Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Not holding my breath but let’s hope today 06:39 - Mar 23 with 1601 viewssolomon

Our chancellor does the right thing and gives aid, comfort and relief to the many who are being squeezed by this cost of living crisis.

For the many and not the few has never been more important than it is now.
Not holding my breath but let’s hope today on 07:00 - Mar 23 with 1536 viewsBLUEGOLD

I think you’ll find that’s a Labour motto.

Don’t hold your breath for much today.
Not holding my breath but let’s hope today on 07:14 - Mar 23 with 1527 viewsbluelagos

Talk of a 5p reduction in fuel duty which will save an average £3.30 per tank.

Not sure that's going to cut it tbh.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Not holding my breath but let’s hope today on 07:51 - Mar 23 with 1473 viewssolomon

Not holding my breath but let’s hope today on 07:00 - Mar 23 by BLUEGOLD

I think you’ll find that’s a Labour motto.

Don’t hold your breath for much today.

Yes. I’m aware of that thanks. It’s still a valid motto with great importance to the many in society who have the least, give the most and receive the least in return.
Not holding my breath but let’s hope today on 08:15 - Mar 23 with 1422 viewsJakeITFC

Not holding my breath but let’s hope today on 07:14 - Mar 23 by bluelagos

Talk of a 5p reduction in fuel duty which will save an average £3.30 per tank.

Not sure that's going to cut it tbh.

I really hope he doesn’t do that - it would cost the government loads of money (£5bn I think I read), has very little material impact on the end user and obviously goes against the decarbonisation agenda.

A windfall tax on oil and gas majors seems like a much more sensible way to go, with proceeds going to help those who are or will be in fuel poverty very soon.
Not holding my breath but let’s hope today on 08:18 - Mar 23 with 1415 viewstractordownsouth

I hope I’m wrong but I’d be highly surprised. More likely it’ll be a year or two of people being plunged into poverty before a tax cut as a sweetener before the next election.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Not holding my breath but let’s hope today on 08:36 - Mar 23 with 1347 viewsGlasgowBlue

Not holding my breath but let’s hope today on 08:15 - Mar 23 by JakeITFC

I really hope he doesn’t do that - it would cost the government loads of money (£5bn I think I read), has very little material impact on the end user and obviously goes against the decarbonisation agenda.

A windfall tax on oil and gas majors seems like a much more sensible way to go, with proceeds going to help those who are or will be in fuel poverty very soon.

I believe you work in the energy industry, so you’ll be better informed than me on this, but I’m sure I read that this years profits will be offset against last years losses so there will be no windfall to tax?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Not holding my breath but let’s hope today on 09:17 - Mar 23 with 1279 viewsJakeITFC

Not holding my breath but let’s hope today on 08:36 - Mar 23 by GlasgowBlue

I believe you work in the energy industry, so you’ll be better informed than me on this, but I’m sure I read that this years profits will be offset against last years losses so there will be no windfall to tax?

Shell and BP (as examples) both made big 2021 profits still even with write-offs in 2020; increased capital expenditure plans and maintained or increased dividends.

Also worth noting that they're on course to have as good if not better years in 2022 as it stands.
Not holding my breath but let’s hope today on 09:53 - Mar 23 with 1211 viewsGlasgowBlue

Not holding my breath but let’s hope today on 09:17 - Mar 23 by JakeITFC

Shell and BP (as examples) both made big 2021 profits still even with write-offs in 2020; increased capital expenditure plans and maintained or increased dividends.

Also worth noting that they're on course to have as good if not better years in 2022 as it stands.

Thanks. I'm not a fan of 'windfall' taxes, but we are coming off the back of a pandemic where the government has spent unprecedented amounts of money to prop up the economy, people have lost their jobs and businesses plus the Ukraine situation is having an adverse effect on the world economy, so I think it would be appropriate in this instance to do so.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Login to get fewer ads

Not holding my breath but let’s hope today on 09:58 - Mar 23 with 1173 viewsJ2BLUE

I'm sure he will do something. It will be the bare minimum and make no difference whatsoever but it will be just enough for the Tories to mention every time they are challenged to get out of the question.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Not holding my breath but let’s hope today on 10:16 - Mar 23 with 1127 viewsVaughan8

I think there will be little bits but nothing major.

This won't be popular, but they've just given out all this money due to covid which we will be paying for years and years. What exactly can they do here which won't just put us into more and more debt?

I saw on the news that some cash and carry place wants fuel reduced by 10p a litre. I can't see that happening. imagine how much money they're gonna lose.

Hopefully there is something for the people really struggling like more benefits or something. I don't know! Its going to be some tough times.

I know people who have claimed the grants etc and carried on working as they were which isn't really what it was meant for. Also companies putting employees on furlough when they're still working so they can claim the 80% back from the govt. These are the people who should be targeted to get some money back in the kitty.
Not holding my breath but let’s hope today on 10:19 - Mar 23 with 1115 viewsJ2BLUE

Not holding my breath but let’s hope today on 10:16 - Mar 23 by Vaughan8

This won't be popular, but they've just given out all this money due to covid which we will be paying for years and years. What exactly can they do here which won't just put us into more and more debt?

I saw on the news that some cash and carry place wants fuel reduced by 10p a litre. I can't see that happening. imagine how much money they're gonna lose.

Hopefully there is something for the people really struggling like more benefits or something. I don't know! Its going to be some tough times.

I know people who have claimed the grants etc and carried on working as they were which isn't really what it was meant for. Also companies putting employees on furlough when they're still working so they can claim the 80% back from the govt. These are the people who should be targeted to get some money back in the kitty.

No issues with people on benefits getting enough money to actually live but really needs something for everyone else as well.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Not holding my breath but let’s hope today on 10:23 - Mar 23 with 1077 viewsJakeITFC

The thing is that this is just the start of it really - the downstream effect of higher fuel and energy prices etc. hasn't yet made it to the majority of industries due to the way these contracts work. The price of absolutely everything is going to skyrocket on the back of this, not just the household gas and electricity bill or filling up your car.

We really need to work out how we invest our way out of this rather than just blindly walking into a slump (and not fixing any of the underlying issues that caused it).
Not holding my breath but let’s hope today on 10:27 - Mar 23 with 1056 viewsVaughan8

Not holding my breath but let’s hope today on 10:19 - Mar 23 by J2BLUE

No issues with people on benefits getting enough money to actually live but really needs something for everyone else as well.

True. It only looks like its going to get worse and we will all be feeling the effects sooner rather than later.

Sunak seemed to be pleased with his £200 energy "Loan" whch personally seems a bit pointless to me so I'm not holding much hope for a lot.
Not holding my breath but let’s hope today on 10:53 - Mar 23 with 999 viewsFreddies_Ears

Not holding my breath but let’s hope today on 10:27 - Mar 23 by Vaughan8

True. It only looks like its going to get worse and we will all be feeling the effects sooner rather than later.

Sunak seemed to be pleased with his £200 energy "Loan" whch personally seems a bit pointless to me so I'm not holding much hope for a lot.

A simple start would be to standardise the government's tax take from fuel taxes. As the price goes up, so they make more from VAT. Holding VAT on fuel at a notional pricepoint of, say £1.20 per litre would knock around 10p off the price at the pump.
Not holding my breath but let’s hope today on 11:04 - Mar 23 with 991 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Not holding my breath but let’s hope today on 08:15 - Mar 23 by JakeITFC

A reduction in fuel price would be a better counter-inflationary measure as it also hits transport costs and will ultimately end up with the cost been passed on to the consumer.

How much would a windfall tax generate I’d be interested to know. Perhaps a temporary VAT axe on energy bills would help more? Either way something material has to be done - those on state pensions (including some of my family) are really struggling.
Not holding my breath but let’s hope today on 12:40 - Mar 23 with 903 viewsEdwardStone

Not holding my breath but let’s hope today on 10:27 - Mar 23 by Vaughan8

He always seems remarkably pleased with himself

A man of unlimited vanity and limited talent

"Dine Out to Spread it About"
Not holding my breath but let’s hope today on 13:12 - Mar 23 with 819 viewsJammyDodgerrr

I think really - we are at the point now where we shouldn't worry about the debt = it is massive and we really need to just get people through this with more support. The debt is so astronomical we aren't going to be paying it back anytime soon and peoples livelihoods should be the main concern.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Not holding my breath but let’s hope today on 13:20 - Mar 23 with 789 viewsXYZ

Not holding my breath but let’s hope today on 13:12 - Mar 23 by JammyDodgerrr

I think really - we are at the point now where we shouldn't worry about the debt = it is massive and we really need to just get people through this with more support. The debt is so astronomical we aren't going to be paying it back anytime soon and peoples livelihoods should be the main concern.

They paid for Covid by printing money from the magic money tree (>£400 bn), so we don't have to "pay it back".

National finances are not a household budget.
Not holding my breath but let’s hope today on 13:27 - Mar 23 with 744 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Not holding my breath but let’s hope today on 10:23 - Mar 23 by JakeITFC

The thing is that this is just the start of it really - the downstream effect of higher fuel and energy prices etc. hasn't yet made it to the majority of industries due to the way these contracts work. The price of absolutely everything is going to skyrocket on the back of this, not just the household gas and electricity bill or filling up your car.

We really need to work out how we invest our way out of this rather than just blindly walking into a slump (and not fixing any of the underlying issues that caused it).

Stocks and property prices are holding steady/rising so I'm sure everything must be fine.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Not holding my breath but let’s hope today on 13:29 - Mar 23 with 728 viewsBLUEGOLD

Not holding my breath but let’s hope today on 13:27 - Mar 23 by BanksterDebtSlave

Stocks and property prices are holding steady/rising so I'm sure everything must be fine.

Jam in 2 years time. Amazing news ffs
Not holding my breath but let’s hope today on 13:29 - Mar 23 with 730 viewsDarth_Koont

Not holding my breath but let’s hope today on 07:51 - Mar 23 by solomon

Yes. I’m aware of that thanks. It’s still a valid motto with great importance to the many in society who have the least, give the most and receive the least in return.

Very well said.

A society is only as strong as its weakest, most disadvantaged citizens. So it’s awful how successive governments and politicians of all stripes are largely content to ignore that (little to gain electorally?) and jeopardise our future in the process.

Not to mention the sheer human cost and misery, where millions of children are the greatest victims of all.

Pronouns: He/Him

Not holding my breath but let’s hope today on 13:36 - Mar 23 with 706 viewsBLUEGOLD

Not holding my breath but let’s hope today on 13:29 - Mar 23 by Darth_Koont

Very well said.

A society is only as strong as its weakest, most disadvantaged citizens. So it’s awful how successive governments and politicians of all stripes are largely content to ignore that (little to gain electorally?) and jeopardise our future in the process.

Not to mention the sheer human cost and misery, where millions of children are the greatest victims of all.

I know that. My point is don’t expect the Tories to do that.
Not holding my breath but let’s hope today on 13:40 - Mar 23 with 686 viewsDarth_Koont

Not holding my breath but let’s hope today on 13:36 - Mar 23 by BLUEGOLD

I know that. My point is don’t expect the Tories to do that.

Sure, I get that.

And FWIW, I don’t expect anyone to do anything about it. Apart from wring their hands and make the right noises until we can be distracted by something else.

It’s scandalous what is considered acceptable or even normal in 2022.

Not holding my breath but let’s hope today on 13:43 - Mar 23 with 671 viewsDarth_Koont

Not holding my breath but let’s hope today on 13:27 - Mar 23 by BanksterDebtSlave

Exactly. A home, high disposable income and savings will trickle down to those most in need if they just wait long enough.

The problem with today’s poor is they want everything now, now, now.

Not holding my breath but let’s hope today on 13:45 - Mar 23 with 656 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Not holding my breath but let’s hope today on 13:20 - Mar 23 by XYZ

They paid for Covid by printing money from the magic money tree (>£400 bn), so we don't have to "pay it back".

National finances are not a household budget.

A large part of that 400 billion has sloshed its way into the pockets of the mega rich. Now they have nothing to do with it except inflate stock and commodity prices and hoard property and land...we are all being royally screwed.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024