Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
TWTD opinions sought 19:45 - Nov 17 with 2657 viewsLord_Lucan

Looking to buy a pod coffee machine thing for the office.

* Don't want to be tied down to a specific brand of pod

* Need to be able to make a strong cup of coffee in a decent size cup rather than those miniature small people type cups.

*Obviously must be able to produce coffee from a decent quality pod - is it possible to have option of flat white, expresso cappuccino etc - or is that down to getting those milk frother things?

*Don't want to spend more than £100

Advice appreciated.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

TWTD opinions sought on 12:45 - Nov 18 with 518 viewsHerbivore

TWTD opinions sought on 12:38 - Nov 18 by KingsCrossBlue

I've faffed about with every coffee making machine known to man, but always go back to a cafetiere for my morning pint of espresso.

The moka Italian stove top things are brilliant, but such a pain to set up

I have a little Pantone stove top coffee pot and it's great. To be fair though the high end instants now are very good so I use it less frequently than I used to.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

TWTD opinions sought on 12:56 - Nov 18 with 504 viewsLord_Lucan

TWTD opinions sought on 10:00 - Nov 18 by farkenhell

We bought a Delonghi reconditioned bean to cup over 10 years ago. Still going strong despite over-use every day. Cost about £250 from memory.

Quick, dead easy to use and a pack of beans (grade 5, very drinkable) from Aldi costs less than a couple of quid. The only other outlay we have is a new filter every 6 months or so - cost about £20 I think.

Our pod machine, which we bought before the bean to cup, is still in the box where it was plonked after we ran out of the batch of pods that came with the thing. When I close my eyes, I can still recall the bitter taste. A bit like Mrs F's hairspray!

Lucan - if you haven't yet bought and your budget will stretch to this sort of thing, I would strongly recommend. Choose a recognised make, it should last years and save you plenty over time.

The problem I have is my wife.

She guzzles so much coffee I refuse to buy a machine for home as she would financially drain me in coffee - so we agree she can stick to instant - L'OR

I drink about one cup a day so my actual coffee spend is low but if I buy a bean to cup for my office she will go nuclear.

The dear lady visited my office a couple of weeks ago for the first time in a year and saw that I have spunked £7k on an office extension with new kitchen area.

A bean to cup machine will be the straw that breaks the camels back - either that or it will lead to some major building project at home.

Many men in life simply fail to understand how to deal with a womens mind.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

TWTD opinions sought on 13:03 - Nov 18 with 496 viewsclive_baker

TWTD opinions sought on 12:12 - Nov 18 by SaleAway

out of interest - how is 2 day old water from a perspex tank worse than water that has been sat in a reservoir or water tank outside of your house? ( other than that it is closed off to sources of pollutants).

Bacteria growth innit

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

TWTD opinions sought on 13:08 - Nov 18 with 493 viewsHerbivore

TWTD opinions sought on 12:56 - Nov 18 by Lord_Lucan

She guzzles so much coffee I refuse to buy a machine for home as she would financially drain me in coffee - so we agree she can stick to instant - L'OR

I drink about one cup a day so my actual coffee spend is low but if I buy a bean to cup for my office she will go nuclear.

The dear lady visited my office a couple of weeks ago for the first time in a year and saw that I have spunked £7k on an office extension with new kitchen area.

A bean to cup machine will be the straw that breaks the camels back - either that or it will lead to some major building project at home.

So whipped.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

TWTD opinions sought on 13:31 - Nov 18 with 466 viewsBiGDonnie

Have you got a pret near you? £20 a month coffee subscription, 5 coffees a day limit and you only have to wait 30 mins to get the next one. Ridiculous value and decent enough coffee.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

TWTD opinions sought on 13:59 - Nov 18 with 449 viewsLord_Lucan

TWTD opinions sought on 13:31 - Nov 18 by BiGDonnie

Have you got a pret near you? £20 a month coffee subscription, 5 coffees a day limit and you only have to wait 30 mins to get the next one. Ridiculous value and decent enough coffee.

Is that delivered?

TWTD opinions sought on 15:34 - Nov 18 with 429 viewssotd78

Unsure if this link works but this is a cracking deal.
https://www.dolce-gusto.co.uk/flash-sale?utm_campaign=UK%20-%20Black%20Friday%20

You can buy compatible pods from other than Nestle. I order from a company called MaxiCoffee - French based but UK translated website

Blue shirts/white shorts - sotd78

TWTD opinions sought on 15:37 - Nov 18 with 428 viewswkj

Some sound advice here - whatever you go for, makesure the outflow nozzle is broad. I know the Dulce Gusto machines have a needle thin spout and the water jams it up in no time.

Honestly, the best coffee machine I have ever had is the Cuisinart
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cuisinart-Grind-and-Brew-Plus/dp/B00155PUQ8/ref=asc_df_

I am a bit of a saddo and collect coffee machines (I have 3 in operation) and about 20 or so on display.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Login to get fewer ads

TWTD opinions sought on 15:57 - Nov 18 with 413 viewsmylittletown

TWTD opinions sought on 07:19 - Nov 18 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Not going to bother arguing on the coffee point (even if I do disagree), but you do realise Nespresso isn’t a machine per se? There are various machines made by various manufacturers (Krups, Magimix etc)

So basically the one you had may have been cr*p but that doesn’t mean all Nespresso machines are rubbish. Our Magimix one certainly works fine!

Mine was a Magimix!
TWTD opinions sought on 16:02 - Nov 18 with 400 viewsfarkenhell

TWTD opinions sought on 12:56 - Nov 18 by Lord_Lucan

I see the problem. Mrs F and I get through a couple of packets of beans every week, about £4 worth (Aldi). Assuming that your fair lady drinks as much as we do, you're looking at, say, close to £20 a month, and that's after splashing out for a machine. That pret deal is looking more attractive by the minute.

The cause of the problem, of course, was letting her see your new office extension. You may end up having to get a machine for home and sticking with instant (or pret) for work. If you get away with that, I'd say you've got off lightly!
TWTD opinions sought on 16:06 - Nov 18 with 395 viewswkj

TWTD opinions sought on 16:02 - Nov 18 by farkenhell

I see the problem. Mrs F and I get through a couple of packets of beans every week, about £4 worth (Aldi). Assuming that your fair lady drinks as much as we do, you're looking at, say, close to £20 a month, and that's after splashing out for a machine. That pret deal is looking more attractive by the minute.

The cause of the problem, of course, was letting her see your new office extension. You may end up having to get a machine for home and sticking with instant (or pret) for work. If you get away with that, I'd say you've got off lightly!

I know this is counter-intuitive, but try not to buy coffee in bulk. It is it's best at 14-20 days after roasting (especially espresso). I get a little pouch every week. Also, look for coffee with a roasted date - it makes a huge difference.

Crybaby

TWTD opinions sought on 16:09 - Nov 18 with 392 viewsEwan_Oozami

TWTD opinions sought on 16:06 - Nov 18 by wkj

I know this is counter-intuitive, but try not to buy coffee in bulk. It is it's best at 14-20 days after roasting (especially espresso). I get a little pouch every week. Also, look for coffee with a roasted date - it makes a huge difference.

Thank you for that insight, Special Agent Dale Cooper....

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

TWTD opinions sought on 16:13 - Nov 18 with 390 viewswkj

TWTD opinions sought on 16:09 - Nov 18 by Ewan_Oozami

Thank you for that insight, Special Agent Dale Cooper....

Crybaby

TWTD opinions sought on 19:27 - Nov 18 with 341 viewsLord_Lucan

TWTD opinions sought on 15:37 - Nov 18 by wkj

Some sound advice here - whatever you go for, makesure the outflow nozzle is broad. I know the Dulce Gusto machines have a needle thin spout and the water jams it up in no time.

Honestly, the best coffee machine I have ever had is the Cuisinart
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cuisinart-Grind-and-Brew-Plus/dp/B00155PUQ8/ref=asc_df_

I am a bit of a saddo and collect coffee machines (I have 3 in operation) and about 20 or so on display.

You seem to know your onions.

If you have that many machines and are a bit of an anorak then I think I might take your advice and buy one.........

........but here's the thing. I'm going to buy it for home as currently our kitchen worktops are full of baby milk machine things and shortly little Santas will be placed everywhere. Upshot is that the Mrs will get fed up that she is lacking space, moan that it's always in the way and I will begrudgingly take it to work.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024