Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What does success look like for McKenna? 20:09 - Dec 18 with 3660 viewspennblue

Cool for 9 months. 9 months for McKenna will be up in august next year, is top six for McKenna the minimum ask for this season?

Asking for a friend
[Post edited 18 Dec 2021 20:10]

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

What does success look like for McKenna? on 10:05 - Dec 19 with 855 viewspennblue

What does success look like for McKenna? on 09:10 - Dec 19 by Herbivore

Not good enough, no, but would still be an improvement on how Cook did when he came in following Lambert. I'd like to see some improvement on our PPG and league position and ideally by the end of the season to be looking like a side capable of challenging for promotion. That would represent a big upgrade on Cook and would give me hope for next season.

Something like 8th position then?

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

What does success look like for McKenna? on 10:39 - Dec 19 with 839 viewsHerbivore

What does success look like for McKenna? on 10:05 - Dec 19 by pennblue

Something like 8th position then?

The main thing is improvement, I think probably improvement would naturally see us finish somewhere around 8th but I won't be calling for his head if we finish 9th but come the end of the season we're looking a cohesive side that will push on next season. Sadly the job Cook did has made promotion this season incredibly unlikely, so now it really is about tangible progress ahead of a big push next season.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

What does success look like for McKenna? on 16:28 - Dec 19 with 780 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

What does success look like for McKenna? on 08:21 - Dec 19 by pennblue

So by your rationale, given how badly Cook failed here. Cook was sacked when we were 11 points behind the League Leaders.

So even a modest increase on that poor performance from Cook, should see us top of the League in the form table. Surely that is what you are expecting?

Or am I missing something?

We were 11 points behind the leaders…with those leaders having played 1 and 2 games less in the cases of Rotherham and Wigan respectively

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

What does success look like for McKenna? on 06:06 - Dec 20 with 707 viewsPioneerBlue

This season
Looking at winning 2-3 games in first 6 to create initial forward momentum and rid the feel of here we go again; win more than we lose over remainder of season; Av 1.5pts per game by end of season in May would be great.

If we achieve these things we will be showing greater consistency, and confidence will be building for next season. More than this leaves possibility of crashing too 6. If we don’t achieve there will be many questions about how the new team hasn’t been able to get the players going.

I feel we need to show we are capable of ending season well, we should never let up because that’s not creating a performance culture, for some this means still having a real go at top 6, for me it doesn’t mean expecting promotion is still on the table. It’s certainly an aspiration, we should use that target to focus minds over 23 games and see where we land. Either way improved performance until May sets us in good stead for future. We should remember, the season hasn’t gone as hoped but this isn’t a rebuild, it’s continuing to build and enhance what we have in place.

Summer
There needs to be change. We need to trade and look at where the real gaps in the team are, we coukd address some of this in Jan.

GK (loan-Walton),
LB (loan-Coulson), LMdf / Wing back (depends on future formations)
CB (have Wolf/Burgess reached consistency, is Edmundson still with us),
CM (is Evans/Morsy enough),
Striker (form very up in air, loan-Bonne, Norwood/Jackson earlier era contracts, Piggot)

Next season
Needs to be a promotion challenge, club needs this, players need this, fans need this. Fail trying is acceptable but not welcome. If we fall a bit short that might be enough to keep people on side, not sure what happens if next season starts look like this one has started?

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

What does success look like for McKenna? on 08:44 - Dec 20 with 639 viewsitfcjoe

Play Offs this year would be a huge ask - realistically a new man going in to his first job is likely to be a little up and down.

You'd hope by end of season we'd be somewhere around 70 points and showing some consistency and looking as though we are ready to mount a promotion challenge next season, where the target will be the top 2.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

What does success look like for McKenna? on 08:50 - Dec 20 with 613 viewsZapers

What does success look like for McKenna? on 08:15 - Dec 19 by The_Flashing_Smile

You could've just said, "He shouldn't."

Haha, yep!
What does success look like for McKenna? on 09:00 - Dec 20 with 596 viewsSomethingBlue

I still cling to the hope we can have a play-off stab, even a couple of quick wins now would probably lead us to think it is back on, but we are very close to being out of road on that. Realistically he needs to create a team that is robust and consistently good, tactically flexible but with a definable style and structure, that looks as if it can challenge seriously next year.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

What does success look like for McKenna? on 09:09 - Dec 20 with 577 viewsChurchman

Success this season for me would be tangible improvement. By that I mean something that looks like a proper, organised team. Round pegs in round holes, a bit of tactical flexibility. Do that and better results will follow and there will then be a real chance of identifying areas that need strengthening in the summer.

Ok the above is a bit wishy washy, but for me, structure and organisation are everything. The club have been trying to do that off the pitch, but it appears less so on it. To date it’s been all about trying to find players that fit Cook’s way, whether they are able and willing to or not. That might have been the way to go, but it didn’t work.

I’d like to see us more consistent and maybe win a few games. There was no rhythm with Cook. Up one week, raging the next, players bombed out, players restored. It was all a bit crude, so an end to this would be good.

In terms of league position, higher than where we are and finished last season now will represent not success, but a start. Top six is I think gone. We are not good enough. This is not giving McKenna that dreadful phrase ‘a free hit’, it’s being realistic and giving McKenna some time.
[Post edited 20 Dec 2021 9:10]
Login to get fewer ads

What does success look like for McKenna? on 09:19 - Dec 20 with 548 viewstractorboy1978

What does success look like for McKenna? on 09:00 - Dec 20 by SomethingBlue

I still cling to the hope we can have a play-off stab, even a couple of quick wins now would probably lead us to think it is back on, but we are very close to being out of road on that. Realistically he needs to create a team that is robust and consistently good, tactically flexible but with a definable style and structure, that looks as if it can challenge seriously next year.

I know the crowd and occasion played a part on Saturday, but if we'd played with that sort of intensity all season we wouldn't be where we currently are. We looked so much better and solid in that 3-5-2 too. A formation presumably we've only been working on for a couple of days.

I am sure McKenna will have his own ideas but I'd be licking my lips if I were him because I don't think it'll take a lot to turn us around, despite two stinking performances in the past couple of weeks. A tough ask to get us going quickly/consistently enough to make the top 6 from here though I would think. Realistically we need something like 14 wins and 5 draws from 23 games to have a sniff.
What does success look like for McKenna? on 09:21 - Dec 20 with 548 viewsitfcjoe

What does success look like for McKenna? on 09:09 - Dec 20 by Churchman

Success this season for me would be tangible improvement. By that I mean something that looks like a proper, organised team. Round pegs in round holes, a bit of tactical flexibility. Do that and better results will follow and there will then be a real chance of identifying areas that need strengthening in the summer.

Ok the above is a bit wishy washy, but for me, structure and organisation are everything. The club have been trying to do that off the pitch, but it appears less so on it. To date it’s been all about trying to find players that fit Cook’s way, whether they are able and willing to or not. That might have been the way to go, but it didn’t work.

I’d like to see us more consistent and maybe win a few games. There was no rhythm with Cook. Up one week, raging the next, players bombed out, players restored. It was all a bit crude, so an end to this would be good.

In terms of league position, higher than where we are and finished last season now will represent not success, but a start. Top six is I think gone. We are not good enough. This is not giving McKenna that dreadful phrase ‘a free hit’, it’s being realistic and giving McKenna some time.
[Post edited 20 Dec 2021 9:10]

There's not such thing as a free hit - if we finish up in 16th place, then McKenna is going to be under huge pressure come August with little margin for error - if we finish 7th then he'll have done a good job and have some margin for error in the start next season.

It's why Cook's failure last year was so costly, it added evidence to this season that he wasn't able to string some wins together.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

What does success look like for McKenna? on 12:34 - Dec 20 with 461 viewsElephantintheRoom

Kind of a double-edged word isn't it?

On the one hand is has taken over a rudderless team with no 'Ipswich Players' as such - its a gang of Cook recruits, most of who probably feel they dont belong here, especially after the manager who signed them has been discarded so quickly. Plus some Hurst signings hanging around like a bad smell. Also having loans in some key positions - most of which are well covered by contracted players cant be good for team harmony either.

If some of those players respond aand Town players played instead of pointless loans, there may actually be the basis of a settled team by the end of the season - with some hope for improvement next season.

Im hoping a but of joined up thinking emerges - and the club remembers it has an academy and thinks the Under 23 team is for player development, not a punishment battalion. I'm also hoping there is not a group of hanger-on coaches about to arrive - as McGreal and Dyer deserve a chance and know something about the club.

Given the somewhat unusual ownershio structure I suppose success for McKenna is actually still being here this time next year. The sad thing is that IF he makes a decent fist of the job he'll be headhunted within two years anyway - so either way he could well be gone with Town still in Division Three

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

What does success look like for McKenna? on 13:41 - Dec 20 with 425 viewsRadlett_blue

What does success look like for McKenna? on 12:34 - Dec 20 by ElephantintheRoom

Kind of a double-edged word isn't it?

On the one hand is has taken over a rudderless team with no 'Ipswich Players' as such - its a gang of Cook recruits, most of who probably feel they dont belong here, especially after the manager who signed them has been discarded so quickly. Plus some Hurst signings hanging around like a bad smell. Also having loans in some key positions - most of which are well covered by contracted players cant be good for team harmony either.

If some of those players respond aand Town players played instead of pointless loans, there may actually be the basis of a settled team by the end of the season - with some hope for improvement next season.

Im hoping a but of joined up thinking emerges - and the club remembers it has an academy and thinks the Under 23 team is for player development, not a punishment battalion. I'm also hoping there is not a group of hanger-on coaches about to arrive - as McGreal and Dyer deserve a chance and know something about the club.

Given the somewhat unusual ownershio structure I suppose success for McKenna is actually still being here this time next year. The sad thing is that IF he makes a decent fist of the job he'll be headhunted within two years anyway - so either way he could well be gone with Town still in Division Three

The idea of building a successful Town team based on our academy prospects is romantic, but unrealistic. In each crop, if you get 2-3 players who are up to regular first team football, you are doing very well. They're an endless list of former Town young players about whom we expressed disappointment when they were released, but the reality is that they weren't quite good enough e.g. Richards, Bowditch, Westlake etc etc.
Using loans makes sense as long as they are better than your own players e.g. Bonne, Walton, Celina. I'm expecting a couple of young Man U loan players to arrive in January, although pitching young players into League 1 is very hit & miss.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024