Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Someone with good set piece delivery 21:28 - May 5 with 1962 viewscbower

Could be worth ten points next season. Just look at the quality of Wycombe's corners. Causing panic. Some coaching of proper movement combined with proper delivery would bring an instant dividend imo.

bluescouser

Someone with good set piece delivery on 21:34 - May 5 with 1938 viewsSteve_M

I do think it’s a bit of a mental block for us at the moment, plenty of good balls in in recent games. Agree though, adding even 10-15 goals from set pieces probably gets us to the play-offs. A good striker beyond that.

I thought this was quite encouraging, especially given how poor we were defensively under Cook:

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Someone with good set piece delivery on 21:42 - May 5 with 1887 viewscbower

Someone with good set piece delivery on 21:34 - May 5 by Steve_M

I do think it’s a bit of a mental block for us at the moment, plenty of good balls in in recent games. Agree though, adding even 10-15 goals from set pieces probably gets us to the play-offs. A good striker beyond that.

I thought this was quite encouraging, especially given how poor we were defensively under Cook:

Some pleasing stats and we should build from that platform. We have players capable of attacking set pieces but they seem so static. The delivery isn't whipped in with pace and often resembles a punt. Plenty of scope for improvement in this respect and like I said, a very quick dividend to be had.

bluescouser

Someone with good set piece delivery on 21:51 - May 5 with 1834 viewsRocky

Possession is a great thing but possibly we are too keen on keeping the ball rather than putting the ball into the mix from a corner. We seemed to take several short corners which invariably came to nothing - and we rarely shot from distance a la Bakinson. As has been said, we looked to scored the perfect goal rather than be more direct.
Hopefully we can mix it up more next season.
Someone with good set piece delivery on 02:19 - May 6 with 1617 viewsitfctilidie

If Wycombe don't go up i'd take Sam Vokes off them - he is the sort of striker you need in this division and at 32 still capable
Someone with good set piece delivery on 08:03 - May 6 with 1357 viewsbringbacktheglory

Someone with good set piece delivery on 21:51 - May 5 by Rocky

Possession is a great thing but possibly we are too keen on keeping the ball rather than putting the ball into the mix from a corner. We seemed to take several short corners which invariably came to nothing - and we rarely shot from distance a la Bakinson. As has been said, we looked to scored the perfect goal rather than be more direct.
Hopefully we can mix it up more next season.

I guess you could argue that our direct corners come to nothing, so why not try short! We notice when short corners don't pull off because they happen less often or the ball doesn't get into the box.. but how many corners have hit the first man this season!?

Either way, we have been rubbish at corners!
Someone with good set piece delivery on 08:55 - May 6 with 1288 viewsChurchman

Someone with good set piece delivery on 02:19 - May 6 by itfctilidie

If Wycombe don't go up i'd take Sam Vokes off them - he is the sort of striker you need in this division and at 32 still capable

He’s certainly the type of player we need, though his goalscoring record isn’t that brilliant up until this season. When that corner was whipped in he really wanted it more than anyone else. No ‘hopefully it’ll drop for me’ - he made it his.
Someone with good set piece delivery on 09:10 - May 6 with 1247 viewsKieran_Knows

Someone with good set piece delivery on 02:19 - May 6 by itfctilidie

The best we've played has been when Jackson was in the side and we were hurting teams with his pace in behind ... a 32 year old who's only ever been a target man in his career, I don't think is the answer.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Someone with good set piece delivery on 09:10 - May 6 with 1236 viewsNthQldITFC

Someone with good set piece delivery on 21:34 - May 5 by Steve_M

I think the mental block has been scoring goals in general (for our strikers), and specifically a hesitancy to attack the ball, rooted in a wariness of missing. Once we have a couple of options up top who attack the ball without fear, goals will start flying in from open play and from set pieces.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Login to get fewer ads

Someone with good set piece delivery on 09:51 - May 6 with 1170 viewsGarv

If Evans plays most weeks I don't think we'll get much better than him.

Probably just one of those things that clicks next season for no obvious reason (hopefully).

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Someone with good set piece delivery on 10:20 - May 6 with 1106 viewsfranz_tyson

Not putting this all on Celina, but expected more from him at set-pieces.

Wouldn't be surprised if he's here next season, but if they are still weighing up the pro's and cons about going back for him (which won't be cheap) - set piece delivery won't be a factor in his favour. Can also say the same about Aluko and Chaplin - expected more from them, too, but both are still contracted to us. Maybe a Luke Garbutt-type LWB could be the answer, but our three 10's/ second strikers should have done better. I really expected Celina to have 2-3 goals direct from 25yard free-kicks under his belt.
Someone with good set piece delivery on 11:26 - May 6 with 989 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Someone with good set piece delivery on 21:42 - May 5 by cbower

Some pleasing stats and we should build from that platform. We have players capable of attacking set pieces but they seem so static. The delivery isn't whipped in with pace and often resembles a punt. Plenty of scope for improvement in this respect and like I said, a very quick dividend to be had.

Any of the following, depending who goes up and who doesn't

Scott Twine - MK Dons (But we'll be battling Championship clubs)
Ronan Curtis - Portsmouth
Alex Pritchard - Sunderland
Joe Jacobson - Wycombe

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Someone with good set piece delivery on 11:34 - May 6 with 970 viewsjayessess

Someone with good set piece delivery on 10:20 - May 6 by franz_tyson

Wouldn't be surprised if he's here next season, but if they are still weighing up the pro's and cons about going back for him (which won't be cheap) - set piece delivery won't be a factor in his favour. Can also say the same about Aluko and Chaplin - expected more from them, too, but both are still contracted to us. Maybe a Luke Garbutt-type LWB could be the answer, but our three 10's/ second strikers should have done better. I really expected Celina to have 2-3 goals direct from 25yard free-kicks under his belt.

Think the fact that we've failed with such a variety of set piece takers probably suggests that the problem is in the penalty area rather than at the corner flag...
[Post edited 6 May 2022 11:34]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Someone with good set piece delivery on 11:42 - May 6 with 952 viewsSteve_M

Someone with good set piece delivery on 11:34 - May 6 by jayessess

Think the fact that we've failed with such a variety of set piece takers probably suggests that the problem is in the penalty area rather than at the corner flag...
[Post edited 6 May 2022 11:34]

That's partly what I meant by a mental block. Also I thought Burgess looked more of a threat when he came into the team - not a coincidence he contributed to and 'scored' for the late disallowed goals against Portsmouth and Cambridge.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Someone with good set piece delivery on 12:01 - May 6 with 921 viewsjayessess

Someone with good set piece delivery on 11:42 - May 6 by Steve_M

That's partly what I meant by a mental block. Also I thought Burgess looked more of a threat when he came into the team - not a coincidence he contributed to and 'scored' for the late disallowed goals against Portsmouth and Cambridge.

And sure, we dump a lot of corners on the first man (every team does, we defend a lot of corners at the near post too), but even when we get corners into a good area we rarely get quality efforts on goal.

I think it's a combo of our in-box movement not being terribly threatening and our headed shooting being poor.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Someone with good set piece delivery on 14:16 - May 6 with 819 viewsGarv

Someone with good set piece delivery on 10:20 - May 6 by franz_tyson

On the subject of left wing backs - and I know he won't be expected to be a regular next year - I'm surprised Penney hasn't had a crack at set pieces.

As pointed out by George Edmundson while co-commentating on the Charlton game, he's technically one of the best we have, and has a 'wand' of a left foot.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024