Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Large Hadron Collider 15:28 - Oct 14 with 6796 viewsBLUEBEAT

N to the T

Poll: W or W

Large Hadron Collider on 08:10 - Jul 16 with 1551 viewsdickie

Large Hadron Collider on 20:41 - Oct 15 by ArnoldMoorhen

Solar (especially solar reflector turbines), geothermal, wind and wave can provide sufficient for humankind's needs. We just need to commit to them. And that means instead of putting solar panels on rooves in Northern Europe, installing solar reflector turbines in African countries. Lots of them.

The $23billion projected cost of the future collider would pay for 500 PS10 solar turbines. But they would generate revenue which would enable more to be built.

It's not that simple, of course, but I'm convinced that we have an urgent crisis on our hands and need to make some sacrifices immediately to make huge changes to the way energy (fuel for homes, machines and, as food, for our bodies) is both produced and consumed.

We need more than sacrifices. We need mass, global, societal change. Without wanting to be overly pessimistic, humans can't get their sh+t together enough to stop children dying of hunger in third world countries let alone agree to make enough changes to any difference to the climate crisis. Capitalism, corporate greed, consumerism, none of it works in a world fighting climate change
Large Hadron Collider on 08:18 - Jul 16 with 1531 viewsGavTWTD

Large Hadron Collider on 18:37 - Oct 14 by GeoffSentence

There are four other hadron colliders all of which are smaller than the Large Hadron Collider, so ny definition there is a rsmall, quite small, medium and quite big hadron collider as well as the large one.

I am sure that the board's resident particle phycisist can give much more detail

Do they like porridge?

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

Large Hadron Collider on 08:30 - Jul 16 with 1523 viewsHerbivore

Large Hadron Collider on 08:10 - Jul 16 by dickie

We need more than sacrifices. We need mass, global, societal change. Without wanting to be overly pessimistic, humans can't get their sh+t together enough to stop children dying of hunger in third world countries let alone agree to make enough changes to any difference to the climate crisis. Capitalism, corporate greed, consumerism, none of it works in a world fighting climate change

Capitalism has never really worked in the interests of anyone other than the most wealthy, but as we are being smacked in the face by climate change it's really stark just how unfit for purpose it is. And yet, replacing it with something else will never be on the agenda of anyone in a position to make such a change.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Large Hadron Collider on 08:35 - Jul 16 with 1497 viewslowhouseblue

Large Hadron Collider on 08:30 - Jul 16 by Herbivore

Capitalism has never really worked in the interests of anyone other than the most wealthy, but as we are being smacked in the face by climate change it's really stark just how unfit for purpose it is. And yet, replacing it with something else will never be on the agenda of anyone in a position to make such a change.

pre-capitalism was indeed a time of enlightenment and plenty. it's been down hill ever since.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Large Hadron Collider on 08:41 - Jul 16 with 1473 viewsKeno

Still can’t decide how these things help with the with science questions

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Large Hadron Collider on 08:47 - Jul 16 with 1450 viewssolemio

Large Hadron Collider on 17:46 - Oct 14 by Radlett_blue

Is there a Small Hadron Collider anywhere?

Borehamwood
Large Hadron Collider on 08:54 - Jul 16 with 1431 viewsChorleyBoy

Large Hadron Collider on 19:47 - Oct 15 by wkj

CERN is a research center where many scientific minds go to research their own ideas with facilities reaching beyond their own means. The internet was created there, for example. There is more to CERN than particle physics.

I guess they have the technology to split hairs at CERN but it was the World Wide Web which was created at CERN, the Internet having been created 20 years earlier in the US.
Large Hadron Collider on 08:54 - Jul 16 with 1429 viewslowhouseblue

Large Hadron Collider on 08:41 - Jul 16 by Keno

Still can’t decide how these things help with the with science questions

that's because you lack the scientific training to know that small hadrons would fall through the holes in that. that one's only ever going to work with the larger hadron.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Login to get fewer ads

Large Hadron Collider on 08:55 - Jul 16 with 1416 viewsBluesky

Woolfie likened to Hadron's Wall ????
Large Hadron Collider on 09:02 - Jul 16 with 1385 viewsHerbivore

Large Hadron Collider on 08:35 - Jul 16 by lowhouseblue

pre-capitalism was indeed a time of enlightenment and plenty. it's been down hill ever since.

I know you think you're being clever, but you really aren't. Quite the opposite in fact.

Large Hadron Collider on 09:04 - Jul 16 with 1382 viewsdickie

Large Hadron Collider on 08:35 - Jul 16 by lowhouseblue

Well done for reappropriating my sentiment. Can you realistically see a way in which continually striving for profit growth, planned obsolescence and raping the earth can sit side by side with reducing carbon emissions enough to make a difference to climate change?
Large Hadron Collider on 09:13 - Jul 16 with 1358 viewslowhouseblue

Large Hadron Collider on 09:02 - Jul 16 by Herbivore

I know you think you're being clever, but you really aren't. Quite the opposite in fact.

trouble is that "capitalism has never really worked in the interests of anyone other than the most wealthy" is your idea of being clever! isn't it a direct quote from the eye spy book of inane sixth form cliches?

Large Hadron Collider on 09:24 - Jul 16 with 1336 viewslowhouseblue

Large Hadron Collider on 09:04 - Jul 16 by dickie

Well done for reappropriating my sentiment. Can you realistically see a way in which continually striving for profit growth, planned obsolescence and raping the earth can sit side by side with reducing carbon emissions enough to make a difference to climate change?

i can see capitalism producing immense technical change as it has done over the past 2 centuries. i can't see that tackling climate change without effective regulation and coordinated government direction. capitalism's greatest damage to the climate has been in enabling a level of consumption, and in the wealthy nations a living standard which is utterly without precedent, which is energy intensive and which people don't want now to lose. capitalism has enabled us all to consume too much - in the west we can't then pass off responsibility to some abstract "ism". it's us.

Large Hadron Collider on 09:29 - Jul 16 with 1312 viewsHerbivore

Large Hadron Collider on 09:13 - Jul 16 by lowhouseblue

trouble is that "capitalism has never really worked in the interests of anyone other than the most wealthy" is your idea of being clever! isn't it a direct quote from the eye spy book of inane sixth form cliches?

You'd be more familiar with such a book than me. Although in your case that would be considered advanced reading.

Large Hadron Collider on 09:48 - Jul 16 with 1277 viewsNthQldITFC

Large Hadron Collider on 09:24 - Jul 16 by lowhouseblue

i can see capitalism producing immense technical change as it has done over the past 2 centuries. i can't see that tackling climate change without effective regulation and coordinated government direction. capitalism's greatest damage to the climate has been in enabling a level of consumption, and in the wealthy nations a living standard which is utterly without precedent, which is energy intensive and which people don't want now to lose. capitalism has enabled us all to consume too much - in the west we can't then pass off responsibility to some abstract "ism". it's us.

So it's not capitalism that's wrong per se, it's only wrong if you do capitalism?

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Large Hadron Collider on 10:02 - Jul 16 with 1258 viewslowhouseblue

Large Hadron Collider on 09:48 - Jul 16 by NthQldITFC

So it's not capitalism that's wrong per se, it's only wrong if you do capitalism?

eh? capitalism in the wealthy countries has been an astonishingly successful system for dramatically (beyond what anyone would have believed possible) raising living standards. in so doing it has increased consumption beyond what is sustainable. as consumers we have driven that, we have demanded consumer goods at an unsustainable level. we have voluntarily wallowed in conspicuous consumption. capitalism doesn't produce goods unless people want to consume them. and collectively we are now very reluctant to consume less. try suggesting on here that people only take 1 short haul flight in 3 years and 1 long haul flight in 8 years - and see what the response is. oh but it's all the fault of evil capitalism and absolutely nothing to do with us. if feudalism had been capable of creating the same level of prosperity and consumption we would have exactly the same issue as we have today. it's like people caught speeding blaming the fact that they have a very fast car.

Large Hadron Collider on 10:53 - Jul 16 with 1215 viewsronnyd

Large Hadron Collider on 21:17 - Oct 14 by Nthsuffolkblue

It seems to have generated more replies than if the OP had actually stated something.

Nothing to the text ... means nothing more to say?

So, unless you want to Google the Large Hadron Collider and find out if something notable relating to it has happened really means just "nothing to say".

So why say it?
Large Hadron Collider on 11:00 - Jul 16 with 1195 viewsKeno

Large Hadron Collider on 10:53 - Jul 16 by ronnyd

So why say it?

in order to confirm that you so in fact have nothing to say I believe that some people believe that it necessary, by way conformation tp other people who may be viewing what has be posted, to post that they have nothing to say, which can be done done is several ways as per the re[plies previously contained with into the thread, which of course by stating that is in effect saying something and therefore hither to, forthwith and thereafter surely negates their desire to say nothing

I hope that clears that up

Large Hadron Collider on 11:08 - Jul 16 with 1174 viewsronnyd

Large Hadron Collider on 11:00 - Jul 16 by Keno

in order to confirm that you so in fact have nothing to say I believe that some people believe that it necessary, by way conformation tp other people who may be viewing what has be posted, to post that they have nothing to say, which can be done done is several ways as per the re[plies previously contained with into the thread, which of course by stating that is in effect saying something and therefore hither to, forthwith and thereafter surely negates their desire to say nothing

I hope that clears that up

Large Hadron Collider on 11:35 - Jul 16 with 1150 viewsKeno

Large Hadron Collider on 11:08 - Jul 16 by ronnyd

Large Hadron Collider on 13:01 - Jul 16 with 1104 viewsNthQldITFC

Large Hadron Collider on 10:02 - Jul 16 by lowhouseblue

eh? capitalism in the wealthy countries has been an astonishingly successful system for dramatically (beyond what anyone would have believed possible) raising living standards. in so doing it has increased consumption beyond what is sustainable. as consumers we have driven that, we have demanded consumer goods at an unsustainable level. we have voluntarily wallowed in conspicuous consumption. capitalism doesn't produce goods unless people want to consume them. and collectively we are now very reluctant to consume less. try suggesting on here that people only take 1 short haul flight in 3 years and 1 long haul flight in 8 years - and see what the response is. oh but it's all the fault of evil capitalism and absolutely nothing to do with us. if feudalism had been capable of creating the same level of prosperity and consumption we would have exactly the same issue as we have today. it's like people caught speeding blaming the fact that they have a very fast car.

But it fundamentally depends on driving continuous growth through promoting consumerism beyond sustainability with the only limit being stresses (which will always get shifted to the weaker parts of the system), and eventual death. Morality, equality and social and environmental balance are priced out of the system until the system itself dies beneath the stampede towards the god of capital accumulation.

Why have a very fast car if you can't use it?

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Large Hadron Collider on 21:43 - Jul 16 with 1011 viewsdickie

Large Hadron Collider on 10:02 - Jul 16 by lowhouseblue

So you've basically just agreed with me in an argumentative way? At no point did I say capitalism is evil, just that consumerism and therefore by extension capitalism is not sustainable. How can there be change when the people and corporations at the top have the most to lose financially yet have the most power?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024