Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Thoughtful piece on WFH, productivity and hours worked 07:53 - Oct 13 with 2832 viewsSteve_M

Nothing startling but worth a read all the same.

https://www.newstatesman.com/comment/2021/10/people-want-to-work-less-and-theyre

How is everyone working now that covid is less prominent?

We're officially 'hybrid' working since the end of September, three days in as a baseline but I've done more as it's been really busy - something to do with global energy prices - and it's been more efficient for me to do so. The contrast with going in to an office with three people in six weeks ago is marked.

Should end up with a lot more flexibility out of it, there seems to be a general injunction not to take the piss both at a team and individual level.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Thoughtful piece on WFH, productivity and hours worked on 14:07 - Oct 13 with 959 viewsGuthrum

That ain't working, that's the way you do it
Banging on a keyboard like a chimpanzee
Maybe get a blister on your index finger
Maybe get a blister on your thumb
Stick something in the microwave oven
Order Amazon delivery
See what's in the refrigerator
Check out that daytime TV
Money for surfing and your clicks for free

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Thoughtful piece on WFH, productivity and hours worked on 14:15 - Oct 13 with 940 viewsDanTheMan

Thoughtful piece on WFH, productivity and hours worked on 13:42 - Oct 13 by lowhouseblue

what about people who don't work in an office and whose productivity is zero if they aren't present? wfh is great for those who have the option but it will lead to ever greater segmentation of working conditions and working lives - with the predominantly low paid manual workers getting the brown end of the stick yet again.

I mean, yeah? Obviously not every job is going to have this as a perk.

I'm not sure that forcing office workers to go into the office because builders can't work from home is a brilliant argument against it.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Thoughtful piece on WFH, productivity and hours worked on 14:36 - Oct 13 with 915 viewsBlueStreak

Thoughtful piece on WFH, productivity and hours worked on 14:15 - Oct 13 by DanTheMan

I'm not sure that forcing office workers to go into the office because builders can't work from home is a brilliant argument against it.

The insurance broking market are back 3 days a week. It is a really nice balance and means I have the best of both worlds. We were all fortunate enough to be provided with enough equipment to work from home really efficiently over the last 18 months so productivity remains high.

I work better from home as the lure of the pub is too much when I am in the city.
Thoughtful piece on WFH, productivity and hours worked on 14:41 - Oct 13 with 898 viewschicoazul

Thoughtful piece on WFH, productivity and hours worked on 09:06 - Oct 13 by Dubtractor

Our place is slowly moving back to some office working, but with really mixed messages from senior management about expectations, some suggesting we should be in much more and others more focused on the benefits of home working.

I've been in one day a week for the last 6 weeks or so. Trying to focus it on meeting free days though as no way I'm going into the office to sit on teams calls all day! I have appreciated seeing people face to face for actual real life conversations though.

I think there is a real mix of preferences in staff though, broadly that more senior staff are happier working from home (less distraction, nice home office), and more junior staff preferring the office due to poor home working conditions and wanting the support and assistance of other people in the office. Not sure how we're ever going to keep everyone completely happy tbh.
[Post edited 13 Oct 2021 9:09]

This is many peoples experience. The older people with nice homes and offices want to stay home; youngsters and people with smaller less nice homes want to come in.

Just my prediction here but I think everyone will be back in the office full time in the private sector within a year; the public sector will retain WFH as a perk, and a very competitive one at that.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Thoughtful piece on WFH, productivity and hours worked on 14:54 - Oct 13 with 879 viewshype313

Thoughtful piece on WFH, productivity and hours worked on 14:41 - Oct 13 by chicoazul

This is many peoples experience. The older people with nice homes and offices want to stay home; youngsters and people with smaller less nice homes want to come in.

Just my prediction here but I think everyone will be back in the office full time in the private sector within a year; the public sector will retain WFH as a perk, and a very competitive one at that.

Just to add the younger generation not only don't have the space but it's the social aspect and experience they are missing out on, so it's no surprise they are keener than older workers to go back.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Thoughtful piece on WFH, productivity and hours worked on 15:07 - Oct 13 with 854 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Thoughtful piece on WFH, productivity and hours worked on 13:34 - Oct 13 by BlueBlueBluex2

Why not just install teams on your phone and use your own headphones?

Just doesn't work when sharing screens of financial info!

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Thoughtful piece on WFH, productivity and hours worked on 15:37 - Oct 13 with 825 viewslowhouseblue

Thoughtful piece on WFH, productivity and hours worked on 14:15 - Oct 13 by DanTheMan

where did I say I was arguing against it? I was just pointing out a consequence.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Thoughtful piece on WFH, productivity and hours worked on 15:48 - Oct 13 with 812 viewsDanTheMan

Thoughtful piece on WFH, productivity and hours worked on 15:37 - Oct 13 by lowhouseblue

where did I say I was arguing against it? I was just pointing out a consequence.

Perhaps I took it the wrong way but I'd say...

"but it will lead to ever greater segmentation of working conditions"

Sounds like an argument against it.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Login to get fewer ads

Thoughtful piece on WFH, productivity and hours worked on 15:52 - Oct 13 with 800 viewsblu_dru

I never would have tried WFH if it weren't for Covid but i have now chosen to do so fulltime as i have really enjoyed it. Work life balance is great, i get to see my daughter before and after school a lot more now. Will eventually have to go to the office once or twice a month. Office isn't the same though as there are not enough desks for everyone to be there and will be dreaded hot desking.
Thoughtful piece on WFH, productivity and hours worked on 16:09 - Oct 13 with 775 viewstractorboy1978

Thoughtful piece on WFH, productivity and hours worked on 09:06 - Oct 13 by Dubtractor

Our place is slowly moving back to some office working, but with really mixed messages from senior management about expectations, some suggesting we should be in much more and others more focused on the benefits of home working.

I've been in one day a week for the last 6 weeks or so. Trying to focus it on meeting free days though as no way I'm going into the office to sit on teams calls all day! I have appreciated seeing people face to face for actual real life conversations though.

I think there is a real mix of preferences in staff though, broadly that more senior staff are happier working from home (less distraction, nice home office), and more junior staff preferring the office due to poor home working conditions and wanting the support and assistance of other people in the office. Not sure how we're ever going to keep everyone completely happy tbh.
[Post edited 13 Oct 2021 9:09]

Junior staff "wanting the support and assistance of other people in the office" is the key thing I think. As a manager in my previous role, my job would have been twice as hard with a team of 6/7 junior members of staff. With the best will in the world you are less accessible than if somebody is sitting next to you or opposite you. And we all know those people that whack themselves on busy or do not disturb and are not responsive to Skype/Teams messages.

There is so much to be said for learning by absorbing information in day to day office conversations between people. I couldn't imagine being a trainee or starting a new job now and sitting in my home trying to get to grips with it all virtually, rarely interacting properly with my colleagues. Maybe that's just me.
Thoughtful piece on WFH, productivity and hours worked on 16:51 - Oct 13 with 737 viewslowhouseblue

Thoughtful piece on WFH, productivity and hours worked on 15:48 - Oct 13 by DanTheMan

Perhaps I took it the wrong way but I'd say...

"but it will lead to ever greater segmentation of working conditions"

Sounds like an argument against it.

it's a downside certainly. but the pluses still outweigh that.

in a workplace which has both office / computer based people and manual people, it will be divisive. particularly since management generally fall into the former category.

i do find it odd that the new statesman, traditionally an organ of the left, could discuss it on the assumption that everyone works in an office.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Thoughtful piece on WFH, productivity and hours worked on 22:46 - Oct 13 with 663 viewsChurchman

Thoughtful piece on WFH, productivity and hours worked on 09:34 - Oct 13 by ElderGrizzly

“It depends on business need” is the official answer.

The reality is about 2 days a month for the rest of the year.

A lot of the Govt attacks on Civil Servants WFH is also against their own planning and policy. Our new office has 1 desk for every 3 employees. By design and pre-pandemic to save money.

You are right. My former place of work(Parliament St/Treasury had what was called a ‘re-stack’ programme where the ratio was 3 (originally 4) desks for 5 people years ago. At the MoJ my mate was told here’s your laptop, one day a week is the most we want to see you here. That was 7 or 8 years ago now. We all got Surface Pro’s about 6 years ago so that we could flexibly work and the building set up with docking stations accordingly.

The govt have been flogging off and vacating buildings for years in addition to moving jobs to other areas for political reasons and cost. Yet all of a sudden failed former army officer IDS and co are worried about the takings of a sandwich bar or two? Yeah, right. Since when did the likes of him give two hoots about the plebs?

As a poster on another thread said, flexible working has been coming for years. Covid has just accelerated it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024