Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cook's interview on Quest does him no credit 00:52 - Sep 30 with 5176 viewsCaptMickMills

Challenging but fair questions asked after Bolton game put Cook on the spot.

His reaction last night to same interviewer was petty and uncalled for. Perhaps it is indicative of the pressure that Cook has been feeling but not impressed. Interviewer doing his job.

I am still supportive of Cook but disappointed by this interview which doesn't put Cook or Town in a good light.
Cook's interview on Quest does him no credit on 01:34 - Sep 30 with 3668 viewstextbackup

can they take points away from us for him being shtty with an interviewer? no..... so don't care
[Post edited 30 Sep 2021 3:18]

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Cook's interview on Quest does him no credit on 01:37 - Sep 30 with 3665 viewsquirkie

He made himself look a right fanny, but hey ho he's no Brian Clough.

Poll: How long will we be in League One/League Two from next season?

Cook's interview on Quest does him no credit on 02:38 - Sep 30 with 3621 viewsIllinoisblue

You would have hated Sir Alex as manager then

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Cook's interview on Quest does him no credit on 08:05 - Sep 30 with 3352 viewsPattiswickBlue

Fair questions? What kind of amateurish question is “Is it in the coaching?”. For a qualified journalist to ask a question like that is bonkers.
Cook's interview on Quest does him no credit on 09:47 - Sep 30 with 3093 viewsOsborneOneNil

Disagree. I thought that was sound, the guy had been a dick last game so Cookie wasn’t interested in speaking to him this week.

Good lad.
Cook's interview on Quest does him no credit on 09:57 - Sep 30 with 3039 viewsDarth_Koont

Cook's interview on Quest does him no credit on 08:05 - Sep 30 by PattiswickBlue

Fair questions? What kind of amateurish question is “Is it in the coaching?”. For a qualified journalist to ask a question like that is bonkers.

Jeez. I (just about) understand the need for post-game content. But asking managers or players questions all seems a bit pointless anyway. And provocative, leading questions like that make no sense.

Better to just interview a pundit talking about the game and then there can be an exchange of opinions.

Pronouns: He/Him

Cook's interview on Quest does him no credit on 11:31 - Sep 30 with 2848 viewsBluefish

It shows he is feeling the pressure badly. No matter how much some supporters dress it up as not concerning it is simple he has to take us up this season or he has spectacularly failed. A very big win has made a big difference in running the belief around but Cook will know he has no lifelines left so is probably desperate for media support

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Cook's interview on Quest does him no credit on 12:31 - Sep 30 with 2687 viewsabracaDOBRA_

You ask stupid questions you get stupid answers.
Login to get fewer ads

Cook's interview on Quest does him no credit on 12:49 - Sep 30 with 2615 viewsOsborneOneNil

Cook's interview on Quest does him no credit on 11:31 - Sep 30 by Bluefish

It shows he is feeling the pressure badly. No matter how much some supporters dress it up as not concerning it is simple he has to take us up this season or he has spectacularly failed. A very big win has made a big difference in running the belief around but Cook will know he has no lifelines left so is probably desperate for media support

Never a day off.....lolz
Cook's interview on Quest does him no credit on 13:22 - Sep 30 with 2490 viewsTooManyCooks

Cook's interview on Quest does him no credit on 12:49 - Sep 30 by OsborneOneNil

Never a day off.....lolz

I'm quite impressed by his persistence, it's just a shame it isn't directed towards something constructive.

hedgehog flavoured cucumbers

Cook's interview on Quest does him no credit on 13:31 - Sep 30 with 2437 viewsjayessess

Cook's interview on Quest does him no credit on 09:47 - Sep 30 by OsborneOneNil

Disagree. I thought that was sound, the guy had been a dick last game so Cookie wasn’t interested in speaking to him this week.

Good lad.

Think you've got to take the rough with the smooth as a manager. Like the interviewer said, you get different questions after you've been battered compared to when you've dished out a hiding. All of us were fuming after Bolton, we all said much worse about that performance and I don't recall many complaining that the questions were unfair at the time.

That said, whilst it's not ideal to pick unnecessary fights with national journalists, it's not a big deal and I don't think it's a sign that he's "feeling the pressure" particularly. Just one of those things.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Cook's interview on Quest does him no credit on 13:49 - Sep 30 with 2375 viewsOriginalMarkyP

Cook's interview on Quest does him no credit on 13:31 - Sep 30 by jayessess

Think you've got to take the rough with the smooth as a manager. Like the interviewer said, you get different questions after you've been battered compared to when you've dished out a hiding. All of us were fuming after Bolton, we all said much worse about that performance and I don't recall many complaining that the questions were unfair at the time.

That said, whilst it's not ideal to pick unnecessary fights with national journalists, it's not a big deal and I don't think it's a sign that he's "feeling the pressure" particularly. Just one of those things.

Is there a link?

Poll: After our 7 goal thrashing of Needham should we?
Blog: Sounds Better in a Song

Cook's interview on Quest does him no credit on 13:53 - Sep 30 with 2359 viewsjayessess

Cook's interview on Quest does him no credit on 13:49 - Sep 30 by OriginalMarkyP

Is there a link?

Here you go:

Cook's interview on Quest does him no credit on 14:01 - Sep 30 with 2330 viewsOriginalMarkyP

Cook's interview on Quest does him no credit on 13:53 - Sep 30 by jayessess

Here you go:

Ta. Not sure how I feel about that. A bit petty? Putting down a marker I suppose. But Lambert did his fair share of journalist bashing @PhilHam and hope it doesn't come back to bite him.

I guess it's closing the wagons.

Cook's interview on Quest does him no credit on 14:14 - Sep 30 with 2291 viewsjayessess

Cook's interview on Quest does him no credit on 14:01 - Sep 30 by OriginalMarkyP

Ta. Not sure how I feel about that. A bit petty? Putting down a marker I suppose. But Lambert did his fair share of journalist bashing @PhilHam and hope it doesn't come back to bite him.

I guess it's closing the wagons.

Yeah, a bit petty, but there's mitigating circumstances I suppose - the question on coaching probably is a bit off and he is recently bereaved. But I do hope he doesn't make a habit of picking fights and deciding criticism is unfair.

Cook's interview on Quest does him no credit on 14:28 - Sep 30 with 2245 viewsTooManyCooks

Cook's interview on Quest does him no credit on 13:31 - Sep 30 by jayessess

I think a journo has to do his job, but this is a manager of a football club, not the Prime Minister, there's no need to be so insensitive at a clearly emotional time in someone's life, kicking a man while he's down is never a good look.

hedgehog flavoured cucumbers

Cook's interview on Quest does him no credit on 14:29 - Sep 30 with 2240 viewsBluedicea

Cook is a pretty honest and decent chap. He was only speaking honestly.
It's obvious he didn't want to be there and that he doesn't like the bloke asking the questions. Compare it with all the other interviews he's had, he's called out a few media folk in that time, but he responds well to majority of them.

I think your focus should be more on the media, for example do any of us know whether that was the bloke repeatedly calling him for a quote about how he feels about his dad's death? The media (sorry Phil as you are mostly different) are generally scum, they hound and harass people all the time, at times when they are struggling to deal with life events, but what they show us is only the person losing their cool, because it drives clicks and sales

What is the use of knowing about everything else, when you do not yet know who you are.

Cook's interview on Quest does him no credit on 14:36 - Sep 30 with 2201 viewsOriginalMarkyP

Cook's interview on Quest does him no credit on 14:29 - Sep 30 by Bluedicea

Cook is a pretty honest and decent chap. He was only speaking honestly.
It's obvious he didn't want to be there and that he doesn't like the bloke asking the questions. Compare it with all the other interviews he's had, he's called out a few media folk in that time, but he responds well to majority of them.

I think your focus should be more on the media, for example do any of us know whether that was the bloke repeatedly calling him for a quote about how he feels about his dad's death? The media (sorry Phil as you are mostly different) are generally scum, they hound and harass people all the time, at times when they are struggling to deal with life events, but what they show us is only the person losing their cool, because it drives clicks and sales

'Mostly' ????

Cook's interview on Quest does him no credit on 14:37 - Sep 30 with 2194 viewsRedX

What bs. Top managers would tear that interviewer a new one if he spoke like that to them. He’s knows better than being smart with Cook from now on.
Cook's interview on Quest does him no credit on 15:53 - Sep 30 with 1965 viewsitfcjoe

Cook's interview on Quest does him no credit on 14:37 - Sep 30 by RedX

What bs. Top managers would tear that interviewer a new one if he spoke like that to them. He’s knows better than being smart with Cook from now on.

Spoke like what to him? It's hardly jeremy paxman there is it?!

"Paul, 6-0 tonight, you must be absolutely delighted with that?"

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Cook's interview on Quest does him no credit on 15:54 - Sep 30 with 1958 viewsabracaDOBRA_

Cook's interview on Quest does him no credit on 15:53 - Sep 30 by itfcjoe

Hes talking about the previous interview when we lost 5-2. The interviewer was quite rude to Cook tbf, managers remember everything
Cook's interview on Quest does him no credit on 16:09 - Sep 30 with 1886 viewsRedX

Cook's interview on Quest does him no credit on 15:53 - Sep 30 by itfcjoe

If you listened to the interview, you would have realised that it was a previous interview Paul Cook had a problem with.
Cook's interview on Quest does him no credit on 16:13 - Sep 30 with 1870 viewsitfcjoe

Cook's interview on Quest does him no credit on 16:09 - Sep 30 by RedX

If you listened to the interview, you would have realised that it was a previous interview Paul Cook had a problem with.

Well no-one has heard that interview, because it wasn't broadcast and all we've done is read the transcripts, it's hardly anything that bad:

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-town/cook-on-itfc-5-2-loss-to-bolton-831568

Q: After a dream start, that ended in a nightmare. How would you sum that up?

A: I think you’ve just summed it up perfectly. It’s probably one of the toughest days I’ve had in management. It was a really difficult day.

To watch your team, again, take the lead, start brightly, look good, get the crowd on our side, even equalise, then all of a sudden we just give goals away. That’s something we have to eradicate.

There’ll be no criticisms towards the players from me. None. I put the team on the pitch.

This is a very proud club and that was a not very proud performance.

We can hide behind three lads making their debuts, or whatever, but there are two ways you play football... One, with the ball, and one without.

We are quite okay with the ball, we still score goals and we’ve missed a couple of chances. But without the ball we are a million miles away from where we need to be as a team. That’s something we have to eradicate and eradicate quickly.

Q: How are you going to eradicate it?

A: By not talking to you much. By not trying to talk nonsense to our supporters who watched the same game as me. By a desire and willingness to work. By having a hunger and an aggression in our play — something that we sadly lack at the minute. It’s something that we must find.

Q: As Ipswich manager you’ve had four wins from 23 games. And you’ve had big success before that. What do you put that down to?

A: Which one, the four wins or the big success?

Q: Well, the big success... both really.

A: Having good players. We’ve got good players now.

I don’t think it’s fair to throw the record from last season in with this season, if I'm truthful, because you’re talking about two different squads.

I accept criticism. I am not a lad wo will ever hide behind anything other than the games that you see.

But I think it’s a bit unfair to throw last year’s results in there when we’ve changed 19/20 players.

I think we’ve recruited very well, we are strong. Everyone looks at us as favourites. But we’re not playing like a team that will be promoted, we’re not playing like a team.

At the minute we show individual qualities but not collective ones.

So we’ll go away and work very hard to be better.

Q: Do you think the fact you are the big club in this league is putting pressure on the players?

A: I respect your job, but how many negative questions do you want to ask me?

There are massive clubs in this league. Bolton Wanderers are a massive football club! Sunderland! Portsmouth! How many do you want?

We’ll concentrate on ourselves. The most important thing is Ipswich Town Football Club. Today, we’ve let our fans down.

You can’t manage and play for a club like this, have performances like that, and speak about acceptance. It’s not acceptable.

But there are only so many negative adjectives you can use. It’s now about how we go away and respond. That’s the biggest test of anybody’s character.

Q: Do you think it’s in the coaching?

A: Come on mate!

Q: It’s a fair question.

A: I've answered your questions and I respect you’re doing your job, but you’re just asking negative one after negative one.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Cook's interview on Quest does him no credit on 16:18 - Sep 30 with 1842 viewsRedX

Cook's interview on Quest does him no credit on 16:13 - Sep 30 by itfcjoe

Well no-one has heard that interview, because it wasn't broadcast and all we've done is read the transcripts, it's hardly anything that bad:

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-town/cook-on-itfc-5-2-loss-to-bolton-831568

A: I think you’ve just summed it up perfectly. It’s probably one of the toughest days I’ve had in management. It was a really difficult day.

To watch your team, again, take the lead, start brightly, look good, get the crowd on our side, even equalise, then all of a sudden we just give goals away. That’s something we have to eradicate.

There’ll be no criticisms towards the players from me. None. I put the team on the pitch.

We can hide behind three lads making their debuts, or whatever, but there are two ways you play football... One, with the ball, and one without.

We are quite okay with the ball, we still score goals and we’ve missed a couple of chances. But without the ball we are a million miles away from where we need to be as a team. That’s something we have to eradicate and eradicate quickly.

A: By not talking to you much. By not trying to talk nonsense to our supporters who watched the same game as me. By a desire and willingness to work. By having a hunger and an aggression in our play — something that we sadly lack at the minute. It’s something that we must find.

Q: As Ipswich manager you’ve had four wins from 23 games. And you’ve had big success before that. What do you put that down to?

I don’t think it’s fair to throw the record from last season in with this season, if I'm truthful, because you’re talking about two different squads.

I accept criticism. I am not a lad wo will ever hide behind anything other than the games that you see.

But I think it’s a bit unfair to throw last year’s results in there when we’ve changed 19/20 players.

I think we’ve recruited very well, we are strong. Everyone looks at us as favourites. But we’re not playing like a team that will be promoted, we’re not playing like a team.

Q: Do you think the fact you are the big club in this league is putting pressure on the players?

There are massive clubs in this league. Bolton Wanderers are a massive football club! Sunderland! Portsmouth! How many do you want?

We’ll concentrate on ourselves. The most important thing is Ipswich Town Football Club. Today, we’ve let our fans down.

You can’t manage and play for a club like this, have performances like that, and speak about acceptance. It’s not acceptable.

But there are only so many negative adjectives you can use. It’s now about how we go away and respond. That’s the biggest test of anybody’s character.

A: I've answered your questions and I respect you’re doing your job, but you’re just asking negative one after negative one.

In fairness Joe, tone is everything. Reading the transcripts, and actually hearing it are two completely different things. If Cook was put out by it, that's his choice. He doesn't come across very precious to me, so I'm guessing the interviewer's tone was not good.
Cook's interview on Quest does him no credit on 16:18 - Sep 30 with 1842 viewsabracaDOBRA_

Cook's interview on Quest does him no credit on 16:13 - Sep 30 by itfcjoe

One of the EADT guys on their latest pod (whom I assume was there in person) also seemed pretty unimpressed with the interviewer. I think it could of been in the tone he was asking the questions
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024