Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Storm Eunice on a par with the storm of 1987! 12:17 - Feb 16 with 6565 viewsportmanking

Widespread amber warnings across the whole of southern/eastern/western England haven't been on this scale since then. We could be looking at some severe disruption during Friday daytime in Suffolk...

Some models are suggesting up to 80-90mph winds even inland!

Game could be in jeopardy perhaps on Sat.
[Post edited 16 Feb 2022 12:17]
Storm Eunice on a par with the storm of 1987! on 22:58 - Feb 16 with 969 viewsRyorry

Storm Eunice on a par with the storm of 1987! on 18:43 - Feb 16 by witchdoctor

poor old biscuit got blown all the way to Ufford…lost an ear as well…

The real issue there of course is - how did she predict hurricanes between July and April? 😂

Was living about 200m away from Loftus Rd at the time, a few big trees that had lined the road nearby in Chiswick came down. Nobody could go anywhere - bad day for us, as ex had had a 1-off lucrative job lined up in the W. country & we needed the dosh.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Storm Eunice on a par with the storm of 1987! on 08:57 - Feb 17 with 856 viewsportmanking

Latest models showing Ipswich right on the course of a jet sting which could bring winds of 105-110mph around rush hour tomorrow.

Still, it's only a bit of wind.
Storm Eunice on a par with the storm of 1987! on 09:29 - Feb 17 with 834 viewsSteve_M

Storm Eunice on a par with the storm of 1987! on 19:28 - Feb 16 by Freddies_Ears

The January 1990 (90A) storm would have done as much, or even more, damage than 87J, except that 87J cleared out anything ready to fall over. These were the worst storms in the UK since December 1703 (which, itself, is thought to have been the worst for 500 years, though how this is known....).

Ah yes, Jan 1990.

I imagine that naval records hold some of the detail going back beyond 1703 but not quite as far back as 1200. A lot of folk memory perhaps.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Storm Eunice on a par with the storm of 1987! on 09:31 - Feb 17 with 828 viewsblueasfook

Storm Eunice on a par with the storm of 1987! on 16:20 - Feb 16 by usm

Please don't

Awww, that hurts

Elite Poster. TWTD Hottest Poster (1999, 2000, 2001).
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Storm Eunice on a par with the storm of 1987! on 10:52 - Feb 17 with 763 viewsjeera

Storm Eunice on a par with the storm of 1987! on 09:31 - Feb 17 by blueasfook

Awww, that hurts

Just needs someone with a mobile phone to record.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Storm Eunice on a par with the storm of 1987! on 11:05 - Feb 17 with 740 viewsnorfsufblue

Storm Eunice on a par with the storm of 1987! on 12:51 - Feb 16 by portmanking

You're not old enough to have witnessed the hurricane in 1987 I presume?

Winds of 70-80mph in exposed urban areas like Ipswich could cause widespread damage.

It was carnage.... my chargehand lost his important trilby hat!
Storm Eunice on a par with the storm of 1987! on 11:12 - Feb 17 with 727 viewsgordon

Getting sunshine, winds, snow, rain, hail in five minute cycles where I am (Perthshire), a whole lot of snow is forecast for tomorrow into saturday morning.

Really getting into Parkrun and desperately hoping that a) my local one isn't called off on Saturday and b) lots of other people chicken out, thus allowing me to sneak a top 20, or heavens forbid a top 10 finish.
Storm Eunice on a par with the storm of 1987! on 11:33 - Feb 17 with 679 viewsTheReverendSpooner

Storm Eunice on a par with the storm of 1987! on 15:13 - Feb 16 by Mookamoo

I'm supposed to meeting someone on Friday to go walking in the Peaks and go up Mam Tor.

I'll wear my ITFC scarf so everyone knows it's me when I make the news.

A sprightly parishioner of mine and her Greek gentleman friend who really do like to get the most out of life, have only two days ago, somewhat serendipitously postponed their planned week of intense trekking around Buxton.

Unfortunately, she has been having a spot of trouble with her haemorrhoids of late, and her Doctor has advised her to avoid porking in the Weak District for the time being.

There veritably is only one Sticky Mockwell, don't you know.

Login to get fewer ads

Storm Eunice on a par with the storm of 1987! on 11:52 - Feb 17 with 632 viewsWhos_blue

I left school in the summer of 87 and was working on a building site in Impington, just north of Cambridge. Some of the gable ends of the partially built houses had come down, but much had stood up. The forest areas around Newmarket however were devastated. The area near to the Bury road lost litterally thousands of trees and has never looked the same. The landscape changed overnight. We never had weather warnings back then and I think some of them over react a bit, but better to have the warning than not. A very rare red alert is now in place for the south west. Keep safe anyone from down that way.

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024