Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Did you enjoy School? 10:42 - Sep 17 with 4163 viewshype313

My son said to me yesterday "Dad did you like School"? and to be honest it's not something I've ever really thought about, but it did get me thinking "Did I?" And on the whole I probably didn't, I enjoyed the 4th and 5th year of high school, more for the social aspect, but before that I found it quite unpleasant.

Maybe that was due to the fact that I wasn't mature enough or intelligent enough to try and make the most of what I was getting for free, in more recent years I have attended college in the evening to learn Spanish which has been great fun, but that's down to the fact that I want to learn, I want to engage, rather than it being imposed on me.

So in the end I told a white lie, I said I did, because I want him to understand that it is a great opportunity and I don't want him to view it in the same light as me, due to my immaturity at the time.

But on the whole, I'd have to say I don't look back with very fond memories.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Did you enjoy School? on 15:41 - Sep 17 with 639 viewsEwan_Oozami

Did you enjoy School? on 12:24 - Sep 17 by itfcjoe

From my limited experiences of it - the top public schools give you a confidence which is often unwarranted but can help get you into better positions because people can't see through it.........plus whilst it is connections in some ways, it also gives you an idea of how to properly plot a career because you are associating with people that have got the more aspirational jobs that you have more learning chances into how/why they got there.

I didn't go to a top public school, but I was a scholarship student, my Dad was a self-employed plumber and Mum worked in Sainsburys - they didn't have the first clue what to do with careers, schooling, uni etc.....but at 15 I was doing work experience off my own back at the Actuarial department at Norwich Union, getting train up there every day etc.....I'd never have had the confidence to do that had I gone to local state school, and would never have even know what an actuary was let alone want to be one at that time (I wasn't as sad as that sounds.....was sick on the train for my last day as had only got in from Kartouche at 3am the night before...!)

I'd be able to give my children much more advice into how to get into careers than I was able to receive, through no fault of my parents - and that is the key really - you get much more chances to fail.

"the top public schools give you a confidence which is often unwarranted but can help get you into better positions because people can't see through it"

Absolutely! Mrs O went to Woodbridge (ok, not quite a top public school..) and even now she can say something so totally ridiculous with such authority that I'll have trouble refuting it!!

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Did you enjoy School? on 16:05 - Sep 17 with 621 viewsRobTheMonk

Enjoyed some lessons, but hated Maths. Mainly because the teacher was a bit unpredictable. Funnily enough, I ended up being his football captain 10 years later.
Did you enjoy School? on 16:16 - Sep 17 with 607 viewshype313

Did you enjoy School? on 16:05 - Sep 17 by RobTheMonk

Enjoyed some lessons, but hated Maths. Mainly because the teacher was a bit unpredictable. Funnily enough, I ended up being his football captain 10 years later.

When it got to the 80th minute, did you say to him come on for the last 20?

Did you enjoy School? on 16:22 - Sep 17 with 588 viewsRobTheMonk

Did you enjoy School? on 16:16 - Sep 17 by hype313

When it got to the 80th minute, did you say to him come on for the last 20?

Told him we were playing 4-4-3
Did you enjoy School? on 16:36 - Sep 17 with 579 viewshype313

Did you enjoy School? on 16:22 - Sep 17 by RobTheMonk

Told him we were playing 4-4-3

Maybe if we tried that, we might get a point tomorrow.

Did you enjoy School? on 17:05 - Sep 17 with 554 viewsSwansea_Blue

Did you enjoy School? on 13:39 - Sep 17 by J2BLUE

I went to HSBC as well.

I was in the Lloyds Massive, down on the Cornhill. I'm not sure I realised how lucky I was back then given I was surrounded by young lasses all dolled up (although they were a few years older and scared the hell out of me if I'm honest).

The bank was great, they gave me a shot at loads of different things from the back office logging cheques through to working on the counters (under close watch!). It was far better than the office placement I had. It was in a lovely complex on the edge of town and we had to get an employee bus there, but they pretty much the highlight as they stuck me in the mail room all week. I did get some exercise delivering and picking up post I suppose. It was on the banks of the Orwell, so think that might have been Wherstead Park. just Googled it and it looks like it was back when Eastern Electricity had their HQ there.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Did you enjoy School? on 17:10 - Sep 17 with 542 views_sanctimoanious_

Did you enjoy School? on 11:07 - Sep 17 by itfcjoe

People used to say 'these are the best days of your life' and even then I thought I can see why.

I was naturally quite intelligent at school which meant I didn't need to work particularly hard, could get away with doing the bare minimum and scrawling homework down before school etc so for me it was just seeing my mates every day, playing lots of sport, and just going out a lot with what are now life long friends.

My tough times were around exam results, because I didn't do as well as I should have done, because I didn't put the work in (as mentioned above).....but I still got where I needed to get to....until i got caught out at uni and dropped out as the lack of work ethic into my studies finally caught up with me! I'd got into a top university despite doing fúck all for 7 years at school bar the bare minimum so had had a good run!

If I could go back now and do it again, I let myself down and let some amazing opportunities slip by - but I am what I am so no doubt it wouldn't be any different.

I've just finished a part time degree, and took exactly the same approach of doing the bare minimum and walked away with a good degree - so it would be naive to think I'd be any different - if it doesn't engage me then I can't go the extra mile, luckily my work generally does and I've got on alright in jobs I've had and progressed!

Wow
Did you enjoy School? on 17:34 - Sep 17 with 513 viewsghostofescobar

The point of school for me was seeing my mates and dicking about a bit. Generally I hated it. Left school with poor exam grades. Yet, I've ended up ok. I'm going to sound like a knobhead now, but I've worked my way to a very well paid job that i enjoy, lovely house, able to give my kids most things (they aren't spoiled, they know the value of stuff), cars, holidays (when we could), all that cr@p. My wife got loads of O Levels, A Levels, top Uni grades - I mean seriously, top stuff all the way through, but has never been able to stick with "normal" work - too stressful for her. So my salary means my wife doesn't have to work, which can hugely impact her mental health, and that also makes me happy. So exams aren't everything. My youngest is autistic and is unlikely to take any exams, but that's not important, his happiness is. I've learnt to really, really place a value on someones mental health, beyond anything.

GhostOfEscobar

Login to get fewer ads

Did you enjoy School? on 18:24 - Sep 17 with 477 viewsfactual_blue

Did you enjoy School? on 14:03 - Sep 17 by judespiveyg

As I'm now entering my second year of uni and am therefore only about a year out of high school, I can look back without too much influence of nostalgia goggles.

I loved school, I was always strong academically and have always found a lot of satisfaction from working hard for exams and getting good grades. Without wishing to blow my own trumpet, I was a high achiever throughout school and smashed all my exams. I knew it didn't necessarily mean loads outside of school but I took a lot of pride in doing well academically.

But the real enjoyment I got from school (and still do at uni) was throwing myself into a load of extra curricular activities. The school I went to has a brilliant music department for a state school, with two incredibly enthusiastic teachers running it and as a musician I was able to join a plethora of choirs, ensembles and orchestras, which I had loads of fun doing. I was in the school production every year which was always great fun.

I also loved the time I spent playing sport. As much as I enjoyed playing for the Tennis, Cricket and Football (which I captained in my final year) teams, the house matches were what I mostly looked forward to, a brilliant laugh because they were only semi serious and you got to play against all your mates. Sports Day was always good.

I think experience of high school can be highly dependent on what you do outside of lessons, if I hadn't done extra curricular stuff, it would have been a place where I was only going to work hard, which psychologically would change the perception and might make you dread it a little bit.

'High school'?

Are you an American?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Did you enjoy School? on 18:28 - Sep 17 with 471 viewsEwan_Oozami

Did you enjoy School? on 18:24 - Sep 17 by factual_blue

'High school'?

Are you an American?

The term "Big School" has now been replaced...

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Did you enjoy School? on 18:33 - Sep 17 with 468 viewsfactual_blue

Did you enjoy School? on 18:28 - Sep 17 by Ewan_Oozami

The term "Big School" has now been replaced...

They are secondary schools.

Discerning pupils went to Grammar Schools. The rest went to Secondary Moderns, which they left at fifteen. Although 'Greaser' Jaycock left my Grammar School at the age of fifteen.

Did you enjoy School? on 19:43 - Sep 17 with 432 viewsJ2BLUE

Did you enjoy School? on 18:33 - Sep 17 by factual_blue

They are secondary schools.

Discerning pupils went to Grammar Schools. The rest went to Secondary Moderns, which they left at fifteen. Although 'Greaser' Jaycock left my Grammar School at the age of fifteen.

Must have been a bitch for you with viking invasions interrupting your lessons.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Did you enjoy School? on 19:49 - Sep 17 with 423 viewsfactual_blue

Did you enjoy School? on 19:43 - Sep 17 by J2BLUE

Must have been a bitch for you with viking invasions interrupting your lessons.

As one of the discerning forty-eight per cent, I have always welcomed input from different cultures.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024