Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Afghanistan 07:22 - Aug 13 with 5146 viewsGuthrum

The situation is turning into a dreadful shambles. But should surprise nobody.

The US (and UK) have for two decades been propping up a partisan and fantastically corrupt regime far more interested in lining their own pockets than providing good government for the country. As a result, there isn't even the semblance of national unity - or an effective military, for all the money that's been invested in trying to create one.

It was always a house of cards, ready to collapse unless we continued to pour in our own treasure and lives. The moment we pull out, it has done so. Whether hasty or slow, the end result would have been the same.

Again, much suffering has been caused by an unwillingness to heed the lessons of history. Of the Soviet occupation, or the British efforts in the 19th century. Indeed of their own internal history. Afghanistan is a notoriously difficult place to control.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Afghanistan on 14:30 - Aug 13 with 1683 viewsTimefliesbyintheblue

Afghanistan on 12:32 - Aug 13 by Ryorry

That's probably the most undeniable thing I've ever seen posted on here outside of "Sir Bobby Robson was a top manager and human being"!

Stewart quit twice when the going got tough (it is always tough going in politics he chickened out). Threw his toys out of the pram when Johnson became leader (why didn't he stay and fight from within?), then resigned as running as an Independent for London Mayor when he realised he was not very popular in London and stood no chance. He also supports fox hunting - mmmmm, no thank you.
Afghanistan on 15:32 - Aug 13 with 1625 viewsRyorry

Afghanistan on 14:30 - Aug 13 by Timefliesbyintheblue

Stewart quit twice when the going got tough (it is always tough going in politics he chickened out). Threw his toys out of the pram when Johnson became leader (why didn't he stay and fight from within?), then resigned as running as an Independent for London Mayor when he realised he was not very popular in London and stood no chance. He also supports fox hunting - mmmmm, no thank you.

Yeah, and that all makes him worse than Johnson doesn't it

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Afghanistan on 15:35 - Aug 13 with 1618 viewsJ2BLUE

Why would you continue a campaign you had no chance in?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Afghanistan on 15:41 - Aug 13 with 1600 viewstractordownsouth

He dropped out when the election was posponed for a year because he didn't have the finances to fund an independent campaign during such a long period.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Afghanistan on 15:43 - Aug 13 with 1597 viewsDarth_Koont

Imperialism is a full-time affair. Totally unsuited to the 21st century (or indeed 20th Century) of course, but dipping in and out is just as bad.

Pronouns: He/Him

Afghanistan on 15:52 - Aug 13 with 1574 viewsnoggin

Afghanistan on 15:43 - Aug 13 by Darth_Koont

Imperialism is a full-time affair. Totally unsuited to the 21st century (or indeed 20th Century) of course, but dipping in and out is just as bad.

We've basically stuck a finger up at the Afghan people and said "Fack you lot, we're out of here."

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Afghanistan on 15:58 - Aug 13 with 1554 viewsDarth_Koont

Afghanistan on 15:52 - Aug 13 by noggin

We've basically stuck a finger up at the Afghan people and said "Fack you lot, we're out of here."

Cf the rest of the Middle East, North Africa, SouthEast Asia and Latin America if we’re talking us and/or our “special” US allies.

Soviets/Russians just as bad of course and China only marginally better in that they don’t stray too far from their own borders. And where they do e.g. Africa it’s through money not bombs and troops.

Pronouns: He/Him

Afghanistan on 16:12 - Aug 13 with 1520 viewsTimefliesbyintheblue

Afghanistan on 15:32 - Aug 13 by Ryorry

Yeah, and that all makes him worse than Johnson doesn't it

Login to get fewer ads

Afghanistan on 19:57 - Aug 13 with 1438 viewsBlueForYou

Its going to be a humanitarian disaster. A very serious issue, particularly as we were kind of policing it. Good on us that we are looking out for those that worked for us, & hopefully they can all be brought here safely. What a nightmare Afghanistan is. Taliban are an evil group, with no place in todays world. Their record & history is truely gruesome & frightening. All those righteous western world people should turn their fire & hatred towards this group in multiples. If they gain control, the inner terrorism that you & I will never hear of will be huge. Awful situation developing, not sure anyone really has the words. The west should reverse the decision to pull out.
[Post edited 13 Aug 2021 20:02]
Afghanistan on 20:13 - Aug 13 with 1414 viewsronnyd

Humanities propensity to mistreat their fellow human beings is not confined to the Taliban in Afganistan. It's been going on since the dawn of time. The Crusades, Conquistadors, Pol Pot, Rwanda, ISIS, where will it end? Hope i'm not being simplistic but can't see how the hell humans, (or some of them) will ever learn to live in harmony. Most want to but while we have people with agendas we will always get strife. It's just the nature of the beast. God, i wish i had an answer.
Afghanistan on 20:18 - Aug 13 with 1408 viewsSwansea_Blue

He's streets ahead of the people you continually make excuses for.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Afghanistan on 20:22 - Aug 13 with 1405 viewsLord_Lucan

Afghanistan on 19:57 - Aug 13 by BlueForYou

Its going to be a humanitarian disaster. A very serious issue, particularly as we were kind of policing it. Good on us that we are looking out for those that worked for us, & hopefully they can all be brought here safely. What a nightmare Afghanistan is. Taliban are an evil group, with no place in todays world. Their record & history is truely gruesome & frightening. All those righteous western world people should turn their fire & hatred towards this group in multiples. If they gain control, the inner terrorism that you & I will never hear of will be huge. Awful situation developing, not sure anyone really has the words. The west should reverse the decision to pull out.
[Post edited 13 Aug 2021 20:02]

It's all over the place and it can be seen many ways and people will put their own slant on it to suit their "Thing"

It can be seen as a disastrous entry and a disastrous exit - or you can look at it another way. We went in there with the Yanks to break up and destroy Al-Qaeda who had just attacked WTC, it must be said that for this part it was a success but there are so many variables with Afghanistan.

Some people question why we don't put boots on the ground into Rwanda or Burma etc etc etc if the purpose is to save suffering but let's not forget, it was really to smash Al-Qaeda who were a genuine threat to the west.

There is a big difference though (from what I have read and researched on the subject) with regards to the British Army and Uncle Sams approach. American military had a search and destroy policy and there was a split with the British forces over this as we wanted to create and develop while we were there. Uncle Sam though is just about carnage and that was a (the) big problem. We saw this in Iraq, they can say what they want but "Hearts and Minds" are not at the top of their list of duties.

The Taliban simply shot off into Pakistan and retrained and recruited, they have recently been engaged in underground conversations and deals with the Yanks and this has given them a bit of a lift - totally insane IMHO.

The way things are going right now Afghanistan will crumble quicker than South Vietnam.

This is just my take on things, anyone who thinks they know the answers or are holding some sort of divine knowledge of the rights and wrongs of what has gone on are in my very humble opinion a bit blinkered.

Edit. Oh, just to add. I think we should have stayed there and if not, I am sure we could have helped matters with a bit of air support. Seems to me that Biden has turned his back and that's the end of it.
[Post edited 13 Aug 2021 20:25]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Afghanistan on 20:37 - Aug 13 with 1355 viewsTimefliesbyintheblue

Afghanistan on 20:18 - Aug 13 by Swansea_Blue

He's streets ahead of the people you continually make excuses for.

'Continually make excuses for; - I haven't made an excuse for anyone even once! All I have done is made a preference to which you disagree.
Afghanistan on 20:38 - Aug 13 with 1355 viewsitfcjoe

Afghanistan on 20:22 - Aug 13 by Lord_Lucan

It's all over the place and it can be seen many ways and people will put their own slant on it to suit their "Thing"

It can be seen as a disastrous entry and a disastrous exit - or you can look at it another way. We went in there with the Yanks to break up and destroy Al-Qaeda who had just attacked WTC, it must be said that for this part it was a success but there are so many variables with Afghanistan.

Some people question why we don't put boots on the ground into Rwanda or Burma etc etc etc if the purpose is to save suffering but let's not forget, it was really to smash Al-Qaeda who were a genuine threat to the west.

There is a big difference though (from what I have read and researched on the subject) with regards to the British Army and Uncle Sams approach. American military had a search and destroy policy and there was a split with the British forces over this as we wanted to create and develop while we were there. Uncle Sam though is just about carnage and that was a (the) big problem. We saw this in Iraq, they can say what they want but "Hearts and Minds" are not at the top of their list of duties.

The Taliban simply shot off into Pakistan and retrained and recruited, they have recently been engaged in underground conversations and deals with the Yanks and this has given them a bit of a lift - totally insane IMHO.

The way things are going right now Afghanistan will crumble quicker than South Vietnam.

This is just my take on things, anyone who thinks they know the answers or are holding some sort of divine knowledge of the rights and wrongs of what has gone on are in my very humble opinion a bit blinkered.

Edit. Oh, just to add. I think we should have stayed there and if not, I am sure we could have helped matters with a bit of air support. Seems to me that Biden has turned his back and that's the end of it.
[Post edited 13 Aug 2021 20:25]

Charles Lister warns what is coming next for the West if the Afghan government does fall: “A Taliban-dominated Afghanistan promises al-Qaeda a guaranteed safe haven and desperately needed breathing space after two decades of relentless U.S. counterterrorism pressure. Al-Qaeda still owes the Taliban an oath of allegiance – that relationship was never going to be broken by negotiations with the West. The intelligence community’s capacity to monitor and intercept terrorism threats across Afghanistan has taken an enormous hit in 2021. Al-Qaeda strategists will have rarely been so happy since 9/11. That a Taliban victory looks possible before 9/11’s 20-year anniversary will be celebrated by jihadists worldwide. It is impossible to understate how significant this is likely to be for the jihadist movement worldwide – it will be reaped for years, if not decades, to come.”

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Afghanistan on 20:50 - Aug 13 with 1329 viewsLord_Lucan

Afghanistan on 20:38 - Aug 13 by itfcjoe

Charles Lister warns what is coming next for the West if the Afghan government does fall: “A Taliban-dominated Afghanistan promises al-Qaeda a guaranteed safe haven and desperately needed breathing space after two decades of relentless U.S. counterterrorism pressure. Al-Qaeda still owes the Taliban an oath of allegiance – that relationship was never going to be broken by negotiations with the West. The intelligence community’s capacity to monitor and intercept terrorism threats across Afghanistan has taken an enormous hit in 2021. Al-Qaeda strategists will have rarely been so happy since 9/11. That a Taliban victory looks possible before 9/11’s 20-year anniversary will be celebrated by jihadists worldwide. It is impossible to understate how significant this is likely to be for the jihadist movement worldwide – it will be reaped for years, if not decades, to come.”

Quite possibly, although I would think Al-Qaeda are a busted flush. They tried to reform in Africa but US underground ops wipe them out.

For all their dominance the Yanks are a bit weird, if someone is in their sights they will get them and Al-Qaeda are always in their sights.

ISIS also are not the force they were (if ever they really were as a stand alone combat organisation)

So what next? We will undoubtably see a new follow on from Al-Qaeda and ISIS but not sure the greater good have the stomach for Afghanistan anymore, I guess a blind eye will happen and all the shenanigans will be underreported and ultimately largely forgotten about.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Afghanistan on 20:51 - Aug 13 with 1328 viewsArnoldMoorhen

He was deselected as candidate whilst he was the sitting MP. Boris forced out all those who would constructively criticise him from within the Tory Party.

Facts matter. Don't spread misinformation.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-49579050
Afghanistan on 21:07 - Aug 13 with 1304 viewsTimefliesbyintheblue

Afghanistan on 20:51 - Aug 13 by ArnoldMoorhen

He was deselected as candidate whilst he was the sitting MP. Boris forced out all those who would constructively criticise him from within the Tory Party.

Facts matter. Don't spread misinformation.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-49579050

He himself resigned from the Tory Party, which I called as quitting - no misinformation there.
Afghanistan on 08:18 - Aug 14 with 1202 viewsshamboy

Afghanistan on 08:34 - Aug 13 by Lord_Lucan

You can't change 1000 years of history and culture in 20 years and don't forget The Taliban were once supported by the west when it suited them.

Now we are looking to the old warlords to step in - who are just as bad or worse.

There is no easy solution to this.

Ultimately I think more pressure should be put on Pakistan to help with this, but they won't.

We have changed the course of history in 20 years. We have legitimised and militarised the Taliban, radicalised swathes of the population, and decided Afghanistan's next 50 years.
Afghanistan on 13:04 - Aug 14 with 1138 viewsLord_Lucan

Afghanistan on 08:18 - Aug 14 by shamboy

We have changed the course of history in 20 years. We have legitimised and militarised the Taliban, radicalised swathes of the population, and decided Afghanistan's next 50 years.

Edit

Sorry, my initial response was a bit off the cuff and may have appeared a bit rude.

My edited post also came across rude when it was meant to be light hearted.

Apologies

Not sure what's come over me, I think I'm premenstrual.
[Post edited 14 Aug 2021 23:25]

Afghanistan on 10:18 - Aug 15 with 1016 viewsnoggin

Nearly 500 British servicemen dead, many more seriously injured, and all for what? Nothing to do all day but stay in bed.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024