Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So. I've been sitting here thinking. 22:23 - Jan 8 with 2507 viewsOriginalMarkyP

Thinking, not drinking. I don't drink.

And I can't figure it out.

OK. Gillingham are poor. And on a terrible run.
OK. K-McK had 9 days on the training ground.

BUT...

How the Fff did he get them to play like that? When Cook had them for ages and they always looked so fragile.

Also a lot of our good moments under Cook either came in flashes or were mainly centred around individual bits of skill.

Just look at the first 3 goals. The passing. Proper team goals. The players who often looked like total strangers under Cook, look liked they'd been playing together for years. It was so... slick.

And Cook with all his experience could not get a tune out of them. And he'd even managed some of them before.

This guy is 35 and probably only saw the vast majority of these guys play for the first time... what, a month ago?

WTF?

Explain it to me.

And then go back and listen to every excuse riddled interview Cook gave and explain it to me again.

Poll: After our 7 goal thrashing of Needham should we?
Blog: Sounds Better in a Song

So. I've been sitting here thinking. on 22:26 - Jan 8 with 2423 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

I think the answer may be something to do with coaches and a kit man!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

So. I've been sitting here thinking. on 22:28 - Jan 8 with 2395 viewsMetal_Hacker

Cook with Richardson - superb

Cook without Richardson - shît

Poll: If it were one or the other

So. I've been sitting here thinking. on 22:29 - Jan 8 with 2381 viewsOriginalMarkyP

So. I've been sitting here thinking. on 22:26 - Jan 8 by BanksterDebtSlave

I know.

But even that doesn't explain it.

I mean, all that time... WTF were they doing????

Poll: After our 7 goal thrashing of Needham should we?
Blog: Sounds Better in a Song

So. I've been sitting here thinking. on 22:31 - Jan 8 with 2322 viewsMetal_Hacker

So. I've been sitting here thinking. on 22:29 - Jan 8 by OriginalMarkyP

I know.

But even that doesn't explain it.

I mean, all that time... WTF were they doing????

Stealing a living

Poll: If it were one or the other

So. I've been sitting here thinking. on 22:34 - Jan 8 with 2302 viewsWacko

It's about intelligence and the understanding that football has moved on from boxing clubs and pints after games. The best F1 car 5 years ago would get easily beaten by an average one today

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

So. I've been sitting here thinking. on 22:39 - Jan 8 with 2249 viewsNthsuffolkblue

It was like watching a very good League 1 squad that had spent 2 weeks being trained by Premier League coaches.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

So. I've been sitting here thinking. on 22:45 - Jan 8 with 2191 viewsBasuco

So. I've been sitting here thinking. on 22:28 - Jan 8 by Metal_Hacker

Cook with Richardson - superb

Cook without Richardson - shît

Richardson without Cook looks pretty good as well.
So. I've been sitting here thinking. on 23:06 - Jan 8 with 2041 viewswkj

4321 is boIlocks in L1, pretty much

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Login to get fewer ads

So. I've been sitting here thinking. on 23:22 - Jan 8 with 1954 viewsChurchman

I’m gad you asked the question because I sure as hell don’t have the answer. New manager bounce? Clearer team set up? Players after the Charlton disaster taking a bit of responsibility? Opponents playing badly? Nah, I’ve no idea. But we’ll done them and him.

A good result next week at Notlob and it really could be ‘we’ve got something here’.
So. I've been sitting here thinking. on 23:41 - Jan 8 with 1845 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Easy.

Cook had a team of coaches with very little first team coaching experience.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

So. I've been sitting here thinking. on 23:57 - Jan 8 with 1779 viewsBLUEBEAT

Can thank Paul Cook for one thing… getting these players in.

Now we’ve seen how they can really play, albeit against lesser opposition.

Poll: W or W

So. I've been sitting here thinking. on 01:50 - Jan 9 with 1588 viewsBasingstokeBlue

So. I've been sitting here thinking. on 23:06 - Jan 8 by wkj

4321 is boIlocks in L1, pretty much

Cook’s 4-2-3-1 was, too.

Poll: What do you think of the three stars being relocated?

So. I've been sitting here thinking. on 08:11 - Jan 9 with 1327 viewsKeaneish

Think you’ve over simplified the good Cook did quite dramatically. We looked excellent in passages, it just wasn’t consistent enough. Couple that with weak defending at the start of the season and that would be accurate.

Cook started to make us defensively more resolute, McGreal and Dyer added to it and McKenna and Pert have built on it.

Yesterday’s champagne football wasn’t the result of 9-days on the training pitch; it’s a result of that plus all the incremental gains of a lot of insight from many coaches over the season. McKenna and Pert rightly take all the plaudits for amplifying what was there to an exceptional standard but there were solid foundations in place.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

So. I've been sitting here thinking. on 08:11 - Jan 9 with 1326 views44_not_out

Cook was still waiting for them to gel
So. I've been sitting here thinking. on 08:20 - Jan 9 with 1274 viewsITFC_Forever

Passing.
Movement.
Cohesion.
Tactics.
Trust in each other.
Discipline.

Who knew.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

So. I've been sitting here thinking. on 10:05 - Jan 9 with 1042 viewsgordon

So. I've been sitting here thinking. on 22:26 - Jan 8 by BanksterDebtSlave

Brenner said that James Pullen was sent out to give Macauley Bonne a coat when he was dilly-dallying with the fans after being subbed. Can't imagine Cook's lot thinking in that kind of empathetic, sensible, prudent manner.

Hoping for a Mark Ashton high-fiving lap of the ground next home game.
So. I've been sitting here thinking. on 10:07 - Jan 9 with 1036 viewsgordon

So. I've been sitting here thinking. on 08:11 - Jan 9 by 44_not_out

Cook was still waiting for them to gel

To be fair though the gel was stuck in customs at Calais waiting for the Brexit paperwork to be sent in. Cook's hands were tied.
So. I've been sitting here thinking. on 10:12 - Jan 9 with 1019 viewsgordon

So. I've been sitting here thinking. on 08:11 - Jan 9 by Keaneish

Think you’ve over simplified the good Cook did quite dramatically. We looked excellent in passages, it just wasn’t consistent enough. Couple that with weak defending at the start of the season and that would be accurate.

Cook started to make us defensively more resolute, McGreal and Dyer added to it and McKenna and Pert have built on it.

Yesterday’s champagne football wasn’t the result of 9-days on the training pitch; it’s a result of that plus all the incremental gains of a lot of insight from many coaches over the season. McKenna and Pert rightly take all the plaudits for amplifying what was there to an exceptional standard but there were solid foundations in place.

That's a bit much for me, we have excellent players at this level, who managed some excellent moments, all the highlights from the Cook era were really just individual moments of brilliance.

Yesterday was completely different, it was a cohesive team for the first time in ages - agree that McGreal may be due some praise for the way he set the team up against Sunderland, but isn't it quite likely that McKenna suggested the 3-5-2, given that McGreal set the team up different in his first two games, and McKenna hasn't really changed the formation since he took over properly.
So. I've been sitting here thinking. on 10:23 - Jan 9 with 980 viewsRozz

So. I've been sitting here thinking. on 08:11 - Jan 9 by Keaneish

Agree in part, but do think McKenna's the focus on short, sharp exchanges was there for all to see, particularly in the centre of the park. While we do have the quality to hurt teams, our movement off the ball (particularly without Burns in the side to drag players wide) has been tragic at times.

We looked much more dynamic yesterday, constantly moving to create space and angles and breaking lines. Granted Gills were shoite, but the fact you could argue it was Evans' / Aluko's / Morsy's best game for us is not coincidental IMO. That central area has seen good individual performances but never looked particularly cohesive.

Of course, if McKenna came in at the start of the season, he'd have a different set of challenges. But he's come at the time he has, identified areas of weakness and appears to have made a tangible improvement to performance. Let's see if he can get the consistency.

*I do however wonder whether he'd have found this formation / system on his own, or whether McGreal has done him a solid.
[Post edited 9 Jan 2022 10:35]
So. I've been sitting here thinking. on 10:38 - Jan 9 with 932 viewsWickets

Another thing i have noticed . With PC and with previous managers at Town , when subs where being made they just seemed to be coming on with a quick word in their ear . In KM the first game against Wycombe showing players coming on to the pitch were being advised on a Tablet what the manager wanted ! Town are beginning to catch up .
So. I've been sitting here thinking. on 10:44 - Jan 9 with 902 viewsRozz

So. I've been sitting here thinking. on 10:38 - Jan 9 by Wickets

Another thing i have noticed . With PC and with previous managers at Town , when subs where being made they just seemed to be coming on with a quick word in their ear . In KM the first game against Wycombe showing players coming on to the pitch were being advised on a Tablet what the manager wanted ! Town are beginning to catch up .

Chuckled at the idea Cook would need a tablet to explain to Pigott he'll be replacing Bonne like-for-like and has 6 minutes to show what he can do.
So. I've been sitting here thinking. on 11:40 - Jan 9 with 811 viewsOldsmoker

Football is like a box of chocolates....

.... or maybe not.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

So. I've been sitting here thinking. on 13:42 - Jan 9 with 722 viewsWickets

So. I've been sitting here thinking. on 10:44 - Jan 9 by Rozz

Chuckled at the idea Cook would need a tablet to explain to Pigott he'll be replacing Bonne like-for-like and has 6 minutes to show what he can do.

Yes and i take your point but look back to the sub's against AFC Wimb , think that was the game , when the substutions were absolute chaos and helped towards us conceding late on to drop two more points . My point is we seemed to have moved on to the 21st century at last .
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024