Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cook is getting it right - we will be fine! 10:28 - Oct 31 with 2544 viewsjasondozzell

Went yesterday. Obviously very frustrating but I think on reflection we are still moving in the right direction. I think we will make the play offs.

We are a good side. We create good chances and if we'd taken those in the second half yesterday we could quite easily have taken a point or more home. That's not anyone's fault really. Just a matter of Bonne's boot meeting the ball a little earlier or later or Edwards finish being a metre sharper. Score and 2-2 would have sent everyone home saying we are resilient and run continues and strong point etc. Fine margins. It would be more concerning if we hadn't created those chances.

There was a moment in the second half when Edwards was dribbling on the right hand side when I suddenly thought to myself that we are exciting to watch , especially second half when we start to tire teams out moving the ball from flank to flank, and have been all season. It's easy to forget that we have had absolutely no threat for seasons before this, reliant on a bit of Bishop brilliance or Edwards having one of his good days for a goal or chance.

It is frustrating that we seem to lose concentration and give goals away at crucial moments. But on reflection that was not a bad effort away at league leaders with illness and players in unfamiliar positions.

Maybe the truth is that it was unrealistic to expect a completely new squad to fire immediately and to storm the league? I think we will finish in the play offs and that will be about right.
Cook is getting it right - we will be fine! on 10:32 - Oct 31 with 2004 viewsHerbivore

We've got a lot of work to do to make the play offs from here. I really don't see how anyone can say Cook is getting it right at this point as we sit squarely in midtable after a third of the season, closer to the bottom 4 than the top 6 in terms of points. The aim this season was automatic promotion, we're hugely underachieving.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Cook is getting it right - we will be fine! on 10:35 - Oct 31 with 1974 viewspointofblue

Wigan brought in seventeen players and let eighteen go. They currently sit second after ten wins in 15. Wycombe signed and sold 13 players and sit third. Albeit they lost 5-1 yesterday but Sunderland are still 5th after bringing in 17 players and letting 22 go. The ‘needing time to gel’ reason doesn’t really hold up under scrutiny.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Cook is getting it right - we will be fine! on 10:38 - Oct 31 with 1952 viewsjasondozzell

Cook is getting it right - we will be fine! on 10:32 - Oct 31 by Herbivore

We've got a lot of work to do to make the play offs from here. I really don't see how anyone can say Cook is getting it right at this point as we sit squarely in midtable after a third of the season, closer to the bottom 4 than the top 6 in terms of points. The aim this season was automatic promotion, we're hugely underachieving.

I do understand that view. We've got a lot to do. But I think the damage was done right at the start so we're always going to be playing catch up. So many players arriving and key players arriving late meant we didn't really have a settled side until 8 or 9 games in. Now you can pick the team when they're fit whereas at the beginning it wasn't even clear if Bonne was going to be first choice striker.

Form since Bolton has been decent enough. Playing catch up makes stakes higher.
Cook is getting it right - we will be fine! on 10:41 - Oct 31 with 1929 viewsjasondozzell

Cook is getting it right - we will be fine! on 10:35 - Oct 31 by pointofblue

Wigan brought in seventeen players and let eighteen go. They currently sit second after ten wins in 15. Wycombe signed and sold 13 players and sit third. Albeit they lost 5-1 yesterday but Sunderland are still 5th after bringing in 17 players and letting 22 go. The ‘needing time to gel’ reason doesn’t really hold up under scrutiny.

They've done well. But surely any manager would say that so much change does take time? I don't think it's an excuse for poor performances but it is surely true.

The key question is do you think we're getting better? I think we are a better side than we were and there's every reason to believe we can continue to improve.
Cook is getting it right - we will be fine! on 10:46 - Oct 31 with 1895 viewsChocorange

Cook is getting it right - we will be fine! on 10:41 - Oct 31 by jasondozzell

They've done well. But surely any manager would say that so much change does take time? I don't think it's an excuse for poor performances but it is surely true.

The key question is do you think we're getting better? I think we are a better side than we were and there's every reason to believe we can continue to improve.

Agree with OP, also went yesterday.

Created several really good chances( Harper near the end should have scored without the penalty shout) that were not taken and as has been pointed out elsewhere , full backs were found out.

We are getting better and will continue to improve.
Cook is getting it right - we will be fine! on 10:49 - Oct 31 with 1867 viewspointofblue

So much change takes time except for Wigan, Wycombe and Sunderland?

I’ll be controversial - no I don’t think we’re getting better. We limped past Fleetwood thanks to a last minute goal, we looked flat for long periods against Shrewsbury, we threw away a two goal lead at Cambridge and a one goal lead at Plymouth. We have the capability of blitzing teams if everything clicks but that isn’t always going to happen. We looked soft at the back, weak at times in midfield and struggled to get our, at this level, excellent attacking players to fully gel in August; three months later and nothing has changed.

Cook is getting it right - we will be fine! on 10:57 - Oct 31 with 1817 viewsAthena_Blue

Fully agree, also went yesterday and overall we played well. On a different day we would have come away with a point at the very least. Referee was shocking. Credit to Plymouth, good support and a good stadium. Enjoyable day and well done to the fantastic travelling support, first class as always. COYB
Cook is getting it right - we will be fine! on 10:58 - Oct 31 with 1805 viewsjasondozzell

Cook is getting it right - we will be fine! on 10:49 - Oct 31 by pointofblue

I’ll be controversial - no I don’t think we’re getting better. We limped past Fleetwood thanks to a last minute goal, we looked flat for long periods against Shrewsbury, we threw away a two goal lead at Cambridge and a one goal lead at Plymouth. We have the capability of blitzing teams if everything clicks but that isn’t always going to happen. We looked soft at the back, weak at times in midfield and struggled to get our, at this level, excellent attacking players to fully gel in August; three months later and nothing has changed.

I completely respect that point of view (or blue!). It is frustrating and we definitely do have things to work on.

But I think we're a much better side than we looked at beginning. We've seen Morsy come in and look like the player we need in midfield (and I think he'll get better too), we have settled on Edmundson and Toto as first choice CB pairing, Donacien has nailed down RB, Burns and Chaplin excellent and Bonne superb.

I trust this side to create chances. If we can just iron out the concentration issues and be a bit smarter with managing games I think we'll be OK.
Login to get fewer ads

Cook is getting it right - we will be fine! on 11:00 - Oct 31 with 1792 viewsjasondozzell

Cook is getting it right - we will be fine! on 10:46 - Oct 31 by Chocorange

Agree with OP, also went yesterday.

Created several really good chances( Harper near the end should have scored without the penalty shout) that were not taken and as has been pointed out elsewhere , full backs were found out.

We are getting better and will continue to improve.

Agree! Harper, Edwards and Bonne chances - deserved at least one of those to go in!
Cook is getting it right - we will be fine! on 11:03 - Oct 31 with 1768 viewspointofblue

Cook is getting it right - we will be fine! on 10:58 - Oct 31 by jasondozzell

I completely respect that point of view (or blue!). It is frustrating and we definitely do have things to work on.

But I think we're a much better side than we looked at beginning. We've seen Morsy come in and look like the player we need in midfield (and I think he'll get better too), we have settled on Edmundson and Toto as first choice CB pairing, Donacien has nailed down RB, Burns and Chaplin excellent and Bonne superb.

I trust this side to create chances. If we can just iron out the concentration issues and be a bit smarter with managing games I think we'll be OK.

Though we’ve been saying this since August - play smarter, manage games better, take chances (even though we’ve scored in every match this season) - and yet we’re still having those issues, particularly with the first two.

Cook is getting it right - we will be fine! on 11:03 - Oct 31 with 1766 viewsjas0999

Considering the investment, quality of the squad, I’m not convinced Cook is getting it right. Some decent results against struggling opposition recently, but when put under any sort of pressure we crumble. It happens too often and Cook doesn’t appear capable of resolving it. Cambridge, Plymouth two recent examples.
Cook is getting it right - we will be fine! on 11:09 - Oct 31 with 1745 viewsBasuco

Also went yesterday, I thought we had progressed again but we still look like a group of individuals, not a team, the midfield is a big problem, Plymouth cut us open far too easily and far too often. Once again we struggled and lost to a team playing three at the back, the 4 - 2 - 3 - 1 as we play it seems to be vulnerable to a packed midfield. Plymouth overloaded the wings and got in behind us repeatedly. Bonne is often isolated and marked by 2 or 3 defenders. The team is looking better as the season progresses but when teams come out for the second half and push wingbacks high up the pitch we do not yet have an answer to this. I was also very impressed with James Wilson yesterday, big mistake to let him go. Away fans got "mooned" after the final whistle as well as a final insult from a Plymouth fan.
Cook is getting it right - we will be fine! on 11:17 - Oct 31 with 1689 viewsBurns7

If underperforming in the third tier of English football and looking like making a fourth after a takeover and stunning backing from a new owner is getting it right, I’d hate to see what getting it wrong is.

It’s not good enough. Not acceptable. We need to drop this love of losing as a support and start demanding better or we’ll be in the dumps for years. We’re too accepting of failure as supporters. It’s not good enough for Ipswich Town.

Cook must go.
Cook is getting it right - we will be fine! on 11:23 - Oct 31 with 1657 viewsBlueBadger

Cook is getting it right - we will be fine! on 11:09 - Oct 31 by Basuco

Also went yesterday, I thought we had progressed again but we still look like a group of individuals, not a team, the midfield is a big problem, Plymouth cut us open far too easily and far too often. Once again we struggled and lost to a team playing three at the back, the 4 - 2 - 3 - 1 as we play it seems to be vulnerable to a packed midfield. Plymouth overloaded the wings and got in behind us repeatedly. Bonne is often isolated and marked by 2 or 3 defenders. The team is looking better as the season progresses but when teams come out for the second half and push wingbacks high up the pitch we do not yet have an answer to this. I was also very impressed with James Wilson yesterday, big mistake to let him go. Away fans got "mooned" after the final whistle as well as a final insult from a Plymouth fan.

To an extent, yesterday was a bit of an anomaly given that there was enforced last minute changes - but still some of the old familiar patterns were there - the utter lack of backbone from midfield when faced with a side showing some fight and daft defensive errors.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Cook is getting it right - we will be fine! on 11:44 - Oct 31 with 1598 viewsPinewoodblue

Cook is getting it right - we will be fine! on 11:23 - Oct 31 by BlueBadger

To an extent, yesterday was a bit of an anomaly given that there was enforced last minute changes - but still some of the old familiar patterns were there - the utter lack of backbone from midfield when faced with a side showing some fight and daft defensive errors.

It is situations like we faced yesterday that a manager earns his keep. Cooks solution wasn’t what most would have expected and yet again he was late in making changes. He is costing us points.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Cook is getting it right - we will be fine! on 11:51 - Oct 31 with 1569 viewsBlueBadger

Cook is getting it right - we will be fine! on 11:44 - Oct 31 by Pinewoodblue

It is situations like we faced yesterday that a manager earns his keep. Cooks solution wasn’t what most would have expected and yet again he was late in making changes. He is costing us points.

And bringing on a defensive midfielder in the 80th minute when we were chasing the game still....

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Cook is getting it right - we will be fine! on 11:57 - Oct 31 with 1528 viewsDarth_Koont

“The key question is do you think we're getting better? I think we are a better side than we were and there's every reason to believe we can continue to improve.”

As you say, I think that’s the key point and it will determine Cook’s tenure here. We’re building slowly now but that’s only a problem because of the first 6 games. If we keep building and bouncing back from setbacks like yesterday then Cook and the team will be fine.

Pronouns: He/Him

Cook is getting it right - we will be fine! on 12:00 - Oct 31 with 1505 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Cook is getting it right - we will be fine! on 11:17 - Oct 31 by Burns7

If underperforming in the third tier of English football and looking like making a fourth after a takeover and stunning backing from a new owner is getting it right, I’d hate to see what getting it wrong is.

It’s not good enough. Not acceptable. We need to drop this love of losing as a support and start demanding better or we’ll be in the dumps for years. We’re too accepting of failure as supporters. It’s not good enough for Ipswich Town.

Cook must go.

Are you channelling?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Cook is getting it right - we will be fine! on 12:00 - Oct 31 with 1504 viewsDarth_Koont

Cook is getting it right - we will be fine! on 11:51 - Oct 31 by BlueBadger

And bringing on a defensive midfielder in the 80th minute when we were chasing the game still....

Harper wasn’t playing as a defensive midfielder. And arguably isn’t one anyway.

Cook is getting it right - we will be fine! on 12:05 - Oct 31 with 1479 viewsITFCBlues

Cook is getting it right - we will be fine! on 10:49 - Oct 31 by pointofblue

Wigan, Wycombe and Sunderland didn't rebuild though did they? Pointless comparison.

That'd be a Fleetwood side that drew with Wycombe and Sunderland and beat Rotherham away. We're one of the form sides in the league that's just put in a decent performance against Plymouth who are top away from home with multiple injuries - no progress being made though 😂😂😂

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Cook is getting it right - we will be fine! on 12:07 - Oct 31 with 1470 viewsITFCBlues

Jesus christ, why make any form of comment when you've probably never watched a game of ours under Cook or indeed the last century?

Such a lazy ridiculous comment to make.

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Cook is getting it right - we will be fine! on 12:16 - Oct 31 with 1436 viewsDarth_Koont

Cook is getting it right - we will be fine! on 12:07 - Oct 31 by ITFCBlues

Jesus christ, why make any form of comment when you've probably never watched a game of ours under Cook or indeed the last century?

Such a lazy ridiculous comment to make.

When you’re a compulsive edgelord like Badger, then you’ll be more wrong than right. And often embarrassingly so.

Cook is getting it right - we will be fine! on 12:22 - Oct 31 with 1404 viewsSomethingBlue

Plenty of criticisms we can make across the board but let's keep them legit — Harper isn't a defensive mid.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Cook is getting it right - we will be fine! on 12:30 - Oct 31 with 1353 viewspointofblue

Cook is getting it right - we will be fine! on 12:05 - Oct 31 by ITFCBlues

Wigan, Wycombe and Sunderland didn't rebuild though did they? Pointless comparison.

That'd be a Fleetwood side that drew with Wycombe and Sunderland and beat Rotherham away. We're one of the form sides in the league that's just put in a decent performance against Plymouth who are top away from home with multiple injuries - no progress being made though 😂😂😂

Really? Isn’t player churn the big reason being given for our current problems? Look at the numbers again.

Cook is getting it right - we will be fine! on 12:52 - Oct 31 with 1273 viewsSkip_Intro

a 'defensive' midfielder with fresh legs who is much more attacking than the player he replaced and the only other attacking option was Jackson...I think he made the right call, especially as Harper could/should have scored...
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024