Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Oliver Dowden getting upset at Labour and Lib Dems working together 23:25 - Apr 30 with 5676 viewsElderGrizzly

To defeat Tory candidates this week

The perfect response too of course

Oliver Dowden getting upset at Labour and Lib Dems working together on 18:13 - May 1 with 985 viewsmutters

Oliver Dowden getting upset at Labour and Lib Dems working together on 17:09 - May 1 by BlueLikeJazz

sorry, not having that, the lies, disregard for due process and the rule of law, and outright corruption from this government are off the scale. Not everyone does it, and not all politicians are the same.

No, I agree not all politicians do spin, or smear, that is not what I commented. However, spin/points scoring is a key tactic as we all know. Politicians have a canny knack for not answering the question, they all do it. Remember Alistair Campbell, Tony Blairs Spin Doctor? He was a master at it.

Don't be blinded by the immense cr@pness of this government to think all other parties are holier-than-thou.

Poll: At what price would you sell our 32 year old Leading Scorer Murphy this summer?

Oliver Dowden getting upset at Labour and Lib Dems working together on 18:23 - May 1 with 971 viewslongtimefan

Oliver Dowden getting upset at Labour and Lib Dems working together on 18:13 - May 1 by mutters

No, I agree not all politicians do spin, or smear, that is not what I commented. However, spin/points scoring is a key tactic as we all know. Politicians have a canny knack for not answering the question, they all do it. Remember Alistair Campbell, Tony Blairs Spin Doctor? He was a master at it.

Don't be blinded by the immense cr@pness of this government to think all other parties are holier-than-thou.

“Don't be blinded by the immense cr@pness of this government to think all other parties are holier-than-thou.”

Well the current bunch in power certainly take the biscuit in terms of corruption, spin and smear but yes, my motto has always been never trust a politician further than you throw them, and I have particularly low upper body strength.
Oliver Dowden getting upset at Labour and Lib Dems working together on 18:28 - May 1 with 968 viewsHARRY10

Oliver Dowden getting upset at Labour and Lib Dems working together on 16:02 - May 1 by Reusers_Tash

Don’t have a dog in this fight really as I now live full time in the US but politics aside isn’t what Lab n Libs are doing illegal under the elections act / bill? There always seems to rightly be a lot of criticism when Con MP’s break rules so surely hypocrisy in not criticising KS and the Dems for breaking the law whether you agree with the law or not?
[Post edited 1 May 2022 16:03]

You do seem rather seem confused

What electoral Bill, do you know what a Bill actually is ?

What Act might it be ?

I appreciate righties aren't too keen on democracy as the attempts to prorogue Parliament, and the attempt to block the lawful Parliamentary process (defeated by the judiciary) demonstrate, but whinging about other political partys agreeing to work together for the common good does smack of sour grapes.

However, you could always fall back on the 'good old days'. Burn down the Parliamentary buildings, break the shop windows of those there furriners.
Oliver Dowden getting upset at Labour and Lib Dems working together on 18:31 - May 1 with 966 viewsXYZ

Oliver Dowden getting upset at Labour and Lib Dems working together on 18:13 - May 1 by mutters

Who made the claim that "all other parties are holier-than-thou"? I haven't seen that comment.

What's the motivation to deflect from the outright corruption and blatant contempt for the rule of law and the UK's constitution of this government and the tory party?

I believe you'd have to go back to the mid-19th century to find anything remotely close to be, even arguably, a close comparison.

Blair didn't invent spin doctors. Thatcher and Wilson were both equally active in that game (Major and Callaghan weren't around long enough, and, if they tried it didn't work out too well for either).

Equating Wilson, Thatcher or Blair's message-management activities to what this lot are up to just raises questions about the motivation and patriotism of the person making the comment IMO.
Oliver Dowden getting upset at Labour and Lib Dems working together on 19:06 - May 1 with 946 viewsmutters

Oliver Dowden getting upset at Labour and Lib Dems working together on 18:31 - May 1 by XYZ

Who made the claim that "all other parties are holier-than-thou"? I haven't seen that comment.

What's the motivation to deflect from the outright corruption and blatant contempt for the rule of law and the UK's constitution of this government and the tory party?

I believe you'd have to go back to the mid-19th century to find anything remotely close to be, even arguably, a close comparison.

Blair didn't invent spin doctors. Thatcher and Wilson were both equally active in that game (Major and Callaghan weren't around long enough, and, if they tried it didn't work out too well for either).

Equating Wilson, Thatcher or Blair's message-management activities to what this lot are up to just raises questions about the motivation and patriotism of the person making the comment IMO.

Well.... your original response to my comment that all parties spin/smear was to reply that "sorry, not having that" which seems to indicate that you were in disagreement with my statement. Followed up with going in hard on the current government reinforced the impression that only they spin/smear.

Text conversations are often misconstrued, words are powerful things until they are misunderstood.

The thing I know that we agree on is that this government is fooking shocking.

Poll: At what price would you sell our 32 year old Leading Scorer Murphy this summer?

Oliver Dowden getting upset at Labour and Lib Dems working together on 19:13 - May 1 with 938 viewsReusers_Tash

Oliver Dowden getting upset at Labour and Lib Dems working together on 18:28 - May 1 by HARRY10

You do seem rather seem confused

What electoral Bill, do you know what a Bill actually is ?

What Act might it be ?

I appreciate righties aren't too keen on democracy as the attempts to prorogue Parliament, and the attempt to block the lawful Parliamentary process (defeated by the judiciary) demonstrate, but whinging about other political partys agreeing to work together for the common good does smack of sour grapes.

However, you could always fall back on the 'good old days'. Burn down the Parliamentary buildings, break the shop windows of those there furriners.

Well that was quite a display of going off of the cliff and inferring an awful lot about a person you have never met and only said both sides should be prepared to level criticism at their party on the basis that something is wrong.
I’m sorry my distance and indeed time difference mean it’s more difficult to be precise. It was what is as it stands today either the Elections Bill or Elections Act 2022 depending on whether it has Royal Ascent or otherwise. Kinda splitting hairs unless the Queen is going to break with all tradition and refuse to sign this into law.
I’m guessing the issue is whether co-ordinated collaboration falls under the section regarding the sharing or combining of resources. But hey just carry on with the shouting people down who you disagree with.
Oliver Dowden getting upset at Labour and Lib Dems working together on 19:17 - May 1 with 931 viewsXYZ

Oliver Dowden getting upset at Labour and Lib Dems working together on 19:06 - May 1 by mutters

Well.... your original response to my comment that all parties spin/smear was to reply that "sorry, not having that" which seems to indicate that you were in disagreement with my statement. Followed up with going in hard on the current government reinforced the impression that only they spin/smear.

Text conversations are often misconstrued, words are powerful things until they are misunderstood.

The thing I know that we agree on is that this government is fooking shocking.

You're mistaking me for someone else, I think - the above was my only direct response to you in this thread.

I think the "they're all as bad as each other" type of comment (which I appreciate you feel a bit short of) can only be made, with reference to the current tory party, by those who wish to collude in seriously (and permanently) damaging the UK.
Oliver Dowden getting upset at Labour and Lib Dems working together on 19:20 - May 1 with 925 viewsBlueLikeJazz

Oliver Dowden getting upset at Labour and Lib Dems working together on 19:13 - May 1 by Reusers_Tash

Well that was quite a display of going off of the cliff and inferring an awful lot about a person you have never met and only said both sides should be prepared to level criticism at their party on the basis that something is wrong.
I’m sorry my distance and indeed time difference mean it’s more difficult to be precise. It was what is as it stands today either the Elections Bill or Elections Act 2022 depending on whether it has Royal Ascent or otherwise. Kinda splitting hairs unless the Queen is going to break with all tradition and refuse to sign this into law.
I’m guessing the issue is whether co-ordinated collaboration falls under the section regarding the sharing or combining of resources. But hey just carry on with the shouting people down who you disagree with.

"I’m guessing the issue is whether co-ordinated collaboration falls under the section regarding the sharing or combining of resources. But hey just carry on with the shouting people down who you disagree with. "

There is no issue. It is not illegal, not under the elections Bill, the elections Act 2022, or anything else. If you didn't believe me when I pointed this out to you earlier, 5 minutes of googling would have made this clear.
[Post edited 1 May 2022 19:22]
Login to get fewer ads

Oliver Dowden getting upset at Labour and Lib Dems working together on 19:25 - May 1 with 912 viewsReusers_Tash

Oliver Dowden getting upset at Labour and Lib Dems working together on 19:20 - May 1 by BlueLikeJazz

"I’m guessing the issue is whether co-ordinated collaboration falls under the section regarding the sharing or combining of resources. But hey just carry on with the shouting people down who you disagree with. "

There is no issue. It is not illegal, not under the elections Bill, the elections Act 2022, or anything else. If you didn't believe me when I pointed this out to you earlier, 5 minutes of googling would have made this clear.
[Post edited 1 May 2022 19:22]

Is that not for the judicial system of the UK to decide based on the facts? Just unsure unless you wrote the original Bill, took part in the debates around it, voted on it or indeed have adjudicated based the on the law whether any actions (based on the facts) have infringed the law or otherwise?
Oliver Dowden getting upset at Labour and Lib Dems working together on 19:33 - May 1 with 898 viewsJohnTy

Oliver Dowden getting upset at Labour and Lib Dems working together on 19:25 - May 1 by Reusers_Tash

Is that not for the judicial system of the UK to decide based on the facts? Just unsure unless you wrote the original Bill, took part in the debates around it, voted on it or indeed have adjudicated based the on the law whether any actions (based on the facts) have infringed the law or otherwise?

This is such nonsense. There is no law that says all parties have to contest every seat, nor indeed that they cannot have electoral pacts, secret or otherwise, nor that they can't put up purely paper candidates in seats they know they can't win.
Oliver Dowden getting upset at Labour and Lib Dems working together on 19:36 - May 1 with 880 viewsXYZ

Oliver Dowden getting upset at Labour and Lib Dems working together on 15:52 - May 1 by GlasgowBlue

I'm having a joke with my good friend Tractordownsouth. People from opposite ends of the political spectrum can do that with each other if they aren't obsessive weirdos.

Now if you were a little more clever you could have accused me of throwing a dead pussy on the table.

But to dress your points. Whatabouttery is when you defend one position by attacking your opponent over something else. I think Dowden is being a massive cry baby over this. The Tories benefited in 2019 under a similar unofficial understanding.

It can’t be misogyny to describe a part of a lady’s body that she has jokingly used herself.

Good to see you stalking me at 3.45 pm rather than am though. But you must try harder.
[Post edited 1 May 2022 16:13]

You (and Phil) might want to edit that further - it's looking like that claim came from one anonymous tory MP.

The original slur was from Amanda Platell in, guess where?, the Daily Mail!

Fake news again.
Oliver Dowden getting upset at Labour and Lib Dems working together on 19:42 - May 1 with 865 viewsfooters

Oliver Dowden getting upset at Labour and Lib Dems working together on 19:25 - May 1 by Reusers_Tash

You're wasting a lot of words and bandwidth here. Please think of the environment.

No law has been broken. Move on.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Oliver Dowden getting upset at Labour and Lib Dems working together on 19:45 - May 1 with 862 viewsmutters

Oliver Dowden getting upset at Labour and Lib Dems working together on 19:17 - May 1 by XYZ

You're mistaking me for someone else, I think - the above was my only direct response to you in this thread.

I think the "they're all as bad as each other" type of comment (which I appreciate you feel a bit short of) can only be made, with reference to the current tory party, by those who wish to collude in seriously (and permanently) damaging the UK.

XYZ, yes apologies I was referring to a comment made by somebody else, not you.

Oliver Dowden getting upset at Labour and Lib Dems working together on 19:50 - May 1 with 848 viewsBlueLikeJazz

The facts are that election pacts aren't illegal, the Electoral Commission are perfectly clear on this.
Oliver Dowden getting upset at Labour and Lib Dems working together on 21:03 - May 1 with 797 viewsReusers_Tash

Oliver Dowden getting upset at Labour and Lib Dems working together on 19:42 - May 1 by footers

You're wasting a lot of words and bandwidth here. Please think of the environment.

No law has been broken. Move on.

It seems from afar that the UK is in fact as divisive and intolerant to open debate as it is just now in the US. Over here whether you get shouted down and cancelled at the moment is purely based on which sides views you hold rather than normal open discussion. The shouting over and over again to support “facts” as you see them does not make you right or indeed the best way to discuss the issues at hand. The original point I was making was be prepared to question or even listen to other views rather than every discussion being a shouting match based on your view or “right” or “wrong”.
Oliver Dowden getting upset at Labour and Lib Dems working together on 21:11 - May 1 with 789 viewsfooters

Oliver Dowden getting upset at Labour and Lib Dems working together on 21:03 - May 1 by Reusers_Tash

It seems from afar that the UK is in fact as divisive and intolerant to open debate as it is just now in the US. Over here whether you get shouted down and cancelled at the moment is purely based on which sides views you hold rather than normal open discussion. The shouting over and over again to support “facts” as you see them does not make you right or indeed the best way to discuss the issues at hand. The original point I was making was be prepared to question or even listen to other views rather than every discussion being a shouting match based on your view or “right” or “wrong”.

So can you show us the actual law that, according to you, has been broken? Should be pretty easy.

If you can't you don't really have a point.

So it's pretty black and white.

Oliver Dowden getting upset at Labour and Lib Dems working together on 21:18 - May 1 with 784 viewsReusers_Tash

Oliver Dowden getting upset at Labour and Lib Dems working together on 21:11 - May 1 by footers

So can you show us the actual law that, according to you, has been broken? Should be pretty easy.

If you can't you don't really have a point.

So it's pretty black and white.

Seems like a pretty circular conversation at this point so have a great rest of your evening. Nothing will change based on opinions. Thanks for proving my point. You win.
🤣
Oliver Dowden getting upset at Labour and Lib Dems working together on 21:32 - May 1 with 760 viewsfooters

Oliver Dowden getting upset at Labour and Lib Dems working together on 21:18 - May 1 by Reusers_Tash

Seems like a pretty circular conversation at this point so have a great rest of your evening. Nothing will change based on opinions. Thanks for proving my point. You win.
🤣

It's not a circular conversation.

You've said what's going on is illegal when it's not. People have pointed this out to you and yet you don't want to accept it.

Not very difficult. And facts aren't opinions.

Oliver Dowden getting upset at Labour and Lib Dems working together on 21:44 - May 1 with 730 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Oliver Dowden getting upset at Labour and Lib Dems working together on 21:18 - May 1 by Reusers_Tash

🤣

Do you think that, if a law was potentially broken, the Government would be calling for it to be investigated by the police rather than one rogue Tory MP complaining about the practice in the press?

Was the Brexit Party prosecuted for openly doing exactly the same thing with Tory seats?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Oliver Dowden getting upset at Labour and Lib Dems working together on 21:48 - May 1 with 718 viewsjeera

🤣

But can you not see the problem here?

People have tried to explain that no rules are being broken and you are interpreting that as opinion.

I won't pretend to know because I don't and have so far been too lazy to look it up, but those correcting you don't appear to be in any doubt nor offering opinions. They are saying this is fact.

If you don't believe them or think they are mistaken that's another matter entirely.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Oliver Dowden getting upset at Labour and Lib Dems working together on 21:56 - May 1 with 1139 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Oliver Dowden getting upset at Labour and Lib Dems working together on 21:48 - May 1 by jeera

But can you not see the problem here?

People have tried to explain that no rules are being broken and you are interpreting that as opinion.

I won't pretend to know because I don't and have so far been too lazy to look it up, but those correcting you don't appear to be in any doubt nor offering opinions. They are saying this is fact.

If you don't believe them or think they are mistaken that's another matter entirely.

And have invited you to show them your evidence but your response is "I am entitled to my opinion, why can't you accept that?"

It may be your opinion that the law allows you to drive at 80 mph on A roads in this country. However, since the law does not, your opinion would be wrong.

There is no law that compels any political party to put up a candidate in every seat in every election in this country. If there were one, many parties would be breaking it every election.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Oliver Dowden getting upset at Labour and Lib Dems working together on 22:01 - May 1 with 1116 viewsHARRY10

Oliver Dowden getting upset at Labour and Lib Dems working together on 21:32 - May 1 by footers

It's not a circular conversation.

You've said what's going on is illegal when it's not. People have pointed this out to you and yet you don't want to accept it.

Not very difficult. And facts aren't opinions.

Appears one not too bright rightie (there are others) has mistaken May 1st, for April the 1st

In a letter designed it would appear that stupidity is not confined to the lower reaches of the Tory Party, their chairman writes a letter, which includes the words

"deny voters a proper democratic choice"

Forgetting that his party has just pushed through legislation that will deny the vote to the 9% of the populace who do not have photo ID

And makes no mention of the absence of the Greens, Deform and all the others who will be missing from various ballots.

It is not compulsory voting our rightie wants it would appear, but compulsory standing in elections by political parties.

And with the same thinking possessed by Pavolvs dogs, rightie springs to life. Ever keen to defend his betters, no matter what an arz he makes of himself.

And folk mock poor simple Nadine
Oliver Dowden getting upset at Labour and Lib Dems working together on 22:58 - May 1 with 887 viewsJohnTy

Oliver Dowden getting upset at Labour and Lib Dems working together on 21:56 - May 1 by Nthsuffolkblue

And have invited you to show them your evidence but your response is "I am entitled to my opinion, why can't you accept that?"

It may be your opinion that the law allows you to drive at 80 mph on A roads in this country. However, since the law does not, your opinion would be wrong.

There is no law that compels any political party to put up a candidate in every seat in every election in this country. If there were one, many parties would be breaking it every election.

For those who are interested in the legal situation - the Electoral Commission is interested only in campaign expenditure. If a party stands down but publicly supports a candidate of another party then
it has to be very careful about spending money on activities which could be judged to part of the expenses of the other party's candidate. All rather abstruse, and nothing to do with the spurious complaint that Dowden was making.
https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/election-pacts
Oliver Dowden getting upset at Labour and Lib Dems working together on 00:17 - May 2 with 746 viewsRyorry

Oliver Dowden getting upset at Labour and Lib Dems working together on 19:33 - May 1 by JohnTy

This is such nonsense. There is no law that says all parties have to contest every seat, nor indeed that they cannot have electoral pacts, secret or otherwise, nor that they can't put up purely paper candidates in seats they know they can't win.

And standing aside for other parties in a bid to overcome the tories (who are anyway only holding some seats as a result of themselves having gone in for a spot of gerrymandering with boundaries) has been going on for years between Greens, LibDems & Labour, incl in 2019 GE.

I wonder why Dowden is getting so het up now - maybe he & his odious party are frit that ever more of the electorate are wising up to their crimes?

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Oliver Dowden getting upset at Labour and Lib Dems working together on 11:50 - May 2 with 448 viewsDarth_Koont

Oliver Dowden being a hypocritical twerp.

I’m more concerned that local elections are being fought on national terms. Totally irrelevant although it does underline how powerless most local politicians and councils are now when they can be usurped in this fashion.

All in all I hope people vote for the best local candidates and if they can’t, then they stay at home. The Westminster political and media class need to know how awful and unfit for purpose they are.

Pronouns: He/Him

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024