Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
30p Per Meal 08:59 - May 12 with 4898 viewsEdwardStone

That is the considered opinion Lee Anderson MP

He claims that poor people should be able to feed themselves on 30p per meal

He has an annual salary of £84 144

And last year he claimed £219 703-44 in expenses

This equates to £832-45 per day that we pay him for such wisdom

Or 2774 of his budget meals

[Post edited 12 May 2022 9:00]
30p Per Meal on 14:05 - May 12 with 1464 viewsmutters

The guy is an absolute n0b.

I would love to see what sort of meals he plans to make for 30p a serving? I am guessing its pasta / rice-based. No fresh fruit or vegs. That'll be good for long term heatlh

Poll: At what price would you sell our 32 year old Leading Scorer Murphy this summer?

30p Per Meal on 14:21 - May 12 with 1446 viewsfooters

30p Per Meal on 14:05 - May 12 by mutters

The guy is an absolute n0b.

I would love to see what sort of meals he plans to make for 30p a serving? I am guessing its pasta / rice-based. No fresh fruit or vegs. That'll be good for long term heatlh

Scurvy is a noble British disease. Get behind your country, man! A testament to our seafaring heritage.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

30p Per Meal on 14:29 - May 12 with 1430 viewsjaykay

30p Per Meal on 09:06 - May 12 by footers

My considered opinion is that Lee Anderson is a heartless c**t.

i expect he has been on you tube ,while sitting in parliament

still it could be worse he could been looking for tractor sites

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

30p Per Meal on 14:40 - May 12 with 1418 viewsBlueNomad

He's a nice bloke.................

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Anderson_(British_politician)
30p Per Meal on 15:01 - May 12 with 1409 viewsDeano69

is anything edible 30p now?

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

30p Per Meal on 15:19 - May 12 with 1392 viewsfooters

30p Per Meal on 15:01 - May 12 by Deano69

Freddo frog?

30p Per Meal on 15:55 - May 12 with 1369 viewsSwansea_Blue

Jack Monroe laying down a challenge. £500 donation to the Trussell Trust if anyone can do this (I'm not sure if you have to be a "white winger") .

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

30p Per Meal on 16:03 - May 12 with 1345 viewsParsley

30p Per Meal on 15:01 - May 12 by Deano69

No way, you can't even buy a Flake for £3m
Login to get fewer ads

30p Per Meal on 17:21 - May 12 with 1294 viewsChondzoresk

Scumbag slimeball. Utter c you next tuesday.
30p Per Meal on 18:23 - May 12 with 1251 viewsmutters

30p Per Meal on 14:21 - May 12 by footers

Scurvy is a noble British disease. Get behind your country, man! A testament to our seafaring heritage.

If it wasn't so bloody serious I'd be chuckling at your comment.

Poll: At what price would you sell our 32 year old Leading Scorer Murphy this summer?

30p Per Meal on 18:27 - May 12 with 1245 viewsjas0999

Ridiculous. Even a penny chew (back in the day a fruit salad) would probably cost 30p nowadays!
30p Per Meal on 18:44 - May 12 with 1226 viewsbrogansnose

30p Per Meal on 09:11 - May 12 by blueasfook

Bloody idiot. He should be made to prove it by existing for a month on a budget of 90p a day (3 meals).

Exactly this Mr Anderson. Show us how to do it.

Put up or STFU.
30p Per Meal on 19:06 - May 12 with 1201 viewsgalacticoblue

30p Per Meal on 15:55 - May 12 by Swansea_Blue

Jack Monroe laying down a challenge. £500 donation to the Trussell Trust if anyone can do this (I'm not sure if you have to be a "white winger") .

Jack Monroe made a meal for 11p

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/food-blogger-jack-monroe-shares-26497384
30p Per Meal on 19:10 - May 12 with 1190 viewsfooters

30p Per Meal on 19:06 - May 12 by galacticoblue

A dip with pitta bread isn't a meal.

It also doesn't meet the rules set out in that tweet and not using pre-existing ingredients.

But well done you for trying to shame the nation's poor into starvation.

30p Per Meal on 19:12 - May 12 with 1185 viewsgalacticoblue

30p Per Meal on 19:10 - May 12 by footers

A dip with pitta bread isn't a meal.

It also doesn't meet the rules set out in that tweet and not using pre-existing ingredients.

But well done you for trying to shame the nation's poor into starvation.

Touchy - it’s just a story from the Mirror about an 11p ‘meal’ calm down 😂😂
30p Per Meal on 19:33 - May 12 with 1157 viewsJ2BLUE

30p Per Meal on 19:06 - May 12 by galacticoblue

It's perfectly possible to make a meal for 30p. The difficulty is doing it when you can't buy in bulk, hitting all of the RDA, keeping processed flour/sugarto a minimum, getting enough variety to get different nutrients and having to do it day after day.

Not to mention some people were choosing between heating and eating and now some cannot even afford to cook.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

30p Per Meal on 19:49 - May 12 with 1147 viewsBigCommon

30p Per Meal on 11:32 - May 12 by You_Bloo_Right

The ingredients for a BBC beef stew recipe for 5, assuming you could buy 2 celery sticks rather than six, or two tablespoons of worcestershire sauce rather than a bottle, cost about £7.50.

So assuming you're happy to have beef stew 5 days a week (you don't have a freezer, remember) that's already £1.50 a day.

That £1.50 does not cover the cost of cooking nor purchasing and cooking some spuds, say, to go with your stew.

Then of course there's the other two meals.

I can make a stew for £10 and get 10 helpings from it.... You are going to need to freeze some of it, (if you live on your own) Chillie con carne same, Bolognese same.... It's not ideal to eat the same food often... But I'm not much of a foodie, so its just fuel to me... Porridge for breakfast, guessing about 40p a portion.... Beans on toast or soup and roll for lunch, 60p?.. Thats 3 meals for £2 per day.... My point is, if you have to, you can eat cheaply... Tbh, I only eat 2 meals a day, normally, and the odd piece of fruit thrown in... Obviously, we are all a bit different and need varying amounts according to our size and what kind of work we do, or how active we are.. (BTW.. my spuds are part of my stew , so are cooked with the rest in 1 big pot)...... Don't get me wrong, I agree that living costs are soaring.. But like I say, imo, food is the one thing, that's probably easiest to save a bit of cash on, if needed.. (Carrots, onion, whole swede, 2 parsnips, spuds, diced beef, 2 stock cubes, teaspoon mustard,water).. Perhaps not as grand as a BBC stew, but does me... If I'm on a tight budget, I'll just take a ten pound note with me to the supermarket , instead of taking a bank card. You'll be surprised what you can get with a tenner, if its all you've got..
30p Per Meal on 19:55 - May 12 with 1125 viewsJ2BLUE

30p Per Meal on 19:49 - May 12 by BigCommon

I can make a stew for £10 and get 10 helpings from it.... You are going to need to freeze some of it, (if you live on your own) Chillie con carne same, Bolognese same.... It's not ideal to eat the same food often... But I'm not much of a foodie, so its just fuel to me... Porridge for breakfast, guessing about 40p a portion.... Beans on toast or soup and roll for lunch, 60p?.. Thats 3 meals for £2 per day.... My point is, if you have to, you can eat cheaply... Tbh, I only eat 2 meals a day, normally, and the odd piece of fruit thrown in... Obviously, we are all a bit different and need varying amounts according to our size and what kind of work we do, or how active we are.. (BTW.. my spuds are part of my stew , so are cooked with the rest in 1 big pot)...... Don't get me wrong, I agree that living costs are soaring.. But like I say, imo, food is the one thing, that's probably easiest to save a bit of cash on, if needed.. (Carrots, onion, whole swede, 2 parsnips, spuds, diced beef, 2 stock cubes, teaspoon mustard,water).. Perhaps not as grand as a BBC stew, but does me... If I'm on a tight budget, I'll just take a ten pound note with me to the supermarket , instead of taking a bank card. You'll be surprised what you can get with a tenner, if its all you've got..

You've more than doubled the budget!

Truly impaired.

30p Per Meal on 20:13 - May 12 with 1104 viewsCoastalblue

30p Per Meal on 19:49 - May 12 by BigCommon

Meanwhile lots of foodbanks are requesting no root vegetables as people can't afford the additional power required to cook them.

There's a difference between making do with a (very) tight budget and having next to no budget.

I had a short period where I had to survive on not much, and it was tough, but I could spend a tenner to get enough to do a few meals as you suggest. Had I nothing more than a pocket full of change and impending energy bills or metres to be fed it would have been very different.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

30p Per Meal on 20:30 - May 12 with 1067 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

30p Per Meal on 20:13 - May 12 by Coastalblue

Meanwhile lots of foodbanks are requesting no root vegetables as people can't afford the additional power required to cook them.

There's a difference between making do with a (very) tight budget and having next to no budget.

I had a short period where I had to survive on not much, and it was tough, but I could spend a tenner to get enough to do a few meals as you suggest. Had I nothing more than a pocket full of change and impending energy bills or metres to be fed it would have been very different.

And of course whilst we are discussing whether you can survive on £1 or £2 a day the real issue, why should anyone in the 6th largest economy in the world have to contemplate such things, goes unremarked upon.

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

30p Per Meal on 20:35 - May 12 with 1062 viewsEdwardStone

30p Per Meal on 20:30 - May 12 by You_Bloo_Right

And of course whilst we are discussing whether you can survive on £1 or £2 a day the real issue, why should anyone in the 6th largest economy in the world have to contemplate such things, goes unremarked upon.

Exactly; the salient point

Mr Nose in Trough Tory might be right that you can cook a healthy nutritious meal for 30p

The fundamental point is that you shouldn't have to
30p Per Meal on 20:36 - May 12 with 1060 viewsjeera

30p Per Meal on 19:55 - May 12 by J2BLUE

These people aren't listening are they?

I too can knock up a meal for relative pennies, I'm pretty good at it as it goes when I want to.

But that's a million miles away from the point. Those on this thread claiming they can do this/that aren't considering that for a great deal of people in that situation it isn't a short term thing , but could well be a fact of life day in/day out forever.

"I can make a meal for £1 for 2 people". Well bully for you, can't we all if we need to, but what a way to miss the point.

No one wants to eat porridge and lentils every day for the rest of their lives, is one thing.

But the main thing is it isn't the damn place of someone who doesn't have to live that way to point it out as acceptable for others to do so in order to 'get by'.

It's downright patronising and fecking rude to boot.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

30p Per Meal on 20:41 - May 12 with 1043 viewsSwansea_Blue

30p Per Meal on 19:55 - May 12 by J2BLUE

More than doubled the budget AND probably not hitting nutritional requires and living like a monk. Nothing wrong with say a thin veg soup, but I wouldn’t want to live of the stuff.

In general (not aimed at who you were replying to), I’m finding this talk of ‘how little the poor could maybe get by on if only they could be bothered’ all very depressing and condescending. It’s hardly a bar we should be aiming for or proud of.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

30p Per Meal on 20:43 - May 12 with 1034 viewsJ2BLUE

30p Per Meal on 20:36 - May 12 by jeera

These people aren't listening are they?

I too can knock up a meal for relative pennies, I'm pretty good at it as it goes when I want to.

But that's a million miles away from the point. Those on this thread claiming they can do this/that aren't considering that for a great deal of people in that situation it isn't a short term thing , but could well be a fact of life day in/day out forever.

"I can make a meal for £1 for 2 people". Well bully for you, can't we all if we need to, but what a way to miss the point.

No one wants to eat porridge and lentils every day for the rest of their lives, is one thing.

But the main thing is it isn't the damn place of someone who doesn't have to live that way to point it out as acceptable for others to do so in order to 'get by'.

It's downright patronising and fecking rude to boot.

+1

Truly impaired.

30p Per Meal on 20:44 - May 12 with 1032 viewsjeera

30p Per Meal on 20:41 - May 12 by Swansea_Blue

More than doubled the budget AND probably not hitting nutritional requires and living like a monk. Nothing wrong with say a thin veg soup, but I wouldn’t want to live of the stuff.

In general (not aimed at who you were replying to), I’m finding this talk of ‘how little the poor could maybe get by on if only they could be bothered’ all very depressing and condescending. It’s hardly a bar we should be aiming for or proud of.

It's back to the "We shouldn't helping those foreign types when we have people of our own who need help too".

Except when it comes to it 'our own' aren't welcome to any support either.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024