Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Off to Cape Town tomorrow, any tips? 10:10 - May 13 with 4516 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Working, so probably won't get to see too much of the touristy stuff, but might be able to do some in down-time. I'll be honest I know next to nothing about SA. I've heard of Table Mountain!

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Off to Cape Town tomorrow, any tips? on 15:53 - May 13 with 903 viewsWeWereZombies

Off to Cape Town tomorrow, any tips? on 15:44 - May 13 by BloomBlue

If only Fergalsharkey was still around he could give you a full list of the best restaurants in SA

He probably had a chat with Nelson Mandela in one of them just last night...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Off to Cape Town tomorrow, any tips? on 16:10 - May 13 with 881 viewsallezlesbleus

My favourite city ever....

So much to see and do in a relatively small area. Eating and drinking out is excellent and cheap.

Most must do places have been mentioned, apart from watching the sun set from Signal Hill.

Long Street used to be very lively, a bit dodgy, but not too bad. The Crowbar on Waterkant Street and The George opposite used to be good drinking holes, but that was many years ago, so don't know about nowadays.
Off to Cape Town tomorrow, any tips? on 17:45 - May 13 with 861 viewseireblue

Throw yourself off a cliff.

Optionally, use someone like this to help with the push

https://www.paraglide.co.za/gallery/
[Redacted] on 17:49 - May 13 with 858 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
Off to Cape Town tomorrow, any tips? on 19:17 - May 13 with 828 viewsLord_Lucan

Be very careful out there and try not to look like a tourist

Oh, and buy some Khat.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Off to Cape Town tomorrow, any tips? on 19:29 - May 13 with 817 viewsSteve_M

Most of the good stuff is mentioned but all these worth doing if you can make time:

- cable car up Table Mountain
- go down to Cape Point
- drive back via Chapmans Peake route, it’s stunning
- find somewhere nice to eat around the Waterfront

It’s a nice city, albeit one with some very obvious poverty as you’ll see on the drive in from the airport past Cape Flats. Enjoy.
[Post edited 13 May 2022 20:33]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

[Redacted] on 20:21 - May 13 with 798 viewsvictorywilhappen

Off to Cape Town tomorrow, any tips? on 19:17 - May 13 by Lord_Lucan

Be very careful out there and try not to look like a tourist

Oh, and buy some Khat.

[Redacted]
Off to Cape Town tomorrow, any tips? on 20:30 - May 13 with 784 viewsWarkystache

Don't go for a swim in the sea

Or do, if you're not that fond of your legs.

Huge great whites they have off Cape Town

Poll: If we were guaranteed promotion next season, how would you celebrate?
Blog: [Blog] It's Time the Club Pushed On

Login to get fewer ads

Off to Cape Town tomorrow, any tips? on 20:36 - May 13 with 781 viewsLord_Lucan

[Redacted] on 20:21 - May 13 by victorywilhappen

[Redacted]

Have to admit I’ve never been to SA but I would like to go.

JJJ went over and told me it was a crazy place, I really want to go and have a look.

No offence to Dolly, I really quite like him from this cyber world but I can’t imagine him over there as he seems a bit “Islington”. I reckon he’ll either spend all his time in the hotel or get shot.

Look after yourself Dolls !
[Post edited 13 May 2022 20:43]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Off to Cape Town tomorrow, any tips? on 20:40 - May 13 with 766 viewswkj

Off to Cape Town tomorrow, any tips? on 12:39 - May 13 by The_Flashing_Smile

No, got an 'Oversight Traveller' form from the Film Industry Visa Assistance NPC - basically an official letter that lets me in despite only 4 months left on the passport, due to it being a work visit.

That's a lot of flap, Jack! You should have just had a biscuit instead
[Post edited 13 May 2022 20:41]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

[Redacted] on 20:46 - May 13 with 761 viewsvictorywilhappen

Off to Cape Town tomorrow, any tips? on 20:36 - May 13 by Lord_Lucan

JJJ went over and told me it was a crazy place, I really want to go and have a look.

No offence to Dolly, I really quite like him from this cyber world but I can’t imagine him over there as he seems a bit “Islington”. I reckon he’ll either spend all his time in the hotel or get shot.

[Redacted]
Off to Cape Town tomorrow, any tips? on 20:56 - May 13 with 740 viewsLord_Lucan

[Redacted] on 20:46 - May 13 by victorywilhappen

[Redacted]

You see, I really like that kind of attitude.

It’s very depressing when countries start to put a hard stance on bribery and the like.

It’s political correctness gone mad.

Off to Cape Town tomorrow, any tips? on 21:05 - May 13 with 725 viewsSteve_M

Cape Town is relatively safe, bits of Jo’burg less so but my cousin who lives in the latter says it’s just a matter is being sensible most of the time. As ever though, it’s try he imbalance is wealth that’s a big problem.

You should definitely go, some stunning scenery and good wine.

[Redacted] on 21:05 - May 13 with 721 viewsvictorywilhappen

Off to Cape Town tomorrow, any tips? on 20:56 - May 13 by Lord_Lucan

It’s very depressing when countries start to put a hard stance on bribery and the like.

[Redacted]
Off to Cape Town tomorrow, any tips? on 21:10 - May 13 with 708 viewsWeWereZombies

Off to Cape Town tomorrow, any tips? on 20:56 - May 13 by Lord_Lucan

You know about the billions of dollars (in cash) in a warehouse near Johannesburg that were once abstracted from the Libyan people by Muammar Gaddafi and that Jacob Zuma cannot get his hands on because it would, allegedly, prove another instance of his corruption in the sights of South Africa's anti-bribery legals?

Meanwhile a wrecked nation cannot feed its poor whilst the money is locked away in a desperate struggle between bounty hunters, dodgy politicians and another nation's legal system.

[Redacted] on 21:12 - May 13 with 704 viewsvictorywilhappen

Off to Cape Town tomorrow, any tips? on 21:05 - May 13 by Steve_M

Cape Town is relatively safe, bits of Jo’burg less so but my cousin who lives in the latter says it’s just a matter is being sensible most of the time. As ever though, it’s try he imbalance is wealth that’s a big problem.

You should definitely go, some stunning scenery and good wine.

[Redacted]
Off to Cape Town tomorrow, any tips? on 22:10 - May 13 with 671 viewsfarkenhell

Off to Cape Town tomorrow, any tips? on 16:10 - May 13 by allezlesbleus

My favourite city ever....

So much to see and do in a relatively small area. Eating and drinking out is excellent and cheap.

Most must do places have been mentioned, apart from watching the sun set from Signal Hill.

Long Street used to be very lively, a bit dodgy, but not too bad. The Crowbar on Waterkant Street and The George opposite used to be good drinking holes, but that was many years ago, so don't know about nowadays.

It was a few years ago now that Mrs F and I went there. We stayed in her brother-in-law's brother's flat (he also owned a house in a different area). On the last night of our stay, we went out for a meal with him and his partner - we insisted on paying because he refused to take much rent for the flat. We had 4 courses, wine, shorts after the meal. When the bill came and I did a rough-and-ready conversion in my head, the bill came to about £13! At the time, I thought I must have been mistaken because I was so pissed, but no. I wish I could remember the area (it wasn't touristy).
Off to Cape Town tomorrow, any tips? on 23:28 - May 13 with 639 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I lived in Brixton for 10 years bud!

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Off to Cape Town tomorrow, any tips? on 23:36 - May 13 with 631 viewsEdmundo

Camps Bay:head to a great pizza place on Isaac's Corner and watch the tide roll in.

Poll: Will our competitors in the Championship "find us out" in 2nd half of season
Blog: Blue Sky Thinking

Off to Cape Town tomorrow, any tips? on 07:00 - May 14 with 572 viewsEly_Blue

Off to Cape Town tomorrow, any tips? on 15:31 - May 13 by WeWereZombies

It is steep but not a long climb, it is not Ben Nevis. You would miss a great approach and a sense of achievement by using the cable car (but most people do use it, way too crowded when you get close to the top station - but as usual there is a stroll to the top and then the crowd thins out as you go the other peaks on the table and it becomes a wonder again.)

Maybe I got lucky on the day that I went?

Top of Table Mountain was the quietest place I’ve ever been on gods earth, I walked from the cable car for around 45 minutes to the highest point and it was the most serene experience

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Off to Cape Town tomorrow, any tips? on 07:09 - May 14 with 566 viewsLesta_Tractor

Boulder's beach is quite nice, see the penguins and get a good view of table mountain from the beach.

1:23:47, 38:26
Poll: What is more important to you?

Off to Cape Town tomorrow, any tips? on 09:13 - May 14 with 547 viewsSteve_M

Off to Cape Town tomorrow, any tips? on 07:00 - May 14 by Ely_Blue

Maybe I got lucky on the day that I went?

Top of Table Mountain was the quietest place I’ve ever been on gods earth, I walked from the cable car for around 45 minutes to the highest point and it was the most serene experience

Away from the cable car station, even by about ten minutes walk, it was much quieter. I did want to walk up rather than do the cable car but it was ludicrously hot and walking to the Lion’s Head was knackering enough in that heat.

Off to Cape Town tomorrow, any tips? on 11:15 - May 14 with 532 viewsWeWereZombies

Off to Cape Town tomorrow, any tips? on 09:13 - May 14 by Steve_M

Away from the cable car station, even by about ten minutes walk, it was much quieter. I did want to walk up rather than do the cable car but it was ludicrously hot and walking to the Lion’s Head was knackering enough in that heat.

Ah, you see, we took a taxi to the start of the path. I did ask the taxi driver if he had walked up and he said 'yes, it is not an experience I wish to repeat'. Then again, he spent most of the ride talking about Zimbabweans who come to South Africa and work too hard.

Off to Cape Town tomorrow, any tips? on 22:03 - May 14 with 461 viewsallezlesbleus

I lived in Cape Town from the day before the Berlin Wall fell and came back just as Ipswich were gearing up to play in the first ever Premier League.

I've had a gun pulled on me in Jo'burg, well, Hillbrow to be exact. If any of you know Hillbrow, then you would know that is not a rare event. I've also had a gun pulled on me in Durban, but never had much trouble in Cape Town. Used to frequent a few Shebeens in Maitland, very near to CPT and had a great night at a Shebeen in Botshabelo township, in the Free State. Now I'm older and wiser I probably wouldn't do any of that again....mind you, on 2nd thoughts!

Basically, SA is the same as everywhere. Most people are great, very friendly and out for a good time. Every now and then you might bump into a baddie.......trouble is, over there the ending is normally worse then bumping into a baddie in Ipswich.
[Post edited 14 May 2022 22:04]
Off to Cape Town tomorrow, any tips? on 22:12 - May 14 with 449 viewsallezlesbleus

[Redacted] on 20:21 - May 13 by victorywilhappen

[Redacted]

I once got a taxi home from Sea Point to central CPT. The driver was absolutely wkered and ending up going on the pish with me in Long Street. As it was getting light, he jumped back into his Mercedes cab and was off.......not sure if he was continuing to work or going home. I always remember him, as he was a Cape Coloured/Cape Malay and his name was Whitey.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024