Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
HRH 10:51 - Nov 14 with 6123 viewschicoazul

Not at the Cenotaph today.
Feels like 2021 is going for the big finish here.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

HRH on 10:55 - Nov 14 with 3118 viewsZx1988

"Sprained back"? Chinny reckon.

Sadly I don't reckon we'll be seeing her in public again.

I'm a bellringer and, this week, the Central Council of Church Bell Ringers released updated guidance for the ringing elements of Operation London Bridge. It seems that someone knows a lot more than is being let on.
[Post edited 14 Nov 2021 11:02]

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

HRH on 11:01 - Nov 14 with 3083 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Unfortunately, I fear you may well right.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

HRH on 11:09 - Nov 14 with 3054 viewsWD19

HRH on 10:55 - Nov 14 by Zx1988

I'm a bellringer and, this week, the Central Council of Church Bell Ringers released updated guidance for the ringing elements of Operation London Bridge. It seems that someone knows a lot more than is being let on.

Hopefully just a keen bod getting all proactive at bell ringing HQ.

Lizzie will be doing the couch to 5k in the new year.
HRH on 11:14 - Nov 14 with 3031 viewsStuartBrett8

Was the celebrity death sweepstake thread removed?

Stop the world, I want to get off
Poll: What should we do with Frank Nouble?

HRH on 11:15 - Nov 14 with 3038 viewschicoazul

HRH on 10:55 - Nov 14 by Zx1988

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/mar/16/what-happens-when-queen-elizabet

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

HRH on 11:19 - Nov 14 with 3007 viewssolomon

I think most of us know what’s inevitable. Sadly her health has deteriorated drastically in the last month.
HRH on 11:29 - Nov 14 with 2911 viewsIllinoisblue

HRH on 11:15 - Nov 14 by chicoazul

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/mar/16/what-happens-when-queen-elizabet

I’m glad it’s a thing but royalty is such a mad concept

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

HRH on 11:31 - Nov 14 with 2930 viewsFixed_It

The missus observed that Charles looked like he was going to cry as he laid his mother's wreath. Obviously it is a sombre occasion anyway, but...
[Post edited 14 Nov 2021 11:31]

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Login to get fewer ads

HRH on 11:32 - Nov 14 with 2882 viewschicoazul

HRH on 11:29 - Nov 14 by Illinoisblue

Like a lot of English things it sounds dumb on paper but in practice it works.

HRH on 11:33 - Nov 14 with 2883 viewsZx1988

HRH on 11:31 - Nov 14 by Fixed_It

The missus observed that Charles looked like he was going to cry as he laid his mother's wreath. Obviously it is a sombre occasion anyway, but...

Could it be that she's gone already, or in the process of going (sorry if that's an insensitive turn of phrase), and they don't want the news to overshadow today's events?

HMQ on 11:35 - Nov 14 with 2864 viewsWeWereZombies

HRH on 11:19 - Nov 14 by solomon

I think most of us know what’s inevitable. Sadly her health has deteriorated drastically in the last month.

Might also be worth considering that she in bereavement for a recently departed husband, that will have an impact on physical and mental health that takes a while to recover from. I wouldn't write her off yet (or be comfortable speculating about it.) Her video address to the CoP26 delegates was thoughtful and determined, not really indicative of the outcome inferred by the OP.
[Post edited 14 Nov 2021 18:51]

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

HRH on 11:37 - Nov 14 with 2859 viewschicoazul

HRH on 11:33 - Nov 14 by Zx1988

Could it be that she's gone already, or in the process of going (sorry if that's an insensitive turn of phrase), and they don't want the news to overshadow today's events?

Well they literally killed her dad to meet the requirements of 1950s Twitter so it’s possible.

HRH on 11:39 - Nov 14 with 2830 viewsZx1988

HRH on 11:37 - Nov 14 by chicoazul

Well they literally killed her dad to meet the requirements of 1950s Twitter so it’s possible.

Very true - I was just reading about that. I can imagine that Remembrance Sunday is probably the one event that would trump the death of the monarch.

HRH on 11:41 - Nov 14 with 2802 viewsTangledupin_Blue

HRH on 11:32 - Nov 14 by chicoazul

Like a lot of English things it sounds dumb on paper but in practice it works.

It works for some.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

The maddest thing will be..... on 11:41 - Nov 14 with 2814 viewsBloots

HRH on 11:29 - Nov 14 by Illinoisblue

.....the reaction by certain elements of our society to her inevitable death.

A country that was once renowned for it's class, decorum and dignity will be reduced to sniping, abuse, pettiness and in some cases gloating at the death of a woman in her late 90s.

I'm dreading it.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

The maddest thing will be..... on 11:44 - Nov 14 with 2758 viewschicoazul

The maddest thing will be..... on 11:41 - Nov 14 by Bloots

A country that was once renowned for it's class, decorum and dignity will be reduced to sniping, abuse, pettiness and in some cases gloating at the death of a woman in her late 90s.

I'm dreading it.

I was at Diana’s funeral. I tried to start a Mexican wave.

The maddest thing will be..... on 11:45 - Nov 14 with 2761 viewsZx1988

I'm dreading it.

Similarly, I'm dreading the 'Prince Philip on steroids' approach that will come from the media.

Not sure it's similar really.... on 11:47 - Nov 14 with 2743 viewsBloots

The maddest thing will be..... on 11:45 - Nov 14 by Zx1988

Similarly, I'm dreading the 'Prince Philip on steroids' approach that will come from the media.

....but you could always not watch/listen to it.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

The maddest thing will be..... on 11:51 - Nov 14 with 2725 viewsKeno

The maddest thing will be..... on 11:44 - Nov 14 by chicoazul

I was at Diana’s funeral. I tried to start a Mexican wave.

Did someone put a brake on it?

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

HRH on 11:52 - Nov 14 with 2725 viewsRyorry

HMQ on 11:35 - Nov 14 by WeWereZombies

Might also be worth considering that she in bereavement for a recently departed husband, that will have an impact on physical and mental health that takes a while to recover from. I wouldn't write her off yet (or be comfortable speculating about it.) Her video address to the CoP26 delegates was thoughtful and determined, not really indicative of the outcome inferred by the OP.
[Post edited 14 Nov 2021 18:51]

Well said.

Speculation by some is in such poor taste..

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

HRH on 11:54 - Nov 14 with 2701 viewsOldboy

HRH on 11:14 - Nov 14 by StuartBrett8

Was the celebrity death sweepstake thread removed?

That doesn't work in any situation. Very poor taste and today of all days. Shame on you.
Not sure it's similar really.... on 12:18 - Nov 14 with 2567 viewsZx1988

Not sure it's similar really.... on 11:47 - Nov 14 by Bloots

....but you could always not watch/listen to it.

I'm not sure that'll cut it, given the reception of the OTT coverage of Big Phil's demise.

These comments from the Grauniad article linked to earlier in the thread suggest that, despite the very different society back then, the coverage of George VI's death in the early 1950s was deemed to be OTT by many, even then:

The population will slide between sadness and irritability. In 2002, 130 people complained to the BBC about its insensitive coverage of the Queen Mother’s death; another 1,500 complained that Casualty was moved to BBC2. The TV schedules in the days after the Queen’s death will change again. Comedy won’t be taken off the BBC completely, but most satire will. There will be Dad’s Army reruns, but no Have I Got News For You.

People will be touchy either way. After the death of George VI, in a society much more Christian and deferential than this one, a Mass Observation survey showed that people objected to the endless maudlin music, the forelock-tugging coverage. “Don’t they think of old folk, sick people, invalids?” one 60-year old woman asked. “It’s been terrible for them, all this gloom.” In a bar in Notting Hill, one drinker said, “He’s only sh1t and soil now like anyone else,” which started a fight.

Yes, there will be a need for a certain level of memorial and deference, but at the same time the national broadcasters will need to acknowledge that society has changed dramatically since 1952 (as well as since 1997 and 2002) and there is a significant proportion of people that will gladly acknowledge the event on the day, and then move on with their lives.
[Post edited 14 Nov 2021 12:22]

The maddest thing will be..... on 12:39 - Nov 14 with 2454 viewsIllinoisblue

I'm dreading it.

It will indeed be unbearable. Almost as unbearable as a worrying number of our fans bleating and crying about Oxford’s time wasting.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

HRH on 15:16 - Nov 14 with 2183 viewsIP12

HRH on 11:31 - Nov 14 by Fixed_It

I watched that and came to the same conclusion.....
HRH on 15:36 - Nov 14 with 2133 viewsPiercingBlue

I'm reminded of Kenny the paper seller in the 1970s who toured pubs in town selling the Green Un with the words 'Queen dies in plane crash'
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024