Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pitch invasions 21:50 - May 19 with 4255 viewsOwainG1992

What on earth is going on with moronic fans lately.
Everton fans having a bit of a pitch invasion in the 85th minute because they won't be going down.
That's just sad.

You've got all the Forest and Huddersfield fans having pitch invasions too. (For getting to a final).
So you'll look like a moron if you don't go up now.

Just find it sad and stupid.

Rant over.

Poll: Apologies I'm bored. How many signings will we have by Plymouth at home.

Pitch invasions on 08:33 - May 20 with 1276 viewsbluelagos

Pitch invasions on 08:08 - May 20 by ghostofescobar

There must be automatic stadium closures as a punishment if pitches are invaded. Two game minimum. Someone is going to get properly hurt, although Billy Sharpe would probably argue that he already has been.

So you'd have been happy to see Portman Rd closed after the various (non violent) pitch invasions it's seen?

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Pitch invasions on 08:44 - May 20 with 1256 viewsghostofescobar

Pitch invasions on 08:33 - May 20 by bluelagos

So you'd have been happy to see Portman Rd closed after the various (non violent) pitch invasions it's seen?

But pitch invasions clearly aren't non violent anymore are they? When was our last pitch invasion? Over 20 years ago. What would you rather, that someone gets badly hurt? I don't see any evidence in recent years to suggest that pitch invasions are getting safer, just the opposite.

GhostOfEscobar

Pitch invasions on 08:47 - May 20 with 1239 viewsbluelagos

Pitch invasions on 08:44 - May 20 by ghostofescobar

But pitch invasions clearly aren't non violent anymore are they? When was our last pitch invasion? Over 20 years ago. What would you rather, that someone gets badly hurt? I don't see any evidence in recent years to suggest that pitch invasions are getting safer, just the opposite.

I've not stated a position.

I merely point out that automatic closure of grounds if/when a pitch invasion occurs (as you advocate) would have meant Ipswich (and many other good natured invasions) would have also resulted in ground closures.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Pitch invasions on 08:55 - May 20 with 1222 viewsStokieBlue

Pitch invasions on 08:33 - May 20 by bluelagos

Morning BL.

I'm not sure that line of argument holds true when the context of the invasions has clearly changed in recent times. I am don't know if it's alcohol, celebrity sherbet or simple bad manners but there has been a big uptick in violence towards players and staff during pitch invasions.

Thus comparing punishments across the eras isn't really valid. Whilst I agree that stadium closures is a step too far, points deductions should certainly be on the table. Everton avoided relegation, they didn't win the Champions League, a pitch invasion really wasn't justified, especially one that involved provocation towards Palace staff.

Someone is going to get seriously hurt if this continues, unfortunately I think it's only a matter of time until we see rival fans clashing on the pitch at this rate.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Pitch invasions on 09:02 - May 20 with 1200 viewsghostofescobar

Pitch invasions on 08:47 - May 20 by bluelagos

I've not stated a position.

I merely point out that automatic closure of grounds if/when a pitch invasion occurs (as you advocate) would have meant Ipswich (and many other good natured invasions) would have also resulted in ground closures.

Appreciate that, but I was asking questions, not saying you had taken a position. However, good question, so placed in the context of here and now, then yes, on balance, I'd be happy with PR being closed. Happier with that than what we are continuously seeing going on at the moment.

GhostOfEscobar

Pitch invasions on 09:10 - May 20 with 1182 viewsFunge

Pitch invasions on 08:55 - May 20 by StokieBlue

Morning BL.

I'm not sure that line of argument holds true when the context of the invasions has clearly changed in recent times. I am don't know if it's alcohol, celebrity sherbet or simple bad manners but there has been a big uptick in violence towards players and staff during pitch invasions.

Thus comparing punishments across the eras isn't really valid. Whilst I agree that stadium closures is a step too far, points deductions should certainly be on the table. Everton avoided relegation, they didn't win the Champions League, a pitch invasion really wasn't justified, especially one that involved provocation towards Palace staff.

Someone is going to get seriously hurt if this continues, unfortunately I think it's only a matter of time until we see rival fans clashing on the pitch at this rate.

SB

Don't buy all this modern revisionism, at all.

Clough himself smacked someone in the face in 1989 following a pitch invasion, and, more locally, we used to have semi-regular pitch invasions every time something good happened (which explains why there haven't been too many in recent times).

Loads of people ran on after the Bryan Gunn game in 96 (Robert Fleck took a lot of stick from a lot of fans, possibly including me), plus there was a pitch invasion after losing to Man U in 2001 - a game that effectively confirmed our relegation. Almost any goal at home against the budgies tends to manifest in a pitch invasion of sorts, too.

People who misbehave, like that fool in Nottingham, get nicked, as it should be. There's your deterrent.

Absolutely an argument that society is reacting to 2 years of authoritarian rule; I'm not sure that applying further authoritarianism will be especially productive.

I'm with Illy here.
Pitch invasions on 09:11 - May 20 with 1177 viewspointofblue

Reading the Port Vale forum, after their fans attacked Swindon players yesterday, whilst not condoning it, they’re saying the actions of Swindon staff before and during the game incited the fans. Nottingham Forest fans are saying much the same thing, though there are more of them saying it’s no excuse.

We’re into the era of not taking responsibility - it’s his fault, guv.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Pitch invasions on 09:18 - May 20 with 1165 viewsDJR

Going on the pitch at the end of last match of the season was a tradition back in the 70s, and was completely good natured. In the 1980s, fencing made this largely impossible, and later going on the pitch was made a criminal offence, which it still is. Indeed, I believe this was one of the offences the Nottingham Forest fan was charged with. In practice, the police can't arrest everyone when loads go on the pitch because there is safety in numbers. This means I might be tempted when we clinch promotion next season. I might add that the only way to stop it would be to go back to fencing which I don't think anyone would want.
[Post edited 20 May 2022 9:28]
Login to get fewer ads

Pitch invasions on 09:23 - May 20 with 1157 viewsghostofescobar

Pitch invasions on 09:10 - May 20 by Funge

Clough himself smacked someone in the face in 1989 following a pitch invasion, and, more locally, we used to have semi-regular pitch invasions every time something good happened (which explains why there haven't been too many in recent times).

Loads of people ran on after the Bryan Gunn game in 96 (Robert Fleck took a lot of stick from a lot of fans, possibly including me), plus there was a pitch invasion after losing to Man U in 2001 - a game that effectively confirmed our relegation. Almost any goal at home against the budgies tends to manifest in a pitch invasion of sorts, too.

People who misbehave, like that fool in Nottingham, get nicked, as it should be. There's your deterrent.

Absolutely an argument that society is reacting to 2 years of authoritarian rule; I'm not sure that applying further authoritarianism will be especially productive.

I'm with Illy here.

But Clough's incident stood out, as something like that happening post "good natured" pitch invasion was quite rare (even more so as it was a manager), rare enough that most of us remember it over 30 years later. Virtually every pitch invasion this week there's been some nasty stuff going on. I see absolutely no reason why players and club staff should have to put up with that. TBH, it would scare the sh1t out of me if I was in the away team when these invasions are happening.

GhostOfEscobar

Pitch invasions on 09:39 - May 20 with 1134 viewstractorboy1978

I'm with Illy here.

We aren't far away from a serious incident. And by serious I mean someone being struck with a weapon or stabbed on a football pitch. People might think that is melodramatic but it's a very real possibility if you take an idiot, 8 pints, a bag of sniff, a lot of built up anger and the ability to easily get a weapon into a football ground.
Points deduction? on 09:59 - May 20 with 1098 viewsgalacticoblue

Seen an interesting suggestion that clubs who can’t control their supporters should be penalised with a points deduction.

Couldn’t argue with that, especially with the physical violence and intimidation on display by some idiots.
Pitch invasions on 10:03 - May 20 with 1096 viewsDyland

Er... what about May 2000 at PR...

It is a problem with fans behaving like thugs and twonks, but nothing antisocial per se about a good old fashioned pitch invasion. Maybe us Brits or humankind generally have just become angrier....

Interesting read about the bloke who clobbered Billy Sharp, saying he ran into him by mistake. It really did look deliberate, non? I was pretty shocked by that.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Pitch invasions on 10:05 - May 20 with 1092 viewsDyland

Pitch invasions on 08:55 - May 20 by StokieBlue

Morning BL.

SB

Simple bad manners imo. People have become more antisocial and inconsiderate. Partly because antisocial behaviour can't be controlled except by a police state, or at least more police around (see the appalling driving on motorways that's got worse and worse, imo cos there are never any police on them).

Pitch invasions on 10:09 - May 20 with 1083 viewsDyland

Pitch invasions on 03:08 - May 20 by Illinoisblue

Big fan of the way Patrick Vieira dealt with it.

Fair play Patrick innit. Total scrote, that fan. Go and celebrate with your own team ffs. I like how a couple of older and clearly more sensible Everton fans calm it down.

Pitch invasions on 10:11 - May 20 with 1079 viewsDyland

I'm with Illy here.

Yeh but you're a yob innit.

Pitch invasions on 10:13 - May 20 with 1072 viewsStokieBlue

I'm with Illy here.

"Absolutely an argument that society is reacting to 2 years of authoritarian rule; I'm not sure that applying further authoritarianism will be especially productive."

In my opinion that's a misuse of the word authoritarian in both examples in order to try and make the point more emotive.

Pitch invasions are getting more frequent and more violent, you can cherry pick instances over 4 decades if you like but it can be countered with 4 examples in recent months.

"People who misbehave, like that fool in Nottingham, get nicked, as it should be. There's your deterrent."

It's clearly not working as a deterrent.

SB
[Post edited 20 May 2022 10:14]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Pitch invasions on 10:16 - May 20 with 1050 viewsmylittletown

Pitch invasions on 10:13 - May 20 by StokieBlue

"Absolutely an argument that society is reacting to 2 years of authoritarian rule; I'm not sure that applying further authoritarianism will be especially productive."

In my opinion that's a misuse of the word authoritarian in both examples in order to try and make the point more emotive.

Pitch invasions are getting more frequent and more violent, you can cherry pick instances over 4 decades if you like but it can be countered with 4 examples in recent months.

"People who misbehave, like that fool in Nottingham, get nicked, as it should be. There's your deterrent."

SB

Yes, there is a big difference between a pitch invasion - pathetic but understandable in some circumstances - and attacking players.
The latter is nothing but assault and should treated as such, full police involvement etc.
Pitch invasions on 10:20 - May 20 with 1042 viewswkj

Also, point of reference - Pitch invasions to have a sing song and hug the players is one thing - but to go on the pitch and be an utter [redacted] toward the other team is just dick heads being dickheads.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Pitch invasions on 10:26 - May 20 with 1024 viewsghostofescobar

SB

There’s been four incidents this week!!

GhostOfEscobar

Pitch invasions on 15:40 - May 20 with 897 viewsFunge

SB

There have been pitch invasions at almost all play-off semi-final for the last 20 years, particularly when the home team win the 2nd leg. This occurs across all EFL league, and further down the league.

A good mate is a Huddersfield ST; they have had plenty of play-off action in recent times, receiving a picture of him nobbing around on the pitch at the Galpharm is pretty much standard for this time of year.

On that point, people shrieking that there have been 4 pitch invasions this week seem to ignore the fact that this is the 'sharp' end of the year, when loads of teams get promoted/ avoid relegation. Lots of people have lots to celebrate.

If people were running on the pitch after a 1-1 draw against Exeter in February, then I'd think there was a wider problem - obviously that's not the case.

Re: our man in Nottingham - he got sent down for 6 months, 36 hours after the offence - I'm unaware of such a long sentence having been handed out in such a short time before. That's what I mean about the deterrent.

(And, by the way, fck that fool - full of ding, and dressed like a Teletubbie.... what on earth did he think was going to happen?)

Finally, I'm fully coming round to Chico's stance on Cocaine - it's absolutely endemic in football now. Put as many stewards and fences round the pitch as you like - as long as people are getting dinged up in the toilets, there are gonna be problems.
Pitch invasions on 16:08 - May 20 with 860 viewsstrikalite

Mixed feeling about it, as people have said it would be fine if the odd dickhead didn't do something stupid, that's too much to ask..

If you enter the field of play during the game you're arrested, it's a criminal offence, the clubs could just put out a statement saying that anyone running on the pitch will be prosecuted when found through CCTV footage and banned etc...that would stop it.

Strange innit, Everton have had a dreadful season yet celebrate like they've won the treble...
Pitch invasions on 21:47 - May 20 with 786 viewsMelford

I'm with Illy here.

I remember them running on and sitting down on the pitch during the Duncan Out protests. Last time I was on the pitch other than that TWTD 6-a-side thing a few years back was the Man Utd game but I must have been on the pitch about 10 times before that, last home game of the season it was a tradition.

I remember that Clough one, that was amazing. He smacked two of them and they were Forest fans! He'd lose his job for that now.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Pitch invasions on 22:57 - May 20 with 760 viewsITFC_History

Pitch invasions on 16:08 - May 20 by strikalite

Mixed feeling about it, as people have said it would be fine if the odd dickhead didn't do something stupid, that's too much to ask..

If you enter the field of play during the game you're arrested, it's a criminal offence, the clubs could just put out a statement saying that anyone running on the pitch will be prosecuted when found through CCTV footage and banned etc...that would stop it.

Strange innit, Everton have had a dreadful season yet celebrate like they've won the treble...

We done the same in the past when we were having a bad season.

It wasn't as many fans as Everton & yes it was 36 years ago but many fans run on the pitch when the game was still ongoing. But 100% agree if you run on the pitch at anytime its a ban at the very least

Pitch invasions on 08:13 - May 21 with 689 viewstractorboy1978

Pitch invasions on 15:40 - May 20 by Funge

There have been pitch invasions at almost all play-off semi-final for the last 20 years, particularly when the home team win the 2nd leg. This occurs across all EFL league, and further down the league.

A good mate is a Huddersfield ST; they have had plenty of play-off action in recent times, receiving a picture of him nobbing around on the pitch at the Galpharm is pretty much standard for this time of year.

On that point, people shrieking that there have been 4 pitch invasions this week seem to ignore the fact that this is the 'sharp' end of the year, when loads of teams get promoted/ avoid relegation. Lots of people have lots to celebrate.

If people were running on the pitch after a 1-1 draw against Exeter in February, then I'd think there was a wider problem - obviously that's not the case.

Re: our man in Nottingham - he got sent down for 6 months, 36 hours after the offence - I'm unaware of such a long sentence having been handed out in such a short time before. That's what I mean about the deterrent.

(And, by the way, fck that fool - full of ding, and dressed like a Teletubbie.... what on earth did he think was going to happen?)

Finally, I'm fully coming round to Chico's stance on Cocaine - it's absolutely endemic in football now. Put as many stewards and fences round the pitch as you like - as long as people are getting dinged up in the toilets, there are gonna be problems.

A pitch invasion isn't a rite of passage though and player safety supersedes the need for a fan to get a selfie to upload on Instagram.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024