Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Storm Eunice on a par with the storm of 1987! 12:17 - Feb 16 with 6566 viewsportmanking

Widespread amber warnings across the whole of southern/eastern/western England haven't been on this scale since then. We could be looking at some severe disruption during Friday daytime in Suffolk...

Some models are suggesting up to 80-90mph winds even inland!

Game could be in jeopardy perhaps on Sat.
[Post edited 16 Feb 2022 12:17]
Storm Eunice on a par with the storm of 1987! on 14:29 - Feb 16 with 1916 viewshype313

Storm Eunice on a par with the storm of 1987! on 14:16 - Feb 16 by The_Flashing_Smile

I did my paper round in that. Didn't know what it was when I set off, just thought it was pretty windy and came across a lot of trees across the roads.

Turns out I was the only paper boy who did his round that day, so I got plenty of tips that Christmas. My parents were relieved when I got home in one piece!

Walked out of house to walk to school, nearly got hit by flying tiles from the roof, walked briskly back inside.

Kudos for you to do a paper round, I was thankful for the day off school.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Storm Eunice on a par with the storm of 1987! on 14:38 - Feb 16 with 1895 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Storm Eunice on a par with the storm of 1987! on 14:29 - Feb 16 by hype313

Walked out of house to walk to school, nearly got hit by flying tiles from the roof, walked briskly back inside.

Kudos for you to do a paper round, I was thankful for the day off school.

If I'd known it was a hurricane (or hurricane force) I might not have bothered. I'm sure my parents wouldn't have let me go if they'd known either (they were still asleep when I left)!

You don't really think of the danger when you're that age but I could've quite easily been hit by falling trees, debris etc. Several people were killed as I recall.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Storm Eunice on a par with the storm of 1987! on 14:40 - Feb 16 with 1885 viewshype313

Storm Eunice on a par with the storm of 1987! on 14:38 - Feb 16 by The_Flashing_Smile

If I'd known it was a hurricane (or hurricane force) I might not have bothered. I'm sure my parents wouldn't have let me go if they'd known either (they were still asleep when I left)!

You don't really think of the danger when you're that age but I could've quite easily been hit by falling trees, debris etc. Several people were killed as I recall.

Yep, a number of casualties, to be fair to our parents, we were all blissfully unaware of how bad it was going to get and poor old Michael Fish bore the brunt.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Storm Eunice on a par with the storm of 1987! on 14:47 - Feb 16 with 1865 viewsblueasfook

I'll cancel my hang-gliding lesson I had booked for friday then

Elite Poster. TWTD Hottest Poster (1999, 2000, 2001).
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Storm Eunice on a par with the storm of 1987! on 14:51 - Feb 16 with 1857 viewsSitfcB

Storm Eunice on a par with the storm of 1987! on 14:47 - Feb 16 by blueasfook

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Storm Eunice on a par with the storm of 1987! on 15:08 - Feb 16 with 1820 viewsblueasfook

Storm Eunice on a par with the storm of 1987! on 14:51 - Feb 16 by SitfcB

Cushty!

Classic episode that one

Elite Poster. TWTD Hottest Poster (1999, 2000, 2001).
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Storm Eunice on a par with the storm of 1987! on 15:13 - Feb 16 with 1804 viewsMookamoo

I'm supposed to meeting someone on Friday to go walking in the Peaks and go up Mam Tor.

I'll wear my ITFC scarf so everyone knows it's me when I make the news.
Storm Eunice on a par with the storm of 1987! on 16:20 - Feb 16 with 1726 viewsusm

Please don't

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

Login to get fewer ads

Storm Eunice on a par with the storm of 1987! on 16:32 - Feb 16 with 1705 viewsTrequartista

Are they SAGE models? Expect it to not be as bad as predicted if so.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Storm Eunice on a par with the storm of 1987! on 18:19 - Feb 16 with 1608 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Storm Eunice on a par with the storm of 1987! on 14:40 - Feb 16 by hype313

Yep, a number of casualties, to be fair to our parents, we were all blissfully unaware of how bad it was going to get and poor old Michael Fish bore the brunt.

I camped in a field near Woodbridge that night.

A very interesting experience, especially hiking back to Woodbridge amongst the devastation in the morning.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Storm Eunice on a par with the storm of 1987! on 18:41 - Feb 16 with 1559 viewsjas0999

Sounds in line with the storm we had a couple of years ago. Doris? Either way, not good, arguably would be worse if over night.
Storm Eunice on a par with the storm of 1987! on 18:41 - Feb 16 with 1561 viewsSteve_M

Storm Eunice on a par with the storm of 1987! on 14:20 - Feb 16 by Illinoisblue

I recall going to Bourne Park the day after and was genuinely amazed to see giant trees ripped out of the ground.

My Dad has pictures of Christchurch Park shortly afterwards; it was a mess.

There was another really big storm in 89/90 which wasn’t as bad but was still it if the ordinary.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Storm Eunice on a par with the storm of 1987! on 18:43 - Feb 16 with 1558 viewswitchdoctor

Storm Eunice on a par with the storm of 1987! on 18:19 - Feb 16 by Nthsuffolkblue

A very interesting experience, especially hiking back to Woodbridge amongst the devastation in the morning.

poor old biscuit got blown all the way to Ufford…lost an ear as well…
Storm Eunice on a par with the storm of 1987! on 18:49 - Feb 16 with 1542 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Storm Eunice on a par with the storm of 1987! on 18:19 - Feb 16 by Nthsuffolkblue

Wowsers, I'm amazed your tent was still there.

Storm Eunice on a par with the storm of 1987! on 18:52 - Feb 16 with 1535 viewsjeera

Storm Eunice on a par with the storm of 1987! on 13:15 - Feb 16 by Fixed_It

Rendlesham Forest reduced to matchsticks overnight as I recall.

My poor old dad's boat sank at Pin Mill.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Storm Eunice on a par with the storm of 1987! on 18:55 - Feb 16 with 1528 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Storm Eunice on a par with the storm of 1987! on 18:49 - Feb 16 by The_Flashing_Smile

Wowsers, I'm amazed your tent was still there.

The ridge pole snapped in two. Everyone else's tents blew away. They all sheltered in the minibus while the chap I was in the tent with held the ridge pole up and I went back to sleep. Looking at the big oak tree in the corner of the field swaying and shedding branches was a bit worrying but the minibus was full by the time we woke up!

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Storm Eunice on a par with the storm of 1987! on 19:03 - Feb 16 with 1504 viewslongtimefan

Storm Eunice on a par with the storm of 1987! on 18:52 - Feb 16 by jeera

My poor old dad's boat sank at Pin Mill.

Doesn’t sound poor if he had a boat moored at Pin Mill
Storm Eunice on a par with the storm of 1987! on 19:05 - Feb 16 with 1502 viewsjeera

Storm Eunice on a par with the storm of 1987! on 19:03 - Feb 16 by longtimefan

Doesn’t sound poor if he had a boat moored at Pin Mill

He looked so unhappy when we drove over the next day to have a look.

You could just make out its roof under water.

Storm Eunice on a par with the storm of 1987! on 19:06 - Feb 16 with 1491 viewsstonojnr

Storm Eunice on a par with the storm of 1987! on 14:38 - Feb 16 by The_Flashing_Smile

it had passed over us by early morning, it was worst around 2-3am iirc, still abit windy obviously by morning and debris was an issue and danger, but it wasnt the "hurricane" force wind by then at all, I remember walking with my Dad to his workplace down near Portman road, as he didnt fancy riding his motorbike that day, and we had nothing else to do with the schools shut, so remember walking past the collapsed bus depot and lots of tree branches on pavements and stuff but it felt totally safe.

weirdest thing was bumping into our headmaster walking the other way and sort of nodding to each other in recognition as if it were perfectly normal, only time I think I ever saw him out of school.

but that 87 storm the winds were gusting 120mph for several hours and sustained wind of 100mph, and thats without the worst data captured as loss of power meant they didnt record all of it. The Met Office arent forecasting gusts above 70mph for this....yet.

and I do remember going up to Rendlesham forest not long after the 87 storm and its difficult to describe to people that you basically had a very large forest with lots of very large trees about beforehand and then basically you didnt anymore, it was all gone, a quite literal not a tree left standing. there were just piles of logs left instead, slowly being cut into pieces to take away. kind of remarkable also how quickly the forest has recovered, though I dont think its still as dense a forest as it was being kept back then.
Storm Eunice on a par with the storm of 1987! on 19:14 - Feb 16 with 1474 viewsChondzoresk

Yes, I have a funeral to attend at 2.30 in South Norfolk. Not great fun.
Storm Eunice on a par with the storm of 1987! on 19:28 - Feb 16 with 1430 viewsFreddies_Ears

Storm Eunice on a par with the storm of 1987! on 18:41 - Feb 16 by Steve_M

My Dad has pictures of Christchurch Park shortly afterwards; it was a mess.

There was another really big storm in 89/90 which wasn’t as bad but was still it if the ordinary.

The January 1990 (90A) storm would have done as much, or even more, damage than 87J, except that 87J cleared out anything ready to fall over. These were the worst storms in the UK since December 1703 (which, itself, is thought to have been the worst for 500 years, though how this is known....).
Storm Eunice on a par with the storm of 1987! on 19:30 - Feb 16 with 1415 viewsjeera

Storm Eunice on a par with the storm of 1987! on 19:28 - Feb 16 by Freddies_Ears

The January 1990 (90A) storm would have done as much, or even more, damage than 87J, except that 87J cleared out anything ready to fall over. These were the worst storms in the UK since December 1703 (which, itself, is thought to have been the worst for 500 years, though how this is known....).

"though how this is known....)."

Facters.

Storm Eunice on a par with the storm of 1987! on 19:36 - Feb 16 with 1398 viewswitchdoctor

Storm Eunice on a par with the storm of 1987! on 18:43 - Feb 16 by witchdoctor

poor old biscuit got blown all the way to Ufford…lost an ear as well…

https://youtube.com/watch?v=6-7hcPXwpBQ&feature=share
Storm Eunice on a par with the storm of 1987! on 20:50 - Feb 16 with 1289 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Storm Eunice on a par with the storm of 1987! on 19:06 - Feb 16 by stonojnr

it had passed over us by early morning, it was worst around 2-3am iirc, still abit windy obviously by morning and debris was an issue and danger, but it wasnt the "hurricane" force wind by then at all, I remember walking with my Dad to his workplace down near Portman road, as he didnt fancy riding his motorbike that day, and we had nothing else to do with the schools shut, so remember walking past the collapsed bus depot and lots of tree branches on pavements and stuff but it felt totally safe.

weirdest thing was bumping into our headmaster walking the other way and sort of nodding to each other in recognition as if it were perfectly normal, only time I think I ever saw him out of school.

but that 87 storm the winds were gusting 120mph for several hours and sustained wind of 100mph, and thats without the worst data captured as loss of power meant they didnt record all of it. The Met Office arent forecasting gusts above 70mph for this....yet.

and I do remember going up to Rendlesham forest not long after the 87 storm and its difficult to describe to people that you basically had a very large forest with lots of very large trees about beforehand and then basically you didnt anymore, it was all gone, a quite literal not a tree left standing. there were just piles of logs left instead, slowly being cut into pieces to take away. kind of remarkable also how quickly the forest has recovered, though I dont think its still as dense a forest as it was being kept back then.

From memory, I was a hero who battled through a hurricane, risking life and limb, to bring people their morning papers. Don't take that away from me.

Storm Eunice on a par with the storm of 1987! on 22:34 - Feb 16 with 1186 viewsgiant_stow

Storm Eunice on a par with the storm of 1987! on 20:50 - Feb 16 by The_Flashing_Smile

From memory, I was a hero who battled through a hurricane, risking life and limb, to bring people their morning papers. Don't take that away from me.

This is my mate Vince on the front of the Islington Gazette:

Edit- you can't really see him but you can tell he's from Islington because of the white trainers.
[Post edited 16 Feb 2022 22:37]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024