Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
End-game to the Russia situation 15:40 - Feb 27 with 4616 viewsThisIsMyUsername

How real is the chance of this ending in complete nuclear armageddon? Or will the West/NATO/Putin himself/Putin's Generals prevent it from going that far? *

Just wondering as I'm trying to make some plans for the future and would like to have all the relevant information.

* Serious questions; not being at all flippant.

Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

End-game to the Russia situation on 08:22 - Feb 28 with 793 viewsWeWereZombies

End-game to the Russia situation on 08:19 - Feb 28 by lowhouseblue

all games, including military stand offs, involve trying to model your opponent's responses. presenting your self as mad, as beyond any conventional notions of legitimate response, is therefore a great way of screwing with your opponent's calculations. but they need to believe that you really are mad not just pretending.

Well Ben Wallace has just taken the first step on going toe to toe with Putin...

'Russia's President Putin announced his nuclear forces are on high alert to remind the world he has a deterrent and to distract from what's going wrong in Ukraine, the UK's defence secretary says.

Ben Wallace told BBC Breakfast Putin's actions have been condemned by the international community.

"He can't miss the fact that his only best friend at the moment seems to be the President of Belarus... he must realise he's definitely on the wrong side of history here," he says.

He says the UK does not see anything that is a change in Russia's nuclear posture.

He says Britain is also a nuclear power and Putin will know anything involving a nuclear weapon has an equal or greater response from the West.

He says the UK will not do anything to escalate the nuclear situation but "this is a battle of rhetoric and we just have to make sure we manage it properly".'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-europe-60542877

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

End-game to the Russia situation on 08:25 - Feb 28 with 775 viewsgiant_stow

all games, including military stand offs, involve trying to model your opponent's responses. presenting your self as mad, as beyond any conventional notions of legitimate response, is therefore a great way of screwing with your opponent's calculations. but they need to believe that you really are mad not just pretending.

He seems to be doing a good job on coming over as mad.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

End-game to the Russia situation on 08:26 - Feb 28 with 769 viewsGlasgowBlue

End-game to the Russia situation on 15:43 - Feb 27 by ThisIsMyUsername

Because if I won't be alive in 5 years there's no point trying to think too far ahead. Obvious I'd have thought.

“ Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans.” — John Lennon.

In other words. Just get in with things and try not to worry about what May or may not happen.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

End-game to the Russia situation on 08:26 - Feb 28 with 770 viewshype313

Yep, its one big game of poker.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

End-game to the Russia situation on 08:27 - Feb 28 with 758 viewslowhouseblue

End-game to the Russia situation on 08:22 - Feb 28 by WeWereZombies

Well Ben Wallace has just taken the first step on going toe to toe with Putin...

'Russia's President Putin announced his nuclear forces are on high alert to remind the world he has a deterrent and to distract from what's going wrong in Ukraine, the UK's defence secretary says.

Ben Wallace told BBC Breakfast Putin's actions have been condemned by the international community.

"He can't miss the fact that his only best friend at the moment seems to be the President of Belarus... he must realise he's definitely on the wrong side of history here," he says.

He says the UK does not see anything that is a change in Russia's nuclear posture.

He says Britain is also a nuclear power and Putin will know anything involving a nuclear weapon has an equal or greater response from the West.

He says the UK will not do anything to escalate the nuclear situation but "this is a battle of rhetoric and we just have to make sure we manage it properly".'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-europe-60542877

so he thinks putin's madness is a bluff.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

End-game to the Russia situation on 08:30 - Feb 28 with 747 viewsBLUEBEAT

End-game to the Russia situation on 19:12 - Feb 27 by Swansea_Blue

It was all a bit scary wasn’t it? I remember as a child being cornered by a CND type on holiday once and being subjected to all their leaflets and booklets about what total annihilation looked like. It scared me witless for ages. They were incredibly graphic. It still gives me the shivers now. It definitely took the edge off my holiday!

Haha same.

When The Wind Blows also still haunts me.

And seeing Fourth Protocol around the same time also freaked me out (Bentwaters).

I now live near Mildenhall/Lakenheath.

Happy days.

Poll: W or W

End-game to the Russia situation on 10:19 - Feb 28 with 676 viewsRyorry

End-game to the Russia situation on 08:15 - Feb 28 by ElephantintheRoom

Ahem. I think the first step might be for Russia to use more serious weapons and attitude to the good folk of Ukraine

Today’s keyboard warriors probably don’t realise but in the 50s and 60s nuclear bombers were flying from and over Suffolk to the edge of Russian airspace on 24 hour rotation. Other than scattering a few nuclear bombs over Spain nothing much happened then - and nothing will now.

Also have a vague recollection of reading somewhere that cargoes of nuclear stuff (whether waste, warheads or both I can't remember) were regularly transported through Leeds railway station.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

End-game to the Russia situation on 10:27 - Feb 28 with 652 viewsRyorry

Scary guest on Nicky Campbell's R5l phone in just now was saying he has senior psychologist friend who describes Putin currently as bring in 'crazed assassin end-game' state.

As for 'safest place', I'm in the "better to be right next door to a main target" school of thought & know nowt about it. The aftermath wouldn't do peoples' mental health much good, even if they manage to survive for a while.

Login to get fewer ads

End-game to the Russia situation on 11:10 - Feb 28 with 604 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

End-game to the Russia situation on 10:27 - Feb 28 by Ryorry

Scary guest on Nicky Campbell's R5l phone in just now was saying he has senior psychologist friend who describes Putin currently as bring in 'crazed assassin end-game' state.

As for 'safest place', I'm in the "better to be right next door to a main target" school of thought & know nowt about it. The aftermath wouldn't do peoples' mental health much good, even if they manage to survive for a while.

I doubt a psychologist could make all that reliable an assessment by watching someone on the news.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

End-game to the Russia situation on 12:31 - Feb 28 with 550 viewsRyorry

End-game to the Russia situation on 11:10 - Feb 28 by The_Flashing_Smile

I doubt a psychologist could make all that reliable an assessment by watching someone on the news.

Pretty sure it was more than that, but you'd have to ask him, he's on twitter -@NickyAACampbell

End-game to the Russia situation on 12:45 - Feb 28 with 530 viewsChurchman

End-game to the Russia situation on 10:27 - Feb 28 by Ryorry

Today’s most daft, useless piece of information: I own Nicky Campbell’s old cat basket.

Back to horrible reality I doubt anyone knows Putin’s state of mind, even in Russia, let alone a bloke watching him on the tele.

Thinking of the title of this thread, the thing that I’m wondering is what happens after the Ukraine situation is resolved, whether it’s Russia backing off or Ukraine accepting what Russia wants? Will the west work together to neutralise Putin’s obvious ambitions continue or will their be a quiet rush to return things to ‘normal’ and appease?

Will the need for cheap gas/oil override everything etc etc? Has Putin’s madness in doing this changed everything? Lots of questions, no answers.
End-game to the Russia situation on 12:52 - Feb 28 with 505 viewsWeWereZombies

End-game to the Russia situation on 12:45 - Feb 28 by Churchman

Today’s most daft, useless piece of information: I own Nicky Campbell’s old cat basket.

Back to horrible reality I doubt anyone knows Putin’s state of mind, even in Russia, let alone a bloke watching him on the tele.

Thinking of the title of this thread, the thing that I’m wondering is what happens after the Ukraine situation is resolved, whether it’s Russia backing off or Ukraine accepting what Russia wants? Will the west work together to neutralise Putin’s obvious ambitions continue or will their be a quiet rush to return things to ‘normal’ and appease?

Will the need for cheap gas/oil override everything etc etc? Has Putin’s madness in doing this changed everything? Lots of questions, no answers.

OK, challenge accepted - many years ago I bought some second hand storage heaters from Tom Sharpe, author of 'Porterhouse Blue' and the 'Wilt' series of comic novels...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

End-game to the Russia situation on 13:06 - Feb 28 with 489 viewsChurchman

End-game to the Russia situation on 12:52 - Feb 28 by WeWereZombies

OK, challenge accepted - many years ago I bought some second hand storage heaters from Tom Sharpe, author of 'Porterhouse Blue' and the 'Wilt' series of comic novels...

Now that’s impressive!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024