Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ultimately it's academic 18:01 - May 22 with 2812 viewsGarv

And I've raised this on here before and been shot down, but why are referees cheating teams and fans out of stoppage time?

City Villa had +4 minutes (which is low anyway). They spend a minute or more checking on the injured Ederson and another minute or so preparing to take throw ins and corners, and the referee blows on 94:25.

It's nonsense.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Ultimately it's academic on 18:15 - May 22 with 2413 viewsVeggie

Don’t want to waste valuable advertising time do they
Ultimately it's academic on 18:16 - May 22 with 2410 viewsNthQldITFC

I'm very much a traditionalist, but one simple change I would make to football would be a timekeeper, with a visible time display stopped for specific reasons (e.g. for injuries, but not for throw-ins), and play to 90 minutes precisely. Works well in rugby.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Ultimately it's academic on 18:16 - May 22 with 2406 viewsBig_Jase

I really liked Mark Clattenburgs suggestion of 60 minute matches, with the clock stopped for every time the ball is not in play, similar to basketball and rugby.

Poll: Who would actually care if Norwich responded with a plane banner?

Ultimately it's academic on 18:33 - May 22 with 2332 viewsFreddies_Ears

Ref at Norwich blew exactly on 90 mins, as if that might spare them humiliation...
Ultimately it's academic on 19:10 - May 22 with 2245 viewsTJS

Totally agree - with the stoppage in added time there is no way that whistle should have gone before 96:30
Incredibly unlikely but not beyond the realms of possibility Villa could have got the ball back and scored.
Seems odd that after checking VAR for everything no one seems bothered about this.
Ultimately it's academic on 10:30 - May 23 with 1914 viewsGarv

Ultimately it's academic on 19:10 - May 22 by TJS

Totally agree - with the stoppage in added time there is no way that whistle should have gone before 96:30
Incredibly unlikely but not beyond the realms of possibility Villa could have got the ball back and scored.
Seems odd that after checking VAR for everything no one seems bothered about this.

I don't get why it's not picked up on by commentators and broadcasters, MOTD etc.

We all love talking about Fergie time, goals in stoppage time and whatever, but no one seems to care that games are being cut short by several minutes every week (on top of all the other stoppages that aren't factored in).

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Ultimately it's academic on 10:45 - May 23 with 1858 viewsJ2BLUE

Ultimately it's academic on 10:30 - May 23 by Garv

I don't get why it's not picked up on by commentators and broadcasters, MOTD etc.

We all love talking about Fergie time, goals in stoppage time and whatever, but no one seems to care that games are being cut short by several minutes every week (on top of all the other stoppages that aren't factored in).

Gary Neville "There is at least a minute left in this game"

Then a few seconds later the whistle went.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Ultimately it's academic on 11:02 - May 23 with 1819 viewsBluefields

I would like to see independent time keepers introduced and games with 60 minutes of ball in play time
Login to get fewer ads

Ultimately it's academic on 11:04 - May 23 with 1799 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Ultimately it's academic on 18:16 - May 22 by NthQldITFC

I'm very much a traditionalist, but one simple change I would make to football would be a timekeeper, with a visible time display stopped for specific reasons (e.g. for injuries, but not for throw-ins), and play to 90 minutes precisely. Works well in rugby.

Games would last approx 2 and half hours if the ball was required to be in play for 90 mins

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Ultimately it's academic on 11:29 - May 23 with 1697 viewsChrisd

I agree. Management/coaching staff and the players know how to manipulate the system to work in their favour towards the end of the game. It would be really interesting to see how much actual time is wasted with these stoppages and how it equates to how much injury time should be added on by the officials. I do like the idea that the clock stops when the ball is out of play or an injury occurs, might stop some of this play acting and players pretending they can't suddenly run when get substituted.
[Post edited 23 May 2022 12:11]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Ultimately it's academic on 11:34 - May 23 with 1671 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Ultimately it's academic on 18:16 - May 22 by NthQldITFC

It is an okay idea but would need consideration...

If such a rule were introduced then it would need to say that, after time is up, the game is still live until the next time the ball is out of play. This to avoid the situation where a player shoots and time is up just as the ball crosses the line into the goal.

It would then be okay for a team defending a lead to end the game by kicking the ball 'into touch'. But you would need another rule so that a player doesn't deliberately handle the ball or foul an opponent solely in order to end the game. In such a case the game would need to restart until it goes out of play naturally or a goal is scored.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Ultimately it's academic on 11:34 - May 23 with 1671 viewsTractor_Thief

Ultimately it's academic on 11:02 - May 23 by Bluefields

I would like to see independent time keepers introduced and games with 60 minutes of ball in play time

Just out of curiosity if a game were to be set at 60 minutes of actual play, does anyone know how long an actual match would be? Is 1/3 of our current 90 "out of play"?
Ultimately it's academic on 11:43 - May 23 with 1650 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Ultimately it's academic on 18:16 - May 22 by Big_Jase

I really liked Mark Clattenburgs suggestion of 60 minute matches, with the clock stopped for every time the ball is not in play, similar to basketball and rugby.

60 min matches is a no from me.

Stop the clock rather than add time though yes.

The day football matches are only 60 mins is the day I quit watching all together.

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Ultimately it's academic on 11:45 - May 23 with 1639 viewstextbackup

Ultimately it's academic on 10:45 - May 23 by J2BLUE

Gary Neville "There is at least a minute left in this game"

Then a few seconds later the whistle went.

Scousers up in arms over this too… obviously

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Ultimately it's academic on 11:45 - May 23 with 1635 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Ultimately it's academic on 11:34 - May 23 by Tractor_Thief

Just out of curiosity if a game were to be set at 60 minutes of actual play, does anyone know how long an actual match would be? Is 1/3 of our current 90 "out of play"?

Was approx 54 mins in the PL earlier this season

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10220473/amp/Premier-League-t

Ultimately it's academic on 11:46 - May 23 with 1630 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Ultimately it's academic on 11:43 - May 23 by BlueandTruesince82

The day football matches are only 60 mins is the day I quit watching all together.

Why? Still playing 90 but stopping the clock would be a far bigger fundamental change

Ultimately it's academic on 12:12 - May 23 with 1560 viewsChrisd

Ultimately it's academic on 11:45 - May 23 by textbackup

If it annoys them, I'm quite happy with it.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Ultimately it's academic on 12:30 - May 23 with 1507 viewsBluefields

Ultimately it's academic on 11:34 - May 23 by Tractor_Thief

I believe its about 54 minutes on average
Ultimately it's academic on 12:35 - May 23 with 1481 viewsJ2BLUE

Ultimately it's academic on 11:45 - May 23 by textbackup

Yea, unlikely Villa would have got in their half but you at least want a fair crack.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Ultimately it's academic on 12:35 - May 23 with 1481 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Ultimately it's academic on 11:46 - May 23 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Why? Still playing 90 but stopping the clock would be a far bigger fundamental change

How?

Don't follow your logic. Ther has never been 30 mins of added time at the end of game, even with all stoppages being counted I don't think it would get to 30 mins and even if it did football is 90 mins plus the injury time not 60 mins plus injury time.

Stopping the clock merely mean time added on ends up being the correct amount of time.

Changing games to 60 mins completely changes the game
[Post edited 23 May 2022 12:36]

Ultimately it's academic on 12:39 - May 23 with 1464 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Ultimately it's academic on 12:30 - May 23 by Bluefields

I believe its about 54 minutes on average

What is out of play though?

Time shouldn't be added for GKS, FKS, throws to be taken as that is part of the games (does the letter of tbe law say that it should?)

Time should only be added/stopped for injuries, moments where're the players decide they simply have to argue the toss etc

Ultimately it's academic on 13:03 - May 23 with 1390 viewstextbackup

Ultimately it's academic on 12:12 - May 23 by Chrisd

If it annoys them, I'm quite happy with it.

Absolutely

Hope Madrid stuff them too

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Ultimately it's academic on 13:18 - May 23 with 1345 viewsBig_Jase

Ultimately it's academic on 11:43 - May 23 by BlueandTruesince82

The whole point of the 60 minute match, is that the ball is only in play for approximately 54 mins per game. If you did the same for a 90 minute match, I’d wager that the overall running time of the game would easily be two and a half hours, including half time.

Poll: Who would actually care if Norwich responded with a plane banner?

Ultimately it's academic on 13:22 - May 23 with 1320 viewsPlums

My daughter recently completed her initial referees course. There was nothing on timekeeping in it whatsoever. They make it up.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Ultimately it's academic on 13:23 - May 23 with 1311 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Ultimately it's academic on 12:35 - May 23 by BlueandTruesince82

How?

Don't follow your logic. Ther has never been 30 mins of added time at the end of game, even with all stoppages being counted I don't think it would get to 30 mins and even if it did football is 90 mins plus the injury time not 60 mins plus injury time.

Stopping the clock merely mean time added on ends up being the correct amount of time.

Changing games to 60 mins completely changes the game
[Post edited 23 May 2022 12:36]

Looking at your follow up I misunderstood what you were suggesting - your post above read as if they should stop the clock out of play but still play 90 mins, which would mean games lasting an extra 45 mins to an hour given how often the ball is out

Can see you’ve since mentioned it should only be for injuries and subs which is different, but wouldn’t stop a lot of the timewasting that goes on (slowing down for throws/gk’s/corners etc)

Personally I would just leave it as it is but have refs be quicker and hotter on penalising time wasting, but if there was ever to be a move to stop the clock with the ball out of play as others have suggested then reducing the time of the game would be a must

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024