Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Did you enjoy School? 10:42 - Sep 17 with 4164 viewshype313

My son said to me yesterday "Dad did you like School"? and to be honest it's not something I've ever really thought about, but it did get me thinking "Did I?" And on the whole I probably didn't, I enjoyed the 4th and 5th year of high school, more for the social aspect, but before that I found it quite unpleasant.

Maybe that was due to the fact that I wasn't mature enough or intelligent enough to try and make the most of what I was getting for free, in more recent years I have attended college in the evening to learn Spanish which has been great fun, but that's down to the fact that I want to learn, I want to engage, rather than it being imposed on me.

So in the end I told a white lie, I said I did, because I want him to understand that it is a great opportunity and I don't want him to view it in the same light as me, due to my immaturity at the time.

But on the whole, I'd have to say I don't look back with very fond memories.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Did you enjoy School? on 12:34 - Sep 17 with 1263 viewschicoazul

I have long thought most people don’t enjoy school. Like so many things, old days quickly become good old days in the minds eye. But I also think school or more specifically lessons, aren’t there to be enjoyed.

Edit; to answer the q specifically I didn’t enjoy it but I didn’t hate it either, it just “was”.
[Post edited 17 Sep 2021 12:39]

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Not really.... on 12:37 - Sep 17 with 1260 viewsBloots

...I lived on a brilliant Essex council estate with all my mates.

But because I was incredibly clever I ended up going to the Grammar school 10 miles away while all my mates went to the Comp over the road from where we all lived.

Everyone at school thought I was scum and everyone at home thought I was posh.

Happy days!

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Did you enjoy School? on 12:37 - Sep 17 with 1250 viewshype313

Cheers for all the comments, been quite eye opening, the general feeling is most didn't overly enjoy it, which is what I took from it.

Obviously ability plays a part, Steve, Joe and others had the aptitude to cruise through subjects which makes it a more palatable experience.

I found subjects quite pedestrian, but didn't have the desire or ambition at the time to do anything more than the bear minimum at the time, whilst my sister blitzed her GCSE's, A-Levels, Degree and then a Masters, which is why I didn't bother, partly because I saw the dedication she put into it and I didn't fancy it, and partly as a stupid rebellious streak.

As another put, if I knew then what I knew now I would have given it the full beans.

As George Bernard Shaw put it "Youth is wasted on the Young"

Did you enjoy School? on 12:39 - Sep 17 with 1236 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Did you enjoy School? on 12:13 - Sep 17 by J2BLUE

No it was crap.

Sixth Form was marginally better but at the same time worse.

When people say it is the best time of your life they are talking about the time outside of school IMO. Having a ton of free time to spend with your mates. I look back on summers which seemed to last forever where I went to the park virtually every day with a big group of mates and played football from the moment the park opened until it got too dark to see the ball.

I think my life probably hit a peak about age 10 which is rather sad really but whatever.

TWTD.

I used to count the days down to the school holidays. Worked at the local golf club a day or two a week for some pocket money cadging a few woodbine off Terry the green keeper and cutting the greens. Rest of the time spent fishing and messing around with my mates. Dreaded going back to school in September.
We did have a couple of excellent teachers, Catweazel Ketteringham taught history and was always banging on about communism to the extent that we thought he must be a Soviet spy, but he was an interesting chap and treated us like adults for the most part. The geography teacher was also another who was great at keeping my attention and to this day I’ve had a big interest in travel and learning about other countries and their culture.
I’m going to a school reunion in November and it will be interesting to see who turns up, who are still with us and what they have done with their lives since 1977 when we left to make our way in the world.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Did you enjoy School? on 12:45 - Sep 17 with 1224 viewsFreddiesearsismagic

Did you enjoy School? on 11:07 - Sep 17 by itfcjoe

People used to say 'these are the best days of your life' and even then I thought I can see why.

I was naturally quite intelligent at school which meant I didn't need to work particularly hard, could get away with doing the bare minimum and scrawling homework down before school etc so for me it was just seeing my mates every day, playing lots of sport, and just going out a lot with what are now life long friends.

My tough times were around exam results, because I didn't do as well as I should have done, because I didn't put the work in (as mentioned above).....but I still got where I needed to get to....until i got caught out at uni and dropped out as the lack of work ethic into my studies finally caught up with me! I'd got into a top university despite doing fúck all for 7 years at school bar the bare minimum so had had a good run!

If I could go back now and do it again, I let myself down and let some amazing opportunities slip by - but I am what I am so no doubt it wouldn't be any different.

I've just finished a part time degree, and took exactly the same approach of doing the bare minimum and walked away with a good degree - so it would be naive to think I'd be any different - if it doesn't engage me then I can't go the extra mile, luckily my work generally does and I've got on alright in jobs I've had and progressed!

Hahahaha

I would have made it as pro footballer if I hadn’t broken my arm when I was 9
Did you enjoy School? on 12:57 - Sep 17 with 1204 viewsitfcjoe

Did you enjoy School? on 12:29 - Sep 17 by textbackup

i'm sure everyone i know from a normal school done work experience with no issues? surely thats just done to the person, and not the school?

I meant the type of it and how it was arranged - I know from when my sister was there it was just here's a list of things, find one and apply and get on with it - sure she got something out of it but was more a box ticking exercise at the time with support from the school.

I know had I gone to Chantry I'd have a good time and done ok, but needed to be pushed a bit more as wasn't able to push myself in that way and ended up getting lots more options because of it so was lucky in that respect

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Did you enjoy School? on 13:17 - Sep 17 with 1153 viewsblue62

Arrrr fond memories. Nope. Can't say I enjoyed school too much.

Some subjects were ok but only if the teacher was decent. Some we spent days just writing down what he read from a book.

One of the joys was seeing if you could make it to break without getting electrocuted with a cattle prod. The joys of a Suffolk country school.
Did you enjoy School? on 13:29 - Sep 17 with 1137 viewstextbackup

Did you enjoy School? on 12:57 - Sep 17 by itfcjoe

I meant the type of it and how it was arranged - I know from when my sister was there it was just here's a list of things, find one and apply and get on with it - sure she got something out of it but was more a box ticking exercise at the time with support from the school.

I know had I gone to Chantry I'd have a good time and done ok, but needed to be pushed a bit more as wasn't able to push myself in that way and ended up getting lots more options because of it so was lucky in that respect

i'm honestly not sure how we went about WE actually, must have been a list to pick from, as i wouldnt have gone for HSBC otherwise!

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Login to get fewer ads

Not really.... on 13:32 - Sep 17 with 1126 viewshomer_123

Not really.... on 12:37 - Sep 17 by Bloots

But because I was incredibly clever I ended up going to the Grammar school 10 miles away while all my mates went to the Comp over the road from where we all lived.

Happy days!

You lived in Great Bentley?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Did you enjoy School? on 13:36 - Sep 17 with 1114 viewsLesta_Tractor

I really didn't enjoy school at all but I loved years 2-4 at Uni.

1:23:47, 38:26
Poll: What is more important to you?

Did you enjoy School? on 13:37 - Sep 17 with 1110 viewsitfcjoe

Did you enjoy School? on 13:29 - Sep 17 by textbackup

i'm honestly not sure how we went about WE actually, must have been a list to pick from, as i wouldnt have gone for HSBC otherwise!

Not a budding Wolf of Wall Street back then?!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Did you enjoy School? on 13:39 - Sep 17 with 1101 viewsJ2BLUE

I went to HSBC as well.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Did you enjoy School? on 13:41 - Sep 17 with 1096 viewshype313

I spent two weeks at Natwest, it was at that point I decided banking wasn't for me.

Did you enjoy School? on 13:49 - Sep 17 with 1077 viewsJ2BLUE

Did you enjoy School? on 13:41 - Sep 17 by hype313

I spent two weeks at Natwest, it was at that point I decided banking wasn't for me.

What did you do?

I just made tea, sat around and counted a few bundles of notes. Oh and updated a database on their computer.

Was quite tedious. Like stuck in limbo between student and worker.

Truly impaired.

Did you enjoy School? on 13:51 - Sep 17 with 1080 viewsReuser_is_God

My memories of school....

Primary school - playing football
High school - playing football, tennis, cricket & fingering girls

Bloody loved it

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Did you enjoy School? on 13:54 - Sep 17 with 1073 viewstextbackup

Did you enjoy School? on 13:37 - Sep 17 by itfcjoe

Not a budding Wolf of Wall Street back then?!

could barely even point out princess street!

Did you enjoy School? on 13:55 - Sep 17 with 1069 viewstextbackup

Did you enjoy School? on 13:39 - Sep 17 by J2BLUE

I went to HSBC as well.

in Ipswich?

Did you enjoy School? on 13:58 - Sep 17 with 1059 viewsJ2BLUE

Did you enjoy School? on 13:55 - Sep 17 by textbackup

in Ipswich?

There was this one day event at HSBC where they showed you around the town centre branch etc. My teacher asked who wanted to go and in an out of character show of enthusiasm I must have volunteered. While I was there I mentioned I wanted to do work experience there but someone else got it so they phoned the Woodbridge Road East branch and I went there.

Truly impaired.

Did you enjoy School? on 14:01 - Sep 17 with 1052 viewstextbackup

Did you enjoy School? on 13:58 - Sep 17 by J2BLUE

There was this one day event at HSBC where they showed you around the town centre branch etc. My teacher asked who wanted to go and in an out of character show of enthusiasm I must have volunteered. While I was there I mentioned I wanted to do work experience there but someone else got it so they phoned the Woodbridge Road East branch and I went there.

ah cool.
i remember the ladies in there telling me Dyer banked with them, and they often looked to see what he was being paid!

fair play, i'd do the same.

Did you enjoy School? on 14:03 - Sep 17 with 1056 viewsjudespiveyg

As I'm now entering my second year of uni and am therefore only about a year out of high school, I can look back without too much influence of nostalgia goggles.

I loved school, I was always strong academically and have always found a lot of satisfaction from working hard for exams and getting good grades. Without wishing to blow my own trumpet, I was a high achiever throughout school and smashed all my exams. I knew it didn't necessarily mean loads outside of school but I took a lot of pride in doing well academically.

But the real enjoyment I got from school (and still do at uni) was throwing myself into a load of extra curricular activities. The school I went to has a brilliant music department for a state school, with two incredibly enthusiastic teachers running it and as a musician I was able to join a plethora of choirs, ensembles and orchestras, which I had loads of fun doing. I was in the school production every year which was always great fun.

I also loved the time I spent playing sport. As much as I enjoyed playing for the Tennis, Cricket and Football (which I captained in my final year) teams, the house matches were what I mostly looked forward to, a brilliant laugh because they were only semi serious and you got to play against all your mates. Sports Day was always good.

I think experience of high school can be highly dependent on what you do outside of lessons, if I hadn't done extra curricular stuff, it would have been a place where I was only going to work hard, which psychologically would change the perception and might make you dread it a little bit.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

Did you enjoy School? on 14:06 - Sep 17 with 1036 viewshype313

Did you enjoy School? on 13:49 - Sep 17 by J2BLUE

What did you do?

I just made tea, sat around and counted a few bundles of notes. Oh and updated a database on their computer.

Was quite tedious. Like stuck in limbo between student and worker.

Memory is a little jaded, but I remember spending a week in the high street back office watching people do reconciliation, then a week in the Tavern St branch sat next to clerks processing cheques, all very dull, although a mate at the time was doing his at RBS and we used to go the Mulberry tree at luchtime as they didn't operate an over 18 policy...

Did you enjoy School? on 14:08 - Sep 17 with 1036 viewshype313

Did you enjoy School? on 14:03 - Sep 17 by judespiveyg

As I'm now entering my second year of uni and am therefore only about a year out of high school, I can look back without too much influence of nostalgia goggles.

I loved school, I was always strong academically and have always found a lot of satisfaction from working hard for exams and getting good grades. Without wishing to blow my own trumpet, I was a high achiever throughout school and smashed all my exams. I knew it didn't necessarily mean loads outside of school but I took a lot of pride in doing well academically.

But the real enjoyment I got from school (and still do at uni) was throwing myself into a load of extra curricular activities. The school I went to has a brilliant music department for a state school, with two incredibly enthusiastic teachers running it and as a musician I was able to join a plethora of choirs, ensembles and orchestras, which I had loads of fun doing. I was in the school production every year which was always great fun.

I also loved the time I spent playing sport. As much as I enjoyed playing for the Tennis, Cricket and Football (which I captained in my final year) teams, the house matches were what I mostly looked forward to, a brilliant laugh because they were only semi serious and you got to play against all your mates. Sports Day was always good.

I think experience of high school can be highly dependent on what you do outside of lessons, if I hadn't done extra curricular stuff, it would have been a place where I was only going to work hard, which psychologically would change the perception and might make you dread it a little bit.

That's probably where I went wrong, my extra curricular activities were somewhat different to yours..

Hindsight's a wonderful thing.

Did you enjoy School? on 14:57 - Sep 17 with 998 viewsBlueStreak

I did mine at Solar Bowl, what a two weeks that was!
Did you enjoy School? on 15:25 - Sep 17 with 979 viewsVic

I enjoyed primary school, but not middle or upper (as they were in my day!)

My memories of primary school were of having a load of fun. I really don’t remember having any pressure or expectation.

Middle and high school were horrible. I had an older brother and sister who were both model pupils who worked really hard and were high achievers; the expectation from the teachers was that I’d be the same. I however was physically very small and incredibly immature and just wanted to have fun like I did at primary; I was never really naughty but all I wanted to do was play sports so I really didn’t concentrate and put in minimum effort in anything else. Trouble was that for me that wasn’t enough and I was always only ever average, which brought out the inevitable comparisons with my older siblings, which I hated.

I did one year of 6th form to re sit a few O levels but couldn’t wait to leave and my usual minimal effort produced the usual lower than average results!

I really don’t look back at school with any fondness and regret how immature I acted. Trouble is, I know I haven’t really changed because despite now having a job in which I’m responsible for over 150 people I’m still the same person and so often struggle with impostor syndrome!

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Not really.... on 15:38 - Sep 17 with 957 viewsEwan_Oozami

Not really.... on 12:37 - Sep 17 by Bloots

Happy days!

GRAMMAR SCHOOL???

IN ESSEX??

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024