Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Unusual military aircraft regularly about here over past 3 weeks or so 21:58 - Aug 24 with 2057 viewsRyorry

Always in last couple of hours of daylight here in N. Yorks, flying pretty low - no more than 400 feet up. Usually a pair flying together. Have there been similar in Suffolk? Mostly looking like this -

https://www.herefordtimes.com/news/19271520.strange-aircraft-spotted-herefordshi

But another this eve looking like a more conventional small military mono-plane with propellers - I think just one on each side - looking a bit more like this but in military grey -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_C-23_Sherpa

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Unusual military aircraft regularly about here over past 3 weeks or so on 22:15 - Aug 24 with 1713 viewsKeno

this may help

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Unusual military aircraft regularly about here over past 3 weeks or so on 22:15 - Aug 24 with 1706 viewsfabian_illness

Seen a few like that around here, first one I saw was over Elmswell and I was a bit taken aback as I’d never seen one before. But seen a few more since around Wattisham, Hadleigh, Needham areas.
Unusual military aircraft regularly about here over past 3 weeks or so on 22:17 - Aug 24 with 1687 viewsRyorry

Unusual military aircraft regularly about here over past 3 weeks or so on 22:15 - Aug 24 by Keno

this may help

Heh!

Unusual military aircraft regularly about here over past 3 weeks or so on 22:18 - Aug 24 with 1688 viewsGuthrum

Used to see the Ospreys at Mildenhall a few years ago.

Took them a while to get the stability right ...

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Unusual military aircraft regularly about here over past 3 weeks or so on 22:21 - Aug 24 with 1674 viewsRyorry

Unusual military aircraft regularly about here over past 3 weeks or so on 22:18 - Aug 24 by Guthrum

Used to see the Ospreys at Mildenhall a few years ago.

Took them a while to get the stability right ...

Eeek - did the pilot survive?

First time seen oop 'ere - anything to do with Afghanistan maybe?

Unusual military aircraft regularly about here over past 3 weeks or so on 22:21 - Aug 24 with 1683 viewsstonojnr

fairly regularly, they are based at Mildenhall for one thing, they are CV-22 Ospreys, been busy dropping troops in the North Sea off Bawdsey/Felixstowe as part of an exercise this week I believe

they rather infamously landed at Addenbrooke hospitals air ambulance helipad, and the down draft from the rotors wrecked it when they took off again

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/cambridge-news/united-states-air-force-add
[Post edited 24 Aug 2021 22:23]
Unusual military aircraft regularly about here over past 3 weeks or so on 22:22 - Aug 24 with 1664 viewsRyorry

Unusual military aircraft regularly about here over past 3 weeks or so on 22:21 - Aug 24 by stonojnr

fairly regularly, they are based at Mildenhall for one thing, they are CV-22 Ospreys, been busy dropping troops in the North Sea off Bawdsey/Felixstowe as part of an exercise this week I believe

they rather infamously landed at Addenbrooke hospitals air ambulance helipad, and the down draft from the rotors wrecked it when they took off again

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/cambridge-news/united-states-air-force-add

Ah - cheers. Error with video tho.

Unusual military aircraft regularly about here over past 3 weeks or so on 22:25 - Aug 24 with 1657 viewsstonojnr

Unusual military aircraft regularly about here over past 3 weeks or so on 22:22 - Aug 24 by Ryorry

Ah - cheers. Error with video tho.

yeah it must be embedded with the article or something I copied the link from, Ive changed it to the newspaper article so you can see it that way
[Post edited 24 Aug 2021 22:26]
Login to get fewer ads

Unusual military aircraft regularly about here over past 3 weeks or so on 22:30 - Aug 24 with 1631 viewsGuthrum

Unusual military aircraft regularly about here over past 3 weeks or so on 22:21 - Aug 24 by Ryorry

Don't know for certain, but I believe so. Fairly low-level, low speed crash.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Unusual military aircraft regularly about here over past 3 weeks or so on 22:30 - Aug 24 with 1631 viewsRyorry

Unusual military aircraft regularly about here over past 3 weeks or so on 22:25 - Aug 24 by stonojnr

yeah it must be embedded with the article or something I copied the link from, Ive changed it to the newspaper article so you can see it that way
[Post edited 24 Aug 2021 22:26]

Cheers, and eek again! Great footage of the plane tho, confirms the ID.

Unusual military aircraft regularly about here over past 3 weeks or so on 22:31 - Aug 24 with 1622 viewsRyorry

Unusual military aircraft regularly about here over past 3 weeks or so on 22:30 - Aug 24 by Guthrum

Don't know for certain, but I believe so. Fairly low-level, low speed crash.

Good to hear, thanks.

Unusual military aircraft regularly about here over past 3 weeks or so on 07:25 - Aug 25 with 1382 viewseastangliaisblue

Unusual military aircraft regularly about here over past 3 weeks or so on 22:21 - Aug 24 by stonojnr

I see them training a few miles out at sea last year off the coast of Old Felixstowe. They make one hell of a racket.
Unusual military aircraft regularly about here over past 3 weeks or so on 07:41 - Aug 25 with 1345 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

Every other day from Mildenhall heading over to Ely
Unusual military aircraft regularly about here over past 3 weeks or so on 08:36 - Aug 25 with 1250 viewsIpswichKnight

Get a lot of Army helicopters here as very close to army helicopter base at odiham, not uncommon to hear multiple Chinooks flying but with no navigation lights on.

Seen the Ospreys a couple of times and when Trumpy was here had a few USMC super stallions which were impressively big and noisy!

Ryorry as your in Hereford area it was probably a special forces exercise.
Unusual military aircraft regularly about here over past 3 weeks or so on 09:16 - Aug 25 with 1188 viewsElephantintheRoom

If they are Ospreys you'd know it from the noise as well as the unusual rotors. A favourite steed of the US special forces which is unfortunate as they take ages to warm up and you can hear them coming from miles away.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Unusual military aircraft regularly about here over past 3 weeks or so on 11:24 - Aug 25 with 1097 viewsRyorry

Unusual military aircraft regularly about here over past 3 weeks or so on 08:36 - Aug 25 by IpswichKnight

Get a lot of Army helicopters here as very close to army helicopter base at odiham, not uncommon to hear multiple Chinooks flying but with no navigation lights on.

Seen the Ospreys a couple of times and when Trumpy was here had a few USMC super stallions which were impressively big and noisy!

Ryorry as your in Hereford area it was probably a special forces exercise.

Um - as I said, I'm in N. Yorks not Hereford! only used that article for the pic.

Unusual military aircraft regularly about here over past 3 weeks or so on 11:27 - Aug 25 with 1091 viewscatch74

Unusual military aircraft regularly about here over past 3 weeks or so on 22:21 - Aug 24 by Ryorry

Where are you Ryorry, I’m up near Yarm, went to Runswick Bay yesterday and heard what sounded like low flying military aircraft but didn’t actually see what it was.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Unusual military aircraft regularly about here over past 3 weeks or so on 11:28 - Aug 25 with 1091 viewsRyorry

Unusual military aircraft regularly about here over past 3 weeks or so on 09:16 - Aug 25 by ElephantintheRoom

If they are Ospreys you'd know it from the noise as well as the unusual rotors. A favourite steed of the US special forces which is unfortunate as they take ages to warm up and you can hear them coming from miles away.

One helluva racket indeed, esp when flying in pairs - my dog was really scared!

Unusual military aircraft regularly about here over past 3 weeks or so on 11:35 - Aug 25 with 1074 viewsSwansea_Blue

Sounds like they were ok.

"June 1991
A miswired flight control system led to two minor injuries when the left nacelle struck the ground while the aircraft was hovering 15 feet (4.6 m) in the air, causing it to bounce and catch fire on 11 June 1991.[1][5][6] The pilot, Grady Wilson, suspected that he may have accidentally set the throttle lever the opposite direction to that intended, exacerbating the crash if not causing it."

Bit of a rookie error if he set the throttle wrongly. Almost Evans-esque in it's rookie errorness.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accidents_and_incidents_involving_the_V-22_Osprey
[Post edited 25 Aug 2021 11:35]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Unusual military aircraft regularly about here over past 3 weeks or so on 11:38 - Aug 25 with 1062 viewsRyorry

Unusual military aircraft regularly about here over past 3 weeks or so on 11:27 - Aug 25 by catch74

Where are you Ryorry, I’m up near Yarm, went to Runswick Bay yesterday and heard what sounded like low flying military aircraft but didn’t actually see what it was.

Pm'd you 👍

Unusual military aircraft regularly about here over past 3 weeks or so on 11:41 - Aug 25 with 1055 viewsRyorry

Unusual military aircraft regularly about here over past 3 weeks or so on 11:35 - Aug 25 by Swansea_Blue

Sounds like they were ok.

"June 1991
A miswired flight control system led to two minor injuries when the left nacelle struck the ground while the aircraft was hovering 15 feet (4.6 m) in the air, causing it to bounce and catch fire on 11 June 1991.[1][5][6] The pilot, Grady Wilson, suspected that he may have accidentally set the throttle lever the opposite direction to that intended, exacerbating the crash if not causing it."

Bit of a rookie error if he set the throttle wrongly. Almost Evans-esque in it's rookie errorness.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accidents_and_incidents_involving_the_V-22_Osprey
[Post edited 25 Aug 2021 11:35]

Reading that accident record, I'd say my dog was right to be scared!

Unusual military aircraft regularly about here over past 3 weeks or so on 11:49 - Aug 25 with 1034 viewsronnyd

Unusual military aircraft regularly about here over past 3 weeks or so on 09:16 - Aug 25 by ElephantintheRoom

Yeah, hardly stealth are they. I live in Bury St. Eds. so see them regularly. Make a hell of a racket when they go over. To me, they seem even louder than the Chinooks.
Unusual military aircraft regularly about here over past 3 weeks or so on 11:59 - Aug 25 with 1016 viewsSwansea_Blue

Unusual military aircraft regularly about here over past 3 weeks or so on 11:41 - Aug 25 by Ryorry

Reading that accident record, I'd say my dog was right to be scared!

i wouldn't be too happy going in one!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Unusual military aircraft regularly about here over past 3 weeks or so on 12:01 - Aug 25 with 1014 viewsMeadowlark

No-one has suggested that both sightings could be the same aircraft. The propellers can swing around on the wing.
Apologies if I'm stating the obvious.
Unusual military aircraft regularly about here over past 3 weeks or so on 12:20 - Aug 25 with 995 viewsRyorry

Unusual military aircraft regularly about here over past 3 weeks or so on 12:01 - Aug 25 by Meadowlark

No-one has suggested that both sightings could be the same aircraft. The propellers can swing around on the wing.
Apologies if I'm stating the obvious.

Oh - will be interesting to consider that on the next sighting (probably won't get any more now, doh in advance!).

Somehow doubt they're same one tho, the 'plane' on Monday evening seemed slightly smaller, and was flying more like a plane (banking on a curved path) - whereas the craft in the previous sightings were flying only like you'd expect choppers to when going from A - B, on a level, straight course.
[Post edited 25 Aug 2021 12:20]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024