Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Without looking it up; Who were the last non top flight team to win the FA Cup? 21:57 - Mar 20 with 1855 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

I couldn’t believe how long it had been. Considering everyone says PL clubs haven’t really taken it too seriously the last ten years or so it’s interesting to note which sides make up most of our finals.

Liverpool, Chelsea and City, 3 of the final 4 standing. League cup final, Liverpool v Chelsea.

Parity is so dead in English football.
[Post edited 20 Mar 2022 22:01]
Without looking it up; Who were the last non top flight team to win the FA Cup? on 22:02 - Mar 20 with 1790 viewsTrumptonBlue

West Ham 1980?
Without looking it up; Who were the last non top flight team to win the FA Cup? on 22:04 - Mar 20 with 1779 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Without looking it up; Who were the last non top flight team to win the FA Cup? on 22:02 - Mar 20 by TrumptonBlue

West Ham 1980?

Yup, fair play if you got that without researching. I wouldn’t have got it all night. I know Millwall made a final fairly recently and there were some final with teams like Wigan in but I guess they were PL at the time.
Without looking it up; Who were the last non top flight team to win the FA Cup? on 22:07 - Mar 20 with 1764 viewsquirkie

That was easy, I can remember all the FA Cup final results from about 1973 to 1990, after that I can only remember the odd few.

The FA have utterly ruined the tournament, having the SFs at Wembley is a joke for starters. Having rounds played mid week, no replays etc.

Poll: How long will we be in League One/League Two from next season?

Without looking it up; Who were the last non top flight team to win the FA Cup? on 22:24 - Mar 20 with 1688 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Without looking it up; Who were the last non top flight team to win the FA Cup? on 22:07 - Mar 20 by quirkie

That was easy, I can remember all the FA Cup final results from about 1973 to 1990, after that I can only remember the odd few.

The FA have utterly ruined the tournament, having the SFs at Wembley is a joke for starters. Having rounds played mid week, no replays etc.

Best final you can remember? I guess for my generation was Liverpool West Ham.
Without looking it up; Who were the last non top flight team to win the FA Cup? on 22:40 - Mar 20 with 1618 viewsRadlett_blue

While the big clubs often play weakened teams, so do most of their opponents & the big boys' reserves are better than the oppositions.Replays were always going to go in an increasingly crowded fixture list. The status of the FA Cup now is what the League Cup used to be like in the 1970s & 1980s - nice to win, but a secondary pot.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Without looking it up; Who were the last non top flight team to win the FA Cup? on 22:43 - Mar 20 with 1609 viewshoppy

Without looking it up; Who were the last non top flight team to win the FA Cup? on 22:40 - Mar 20 by Radlett_blue

While the big clubs often play weakened teams, so do most of their opponents & the big boys' reserves are better than the oppositions.Replays were always going to go in an increasingly crowded fixture list. The status of the FA Cup now is what the League Cup used to be like in the 1970s & 1980s - nice to win, but a secondary pot.

But still one that Norwich have never won, so it’s still got something about it!

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Without looking it up; Who were the last non top flight team to win the FA Cup? on 22:56 - Mar 20 with 1594 viewsPablo_Counago

'Parity is so dead in English football'

I dont think that England have any where near as big a problem with parity in their leagues that the other European leagues do.

*cough* Bayern Munich *cough*
Without looking it up; Who were the last non top flight team to win the FA Cup? on 00:36 - Mar 21 with 1467 viewsgainsboroughblue

Without looking it up; Who were the last non top flight team to win the FA Cup? on 22:24 - Mar 20 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Best final you can remember? I guess for my generation was Liverpool West Ham.

Struggling to think of one better before that and I haven't seen many since. The 1981 replay between Spurs and Man City was pretty good but I was 8 years old and maybe the frequently replayed Ricky Villa goal made it seem better than it actually was.

Coventry v Spurs 87? Quite a seesaw game but can't remember it being that high on quality.

Edit. 1990 was a bit of a belter. Palace v United 3-3. After two classic semi finals as well. The final replay was a bit dreary though.
[Post edited 21 Mar 2022 0:38]

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Login to get fewer ads

Without looking it up; Who were the last non top flight team to win the FA Cup? on 00:38 - Mar 21 with 1452 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Without looking it up; Who were the last non top flight team to win the FA Cup? on 00:36 - Mar 21 by gainsboroughblue

Struggling to think of one better before that and I haven't seen many since. The 1981 replay between Spurs and Man City was pretty good but I was 8 years old and maybe the frequently replayed Ricky Villa goal made it seem better than it actually was.

Coventry v Spurs 87? Quite a seesaw game but can't remember it being that high on quality.

Edit. 1990 was a bit of a belter. Palace v United 3-3. After two classic semi finals as well. The final replay was a bit dreary though.
[Post edited 21 Mar 2022 0:38]

Were the replays at Wembley back then?

Ah yes the old Spurs and the years end in 1. Haven’t been on here in 18 months nice to see a decent posters like yourself is still here. Some other regulars seem to have gone. I hope you’re well!
[Post edited 21 Mar 2022 0:39]
Without looking it up; Who were the last non top flight team to win the FA Cup? on 00:45 - Mar 21 with 1429 viewsgainsboroughblue

Without looking it up; Who were the last non top flight team to win the FA Cup? on 00:38 - Mar 21 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Ah yes the old Spurs and the years end in 1. Haven’t been on here in 18 months nice to see a decent posters like yourself is still here. Some other regulars seem to have gone. I hope you’re well!

They were. I think 1990 may have been the last season that Villa Park/Highbury/Hillsborough etc were used regularly for semi-finals though. The next year, Gazza did his wonder strike v Arse at Wembley in the semi.

Yeah, all good ta. Good to see you back. I was actually having a little look through my posting history (only goes back as far as 2017 on here now) and yeah, a lot of names on the threads missing these days. One or two have sadly departed us too in recent times too.

Without looking it up; Who were the last non top flight team to win the FA Cup? on 00:53 - Mar 21 with 1410 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Without looking it up; Who were the last non top flight team to win the FA Cup? on 00:45 - Mar 21 by gainsboroughblue

They were. I think 1990 may have been the last season that Villa Park/Highbury/Hillsborough etc were used regularly for semi-finals though. The next year, Gazza did his wonder strike v Arse at Wembley in the semi.

Yeah, all good ta. Good to see you back. I was actually having a little look through my posting history (only goes back as far as 2017 on here now) and yeah, a lot of names on the threads missing these days. One or two have sadly departed us too in recent times too.

That’s sad a few have departed.

Glad you’re doing well. I assume I’ll be as popular around here as ever lol!

Going through old posts is quite nostalgic and an interesting indicator of where you were in life at the time. I miss my old mate Moodybloo (who I was good mates with in person) can’t believe he left us when he did must be over 10 years now. I stopped posting regularly in 2018 I think. I’m really excited about Ipswich in the future though so hoping to be back a bit more. Being an Ipswich lad myself, it feels good to care again.
Without looking it up; Who were the last non top flight team to win the FA Cup? on 00:57 - Mar 21 with 1405 viewsgainsboroughblue

Without looking it up; Who were the last non top flight team to win the FA Cup? on 00:53 - Mar 21 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

That’s sad a few have departed.

Glad you’re doing well. I assume I’ll be as popular around here as ever lol!

Going through old posts is quite nostalgic and an interesting indicator of where you were in life at the time. I miss my old mate Moodybloo (who I was good mates with in person) can’t believe he left us when he did must be over 10 years now. I stopped posting regularly in 2018 I think. I’m really excited about Ipswich in the future though so hoping to be back a bit more. Being an Ipswich lad myself, it feels good to care again.

I think Dalai will be 10 years since this year. Crazy to think.

Without looking it up; Who were the last non top flight team to win the FA Cup? on 00:59 - Mar 21 with 1401 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Without looking it up; Who were the last non top flight team to win the FA Cup? on 00:57 - Mar 21 by gainsboroughblue

I think Dalai will be 10 years since this year. Crazy to think.

Perry sure I got the call the same weekend was I was the Stone Roses first gig back together. So probably 2011 summer but might be wrong.
Without looking it up; Who were the last non top flight team to win the FA Cup? on 01:31 - Mar 21 with 1376 viewsBlueBadger

Without looking it up; Who were the last non top flight team to win the FA Cup? on 22:43 - Mar 20 by hoppy

But still one that Norwich have never won, so it’s still got something about it!

Be fair, there's a fair few of those...

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Without looking it up; Who were the last non top flight team to win the FA Cup? on 08:22 - Mar 21 with 1101 viewsChurchman

Without looking it up; Who were the last non top flight team to win the FA Cup? on 00:38 - Mar 21 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

The last Final replay away from Wembley was the Leeds v Chelsea at Old Trafford in 1970. I recommend to anyone who wants to see a dirty game to watch it. I reckon that a game like that played in the modern era would have left the teams with two players each.

The most exciting finish to a Cup Final I’ve seen is Arsenal v Man United in 1979. Extraordinary.
Without looking it up; Who were the last non top flight team to win the FA Cup? on 09:05 - Mar 21 with 1020 viewsRadlett_blue

Without looking it up; Who were the last non top flight team to win the FA Cup? on 00:45 - Mar 21 by gainsboroughblue

Spurs - Arsenal in 1991 was the first semi final at Wembley & I guess there were good reasons for that, with 2 london clubs & no large, neutral ground in London. Next season, it went back to Hillsborough & Villa Park. Spurs played Arsenal at Wembley again in 1993 & the two Sheffields also met at Wembley, which I think wasn't the original idea but there was such a clamour for tickets. The next few years, there were sporadic uses of Wembley & club grounds, but when the new Wembley was built, it was clearly going to stage all the semi finals, largely to help pay off the FA's huge debts. The "Club Wembley" debentures were sold on this basis. Sadly, I don't think this is going to change as money talks & uyes, it devalues the final as playing at Wembley used to be a big deal. However, with all the play off finals & minor cup finals now at Wembley, I think that lustre has gone for good.

Without looking it up; Who were the last non top flight team to win the FA Cup? on 09:25 - Mar 21 with 983 viewsgainsboroughblue

Without looking it up; Who were the last non top flight team to win the FA Cup? on 09:05 - Mar 21 by Radlett_blue

Spurs - Arsenal in 1991 was the first semi final at Wembley & I guess there were good reasons for that, with 2 london clubs & no large, neutral ground in London. Next season, it went back to Hillsborough & Villa Park. Spurs played Arsenal at Wembley again in 1993 & the two Sheffields also met at Wembley, which I think wasn't the original idea but there was such a clamour for tickets. The next few years, there were sporadic uses of Wembley & club grounds, but when the new Wembley was built, it was clearly going to stage all the semi finals, largely to help pay off the FA's huge debts. The "Club Wembley" debentures were sold on this basis. Sadly, I don't think this is going to change as money talks & uyes, it devalues the final as playing at Wembley used to be a big deal. However, with all the play off finals & minor cup finals now at Wembley, I think that lustre has gone for good.

Yep It's why I said 'last time regularly used' because I can definitely remember that classic Chesterfield v Boro semi final being at Old Trafford and the Giggs wonder goal at Villa Park.

White Hart Lane was another ground I remember being used. Seemed to be, if the two clubs were big enough, the precedent had been set for Wembley to be used with that Spurs v Arsenal tie. Wembley should be for finals and England only imo.
[Post edited 21 Mar 2022 9:26]

Without looking it up; Who were the last non top flight team to win the FA Cup? on 09:33 - Mar 21 with 957 viewsBluesky

How is top flight defined? Premier league or top of premiership tsaking part in Europe? I think of Portsmouth
Without looking it up; Who were the last non top flight team to win the FA Cup? on 09:45 - Mar 21 with 906 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

They were used much later than that, I’m 37 and can remember semis being held at Villa Park, Old Trafford etc through my teenage years and beyond. And having had a look the Arsenal/Spurs one was a one off back then, presumably moved due to having 2 well supported London teams in it

By my reckoning it must only be in the last 10/15 years since the new Wembley was built that semis have been held there regularly

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Without looking it up; Who were the last non top flight team to win the FA Cup? on 09:57 - Mar 21 with 875 viewsgainsboroughblue

Without looking it up; Who were the last non top flight team to win the FA Cup? on 09:45 - Mar 21 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

They were used much later than that, I’m 37 and can remember semis being held at Villa Park, Old Trafford etc through my teenage years and beyond. And having had a look the Arsenal/Spurs one was a one off back then, presumably moved due to having 2 well supported London teams in it

By my reckoning it must only be in the last 10/15 years since the new Wembley was built that semis have been held there regularly

Of course. I've also forgotten that the Millenium at Cardiff was used for a few years while Wembley was being rebuilt.

Without looking it up; Who were the last non top flight team to win the FA Cup? on 10:06 - Mar 21 with 848 viewsclive_baker

Not sure it's Premier League clubs generally that haven't taken it seriously, just a few that have focussed on other priorities, namely Champions League and Premier League, because the stakes are so high in those competitions. Often when they've progressed to the later stages of the FA Cup they've then started taking it much more seriously, thus making it really tough for the others to get a look in from about 1/4 final stage onwards. Anyone outside the top few has always given the FA cup a lot of focus and there's still a big gap in quality between a Spurs, Palace, Villa etc and an upper Championship side. We did have Wigan win it, who were a Premier League side at the time but got relegated the same season.

I think there's been something of a revival among the top clubs, in part because supporters really value the FA Cup, and I think the regularity that sides change their manager has probably helped revive it too, given winning some silverware makes the case for staying on much stronger. I don't think it's a coincidence that the managers in the past who have devalued the FA cup were often very secure in their jobs. Ole and Arteta need an FA Cup far more than Fergie or Wenger did. Tuchel probably too having lost a couple of domestic finals at Chelski.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Without looking it up; Who were the last non top flight team to win the FA Cup? on 11:00 - Mar 21 with 758 viewsRadlett_blue

Without looking it up; Who were the last non top flight team to win the FA Cup? on 10:06 - Mar 21 by clive_baker

Not sure it's Premier League clubs generally that haven't taken it seriously, just a few that have focussed on other priorities, namely Champions League and Premier League, because the stakes are so high in those competitions. Often when they've progressed to the later stages of the FA Cup they've then started taking it much more seriously, thus making it really tough for the others to get a look in from about 1/4 final stage onwards. Anyone outside the top few has always given the FA cup a lot of focus and there's still a big gap in quality between a Spurs, Palace, Villa etc and an upper Championship side. We did have Wigan win it, who were a Premier League side at the time but got relegated the same season.

I think there's been something of a revival among the top clubs, in part because supporters really value the FA Cup, and I think the regularity that sides change their manager has probably helped revive it too, given winning some silverware makes the case for staying on much stronger. I don't think it's a coincidence that the managers in the past who have devalued the FA cup were often very secure in their jobs. Ole and Arteta need an FA Cup far more than Fergie or Wenger did. Tuchel probably too having lost a couple of domestic finals at Chelski.

Since 1992-93, when the PL started, out of 29 times, the FA Cup has been won 25 times by one of the acknowledged "big boys" or top 4 clubs. The outliers are Everton, Portsmouth, Wigan & Leicester. I think this has happened because the elite have such deeper squads that they usually breeze though the early rounds with their shadow squads, helped by other clubs oddly putting out weak sides as well. As you say, once they get to the last 8, they take it fairly seriously as the managers know how much fans like winning a Cup.

Without looking it up; Who were the last non top flight team to win the FA Cup? on 11:22 - Mar 21 with 730 viewsstonojnr

Without looking it up; Who were the last non top flight team to win the FA Cup? on 09:25 - Mar 21 by gainsboroughblue

Yep It's why I said 'last time regularly used' because I can definitely remember that classic Chesterfield v Boro semi final being at Old Trafford and the Giggs wonder goal at Villa Park.

White Hart Lane was another ground I remember being used. Seemed to be, if the two clubs were big enough, the precedent had been set for Wembley to be used with that Spurs v Arsenal tie. Wembley should be for finals and England only imo.
[Post edited 21 Mar 2022 9:26]

It wasnt really that kind of precedent setter, it was still an unusual choice and I imagine any other combination of clubs would have carried on being played at the normal SF ground choices,as they did afterwards for a few more years.

it really was more the pragmatic choice of wherever you were going to play that game would have involved both sets of fans travelling the same routes, taking the same trains to get there and neither group of fans would accept playing at any alternate club venue in London.

Really what was the point of sending both Spurs and Arsenal to say Liverpool to play a game that Wembley could host equally well and be better for travelling fans and authorities ability to cope

Blame it on a southern bias, but it's a choice that made a lot of sense at the times, and games did often shift venues to make it abit easier for fans to travel, and wasnt part of some clever scheme to devalue the sense of playing at Wembley.

New Wembley yes they consciously chose to play SF at Wembley to pay off the debts, which surely must mostly done 15 years later, but I doubt theyll stop doing it because none of the old grounds they used to use are as upto date anymore, even though Wembley could do with a refresh.
Without looking it up; Who were the last non top flight team to win the FA Cup? on 11:53 - Mar 21 with 668 viewsRadlett_blue

Without looking it up; Who were the last non top flight team to win the FA Cup? on 11:22 - Mar 21 by stonojnr

It wasnt really that kind of precedent setter, it was still an unusual choice and I imagine any other combination of clubs would have carried on being played at the normal SF ground choices,as they did afterwards for a few more years.

it really was more the pragmatic choice of wherever you were going to play that game would have involved both sets of fans travelling the same routes, taking the same trains to get there and neither group of fans would accept playing at any alternate club venue in London.

Really what was the point of sending both Spurs and Arsenal to say Liverpool to play a game that Wembley could host equally well and be better for travelling fans and authorities ability to cope

Blame it on a southern bias, but it's a choice that made a lot of sense at the times, and games did often shift venues to make it abit easier for fans to travel, and wasnt part of some clever scheme to devalue the sense of playing at Wembley.

New Wembley yes they consciously chose to play SF at Wembley to pay off the debts, which surely must mostly done 15 years later, but I doubt theyll stop doing it because none of the old grounds they used to use are as upto date anymore, even though Wembley could do with a refresh.

I agree that Wembley was the logical choice for the Spurs-Arsenal semi final, although I don't see why the fans wouldn't have accepted playing at Stamford Bridge, for example. Chelsea played Wimbledon (yes, small fan base) at Highbury in 1997. The FA have been happy to force fans from northern clubs to trek down to Wembley, although only really since Wembley semi finals became the norm.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024