Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We've always given managers time 19:33 - Nov 24 with 2661 viewsjasondozzell

That's something to be proud of. We should give Cook the same.

I hate the modern attitude of immediately dismissing anything that's not exactly as wanted straight away.

Look at clubs like Forest, Derby etc chomping through managers in desperate hope they will strike lucky. Something horrible and unedifying about it. It's like those plastic premier league fans whose side is full of incredible players who finish fourth who then brand them all as 'rubbish'.

We've only had about 20 or so managers in our entire history. That's something to be really proud of.

Cook might not get it right or be the right person but let's give him a chance and get behind him and the team. We don't want to become one of those horrible clubs with no soul.

We've suffered a lot and we're desperate to see things change but we want to win as Ipswich, not as some club with a bit of new dosh who thinks they can buy immediate success and just presses the 'next button if they can't.

We've always given managers time on 22:16 - Nov 24 with 737 viewsParky

Absolutely spot on, mate.
We've always given managers time on 22:29 - Nov 24 with 720 viewsjasondozzell

We've always given managers time on 22:16 - Nov 24 by Parky

Absolutely spot on, mate.

Cheers!
We've always given managers time on 22:39 - Nov 24 with 701 viewsGarv

We've always given managers time on 19:42 - Nov 24 by chrismakin

Unfortunately a large majority of town fans haven't seen the club win anything.

A large majority have seen relegation to league 1 followed by a struggle to get out of it

The same large majority are watching the same non effective football as we were last season.

Take away 3 games. We've scored 20 goals in 16 games. Hardly as ground breaking as some make out

We've scored 2 goals in 6 games since Wycombe

Our first shot on target last night at home was the 92nd minute.

'The same large majority are watching the same non effective football as we were last season.'

Don't tell me you actually believe what you're saying. For goodness sake.

Take away three games (that you've deliberately chosen to discount) and we've not been as good as if they weren't discounted. Funny that.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

We've always given managers time on 22:41 - Nov 24 with 705 viewsDropCliffsNotBombs

Even if you do think Cook's time is up, don't see why the notion of Town giving managers time as being a positive is getting the downs.

Good post, JD.
We've always given managers time on 00:28 - Nov 25 with 626 viewsBlueBadger

We've always given managers time on 19:47 - Nov 24 by jasondozzell

I agree we need a run. I'm not saying the inconsistency isn't hugely frustrating or disappointing. But let's hope he can do it.

The evidence right now, isn't in his favour.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

We've always given managers time on 09:04 - Nov 25 with 563 viewsChurchman

Giving managers time is what happened in the good ole days. 3 years was the standard. But not now.

You give examples where hire and fire doesn’t work, so I give you Watford (where are they?), Norwich who binned Gunn after a game and where are they now? And lastly Chelsea. Under Lampard, jogging along. They kicked him out and with much of the same team won the Champions League and will probably win the PL this year.

The key is the quality of who you bring in, not who you let go.

I’m proud of this club’s history but not the last 20 years. Amongst the disgraceful mess the only good thing about it has been the supporters. As for a club with no soul, that’s exactly what we had become under Evans. It now seems to be returning under Gamechanger thank goodness.
We've always given managers time on 09:11 - Nov 25 with 551 viewsRadlett_blue

We've always given managers time on 19:38 - Nov 24 by jasondozzell

Overhauled entire squad in one window and established new style of play that's led to some really entertaining football and some very good results, albeit with a lot of inconsistency and work in progress.

Every game this year at PR has been entertaining. Whole seasons under Mick where the games seemed to merge into one.

Cook has probably one of the two highest budgets in this league. Mick had probably one of the 6 lowest. Your notion that we should be happy that Cook's Town occasionally play better football than Mick's Town in a higher tier is beyond absurd.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

We've always given managers time on 09:12 - Nov 25 with 551 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

We've always given managers time on 19:42 - Nov 24 by chrismakin

Unfortunately a large majority of town fans haven't seen the club win anything.

A large majority have seen relegation to league 1 followed by a struggle to get out of it

The same large majority are watching the same non effective football as we were last season.

Take away 3 games. We've scored 20 goals in 16 games. Hardly as ground breaking as some make out

We've scored 2 goals in 6 games since Wycombe

Our first shot on target last night at home was the 92nd minute.

Your recent holier than thou, the fans know nothing act recently is actually incredible when you were one of the most pro cook fans and wouldn’t allow any criticism of hun whatsoever earlier this season.

You went from massively Cook in to massively Cook out overnight. Which is your prerogative but I’m not sure this ‘the fans know nothing, I’m too clever’ act is all that.

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

Login to get fewer ads

We've always given managers time on 09:14 - Nov 25 with 549 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

We've always given managers time on 09:11 - Nov 25 by Radlett_blue

Cook has probably one of the two highest budgets in this league. Mick had probably one of the 6 lowest. Your notion that we should be happy that Cook's Town occasionally play better football than Mick's Town in a higher tier is beyond absurd.

On a purely entertainment basis though, you can’t deny that it’s better now than under Mick.

Results are worse. Defending is worse. Status is worse. But quite clearly the entertainment and style of football is better. Albeit the two were missing on Tuesday.

We've always given managers time on 09:14 - Nov 25 with 545 viewsBobbychase

We've always given managers time on 19:49 - Nov 24 by jasondozzell

I do understand where you're coming from, but I think we've been great to watch at times too.

We're among the top scorers in the division and the Rotherham game, in terms of the quality of our attacking play, was the exception rather than the rule. It doesn't help the cause of people wanting Cook out when they pretend that A) The summer overhaul didn't up the quality level of the squad over all and B) The football is just as bad as Lambert or the last season under Mick. It just isn't.

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

We've always given managers time on 09:21 - Nov 25 with 540 viewsHerbivore

We've always given managers time on 09:14 - Nov 25 by The_Romford_Blue

On a purely entertainment basis though, you can’t deny that it’s better now than under Mick.

Results are worse. Defending is worse. Status is worse. But quite clearly the entertainment and style of football is better. Albeit the two were missing on Tuesday.

Depends on whether you're entertained by the opposition scoring I guess. We've gone three games without scoring now, that's Mick out stuff.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

We've always given managers time on 10:18 - Nov 25 with 517 viewsGarv

We've always given managers time on 09:04 - Nov 25 by Churchman

Giving managers time is what happened in the good ole days. 3 years was the standard. But not now.

You give examples where hire and fire doesn’t work, so I give you Watford (where are they?), Norwich who binned Gunn after a game and where are they now? And lastly Chelsea. Under Lampard, jogging along. They kicked him out and with much of the same team won the Champions League and will probably win the PL this year.

The key is the quality of who you bring in, not who you let go.

I’m proud of this club’s history but not the last 20 years. Amongst the disgraceful mess the only good thing about it has been the supporters. As for a club with no soul, that’s exactly what we had become under Evans. It now seems to be returning under Gamechanger thank goodness.

Not sure the Chelsea comparison carries much weight.

Lampard to Tuchel is as big an upgrade on a manager that you'll ever see for that level. It's not an upgrade (equivalent) we would see at this level.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

We've always given managers time on 10:20 - Nov 25 with 514 viewsblueboyd

We've always given managers time on 09:14 - Nov 25 by The_Romford_Blue

I guess it depends on what you class as entertainment.... I just want out of this league. some forget we are Ipswich Town are in the third division of english football showing no sign of getting out!
We've always given managers time on 10:37 - Nov 25 with 500 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

We've always given managers time on 09:21 - Nov 25 by Herbivore

Depends on whether you're entertained by the opposition scoring I guess. We've gone three games without scoring now, that's Mick out stuff.

Of course three games without scoring is bad. But we did go like 15 before that where we did. Scored 4 away twice and 6 at home once already this season. 14 goals in 3 games. Wouldn’t have had that in 3 months under Mick

We've always given managers time on 10:39 - Nov 25 with 497 viewstimothyeo

We've always given managers time on 09:12 - Nov 25 by The_Romford_Blue

Your recent holier than thou, the fans know nothing act recently is actually incredible when you were one of the most pro cook fans and wouldn’t allow any criticism of hun whatsoever earlier this season.

You went from massively Cook in to massively Cook out overnight. Which is your prerogative but I’m not sure this ‘the fans know nothing, I’m too clever’ act is all that.

Glad you said it. I pointed out his ridiculous over-defensive stance of Cook didn't add up to the facts of what was happening on the pitch and as per usual it's taken him 6 months longer to actually realise it.
We've always given managers time on 11:02 - Nov 25 with 484 viewsPinewoodblue

It really isn’t about giving Managers time it is about taking action at the appropriate time.

Throughout the Evans years, with the notable exception of Hurst, we have hung into underperforming managers for far too long. Possibly due to an unwillingness , by the owner, to admit having made mistakes

The time to act is before the season becomes a lost cause..

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

We've always given managers time on 11:04 - Nov 25 with 485 viewsHerbivore

We've always given managers time on 10:37 - Nov 25 by The_Romford_Blue

Of course three games without scoring is bad. But we did go like 15 before that where we did. Scored 4 away twice and 6 at home once already this season. 14 goals in 3 games. Wouldn’t have had that in 3 months under Mick

In Mick's final season in the first few months we put 5 past Sunderland, 4 past Millwall, and 4 past Forest. That was in the Championship rather than League 1, and with significantly fewer resources at our disposal. There really aren't many comparisons between the job Cook has done so far and Mick's tenure here where Cook comes out of it favourably. I get people wanting to be positive and to support the project, I want the project to work desperately. But Cook is showing very little to suggest that he's not the weak link in this project. He's done a really poor job to date.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

We've always given managers time on 11:08 - Nov 25 with 470 viewsHighgateBlue

I just want what's best for Ipswich Town at the end of the day. For me it's about results. I appreciate not everyone agrees.

If you're making some moral case that we should be loyal and traditional, then I guess at least that's a coherent case - I just would prioritise results at this stage - we're bottom half of the third division.

If you're making the case that chopping and changing is bad for results, then you have to be more scientific than just citing examples where it hasn't worked (particularly Derby, who have broken rules with their spending - nobody is advocating that). For every Forest, there is a Watford. The latter change managers more than I change my socks, and at present I have an excellent stock of socks. Watford are in the Prem, out of the drop zone, and only get 3/4 the crowds we used to get when we were in the Prem, so they're by no means a big club.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024