Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lineker claim of best team achievement - greater than Town under Ramsey? 13:33 - Mar 22 with 1867 viewsmonty_radio

Lineker claims on MOtD Top 10 that because Leicester narrowly survived relegation in the preceding season their subsequent title the following year was "impossible" and without equal as a team achievement. Yet Town were bookies favourites to go down while Leicester contained more known entities among their squad than ever Ramsey's did - even after we won it, with the exception of Crawford

I wonder what the relative odds would have been at the start of the respective seasons?

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Lineker claim of best team achievement - greater than Town under Ramsey? on 14:05 - Mar 22 with 1716 viewsRadlett_blue

Hard to say. Town would have been rank outsiders as they were probably everyone's first choice to go down. However, then football wasn't dominated by a "big 4" or elite so I reckon they'd have been about 100-1.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Lineker claim of best team achievement - greater than Town under Ramsey? on 14:06 - Mar 22 with 1706 viewsBeckets

Forest did the same as us in the 1970s under Clough.
Lineker claim of best team achievement - greater than Town under Ramsey? on 14:07 - Mar 22 with 1702 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Football wasn’t invented until 1992.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Lineker claim of best team achievement - greater than Town under Ramsey? on 14:13 - Mar 22 with 1668 viewsChurchman

Lineker claim of best team achievement - greater than Town under Ramsey? on 14:06 - Mar 22 by Beckets

Forest did the same as us in the 1970s under Clough.

Not quite. Forest had been in the First Division before so it wasn’t their ‘first’ attempt. However, promotion and winning the top division the following season was some achievement and my goodness that Forest team were good.
Lineker claim of best team achievement - greater than Town under Ramsey? on 14:18 - Mar 22 with 1625 viewsBlueStreak

Leicester were 5000-1
Lineker claim of best team achievement - greater than Town under Ramsey? on 14:20 - Mar 22 with 1611 viewschicoazul

Related topic but our greatest achievement was without doubt the Lyall promotion, managed brilliantly with a bunch of weirdos no hopers youth players and rejects in the face of gigantic investment by Newcastle Blackburn and Derby.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Lineker claim of best team achievement - greater than Town under Ramsey? on 14:36 - Mar 22 with 1552 viewsstonojnr

I'm sure ýou realise Lineker is a Leicester fan, but he is hardly going to be an unbiased judge on this then.
Lineker claim of best team achievement - greater than Town under Ramsey? on 14:38 - Mar 22 with 1536 viewsbenrhyddingblue

Lineker claim of best team achievement - greater than Town under Ramsey? on 14:13 - Mar 22 by Churchman

Not quite. Forest had been in the First Division before so it wasn’t their ‘first’ attempt. However, promotion and winning the top division the following season was some achievement and my goodness that Forest team were good.

And then also winning the European Cup the following two seasons. Think that beats our achievement and Leicester City
Login to get fewer ads

Lineker claim of best team achievement - greater than Town under Ramsey? on 14:48 - Mar 22 with 1483 viewsVeggie

Norwich beating Bayern apparently
Lineker claim of best team achievement - greater than Town under Ramsey? on 14:55 - Mar 22 with 1447 viewsRadlett_blue

Lineker claim of best team achievement - greater than Town under Ramsey? on 14:20 - Mar 22 by chicoazul

Related topic but our greatest achievement was without doubt the Lyall promotion, managed brilliantly with a bunch of weirdos no hopers youth players and rejects in the face of gigantic investment by Newcastle Blackburn and Derby.

Don't really agree. Lyall benefited from Dozzell & Kiwomya coming through as top players at the right time, although some of his old players he signed (usually a mistake) like Whitton & Goddard were very effective.
[Post edited 23 Mar 2022 11:48]

Lineker claim of best team achievement - greater than Town under Ramsey? on 15:46 - Mar 22 with 1328 viewsmonty_radio

Lineker claim of best team achievement - greater than Town under Ramsey? on 14:20 - Mar 22 by chicoazul

I think maybe some of the younger posters aren't so familiar with that Town League winner backstory. While Notts Forest were more than 100 years in the league before they won it, Town had just got over the 20 season mark.

While Leicester boasted players from Man Utd, and from Villa, Stoke, Caen and Schalke only 4 players from that Town eleven had played at the top level before and three of those, Compton, Nelson and Leadbetter had, between them, clocked up the princely total 30 appearances in either Div 1 or 2. Only Roy Stephenson had any sort of substantial experience in the top tier before. Ramsey's achievement was, and will probably remain, unparalleled.
[Post edited 22 Mar 2022 15:47]

Lineker claim of best team achievement - greater than Town under Ramsey? on 16:00 - Mar 22 with 1289 viewsVic

Lineker claim of best team achievement - greater than Town under Ramsey? on 14:05 - Mar 22 by Radlett_blue

Hard to say. Town would have been rank outsiders as they were probably everyone's first choice to go down. However, then football wasn't dominated by a "big 4" or elite so I reckon they'd have been about 100-1.

You make a good point about the gulf between the top clubs and the rest of us. It really was very different in the early 60’s and even in the 70’s and 80’s when we were one of the elite. In those days you had Forest, Villa, Derby and us slugging it out with Liverpool, Leeds and Arsenal.

These days a few teams flirt around the nether regions of the top 6, but few do it consistently as teams like us 8n the past. Leicester have been a welcome exception.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Lineker claim of best team achievement - greater than Town under Ramsey? on 16:26 - Mar 22 with 1235 viewsVaughan8

This probably won't be popular but I agree with him.

The top 4 or 6 clubs and the differences in money is so huge now compared to years ago.

You could say Leicester got a bit "lucky" in that all the usual top teams were having a poor season by their standards. Wasn't that the season where Mourinho had Chelsea near the bottom are the start of the season?
Lineker claim of best team achievement - greater than Town under Ramsey? on 16:33 - Mar 22 with 1211 viewsmonty_radio

Lineker claim of best team achievement - greater than Town under Ramsey? on 16:26 - Mar 22 by Vaughan8

The top 4 or 6 clubs and the differences in money is so huge now compared to years ago.

You could say Leicester got a bit "lucky" in that all the usual top teams were having a poor season by their standards. Wasn't that the season where Mourinho had Chelsea near the bottom are the start of the season?

It's maybe all relative, but stll, little Leicester paid £5.6 million for N'Golo Kante. Relative to the Town of 61-62 that's caviar to chicken nuggets.

Lineker claim of best team achievement - greater than Town under Ramsey? on 16:35 - Mar 22 with 1207 viewsRadlett_blue

Lineker claim of best team achievement - greater than Town under Ramsey? on 16:26 - Mar 22 by Vaughan8

Yes, it was a perfect storm, with the usual suspects having poor seasons for a variety of reasons. Arsenal were 2nd with 71pts; normally, that wouldn't even get you in the top 4. They'd also lucked out by signing the exceptional Kante in the summer, while Mahrez also came good.

Lineker claim of best team achievement - greater than Town under Ramsey? on 17:14 - Mar 22 with 1147 viewsFtnfwest

Prior to winning the league they were already the 24th richest club in the world. So no.
Lineker claim of best team achievement - greater than Town under Ramsey? on 23:37 - Mar 22 with 837 viewsChurchman

Lineker claim of best team achievement - greater than Town under Ramsey? on 16:35 - Mar 22 by Radlett_blue

Yes, it was a perfect storm, with the usual suspects having poor seasons for a variety of reasons. Arsenal were 2nd with 71pts; normally, that wouldn't even get you in the top 4. They'd also lucked out by signing the exceptional Kante in the summer, while Mahrez also came good.

Like Villa in 81, they also had virtually no injuries that season. Vardy was exceptional too.

However, there achievement was very special.
Lineker claim of best team achievement - greater than Town under Ramsey? on 23:52 - Mar 22 with 819 viewsjeera

Lineker claim of best team achievement - greater than Town under Ramsey? on 14:13 - Mar 22 by Churchman

But they came up as 3rd whereas Town of course won Division 2 and then immediately won the league their first season up.

Has any other club done that?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Lineker claim of best team achievement - greater than Town under Ramsey? on 23:57 - Mar 22 with 811 viewsChurchman

Lineker claim of best team achievement - greater than Town under Ramsey? on 23:52 - Mar 22 by jeera

But they came up as 3rd whereas Town of course won Division 2 and then immediately won the league their first season up.

Has any other club done that?

Not that I know of. The club were only elected to the league in 38 and 5 years were promptly swallowed by the war. It was an astonishing achievement
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024