Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
6bn Speedo move 09:37 - Sep 14 with 1864 viewsMoriarty

Moving from the U.K. to Ireland to benefit from EU freedoms and regulatory environment.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/uk-owner-of-speedo-shift

fka omuircheartaigh

6bn Speedo move on 09:42 - Sep 14 with 1821 viewsmylittletown

Looks more like a tax related move, despite the carefully worded statement
6bn Speedo move on 09:42 - Sep 14 with 1820 viewsBlueBadger

Probably the fault of the Labour party and remainers not Getting Behind Their Country.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

6bn Speedo move on 09:43 - Sep 14 with 1822 viewsWeWereZombies

Pentland need to be careful if they move the Mitre brand at the same time as Speedo - just in case they have some Nodge players in those boots, they don't want the budgie smuggler alert going off...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

6bn Speedo move on 09:46 - Sep 14 with 1796 viewschicoazul

I have a brilliant Speedo joke but it would get me banned if I told it. Trust me it cracks everyone up. It’s almost as good as my Auschwitz one.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

6bn Speedo move on 09:50 - Sep 14 with 1778 viewsbluefunk

So nothing at all to do with the lower Corporation Tax rate in Ireland then……
6bn Speedo move on 09:57 - Sep 14 with 1747 viewsMattinLondon

6bn Speedo move on 09:42 - Sep 14 by BlueBadger

Probably the fault of the Labour party and remainers not Getting Behind Their Country.

It’s rejoiners now, not remainers.
6bn Speedo move on 10:05 - Sep 14 with 1724 viewsMoriarty

6bn Speedo move on 09:42 - Sep 14 by mylittletown

Looks more like a tax related move, despite the carefully worded statement

Could be, but isn’t there soon to be a minimum rate of 15% and if it was solely tax related, why didn’t they move sooner?

fka omuircheartaigh

6bn Speedo move on 10:08 - Sep 14 with 1713 viewsMoriarty

6bn Speedo move on 09:50 - Sep 14 by bluefunk

So nothing at all to do with the lower Corporation Tax rate in Ireland then……

That rate will likely be increasing. Why only move now if the rate was there for ages?

If it was solely tax rate orientated, the Netherlands would have been at least as good an option.

fka omuircheartaigh

Login to get fewer ads

6bn Speedo move on 10:16 - Sep 14 with 1692 viewsMoriarty

I wonder if there will be more damage for both U.K. and Ireland?

I’ve heard here and there that as we emerge from COVID, we’ll get a clearer picture of how bad brexit might actually affect our respective economies. COVID has, as it were, been masking the beast.

fka omuircheartaigh

6bn Speedo move on 10:23 - Sep 14 with 1670 viewsnoggin

*there country

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

6bn Speedo move on 10:24 - Sep 14 with 1665 viewsKeno

does this mean Joe Royle will have to travel to Ireland to get his next pair of green ones?

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

6bn Speedo move on 10:25 - Sep 14 with 1665 viewsWeWereZombies

6bn Speedo move on 09:57 - Sep 14 by MattinLondon

It’s rejoiners now, not remainers.

There is little point in the United Kingdom as a whole joining the European Union again as it stands. The Leavers have nixed all the advantages we had, like compulsory adoption of the Euro being something we could opt out of, and some of which their beloved Thatch gained for us.

Either by concession or maximal devolution or outright break up of an older Union there may be firmer links with the European Union, or one or two nations going through the long process of accession (which will involve adoption of the Euro) or new blocs will emerge, driven by economic and environmental necessities - which in turn may see national security realignments.

6bn Speedo move on 10:30 - Sep 14 with 1646 viewsWeWereZombies

6bn Speedo move on 10:23 - Sep 14 by noggin

*there country

*or England, despite them living in another country (by which I mean Scotland, Northern Ireland or Wales - the Union with Norway is one for the future...)

6bn Speedo move on 10:34 - Sep 14 with 1637 viewsMoriarty

6bn Speedo move on 10:25 - Sep 14 by WeWereZombies

There is little point in the United Kingdom as a whole joining the European Union again as it stands. The Leavers have nixed all the advantages we had, like compulsory adoption of the Euro being something we could opt out of, and some of which their beloved Thatch gained for us.

Either by concession or maximal devolution or outright break up of an older Union there may be firmer links with the European Union, or one or two nations going through the long process of accession (which will involve adoption of the Euro) or new blocs will emerge, driven by economic and environmental necessities - which in turn may see national security realignments.

With the scale of national debts post COVID, national economies will need every advantage they can get.

Will Scotland have a vote in the next few years?

SF are ploughing ahead in the polls here (a sad indictment of things) and they are pushing for a border poll. It would cost the South 25Bn a year for unity which might mean it’s a no from the North. And from the South.

fka omuircheartaigh

6bn Speedo move on 10:36 - Sep 14 with 1624 viewsTractorWood

It's definitely not regulatory. I'd wager it's corp tax related.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

6bn Speedo move on 11:34 - Sep 14 with 1536 viewschicoazul

6bn Speedo move on 10:34 - Sep 14 by Moriarty

With the scale of national debts post COVID, national economies will need every advantage they can get.

SF are ploughing ahead in the polls here (a sad indictment of things) and they are pushing for a border poll. It would cost the South 25Bn a year for unity which might mean it’s a no from the North. And from the South.

Buried in the GF agreement is an option for a referendum on reunification which I am sure will happen sometime in the next 20 years.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

6bn Speedo move on 13:29 - Sep 14 with 1421 viewsBasingstokeBlue

6bn Speedo move on 09:46 - Sep 14 by chicoazul

I have a brilliant Speedo joke but it would get me banned if I told it. Trust me it cracks everyone up. It’s almost as good as my Auschwitz one.

Does it involve smuggling the budgies out of the Premier League?

Poll: What do you think of the three stars being relocated?

6bn Speedo move on 13:30 - Sep 14 with 1422 viewsArnoldMoorhen

6bn Speedo move on 11:34 - Sep 14 by chicoazul

Buried in the GF agreement is an option for a referendum on reunification which I am sure will happen sometime in the next 20 years.

It's not exactly buried, it's Constitutional Issue 1, the first item of substance in the Agreement after the preamble, and the bedrock of the Belfast/Good Friday Agreement: both the Eire and UK Governments commit to ensure that the future status of Northern Ireland as either part of the United Kingdom or not shall always be according to the democratically expressed consent of the people of Northern Ireland.

And that Unification would be dependent on the democratically expressed consent of the people of both Eire and Northern Ireland.

But it doesn't say how or when such consent should be sought, or how often it might be.
6bn Speedo move on 14:39 - Sep 14 with 1346 viewsbluelagos

6bn Speedo move on 13:30 - Sep 14 by ArnoldMoorhen

It's not exactly buried, it's Constitutional Issue 1, the first item of substance in the Agreement after the preamble, and the bedrock of the Belfast/Good Friday Agreement: both the Eire and UK Governments commit to ensure that the future status of Northern Ireland as either part of the United Kingdom or not shall always be according to the democratically expressed consent of the people of Northern Ireland.

And that Unification would be dependent on the democratically expressed consent of the people of both Eire and Northern Ireland.

But it doesn't say how or when such consent should be sought, or how often it might be.

Careful with those facts Arnie...

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

6bn Speedo move on 15:22 - Sep 14 with 1304 viewsgordon

6bn Speedo move on 10:36 - Sep 14 by TractorWood

It's definitely not regulatory. I'd wager it's corp tax related.

Yes, that just looks like a tax move and nothing to do with brexit.
6bn Speedo move on 15:51 - Sep 14 with 1261 viewsWeWereZombies

6bn Speedo move on 10:34 - Sep 14 by Moriarty

I think Westminster blocking it is the only thing to prevent IndyRef#2, although blocking it may just accelerate a de facto independence social structure. The best way to maintain the Union is for more of England to act decently towards the other nations (and towards some of the English regions), just about everyone gains if the economy and power relations are rebalanced.

6bn Speedo move on 16:53 - Sep 14 with 1198 viewsleitrimblue

Is this likely to reduce the price of Speedos in Ireland? Asking for a friend
6bn Speedo move on 17:06 - Sep 14 with 1173 viewsKeno

6bn Speedo move on 16:53 - Sep 14 by leitrimblue

Is this likely to reduce the price of Speedos in Ireland? Asking for a friend

the ones "your friend" were wearing last year looked lovely

[Post edited 14 Sep 2021 17:06]

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

6bn Speedo move on 17:09 - Sep 14 with 1153 viewsleitrimblue

6bn Speedo move on 17:06 - Sep 14 by Keno

the ones "your friend" were wearing last year looked lovely

[Post edited 14 Sep 2021 17:06]

There a tad big an baggy for me, I mean my friend
6bn Speedo move on 18:51 - Sep 14 with 1048 viewsfactual_blue

6bn Speedo move on 10:30 - Sep 14 by WeWereZombies

*or England, despite them living in another country (by which I mean Scotland, Northern Ireland or Wales - the Union with Norway is one for the future...)

I'd rather the union be with Denmark. Sandi Toksvig as President.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024