Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
HRH 10:51 - Nov 14 with 6166 viewschicoazul

Not at the Cenotaph today.
Feels like 2021 is going for the big finish here.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

HRH on 15:40 - Nov 14 with 2354 viewsEdwardStone

HRH on 11:31 - Nov 14 by Fixed_It

The missus observed that Charles looked like he was going to cry as he laid his mother's wreath. Obviously it is a sombre occasion anyway, but...
[Post edited 14 Nov 2021 11:31]

Surely, he would be jumping for joy. We have long known that he craves the top job....and the only route there is via his Mum's demise
HRH on 16:24 - Nov 14 with 2281 viewsRyorry

HRH on 11:31 - Nov 14 by Fixed_It

The missus observed that Charles looked like he was going to cry as he laid his mother's wreath. Obviously it is a sombre occasion anyway, but...
[Post edited 14 Nov 2021 11:31]

Not that he's lost his father recently, or he might be thinking of Lord Mountbatten, or friends who lost their lives in Afghanistan or anything ...

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

HRH on 16:38 - Nov 14 with 2248 viewsFixed_It

HRH on 16:24 - Nov 14 by Ryorry

Not that he's lost his father recently, or he might be thinking of Lord Mountbatten, or friends who lost their lives in Afghanistan or anything ...

Just an observation. Obviously there could be many reasons.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

HRH on 17:56 - Nov 14 with 2165 viewssolemio

The Queen is not HRH. She is HM.

Princes are HRH. The Queen or King is well majestic, mate.
HRH on 18:08 - Nov 14 with 2132 viewsMullet

HRH on 17:56 - Nov 14 by solemio

The Queen is not HRH. She is HM.

Princes are HRH. The Queen or King is well majestic, mate.

Like prisons and ships innit.

I wish her no ill, but really the monarchy should go with her. It's 2021, this country keeps taking backward steps. It's time we made some social progress and start going though the accounts from the top down, start with Liz's estates and down through the hangers on, the Lords etc.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

HRH on 18:46 - Nov 14 with 2024 viewsOldboy

HRH on 18:08 - Nov 14 by Mullet

Like prisons and ships innit.

I wish her no ill, but really the monarchy should go with her. It's 2021, this country keeps taking backward steps. It's time we made some social progress and start going though the accounts from the top down, start with Liz's estates and down through the hangers on, the Lords etc.

No.
HRH on 18:58 - Nov 14 with 1987 viewsdickie

HRH on 18:46 - Nov 14 by Oldboy

No.

Yes.
HRH on 19:03 - Nov 14 with 1980 viewsElderGrizzly

Boris Johnson visited her on Wednesday. She’s f@cked…
Login to get fewer ads

The maddest thing will be..... on 19:09 - Nov 14 with 1963 viewsvapour_trail

The maddest thing will be..... on 11:41 - Nov 14 by Bloots

.....the reaction by certain elements of our society to her inevitable death.

A country that was once renowned for it's class, decorum and dignity will be reduced to sniping, abuse, pettiness and in some cases gloating at the death of a woman in her late 90s.

I'm dreading it.

This strange watery eyed view of empire era England is such a bizarre and historically illiterate phenomenon, yet so prevalent. It’s wot won the brexit war, this country never existed.

And similarly, whilst the vast majority of the population will either watch with affection or remove themselves from the enormous circus that will ensue the monarch’s passing, a small minority will choose to focus on another small minority kicking off on a few poorly followed socials.

Each to their own.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Not really.... on 19:25 - Nov 14 with 1918 viewsBloots

The maddest thing will be..... on 19:09 - Nov 14 by vapour_trail

This strange watery eyed view of empire era England is such a bizarre and historically illiterate phenomenon, yet so prevalent. It’s wot won the brexit war, this country never existed.

And similarly, whilst the vast majority of the population will either watch with affection or remove themselves from the enormous circus that will ensue the monarch’s passing, a small minority will choose to focus on another small minority kicking off on a few poorly followed socials.

Each to their own.

....it's just common human decency or a lack thereof.

AKA - "Elite Pete"

HRH on 19:54 - Nov 14 with 1844 viewsJohnTy

HRH on 11:32 - Nov 14 by chicoazul

Like a lot of English things it sounds dumb on paper but in practice it works.

English?

That is a big part of the problem of this rather disunited Kingdom.

A lot that used to work is now in question - House of Lords, unwritten Constitution, Established Church, and a weird electoral system that makes voting a waste of time for the majority of the population.
HRH on 20:12 - Nov 14 with 1790 viewsvapour_trail

HRH on 19:54 - Nov 14 by JohnTy

English?

That is a big part of the problem of this rather disunited Kingdom.

A lot that used to work is now in question - House of Lords, unwritten Constitution, Established Church, and a weird electoral system that makes voting a waste of time for the majority of the population.

His whole post was BS.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

HRH on 21:04 - Nov 14 with 1725 viewsMelford

Hope it's before the Cricket season starts, it's a packed schedule and I have tickets for a few.

This is a good long read about what would actually happen
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/mar/16/what-happens-when-queen-elizabet

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Not really.... on 22:37 - Nov 14 with 1624 viewsXYZ

Not really.... on 19:25 - Nov 14 by Bloots

....it's just common human decency or a lack thereof.

You're giving that straw man a good kicking.
The maddest thing will be..... on 23:46 - Nov 14 with 1554 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

The maddest thing will be..... on 11:41 - Nov 14 by Bloots

.....the reaction by certain elements of our society to her inevitable death.

A country that was once renowned for it's class, decorum and dignity will be reduced to sniping, abuse, pettiness and in some cases gloating at the death of a woman in her late 90s.

I'm dreading it.

You just know there will be anti-monarch protesters all over London. It’s going to be a sh*tshow of epic proportions.

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

HRH on 00:00 - Nov 15 with 1523 viewsThe_Major

Yep, you thought we lost our heads in Diana week, you ain't see nothing yet.

On one side you'll have those demanding we wear sackcloth and ashes for the next six months, and that anyone not in full lamentation mode should be shot, and then deported.

On the other you'll get those whinging about Bargain Hunt being cancelled for coverage of possibly the biggest domestic story that the BBC et al have covered for 70 years.

As for the emotional state of Charles today, the two biggest male influences in his life were his father and Louis Mountbatten, both military men who served in the war, both now gone. That must have weighed heavy on his mind. People are also remarking how the rest of them looked unhappy, but WTF were they expecting on at the Cenotaph service? Them all to come out the Foreign Office door like they've been told to come on down on the Price is Right????

Out of morbid curiosity, I typed "London Bridge" into Twitter to see what happened.

Oh, lummee.

Best one being that missing an event that you wouldn't normally miss in a billion years in mid November with the excuse of a bad back, never being seen again, and then popping off a few weeks later is EXACTLY what happened to, er, Terry Wogan, and so this is obviously what is happening now.

Wherever he is, I can only assume the Togmeister is impressed that he is a trendsetter for Her Majesty. :roll:

She'll probably be playing scrum half for Wasps next week.
Not sure it's similar really.... on 00:25 - Nov 15 with 1477 viewsJ2BLUE

Not sure it's similar really.... on 12:18 - Nov 14 by Zx1988

I'm not sure that'll cut it, given the reception of the OTT coverage of Big Phil's demise.

These comments from the Grauniad article linked to earlier in the thread suggest that, despite the very different society back then, the coverage of George VI's death in the early 1950s was deemed to be OTT by many, even then:

The population will slide between sadness and irritability. In 2002, 130 people complained to the BBC about its insensitive coverage of the Queen Mother’s death; another 1,500 complained that Casualty was moved to BBC2. The TV schedules in the days after the Queen’s death will change again. Comedy won’t be taken off the BBC completely, but most satire will. There will be Dad’s Army reruns, but no Have I Got News For You.

People will be touchy either way. After the death of George VI, in a society much more Christian and deferential than this one, a Mass Observation survey showed that people objected to the endless maudlin music, the forelock-tugging coverage. “Don’t they think of old folk, sick people, invalids?” one 60-year old woman asked. “It’s been terrible for them, all this gloom.” In a bar in Notting Hill, one drinker said, “He’s only sh1t and soil now like anyone else,” which started a fight.

Yes, there will be a need for a certain level of memorial and deference, but at the same time the national broadcasters will need to acknowledge that society has changed dramatically since 1952 (as well as since 1997 and 2002) and there is a significant proportion of people that will gladly acknowledge the event on the day, and then move on with their lives.
[Post edited 14 Nov 2021 12:22]

In 2002, 130 people complained to the BBC about its insensitive coverage of the Queen Mother’s death; another 1,500 complained that Casualty was moved to BBC2.

If ever there was a sentence to define humanity...

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Not sure it's similar really.... on 00:36 - Nov 15 with 1456 viewsXYZ

Not sure it's similar really.... on 00:25 - Nov 15 by J2BLUE

In 2002, 130 people complained to the BBC about its insensitive coverage of the Queen Mother’s death; another 1,500 complained that Casualty was moved to BBC2.

If ever there was a sentence to define humanity...

"Humanity" or the 1% of it located in the UK?

There's some remarkably anti-free-speech stuff on this thread.
Not sure it's similar really.... on 02:50 - Nov 15 with 1376 viewsRyorry

Not sure it's similar really.... on 00:36 - Nov 15 by XYZ

Health issues are usually considered confidential, including on here, unless the individuals themselve choose to divulge medical info about themselves. This applies to 'celebs' as well as us mere 'ordinary' people (check the recent threads on KD), so don't see how some people feel HM should be exempt from that consideration.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Not sure it's similar really.... on 03:07 - Nov 15 with 1370 viewsXYZ

Not sure it's similar really.... on 02:50 - Nov 15 by Ryorry

Health issues are usually considered confidential, including on here, unless the individuals themselve choose to divulge medical info about themselves. This applies to 'celebs' as well as us mere 'ordinary' people (check the recent threads on KD), so don't see how some people feel HM should be exempt from that consideration.

I'm not supporting speculation about anyone's health - I'm objecting to the speculation about what certain people may do/ say in the future as if certain views can't be expressed.

Given ER has been in situ for nearly 70 years, I'd have thought it's inevitable and healthy that on her passing (hopefully when she's ready for it) the UK's constitutional arrangement would be examined, by many people for the first time due to ER's longevity. It's the natural time to ask.

This, IMO inevitability, has, by some on here, been represented as "out of order". That view, IMO, is not in line with Britain's proud history of defending free speech.
HRH on 04:55 - Nov 15 with 1337 viewsChurchman

HRH on 16:24 - Nov 14 by Ryorry

I think this is the most likely reason. I’ve noticed on a few occasions over the years how seriously Charles takes Remembrance Sunday. I did hear that he would be taking the salute at the end of the parade yesterday, but didn’t. Who knows.
Not sure it's similar really.... on 08:33 - Nov 15 with 1188 viewsDurovigutum

Not sure it's similar really.... on 00:36 - Nov 15 by XYZ

Anti free speech or being free to be rude and disrespectful? It's this sort of thing that loses "the left" support. Conservative values (not what is in government now) is strongly focused on family probably at the behest of wider society. When Thatcher died it was "distasteful" to see "the witch is dead" parties just as it would be distasteful to see anti-monarchy protests on the day of the Queen's funeral. Fine, make a case for a modern Republic a few weeks later (I'm fairly sure most of the commonwealth will remove the UK monarch as their head of state in the months/years following), but not on the day and especially not in a country that leans centre-right - it just alienates people.
Not sure it's similar really.... on 08:41 - Nov 15 with 1171 viewsGlasgowBlue

Not sure it's similar really.... on 08:33 - Nov 15 by Durovigutum

Anti free speech or being free to be rude and disrespectful? It's this sort of thing that loses "the left" support. Conservative values (not what is in government now) is strongly focused on family probably at the behest of wider society. When Thatcher died it was "distasteful" to see "the witch is dead" parties just as it would be distasteful to see anti-monarchy protests on the day of the Queen's funeral. Fine, make a case for a modern Republic a few weeks later (I'm fairly sure most of the commonwealth will remove the UK monarch as their head of state in the months/years following), but not on the day and especially not in a country that leans centre-right - it just alienates people.

What many in the ‘new left’ fail to understand is that patriotism and support for the monarchy is very strong in traditional Labour voting working class areas.

The last leader never understood that. The new one does.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Not sure it's similar really.... on 08:56 - Nov 15 with 1139 viewsPinewoodblue

Not sure it's similar really.... on 08:33 - Nov 15 by Durovigutum

Not a royalist, as such, but shudder at the thought of a ‘modern republic’ which model do we follow USA, EU, or some tinpot republic in Africa or Asia?

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Not sure it's similar really.... on 09:23 - Nov 15 with 1084 viewsWeWereZombies

Not sure it's similar really.... on 08:56 - Nov 15 by Pinewoodblue

Not a royalist, as such, but shudder at the thought of a ‘modern republic’ which model do we follow USA, EU, or some tinpot republic in Africa or Asia?

Maybe you should look closer to home and consider the Unitary Parliamentary Republic mode of state adopted by Finland, Iceland and the Republic of Ireland? Or advocate a reduced role for the monarchy so that we more closely resemble Denmark, Norway and Sweden, I think that advances in our democracy, alongside proportional representation, could me made in either direction.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024