to be positive whenever I could but still question through debate is a good thing
I know I am not entirely innocent of this.. on 08:32 - May 13 with 944 viewsTieDyedIn95

I know I am not entirely innocent of this.. on 04:29 - May 13 by gordon

Most managers bring in an assistant and coaches they can trust though, Mick did it, Hurst did it and Lambert did it and nobody really cried, we bring in Roberts and Jeffers and suddenly he's giving all his mates jobs? He's not different from anyone else.

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

I know I am not entirely innocent of this.. on 08:40 - May 13 with 893 viewsitfcjoe

I know I am not entirely innocent of this.. on 06:10 - May 13 by textbackup

Alternatively he and the owners have discussed every decision he'd made so far, and have also spoken with the incoming CEO to ensure these decisions meet his expectations.

you and I will never know though. and it should remain that way because we are only supporters

There is absolutely zero chance this hasn't all been discussed and signed off by Ashton and his guys - they are already involved in everything as should be the case

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

I know I am not entirely innocent of this.. on 08:40 - May 13 with 893 viewsBluespeed225

I know I am not entirely innocent of this.. on 08:32 - May 13 by TieDyedIn95

Most managers bring in an assistant and coaches they can trust though, Mick did it, Hurst did it and Lambert did it and nobody really cried, we bring in Roberts and Jeffers and suddenly he's giving all his mates jobs? He's not different from anyone else.

Exactly, Burley had how many mates as sidekicks? Joe and Donnachie. It's like any workplace at the end of the day. Some of our fans were in the comfort zone, same as the players, with the old order. Maybe we all were, got used to the moaning, slagging off Lambert, the players, Evans, it was familiar and cosy. Cosy ipswich. Now we see the modern world and some don't like it. Well, hard luck, it's here and we should be excited. If it goes wrong again, we all know that we can curl up and moan on here!
I know I am not entirely innocent of this.. on 15:56 - May 13 with 762 viewsBlueWorldOrder

He's ripping up the squad because he failed to do what any decent manager would have done and got it promoted. His ego has been hurt and he's on a mission to get revenge.

Poll: Should we stop changing kits every season?

I know I am not entirely innocent of this.. on 16:06 - May 13 with 738 viewspointofblue

I know I am not entirely innocent of this.. on 08:40 - May 13 by Bluespeed225

Exactly, Burley had how many mates as sidekicks? Joe and Donnachie. It's like any workplace at the end of the day. Some of our fans were in the comfort zone, same as the players, with the old order. Maybe we all were, got used to the moaning, slagging off Lambert, the players, Evans, it was familiar and cosy. Cosy ipswich. Now we see the modern world and some don't like it. Well, hard luck, it's here and we should be excited. If it goes wrong again, we all know that we can curl up and moan on here!

I guess my concern isn’t he’s bringing in people he knows but the lack of experience they all have. I don’t think Roberts ever coached before joining here whilst Jeffers has only dealt with the U23s. It’d be nice to have someone come in with a longer resume and more experience, and if Cook knows them and has worked for a while with them before then even better.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

I know I am not entirely innocent of this.. on 16:24 - May 13 with 721 viewsElephantintheRoom

I'm not sure anyone wants him to fail do they? It's just that he has been remarkably unimpressive so far. If Cook doesn't start acting like a football manager and achieve something of an upward turn I'd be very surprised if he is still in a job by Christmas. IF he can attract a few half decent players and organise a motivated team that will be a remarkable turnaround from the backstabbing incompetence we have seen so far - but as Town fans have said five or six times in recent years - he needs the chance to build HIS team.

The problem I have with all the yes men being yo-yoed in yet again is that there is no consistency - yet again. IF some of this multitude of backroom staff changes can generate a club philosophy of playing that goes right down to the yooof sides, all well and good. And slightly fitter players with fewer long-term injuries might be useful too.

But I doubt the debt peddlars will be satisfied with mid table mediocrity (or worse) and a manager constantly blaming his players come xmas.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

(No subject) (n/t) on 06:16 - May 14 with 648 viewsBarneycurley

Poll: Last nights obv lling of Evans are him and bluefish ever seen in the same room?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024