Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
For the "4 in 20" and "living in the past" crews 16:42 - Aug 20 with 1488 viewsitfcserbia

While most of us are ready to give some time to recent developments to showcase their true potential, there are some who are calling for heads already (mid-august mind you). What I noticed is there are two distinct groups of people calling for this (forgive a certain level of generalisation). One is the "4 in 20" crew who is appalled with PC's record so far at Town. The other is "can we fall any lower and what good days were under Sir Bobby etc" crew.

So I decided to combine a retrospective for them and also anyone else feeling interested.

Paul Cook started mid-season and now is in his first full season with Town.
Same as Sir Bobby did back in 1969.

Paul Cook stats over that period:
P 20
W 4 (20%)
D 8 (40%)
L 8 (40%)
Points taken: 20 from 60 (33%)

Sir Bobby stats over that period (including his full first season):
P 58
W 17 (29%)
D 17 (29%)
L 24 (42%)
Points taken: 68 from 174 (39%)*

Furthermore, Sir Bobby stats over his first three and a half seasons:
P 142
W 40 (28%)
D 43 (30%)
L 59 (42%)
Points taken: 163 from 426 (38%)*

We all know what happened afterwards, thanks to time being given to Sir Bobby.

Also, a fun fact, if you consult the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography:
"Robson was not a tactical genius but he showed a talent for developing new players, with his good interpersonal skills, caring attitude, hard work and enthusiasm helping them to achieve their best."

Now I am not by any means saying PC is a new Bobby Robson but you can't argue he does have some of aforementioned traits. So how about giving until say October before we call for heads?

Oh, and as Phil mentioned in one of the articles, Oxford and Blackpool last season were 23rd and 19th at this time and we thrashed Blackpool.

* points adjusted to 3 for win, 1 for draw

Semper fidelis!
Poll: Would you sack Paul Cook?

For the "4 in 20" and "living in the past" crews on 16:45 - Aug 20 with 1442 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I think comparisons with Robson are fairly pointless.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

For the "4 in 20" and "living in the past" crews on 16:52 - Aug 20 with 1397 viewsCoastalblue

Is anybody calling for heads? Keep seeing people say it but not actually seen anybody do so other that anecdotally?

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

For the "4 in 20" and "living in the past" crews on 16:52 - Aug 20 with 1397 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

For the "4 in 20" and "living in the past" crews on 16:45 - Aug 20 by Marshalls_Mullet

I would agree but the essential point seems to be that it was only with quite some time and patience that SBR was able to get the team together and then playing to get anything other than mediocre (at best) end of term results.

Cook is no SBR and the new owners are no Cobbolds. The game, and fans' expectations, have move on too but patience is the key isn't it?

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

For the "4 in 20" and "living in the past" crews on 16:52 - Aug 20 with 1396 viewsPinewoodblue

For the "4 in 20" and "living in the past" crews on 16:45 - Aug 20 by Marshalls_Mullet

Presumably doing a straight comparison of Robson's first 20 games didn't fit in with what the OP wanted to convey.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

For the "4 in 20" and "living in the past" crews on 17:04 - Aug 20 with 1341 viewsHerbivore

Nobody is calling for his head, ffs.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

For the "4 in 20" and "living in the past" crews on 17:06 - Aug 20 with 1331 viewsHighgateBlue

For many many reasons, not least that Cook's record for us has been in the Third Division. We are without doubt financial heavyweights in this division. We even were last season.
For the "4 in 20" and "living in the past" crews on 17:14 - Aug 20 with 1287 viewsjayessess

Tiring to keep having to rebut this, but...

Relative to the size of the club, having a middling record in the top division is above par management, having a middling record in the third division is below par.

3 games is nothing, we will improve. There is no need for this specious comparison to reappear.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

For the "4 in 20" and "living in the past" crews on 17:15 - Aug 20 with 1281 viewsmonty_radio

Especially since McGarry had got us up to the top division with a workmanlike side, and Robson was trying to keep us hanging in there for the first two seasons while the already old players got older and some were kicking out against him.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Login to get fewer ads

For the "4 in 20" and "living in the past" crews on 18:27 - Aug 20 with 1180 viewsBloomBlue

The trouble with any Sir Bob comparison is that people will add hindsight. As I've said before if social media had been around when Sir Bob first started at Town the demand for sacking him would have been overwhelming. Plus the attacks on the Cobbolds from the fans would have been at the same level as those against Evan's when he was continuing to support Lambert.
The one difference was the Cobbolds would mostly ignore the fans so would have continued to support Sir Bob
For the "4 in 20" and "living in the past" crews on 18:42 - Aug 20 with 1148 viewsPrideOfTheEast

People are comparing Robson to Cook? Why?

Nobody is calling for him to be sacked but he does need to be and will be judged by results. Let’s see where we are in 10 games time
[Post edited 20 Aug 2021 18:56]
For the "4 in 20" and "living in the past" crews on 20:41 - Aug 20 with 1010 viewspennyfathersleg

Firstly, I’m not Cook out! I will say that I am yet to be convinced.

Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink has been in charge of Burton for 8 games more than Cook has been at town. He took over when they were bottom of the league and pretty much everyone thought they were already relegated. They won 15 from 24 last season when he came in.

In the summer, Burton got rid of 13 players and brought in 12. Not as big a churn as us, but considering their squad was smaller than ours, it’s a bigger churn, percentage wise. They have 9 points from 9 in the league this season.

JFH’s stats at Burton for this stint are: played 28, won 16, drawn 6 and lost 6. (That’s a 57% win rate!)

Would that be a fairer comparison!?
For the "4 in 20" and "living in the past" crews on 20:53 - Aug 20 with 988 viewspatrickswell

As others have said, the comparison is specious and irrelevant. Even during those 58 games you cite, Town were still able to post victories over Manchester United, Arsenal and defending league champions Manchester City. Not to mention draws with Liverpool and future league champions Everton. Furthermore they were underdogs in each game.

To be coming out with a solitary point from games against Morecambe, Burton and Cheltenham is not a worthy comparison, especially given that we were favourites in those games.

If a Town manager got Ipswich back to the Premier League and returned results analogus to those in Robson's early seasons, they would be lauded to the skies and rightly so.
But they're going to take deserved criticism if they keep dropping points to virtually everyone in the third tier, which is all Cook has done since he's been here - admittedly not helped by some poor performances by defenders and strikers who've frozen when faced with great chances.
For the "4 in 20" and "living in the past" crews on 20:58 - Aug 20 with 979 viewsSwansea_Blue

Looks like you’ve misread the general consensus. The vast majority seem to think he needs time and I’ve not seen a single person calling for his sacking. A useful reminder that sometimes managers need time. There are plenty more who haven’t gone on to improve after a slow start as well. Nobody can know which camp Cook will end up in yet.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

For the "4 in 20" and "living in the past" crews on 22:35 - Aug 20 with 875 viewsdavblue

For the "4 in 20" and "living in the past" crews on 20:41 - Aug 20 by pennyfathersleg

Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink has been in charge of Burton for 8 games more than Cook has been at town. He took over when they were bottom of the league and pretty much everyone thought they were already relegated. They won 15 from 24 last season when he came in.

In the summer, Burton got rid of 13 players and brought in 12. Not as big a churn as us, but considering their squad was smaller than ours, it’s a bigger churn, percentage wise. They have 9 points from 9 in the league this season.

JFH’s stats at Burton for this stint are: played 28, won 16, drawn 6 and lost 6. (That’s a 57% win rate!)

You could argue that Burton’s style of play is easier to implement than ours.
For the "4 in 20" and "living in the past" crews on 08:15 - Aug 21 with 708 viewsOldboy

For the "4 in 20" and "living in the past" crews on 20:41 - Aug 20 by pennyfathersleg

Spot on. I will judge by results and so far Cook has failed. Obviously give it time, but not so much that another season is gone. I say he needs to improve rapidly.1 point from 9 simply isn't good enough. As for comparing managers, give it a rest.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024