Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sweet Caroline Origins 09:19 - Jul 8 with 1338 viewsartsbossbeard

I was in Boston in 2004 and watched The Red Sox stuff the Minnesota Twins.

The "Bah! Bah! Bah!" thing was chanted all round Fenway Park that day, so had obviously been a staple chant for a while.

Was it a Red Sox thing or had it been used elsewhere previously, anyone know?

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Sweet Caroline Origins on 09:24 - Jul 8 with 1305 viewsSteve_M

It's been a staple of T20 cricket over here since about the same time, to the point where it was completely overplayed at one point.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Sweet Caroline Origins on 09:24 - Jul 8 with 1305 viewsArnoldMoorhen

In the UK it's down to David Lloyd singing it over the mic during a break in the Twenty 20 Finals Day one year. And then dressing up as Elvis and doing it again the next year. And repeat. And show it again at random times on Sky. So the Barmy Army took it on and there's cross over between them and England Fans, and between the England cricket trumpeter and the Sheff Wed/England brass band.
Sweet Caroline Origins on 10:51 - Jul 8 with 1180 viewsN2_Blue

“Sweet Caroline” has a long association with sport, particularly in the United States.

The Boston Red Sox baseball team play it at every home game — a tradition dating back to 1997.

It is said the stadium DJ first played it in honour of a baby girl named Caroline, who had just been born to a member of team staff.

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/sweet-caroline-why-england-fans-sing-football

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Sweet Caroline Origins on 10:54 - Jul 8 with 1160 viewsSwansea_Blue

Pretty sure the Portland Sea Dogs played it too when we watched them a few years ago (they're one of Boston Red Sox's feeder teams).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Sweet Caroline Origins on 10:55 - Jul 8 with 1156 viewsartsbossbeard

Sweet Caroline Origins on 10:51 - Jul 8 by N2_Blue

“Sweet Caroline” has a long association with sport, particularly in the United States.

The Boston Red Sox baseball team play it at every home game — a tradition dating back to 1997.

It is said the stadium DJ first played it in honour of a baby girl named Caroline, who had just been born to a member of team staff.

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/sweet-caroline-why-england-fans-sing-football

Brilliant, cheers!

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Sweet Caroline Origins on 11:11 - Jul 8 with 1116 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Sweet Caroline Origins on 09:24 - Jul 8 by ArnoldMoorhen

In the UK it's down to David Lloyd singing it over the mic during a break in the Twenty 20 Finals Day one year. And then dressing up as Elvis and doing it again the next year. And repeat. And show it again at random times on Sky. So the Barmy Army took it on and there's cross over between them and England Fans, and between the England cricket trumpeter and the Sheff Wed/England brass band.

In the UK Northern Ireland have been singing it since the late 90s. When was Twenty20 cricket invented? 2002?

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Sweet Caroline Origins on 11:30 - Jul 8 with 1086 viewsSWGF

We sang it at my cricket club before 2000.

We also sang "I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)" and Peter Sarstedt's "Where do you go to my lovely", so England fans can have one of those instead.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Sweet Caroline Origins on 11:35 - Jul 8 with 1073 viewsTractorWood

Useful. Thanks.

I (clearly wrongly) thought it was a boxing thing that was creeping into football.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Login to get fewer ads

Sweet Caroline Origins on 11:38 - Jul 8 with 1059 viewsWeWereZombies

Sweet Caroline Origins on 11:35 - Jul 8 by TractorWood

Useful. Thanks.

I (clearly wrongly) thought it was a boxing thing that was creeping into football.

That's (goodnight) Vienna...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Sweet Caroline Origins on 12:10 - Jul 8 with 1012 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

My initiation in the uni football team involved having to sing a karaoke song in front of about 80 people and I went for Sweet Caroline. You also had to down a pint in the gap between the song beginning and the very first word of the song which gave me about 13 seconds to play with.

For a lot of the uni away matches thereafter, the drive back on the coach would involved everyone drinking a bottle of wine (no idea why wine but that was the tradition) in the first hour back and the remaining time being more karaoke and drinking games. Sweet Caroline again would often be my go to choice of song. Towards the end of second year, no matter which team I’d be in, it would be requested as my song from the other lads. Unfortunately covid meant there would be no final year rendition.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Sweet Caroline Origins on 12:38 - Jul 8 with 975 viewsBloomBlue

Apparently many people thought (think) it's a bit of creepy song especially the lines
Reaching out
Touching me
Touching you

But then he revealed years later it was written after seeing Caroline Kennedy aged 8 in a magazine.. not sure if that helped dispel the creepies about the song
Sweet Caroline Origins on 12:50 - Jul 8 with 947 viewsfactual_blue

Here's Neil with some top-notch musicians.

I thought his appearance on ITV last night was hilarious. He clearly had no idea what he was being made to talk about.

I also enjoyed Mr Keane's story about how he got into a row with a woman sat next to him at a Neil Diamond concert, presumably the one at Portman Road.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Sweet Caroline Origins on 13:19 - Jul 8 with 908 viewsRadlett_blue

I was in Brisbane watching an Australia v England ODI in 2014 & they were still playing "Rock and Roll, Part 2". Presumably news of Mr Gadd's prison sentences for child sex offences hadn't reached Australia, or they simply didn't care.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Sweet Caroline Origins on 19:08 - Jul 9 with 779 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Sweet Caroline Origins on 09:24 - Jul 8 by Steve_M

It's been a staple of T20 cricket over here since about the same time, to the point where it was completely overplayed at one point.

Always sung at the boxing as well...

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024