Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What did Cook mean by this? 20:39 - Aug 7 with 2371 viewsVic

“We just stay on the page that we’re here for, we don’t get caught up like Lee Evans and Rekeem [Harper] late on in the game where they’re trying to do five men’s jobs. They’re very good at doing their own job, and that’s what we want from our players.”

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

What did Cook mean by this? on 20:40 - Aug 7 with 2327 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Seems quite clear.

Stick to your own role, do your own job.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

What did Cook mean by this? on 20:42 - Aug 7 with 2291 viewsRamRob

Strayed out of position a few times maybe?

Poll: What should be the music when opposition score?

What did Cook mean by this? on 20:44 - Aug 7 with 2247 viewschrismakin

Trying to hard and forgetting the basics.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

What did Cook mean by this? on 20:46 - Aug 7 with 2223 viewsVic

What did Cook mean by this? on 20:40 - Aug 7 by Marshalls_Mullet

Seems quite clear.

Stick to your own role, do your own job.

Thought that was probably it, but am a bit surprised at the implied ‘criticism’ of them. Sounds like they became a little bit like headless chickens, trying a bit too hard.

What did Cook mean by this? on 20:57 - Aug 7 with 2104 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

What did Cook mean by this? on 20:46 - Aug 7 by Vic

Thought that was probably it, but am a bit surprised at the implied ‘criticism’ of them. Sounds like they became a little bit like headless chickens, trying a bit too hard.

I think it's fair enough to say that if that's what he felt.

I'm sure he will also tell them how well they played for the most part.

...he did state that they were very good!
[Post edited 7 Aug 2021 20:58]

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

What did Cook mean by this? on 21:09 - Aug 7 with 1993 viewsNthsuffolkblue

What I heard from him and something Bonne said in his interview made it sound like Cook wanted us to keep with the same approach through the game. However, the more direct approach got us the equaliser. Something Bonne said made it sound like he would feel we should be mixing it up a bit more, though.

It is great if we are determined to play a good passing style, but we must be prepared to go a little more direct at times.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

What did Cook mean by this? on 21:11 - Aug 7 with 1954 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

What did Cook mean by this? on 21:09 - Aug 7 by Nthsuffolkblue

What I heard from him and something Bonne said in his interview made it sound like Cook wanted us to keep with the same approach through the game. However, the more direct approach got us the equaliser. Something Bonne said made it sound like he would feel we should be mixing it up a bit more, though.

It is great if we are determined to play a good passing style, but we must be prepared to go a little more direct at times.

From one of the early pod casts I think the Pompey or Wigan fan said cook only has one style.

They said the frustrating thing is there is no Plan B, just do Plan A better.

What did Cook mean by this? on 21:13 - Aug 7 with 1904 viewsNthsuffolkblue

What did Cook mean by this? on 21:11 - Aug 7 by Marshalls_Mullet

From one of the early pod casts I think the Pompey or Wigan fan said cook only has one style.

Will be interesting to see if the players effectively implement a plan B behind his back at times!

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Login to get fewer ads

What did Cook mean by this? on 21:13 - Aug 7 with 1898 viewsxrayspecs

What did Cook mean by this? on 20:46 - Aug 7 by Vic

Hardly criticism is it? Nothing to see here.
What did Cook mean by this? on 21:20 - Aug 7 with 1838 viewsVic

What did Cook mean by this? on 21:13 - Aug 7 by xrayspecs

Hardly criticism is it? Nothing to see here.

Yep, wasn’t implying he said anything wrong - was just surprised he said it in first game of season though. Guess his ‘saying it as it is’ is someth8ng we’ll just get used to.

What did Cook mean by this? on 21:20 - Aug 7 with 1824 viewschrismakin

What did Cook mean by this? on 21:13 - Aug 7 by Nthsuffolkblue

Will be interesting to see if the players effectively implement a plan B behind his back at times!

There were occasions in pre season where we hit it direct to the striker who chested it down for his team mate to shoot from

Also if you look back at wigan seasons they were incredibly direct with the ball at times.

PC isnt abject to being direct as it's going forwards. Something he wants his teams to do. What he doesnt want which is what he is referring to is players forgetting their specific roles and therefore effecting the shape of the team.

So for me it wont be players doing things behind his back it will be players trying more than the simple 10 yard pass.

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

What did Cook mean by this? on 21:21 - Aug 7 with 1822 viewsGarv

Hitting a long ball for a striker to flick on isn't a style, it's just football.

I don't doubt Cook would rather keep it on the floor, but why footballers can't think for themselves I don't know. Did seem odd that we waited so long to go direct. Norwood is pretty good in the air and Bonne isn't small, seemed obvious.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

What did Cook mean by this? on 21:24 - Aug 7 with 1790 viewstimothyeo

What did Cook mean by this? on 21:21 - Aug 7 by Garv

Hitting a long ball for a striker to flick on isn't a style, it's just football.

I don't doubt Cook would rather keep it on the floor, but why footballers can't think for themselves I don't know. Did seem odd that we waited so long to go direct. Norwood is pretty good in the air and Bonne isn't small, seemed obvious.

It might be obvious but if the manager has made it clear he doesn't want you to do it...
What did Cook mean by this? on 22:57 - Aug 7 with 1486 viewsxrayspecs

What did Cook mean by this? on 21:20 - Aug 7 by Vic

Yep, wasn’t implying he said anything wrong - was just surprised he said it in first game of season though. Guess his ‘saying it as it is’ is someth8ng we’ll just get used to.

Cook also commented about us not controlling the game once we equalised. We were too open and gave Morecambe opportunities. Evans and Harper should be protecting the back four. In chasing the game, they left us open at times.

Cook has a reputation for being straight talking, it is why a lot of players like working for him. They know what he wants.

His comments tonight were not negative nor judgemental, merely what he wants to see the CM do differently.
What did Cook mean by this? on 23:05 - Aug 7 with 1425 viewschrismakin

What did Cook mean by this? on 21:24 - Aug 7 by timothyeo

It might be obvious but if the manager has made it clear he doesn't want you to do it...

Go and watch some wigan games if you think PC only wants the ball on the grass and walked into the goal.

What did Cook mean by this? on 23:06 - Aug 7 with 1421 viewstimothyeo

What did Cook mean by this? on 22:57 - Aug 7 by xrayspecs

Cook also commented about us not controlling the game once we equalised. We were too open and gave Morecambe opportunities. Evans and Harper should be protecting the back four. In chasing the game, they left us open at times.

Cook has a reputation for being straight talking, it is why a lot of players like working for him. They know what he wants.

His comments tonight were not negative nor judgemental, merely what he wants to see the CM do differently.

Whilst I'm not a massive Cook fan so far, he is spot on here.

Our midfield was passed through with absolute ease by Morecambe of all sides. Needs addressing and quickly.
What did Cook mean by this? on 23:11 - Aug 7 with 1385 viewschrismakin

What did Cook mean by this? on 23:06 - Aug 7 by timothyeo

Whilst I'm not a massive Cook fan so far, he is spot on here.

Our midfield was passed through with absolute ease by Morecambe of all sides. Needs addressing and quickly.

But you dont want to give PC any time to address things with a new squad.

What did Cook mean by this? on 00:00 - Aug 8 with 1220 viewsMelford

He's got a lot more resources at his disposal now, at Pompey or Wigan it may been a case of needs must with the players he had then. He's pretty much hand-picked a whole new squad of players he wanted, we'll mix it up when we need to.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

What did Cook mean by this? on 10:06 - Aug 8 with 792 viewstimothyeo

What did Cook mean by this? on 23:11 - Aug 7 by chrismakin

But you dont want to give PC any time to address things with a new squad.

I thought basics like not being passed through the middle by a newly promoted side would have been addressed already, but regardless of what I want Cook is going to get a couple of months at least.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024