Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cristiano Ronaldo, 111 goals in 180 games for Portugal 22:05 - Sep 1 with 3015 viewsdominiciawful

The all-time men's international goals record and only 15 away from equally the men's caps record.

Bit of a freak, really.

Poll: Which manager of the Marcus Evans era do you dislike the most?

Cristiano Ronaldo, 111 goals in 180 games for Portugal on 08:53 - Sep 2 with 682 viewsBloomBlue

Cristiano Ronaldo, 111 goals in 180 games for Portugal on 22:33 - Sep 1 by BlueBadger

Fair play to him, there's very few that can fall over in or near the penalty area like he does.

At least Eric Gates did falling over with a bit of flair. He made it an art form, footballers these days don't have any respect for their profession
Cristiano Ronaldo, 111 goals in 180 games for Portugal on 09:02 - Sep 2 with 681 viewsMattinLondon

Cristiano Ronaldo, 111 goals in 180 games for Portugal on 08:53 - Sep 2 by BloomBlue

At least Eric Gates did falling over with a bit of flair. He made it an art form, footballers these days don't have any respect for their profession

I take it that Eric Gates liked a dive?
Cristiano Ronaldo, 111 goals in 180 games for Portugal on 09:12 - Sep 2 with 673 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Ronaldo is one of the greats, he will be remembered forever. I place him as the greatest from this century. All this arguing over who is the best, it is just an opinion. Messi is incredible, another who will always be remembered and a completely different type of player to Ronaldo. We have been lucky to have two of the greatest ten players to have ever played football starring in this era.

Maradona was the complete footballer and he had to put up with being kicked all the time. Same with Pele, Best and Cruyff.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Cristiano Ronaldo, 111 goals in 180 games for Portugal on 09:21 - Sep 2 with 661 viewsBloomBlue

Cristiano Ronaldo, 111 goals in 180 games for Portugal on 09:02 - Sep 2 by MattinLondon

I think his size helped in being smaller he quickly understood that a challenge from a taller player often looked ungainly (unfair) and resulted in a freekick for him and then he developed that into an art form of diving. Many a freekick in a dangerous area was won by Gates with a slight dive. But he did it with so much more flair, too many footballers these days make it look so obvious
Cristiano Ronaldo, 111 goals in 180 games for Portugal on 10:12 - Sep 2 with 624 viewsbrazil1982

Ronaldo and Messi have a remarkable injury (free) record too.
Cristiano Ronaldo, 111 goals in 180 games for Portugal on 10:19 - Sep 2 with 612 viewsMattinLondon

Cristiano Ronaldo, 111 goals in 180 games for Portugal on 09:21 - Sep 2 by BloomBlue

I think his size helped in being smaller he quickly understood that a challenge from a taller player often looked ungainly (unfair) and resulted in a freekick for him and then he developed that into an art form of diving. Many a freekick in a dangerous area was won by Gates with a slight dive. But he did it with so much more flair, too many footballers these days make it look so obvious

But is that due to the fact that there are now tens of different angles all in glorious HD ultra slow motion that makes any dive look obvious? Whereas back then, you might well have had a couple from yards away which made a dive look less obvious?
Cristiano Ronaldo, 111 goals in 180 games for Portugal on 10:20 - Sep 2 with 605 viewsHerbivore

Cristiano Ronaldo, 111 goals in 180 games for Portugal on 10:19 - Sep 2 by MattinLondon

But is that due to the fact that there are now tens of different angles all in glorious HD ultra slow motion that makes any dive look obvious? Whereas back then, you might well have had a couple from yards away which made a dive look less obvious?

I dunno, it's easy to see that Neymar is a massive fanny without the aid of a replay.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Cristiano Ronaldo, 111 goals in 180 games for Portugal on 10:25 - Sep 2 with 595 viewsbrazil1982

Cristiano Ronaldo, 111 goals in 180 games for Portugal on 10:20 - Sep 2 by Herbivore

I dunno, it's easy to see that Neymar is a massive fanny without the aid of a replay.

I went to a Barcelona match a few years back. Messi was glorious. Neymar - what a fraud. When he got the ball he done one of these:

1. fell over
2. fell over
3. screamed if it wasn't delivered exactly to his feet.
4. ran a little and fell over.

It was a disgraceful performance.
Login to get fewer ads

Cristiano Ronaldo, 111 goals in 180 games for Portugal on 10:29 - Sep 2 with 590 viewsHerbivore

Cristiano Ronaldo, 111 goals in 180 games for Portugal on 10:25 - Sep 2 by brazil1982

I went to a Barcelona match a few years back. Messi was glorious. Neymar - what a fraud. When he got the ball he done one of these:

1. fell over
2. fell over
3. screamed if it wasn't delivered exactly to his feet.
4. ran a little and fell over.

It was a disgraceful performance.

He's a proper little scrote. Embarrassing.

Cristiano Ronaldo, 111 goals in 180 games for Portugal on 10:53 - Sep 2 with 568 viewsGarv

Cristiano Ronaldo, 111 goals in 180 games for Portugal on 09:12 - Sep 2 by The_Last_Baron

Ronaldo is one of the greats, he will be remembered forever. I place him as the greatest from this century. All this arguing over who is the best, it is just an opinion. Messi is incredible, another who will always be remembered and a completely different type of player to Ronaldo. We have been lucky to have two of the greatest ten players to have ever played football starring in this era.

Maradona was the complete footballer and he had to put up with being kicked all the time. Same with Pele, Best and Cruyff.

Beauty of the whole thing is that you can't really compare Messi and Ronaldo because they're so different. it's nature vs nurture essentially.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Cristiano Ronaldo, 111 goals in 180 games for Portugal on 10:55 - Sep 2 with 572 viewsitfcjoe

Cristiano Ronaldo, 111 goals in 180 games for Portugal on 08:07 - Sep 2 by Swailsey

Hard to make an argument against him being the greatest player of all time really. He’s simply incredible.

It really isn't - it's hard to make an argument that he isn't "one of the greatest players of all time", but it's incredibly easy to argue that he isn't "THE greatest player of all time"

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Cristiano Ronaldo, 111 goals in 180 games for Portugal on 11:05 - Sep 2 with 560 viewsJDB23

I always think of Messi v Ronaldo a bit like Federer v Nadal. Silky skills with unreal natural technical ability v someone with a high technical ability but incredible strength, power and determination to win.

I’ve always preferred Nadal to Federer. I also think Ronaldo’s achievements outweigh Messi’s but I think it’s fair to say Messi is the most naturally gifted footballer of all time.
Cristiano Ronaldo, 111 goals in 180 games for Portugal on 11:11 - Sep 2 with 555 viewsHerbivore

Cristiano Ronaldo, 111 goals in 180 games for Portugal on 11:05 - Sep 2 by JDB23

I always think of Messi v Ronaldo a bit like Federer v Nadal. Silky skills with unreal natural technical ability v someone with a high technical ability but incredible strength, power and determination to win.

I’ve always preferred Nadal to Federer. I also think Ronaldo’s achievements outweigh Messi’s but I think it’s fair to say Messi is the most naturally gifted footballer of all time.

Not sure that quite works. Tennis is an individual sport whereas football is a team game. If you look at their individual stats, Messi scores more goals and has way more assists, but he also offers more to a team as well imo, not just through the assists but through the chances he creates and his ability to dictate a game. For me he is a much more complete player than Ronaldo.

Cristiano Ronaldo, 111 goals in 180 games for Portugal on 11:13 - Sep 2 with 553 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Always good when TWTD turns into the comments section on Facebook

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Cristiano Ronaldo, 111 goals in 180 games for Portugal on 11:14 - Sep 2 with 552 viewsMattinLondon

Cristiano Ronaldo, 111 goals in 180 games for Portugal on 11:11 - Sep 2 by Herbivore

Not sure that quite works. Tennis is an individual sport whereas football is a team game. If you look at their individual stats, Messi scores more goals and has way more assists, but he also offers more to a team as well imo, not just through the assists but through the chances he creates and his ability to dictate a game. For me he is a much more complete player than Ronaldo.

A little out-of-date but the statistics for both players are absolutely phenomenal.

https://messivsronaldo.net/all-time-stats/
Cristiano Ronaldo, 111 goals in 180 games for Portugal on 11:21 - Sep 2 with 539 viewsHerbivore

Cristiano Ronaldo, 111 goals in 180 games for Portugal on 11:14 - Sep 2 by MattinLondon

A little out-of-date but the statistics for both players are absolutely phenomenal.

https://messivsronaldo.net/all-time-stats/

They are, amazing stats for both players. For me it's what Messi offers other than just goals that makes him the more complete and better player. That he scores at the rate he does whilst doing everything else he does is phenomenal.

Cristiano Ronaldo, 111 goals in 180 games for Portugal on 11:43 - Sep 2 with 513 viewsJDB23

Cristiano Ronaldo, 111 goals in 180 games for Portugal on 11:11 - Sep 2 by Herbivore

Obviously I’m not comparing directly like for like, I just see similarities between the two. I agree Messi is the better all round player, I’m still not sure who I’d want in my team in an absolute must win game though.
Cristiano Ronaldo, 111 goals in 180 games for Portugal on 11:54 - Sep 2 with 506 viewschicoazul

He’ll make Man U worse this season just like he did for the last 3 at Juve where he failed catastrophically.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Cristiano Ronaldo, 111 goals in 180 games for Portugal on 11:59 - Sep 2 with 489 viewsDyland

Cristiano Ronaldo, 111 goals in 180 games for Portugal on 09:02 - Sep 2 by MattinLondon

"Penalty ref" was one of my most abiding memories of early days at PR. I loved Gates. Brazil too.

The cultured know-everything Town fans always say Beat, Wark or Mariner, but for me it's a tie between Gates and Brazil, so meh. Taking into account general service, obvs Wark. For the record, loike.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Cristiano Ronaldo, 111 goals in 180 games for Portugal on 12:06 - Sep 2 with 476 viewsMattinLondon

Cristiano Ronaldo, 111 goals in 180 games for Portugal on 11:54 - Sep 2 by chicoazul

He’ll make Man U worse this season just like he did for the last 3 at Juve where he failed catastrophically.

Exactly this.
Apart from wining the title over there, scoring over 80 goals in 100 or so games, winning the Italian cup and being their leagues highest scorer - What did he do?
Cristiano Ronaldo, 111 goals in 180 games for Portugal on 12:08 - Sep 2 with 467 viewsHerbivore

Cristiano Ronaldo, 111 goals in 180 games for Portugal on 12:06 - Sep 2 by MattinLondon

Exactly this.
Apart from wining the title over there, scoring over 80 goals in 100 or so games, winning the Italian cup and being their leagues highest scorer - What did he do?

Left them after they failed to win the title for the first time in about a million years.

Cristiano Ronaldo, 111 goals in 180 games for Portugal on 12:09 - Sep 2 with 465 viewsMattinLondon

Cristiano Ronaldo, 111 goals in 180 games for Portugal on 11:21 - Sep 2 by Herbivore

They are, amazing stats for both players. For me it's what Messi offers other than just goals that makes him the more complete and better player. That he scores at the rate he does whilst doing everything else he does is phenomenal.

It all depends on what you mean by a complete player - if you include defensive abilities then Ronaldo, for his aerial ability is better than Messi. But, you can easily make a case for both.
Cristiano Ronaldo, 111 goals in 180 games for Portugal on 12:10 - Sep 2 with 459 viewsMattinLondon

Cristiano Ronaldo, 111 goals in 180 games for Portugal on 12:08 - Sep 2 by Herbivore

Left them after they failed to win the title for the first time in about a million years.

And Messi left Barcelona because?
Cristiano Ronaldo, 111 goals in 180 games for Portugal on 12:16 - Sep 2 with 446 viewschicoazul

Cristiano Ronaldo, 111 goals in 180 games for Portugal on 12:06 - Sep 2 by MattinLondon

Exactly this.

He was brought in for one thing and he failed to do it. He made them worse and saw them lose the league for the first time in years. As an aside he has left them nearly bankrupt too.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Cristiano Ronaldo, 111 goals in 180 games for Portugal on 12:20 - Sep 2 with 438 viewsitfcjoe

Cristiano Ronaldo, 111 goals in 180 games for Portugal on 12:16 - Sep 2 by chicoazul

He was brought in for one thing and he failed to do it. He made them worse and saw them lose the league for the first time in years. As an aside he has left them nearly bankrupt too.

An interesting phenomenon now, where the super players earn so much money, that they leave the overall squad hamstrung as can't afford to put enough around him.

Can see the same happening with Haaland next summer

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024