Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A tale of two Gillinghams (A) 08:44 - Jan 9 with 2865 viewsHerbivore

Around ten and a half months ago, Paul Cook faced an away trip to Gillingham as his first game in charge. We'd just won 3 on the spin to put ourselves back into promotion contention, and Cook himself had been talking about a shot at automatic promotion, let alone the play offs. We limply lost 3-1, looking more disjointed than ever, and it signalled the start of a horrendous end of season run that saw us finish meekly in midtable.

In some ways, that performance and result set the tone for Cook's time here. We only fleetingly ever looked a coherent side benefitting from quality coaching. If you strung together the spells of good performance under Cook you'd probably carve out enough for 2 or 3 full 90 minute games out of 40 odd. He just never got going here if we're honest, we looked as disjointed in some of his latter games here as we did in those early days, whilst never really being able to fall back on at least being defensively sound.

Yesterday was McKenna's second game in charge, so admittedly it's not exactly like for like, but when you compare the two performances against the same opposition right at the start of each manager's tenure it's absolutely night and day. McKenna seems to have got more coaching into the players in 2-3 weeks than Cook managed in 6 months. The shape and the clearly evident style of play were miles away from the mish-mash performances we saw under Cook, which often seemed to be based on nothing more sophisticated than sticking eleven better players out there than the opposition could muster.

It is early days of course and Gillingham were hopeless, but on the evidence of the first two games we look to have a manager who can get these players performing as a cohesive team. You'd think that's a bare minimum requirement for a manager generally, but after our last three incumbents this really feels like a breath of fresh air.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

A tale of two Gillinghams (A) on 09:17 - Jan 9 with 2686 viewsStewart27

It’s a thing of beauty isn’t it?

I know it was only Gillingham, but how often have we been easy pickings for terrible teams to end their bad runs?

Yesterday we showed no mercy in the first half and completely managed the game in the second.
A tale of two Gillinghams (A) on 09:32 - Jan 9 with 2603 viewsHerbivore

A tale of two Gillinghams (A) on 09:17 - Jan 9 by Stewart27

I know it was only Gillingham, but how often have we been easy pickings for terrible teams to end their bad runs?

Yesterday we showed no mercy in the first half and completely managed the game in the second.

It's the sort of game we've been easily bullied out of in the past, but yesterday we nullified that by winning our battles and being brave on the ball. When they tried to go tight we moved the ball quickly and played through them, always giving the player receiving the ball options with our movement off the ball. Was greet to see.

A tale of two Gillinghams (A) on 09:34 - Jan 9 with 2583 viewsDubtractor

A tale of two Gillinghams (A) on 09:32 - Jan 9 by Herbivore

It's the sort of game we've been easily bullied out of in the past, but yesterday we nullified that by winning our battles and being brave on the ball. When they tried to go tight we moved the ball quickly and played through them, always giving the player receiving the ball options with our movement off the ball. Was greet to see.

I posted about it yesterday, but our movement really was exceptional.

Players were getting into positions anticipating the second and third passes in a move, so the player in possession always had options for a quick pass. Gillingham simply couldn't live with it.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

A tale of two Gillinghams (A) on 09:42 - Jan 9 with 2543 viewswitchdoctor

the whole team seem to have a spring in their step from the defence who are looking so confident on the ball…our two strikers who are relishing playing as a pair…ably assisted by alukou and burns.and noticeably for me has been the improvement from our central midfield…evans has had arguably the best couple of games for us and it’s good to see morsy getting forward as well…really hope we haven’t left it to late for a promotion charge….whatever happens the future’s looking a whole lot brighter than a month or so ago
[Post edited 9 Jan 2022 9:43]
A tale of two Gillinghams (A) on 09:44 - Jan 9 with 2528 viewsHerbivore

A tale of two Gillinghams (A) on 09:34 - Jan 9 by Dubtractor

Players were getting into positions anticipating the second and third passes in a move, so the player in possession always had options for a quick pass. Gillingham simply couldn't live with it.

For the first 30 minutes and most of the second half it was hard to believe I was watching Town. Our movement really was incredible and it was also noticeable that we were hitting and pinging our passes with real zip, not just rolling it along between defence and midfield. The pace with which we used the ball matched the tempo of our movement off it. It was really great to see. We looked like a decent Championship side taking a cup game seriously against a lower League 1 side.

A tale of two Gillinghams (A) on 09:56 - Jan 9 with 2460 viewsJakeITFC

Bravery on the ball the biggest thing for me - players willing to take risks with a pass, touch or dribble because they know that the fluidity of the movement and system will bail them out if it does wrong.

A small thing, but the instantaneous way that Evans sat in for Edmundson when he went on one of his marauding runs is something that must have been drilled into them in the past few weeks. The action in of itself isn’t new - Fridge has been carrying the ball all season, but now it is planned and accommodated for rather than him doing it because he’s frustrated by a lack of options ahead.
A tale of two Gillinghams (A) on 10:07 - Jan 9 with 2407 viewsJDB23

I think the best thing about yesterday is that all of the players must now surely buy into what McKenna is trying to do. That's a really good thing so early into his time here and sets us up nicely going forward.
A tale of two Gillinghams (A) on 10:09 - Jan 9 with 2388 viewsWickets

Must agree with the OP . We now have hope , the movement off the ball was as good as i have seen from a Town side for donkeys years .
Login to get fewer ads

'Breath of fresh air' on 10:21 - Jan 9 with 2366 viewsDyland

The first proverbial 'breath of fresh air' since.... well, Burley.

Magic circumstances different.

Joe situation different.

McCarthy did a good job in many senses, right up until he didn't (yeh yeh I know)... but he's not the proverbial fresh air is he, arf.

Keane yeh right. Jewell yeh right. Lambert yeh RIGHT.

Loads of people saying Hurst was a 'breath of fresh air' after his first big presser, proving people hear what they want to hear. There was nothing fresh about him at all and having an open mind (and actually being quite excited by his appointment) because I knew nothing about him, he just never impressed me as being anything exciting. In mitigation to Hurst, Evans fooked that one up and is ultimately responsible for the McCarthy-Hurst-Lambert-relegation fiasco.

Cook was so honest and passionate and I liked him, but again, he was not the proverbial 'fresh air'. Classic (though decent) Evans appointment to run everything. Gamechangers first choice too? Corporate speak. As if he was.

Cook took a massive gamble on ripping everything up knowing he'd have a budget to assemble a decent squad. He bet everything on having time to belligerently bully teams with the same system and better players. Even if that had worked quicker, it's not a great basis to progress if we're promoted. Teams work you out and our budget is never going to be THAT big to always simply have far better players, in the Champ or dare I say it Prem. It was such an old school approach, and his 'demolition' meant he had nowhere to hide. He says he needed more time... yeh right, he knows football. His gamble failed, the end. He's a decent manager though and good luck to him.

I don't even feel particularly positive or excited longer term cos we've been here before and it's far too early to judge, but have absolutely been positive during and after the last two games. I can enjoy it in the moment. McKenna has arguably been lucky with the cancellations and time on the training ground, cos that is his strength. Is he the real deal? Maybe... and as someone commented yesterday, he looks like someone with a PhD taking his GCSEs again. What he absolutely is, is a breath of fresh air. And we deserve a bit of fooking luck anyway.

COYFB

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

A tale of two Gillinghams (A) on 10:49 - Jan 9 with 2216 viewsDyland

Amazing also how much space Burns had, up until around 60 minutes. What I loved even more was how he still set up attacks even when he was more closely marked. As you say, Gills just could not live with us at all. Stonking game and as Gavvers said such a welcome break from being stressed watching Town even if we're winning. Sterner tests to come, one game at a time innit.

'Breath of fresh air' on 11:03 - Jan 9 with 2162 viewsPinewoodblue

'Breath of fresh air' on 10:21 - Jan 9 by Dyland

The first proverbial 'breath of fresh air' since.... well, Burley.

Magic circumstances different.

Joe situation different.

McCarthy did a good job in many senses, right up until he didn't (yeh yeh I know)... but he's not the proverbial fresh air is he, arf.

Keane yeh right. Jewell yeh right. Lambert yeh RIGHT.

Loads of people saying Hurst was a 'breath of fresh air' after his first big presser, proving people hear what they want to hear. There was nothing fresh about him at all and having an open mind (and actually being quite excited by his appointment) because I knew nothing about him, he just never impressed me as being anything exciting. In mitigation to Hurst, Evans fooked that one up and is ultimately responsible for the McCarthy-Hurst-Lambert-relegation fiasco.

Cook was so honest and passionate and I liked him, but again, he was not the proverbial 'fresh air'. Classic (though decent) Evans appointment to run everything. Gamechangers first choice too? Corporate speak. As if he was.

Cook took a massive gamble on ripping everything up knowing he'd have a budget to assemble a decent squad. He bet everything on having time to belligerently bully teams with the same system and better players. Even if that had worked quicker, it's not a great basis to progress if we're promoted. Teams work you out and our budget is never going to be THAT big to always simply have far better players, in the Champ or dare I say it Prem. It was such an old school approach, and his 'demolition' meant he had nowhere to hide. He says he needed more time... yeh right, he knows football. His gamble failed, the end. He's a decent manager though and good luck to him.

I don't even feel particularly positive or excited longer term cos we've been here before and it's far too early to judge, but have absolutely been positive during and after the last two games. I can enjoy it in the moment. McKenna has arguably been lucky with the cancellations and time on the training ground, cos that is his strength. Is he the real deal? Maybe... and as someone commented yesterday, he looks like someone with a PhD taking his GCSEs again. What he absolutely is, is a breath of fresh air. And we deserve a bit of fooking luck anyway.

COYFB

Reminds me very much of the last Ipswich Town to be promoted. A well prepared team with ability and determination to succeed at a higher level.

We mustn’t get carried away but the signs of a bright future are there to see. Much like the false dawn of the season we finished fifth in the top flight. Every game is an adventure for players and supporters alike.

Long may it continue. Bring on Notlob.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

'Breath of fresh air' on 11:46 - Jan 9 with 2082 viewsDyland

'Breath of fresh air' on 11:03 - Jan 9 by Pinewoodblue

Reminds me very much of the last Ipswich Town to be promoted. A well prepared team with ability and determination to succeed at a higher level.

We mustn’t get carried away but the signs of a bright future are there to see. Much like the false dawn of the season we finished fifth in the top flight. Every game is an adventure for players and supporters alike.

Long may it continue. Bring on Notlob.

There's also genuine Champsionship quality in this team, including but not limited to Burns, Morsi and Edmundsen. Add plenty of others on their day. One game at a time innit.. the season ain't over.

A tale of two Gillinghams (A) on 12:17 - Jan 9 with 2015 viewsRyorry

A tale of two Gillinghams (A) on 09:56 - Jan 9 by JakeITFC

Bravery on the ball the biggest thing for me - players willing to take risks with a pass, touch or dribble because they know that the fluidity of the movement and system will bail them out if it does wrong.

A small thing, but the instantaneous way that Evans sat in for Edmundson when he went on one of his marauding runs is something that must have been drilled into them in the past few weeks. The action in of itself isn’t new - Fridge has been carrying the ball all season, but now it is planned and accommodated for rather than him doing it because he’s frustrated by a lack of options ahead.

And also much faster to, & more determined to win, 50-50 balls.

Plus clearly improved speed of thought - the absence of which has been really annoying & frustrating for years!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

A tale of two Gillinghams (A) on 13:54 - Jan 9 with 1900 viewsDyland

A tale of two Gillinghams (A) on 12:17 - Jan 9 by Ryorry

And also much faster to, & more determined to win, 50-50 balls.

Plus clearly improved speed of thought - the absence of which has been really annoying & frustrating for years!

Innit. Funny how a team that looks more determined also looks like they are getting the rub of the green on 50-50 balls.

A tale of two Gillinghams (A) on 14:00 - Jan 9 with 1872 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Burns did an interview after the game and said they had worked in training on getting away from a man marker. It is like there is a coach who understands how to train tactics and skills into the players.

I am sure there will be bumps in the road but this is such a breath of fresh air. Even under MM, the tactics and organisation were as much about stopping the opposition playing as ensuring we wouldn't let them stop us.

This was like a Joe Royle side but without the gung-ho attitude to defending. I honestly think yesterday's performance was better than anything seen since Burley was in charge.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

A tale of two Gillinghams (A) on 14:07 - Jan 9 with 1856 viewsDyland

A tale of two Gillinghams (A) on 14:00 - Jan 9 by Nthsuffolkblue

Burns did an interview after the game and said they had worked in training on getting away from a man marker. It is like there is a coach who understands how to train tactics and skills into the players.

I am sure there will be bumps in the road but this is such a breath of fresh air. Even under MM, the tactics and organisation were as much about stopping the opposition playing as ensuring we wouldn't let them stop us.

This was like a Joe Royle side but without the gung-ho attitude to defending. I honestly think yesterday's performance was better than anything seen since Burley was in charge.

Agreed. We looked like a decent Championship team... though of course, that was helped by Gills. One of my lot commented it looked like a Champ team taking an FA Cup tie seriously against a poor L1 side. Which made me smile wryly :)

A tale of two Gillinghams (A) on 14:45 - Jan 9 with 1802 viewsHerbivore

A tale of two Gillinghams (A) on 14:07 - Jan 9 by Dyland

Agreed. We looked like a decent Championship team... though of course, that was helped by Gills. One of my lot commented it looked like a Champ team taking an FA Cup tie seriously against a poor L1 side. Which made me smile wryly :)

I used that line on here as well! That was how it looked for sure.

A tale of two Gillinghams (A) on 16:04 - Jan 9 with 1695 viewsArnieM

Nice post Herb. The only major difference is the quality of the squad and the willingness of the squads to play for their new manager . One squad downed tools ( because they knew they’d soon be surplus to requirements?), the other squad ( Cooks hand picked payers with true quality ) and willing to try new ideas and basically fitter .

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

A tale of two Gillinghams (A) on 16:10 - Jan 9 with 1681 viewschrismakin

A tale of two Gillinghams (A) on 09:17 - Jan 9 by Stewart27

Yesterday reminded me of when we used to play the likes of portvale and Oldham etc under Burley. No fear. Score. Keep going and see the game through scoring more and more and not relenting.

It's 2 games so we can't say things have turned just yet. But as a single performance it was probably the most 'ipswich' football we've seen for many years.
[Post edited 9 Jan 2022 16:12]

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

A tale of two Gillinghams (A) on 16:17 - Jan 9 with 1645 viewsHerbivore

A tale of two Gillinghams (A) on 16:04 - Jan 9 by ArnieM

Nice post Herb. The only major difference is the quality of the squad and the willingness of the squads to play for their new manager . One squad downed tools ( because they knew they’d soon be surplus to requirements?), the other squad ( Cooks hand picked payers with true quality ) and willing to try new ideas and basically fitter .

Although Cook didn't get much more out of his handpicked squad than he did the squad he inherited. That's why he's no longer here. The difference McKenna has made in a few weeks is amazing, albeit it's early days.

A tale of two Gillinghams (A) on 18:00 - Jan 9 with 1530 viewsSwansea_Blue

Yeah, I don’t know what’s gone wrong. It’s most un-Ipswich like and if it carries on like this we’ll have nothing to moan about (except the time to get served at half time, even McKenna couldn’t improve that).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

A tale of two Gillinghams (A) on 18:08 - Jan 9 with 1498 viewsSwansea_Blue

A tale of two Gillinghams (A) on 16:17 - Jan 9 by Herbivore

Although Cook didn't get much more out of his handpicked squad than he did the squad he inherited. That's why he's no longer here. The difference McKenna has made in a few weeks is amazing, albeit it's early days.

It’s night and day innit (and nicely put in the OP). It is early days, and yes Gillingham were a basket case, but for once I’m starting to think it’s not going to be another false dawn. I’ve been crying out for us to take this approach to recruiting a manager rather than Evans’ ridiculous stipulation that he had to have someone who’s been promoted before. Hopefully we’ve struck lucky the first time of trying. We’ll see. The test will be how he responds when the inevitable dip comes along.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

A tale of two Gillinghams (A) on 21:13 - Jan 9 with 1334 viewsjeera

A tale of two Gillinghams (A) on 16:17 - Jan 9 by Herbivore

It was only a few weeks ago or so when the current players were considered to be underperforming that it was suddenly argued they were Ashton's signings and not Cook's.

A couple of decent games and Cook deserves recognition for leaving behind a competent squad.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

A tale of two Gillinghams (A) on 21:31 - Jan 9 with 1267 viewsHerbivore

A tale of two Gillinghams (A) on 21:13 - Jan 9 by jeera

It was only a few weeks ago or so when the current players were considered to be underperforming that it was suddenly argued they were Ashton's signings and not Cook's.

A couple of decent games and Cook deserves recognition for leaving behind a competent squad.

Indeed. Some impressive mental gymnastics going on right now.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024