Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Things I’ve learnt since learning to drive. 14:17 - Sep 6 with 3595 viewsMattinLondon

Around ten months ago I learnt to drive - very late in life compared to most people. Anyway, whilst reflecting on this and being surprised that I haven’t crashed I’ve learnt a few things about which I dislike or tolerant about driving. Things I didn’t think twice about before I passed. I’m no particular order I’ve learnt that….

1. I’ve now developed a strong dislike for people who load their cars up in supermarket car parks but then can’t be bothered to actually wheel the trolley back to the trolley park. But instead simply leave it in an adjacent parking space not caring that that space is needed by others.

2. Anyone who claims that they suffer from road rage is a bell end.

3. There’s no such thing as road rage.

4. A lot of people with massive cars don’t actually know how big their cars are especially at junctions where the front of their car overhangs the adjoining road.

5. Most people are actually quite patient when behind the wheel.

Just wondered what new life skills others have learnt after developing a new skill or maybe even a new change in circumstance?
Things I’ve learnt since learning to drive. on 18:13 - Sep 6 with 524 viewsSimonds92

Things I’ve learnt since learning to drive. on 15:33 - Sep 6 by Swansea_Blue

I'd say you're proving his point quite nicely!

Research on whether driving more aggressively or more quickly saves any journey time and the results seem to show it's negligible at best. Unless it's over very long journeys, any gains from lane hopping, speeding and the like are likely to be wiped out by congestion and traffic lights. And even over long journeys, getting stuck behind a lorry doing 60 on a dual carriageway for 10 minutes is going to make very little difference.

Congestion would be significantly decreased if the last 2 things i mention didn't happen. Also, if the research is correct, this should be made clear to the lorry drivers so they dont worry about overtaking their mate for 5+ minutes.
Things I’ve learnt since learning to drive. on 18:30 - Sep 6 with 506 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Things I’ve learnt since learning to drive. on 14:56 - Sep 6 by Stenvict

What I find with driving is, it's all about confidence. I see so many drivers concentrating so much on their actual driving that they forget basic things, mainly moving over into the inside lane on a motorway when not overtaking. The same can be said for coming up to roundabouts, check as you come up to it, don't stop and look around.

Often being in Milton Keynes I can testify as to how annoying those people are. How hard is it to glance to your right upon approaching a roundabout? You'd think people who live in a city of roundabouts would have worked it out but alas no.

Other annoying driving traits....

1. Tailgating, esp when the only reason I'm doing 55 is because so is the bloke in front and the bloke in front of him and the bloke....Because its busy and tbe above mentioned individual who sits in the fast lane despite not overtaking is at the head of it all.

2. Wait to the last moment to pull out in front of me, despite the fact that there was no one in front of me and you had time, turn off again 25m up the road.

3. Fog lights on when it's not foggy, your not Colin McRae hooning round a pea souper on a night stage, you're a middle aged man on the m6 at 4.30pm

4. Taking up 2 bays in the car park because only your car is special. No, only the driver is special.

5. RBS, random breaking syndrome or people who feel the need to break for every car coming in the other direction

6. People that let nobody else out

7. People who let everybody out

8. Middle lane sitters.... I do donuts round them

9. People who can only drive 45 miles an hour regardless of whether the limit is 60 or 30

10. People who don't know how to pull out of junctions
[Post edited 6 Sep 2021 18:50]

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Things I’ve learnt since learning to drive. on 18:33 - Sep 6 with 504 viewseastangliaisblue

Things I’ve learnt since learning to drive. on 17:51 - Sep 6 by Cheltenham_Blue

This. Pretending the give way lines at a roundabout turn it into some kind of slip road is the new thing. And the age old ignoring the lanes because they must apex the corner.

Glad it's not just me noticed this. Why is it a fairly recent thing? Or has it always been that way?
Things I’ve learnt since learning to drive. on 18:36 - Sep 6 with 496 viewsMattinLondon

Things I’ve learnt since learning to drive. on 18:30 - Sep 6 by BlueandTruesince82

Often being in Milton Keynes I can testify as to how annoying those people are. How hard is it to glance to your right upon approaching a roundabout? You'd think people who live in a city of roundabouts would have worked it out but alas no.

1. Tailgating, esp when the only reason I'm doing 55 is because so is the bloke in front and the bloke in front of him and the bloke....Because its busy and tbe above mentioned individual who sits in the fast lane despite not overtaking is at the head of it all.

2. Wait to the last moment to pull out in front of me, despite the fact that there was no one in front of me and you had time, turn off again 25m up the road.

3. Fog lights on when it's not foggy, your not Colin McRae hooning round a pea souper on a night stage, you're a middle aged man on the m6 at 4.30pm

4. Taking up 2 bays in the car park because only your car is special. No, only the driver is special.

5. RBS, random breaking syndrome or people who feel the need to break for every car coming in the other direction

9. People who can only drive 45 miles an hour regardless of whether the limit is 60 or 30

4. This is going to sound daft but until I actually parked in bays I had no idea how big most of them actually are (granted not all of them) as they look smaller from a distance. And then you see cars more akin to tanks overflowing in them and realise just how big they are as well.

I realise that these points may indeed sound silly.
7. Mini Roundabouts..... on 19:52 - Sep 6 with 456 viewsTrequartista

7. Mini Roundabouts..... on 15:25 - Sep 6 by Bloots

....remain a mystery to a lot of drivers.

Particularly if they are over 60.

Or female (there I've said it)

Two things that crop up again and again with mini-roundabouts,

1) If it's a three-way mini-roundabout junction with what would otherwise be a small road joining a larger road at a t-junction, a large percentage of drivers do not realise they have to give way to the traffic coming from the small road to the right.

2) You don't have honking rights over someone who has not given way to you, if you've cut down their reaction time by driving right over the mini-roundabout to turn right.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Things I’ve learnt since learning to drive. on 20:49 - Sep 6 with 417 viewsbefxblue

Things I’ve learnt since learning to drive. on 18:30 - Sep 6 by BlueandTruesince82

Totally agree on point 5, I've always thought that all that random breakers are achieving is giving the oncoming vehicles more time to swerve into their lane, increasing the likelihood of a head on.
Things I’ve learnt since learning to drive. on 20:57 - Sep 6 with 409 viewsBluesky

Things I’ve learnt since learning to drive. on 15:29 - Sep 6 by norfsufblue

On single track roads you always seem to meet oncoming traffic at the narrowest point !

Yes and drivers of "off road" vehicles are hardly ever willing to take their vehicle onto the verge to let you go past if you don't happen to be driving one yourself.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024