Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wow!! 20:29 - Jun 7 with 1641 viewsnoggin

More than seven hundred people have died from gunshot wounds, in America, in the 2 weeks since the Texas school shooting. 23 of them were children. That is just a mind blowing statistic.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Wow!! on 20:51 - Jun 7 with 1559 viewsearlsgreenblue

Well we knew it was worrying over there, but that’s off the scale mind blowing!
[Post edited 7 Jun 2022 20:52]
Wow!! on 21:45 - Jun 7 with 1488 viewsjeera

Isn't there a stat which states more Americans have died in domestic shootings since the mid 1960s [?] than in all wars the country has been involved in ever?

Including their own civil war.

If it's made up I apologise in advance.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Wow!! on 21:47 - Jun 7 with 1478 viewsunstableblue

do you have a link for those deets please Noggin

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Wow!! on 22:00 - Jun 7 with 1437 viewsHARRY10

The average death till from guns is around 100 a day

split around 50/50 suicide/ and other

so that appears quite low

More Americans Killed by Guns Since 1968 Than in All U.S. Wars

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/las-vegas-shooting/more-americans-killed-guns-
Wow!! on 22:06 - Jun 7 with 1428 viewsIllinoisblue

Wow!! on 21:45 - Jun 7 by jeera

Isn't there a stat which states more Americans have died in domestic shootings since the mid 1960s [?] than in all wars the country has been involved in ever?

Including their own civil war.

If it's made up I apologise in advance.

I’ve seen that stat and sadly think it’s correct. Quite extraordinary numbers.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Wow!! on 22:11 - Jun 7 with 1407 viewsEireannach_gorm

Wow!! on 21:47 - Jun 7 by unstableblue

Now leading cause of death in young people in America

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2201761
Wow!! on 22:14 - Jun 7 with 1394 viewsEireannach_gorm

The American solution to this incident would be to arm the other children.

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2022/0607/1303348-florida-shooting/
Wow!! on 22:23 - Jun 7 with 1357 viewsHARRY10

Wow!! on 22:14 - Jun 7 by Eireannach_gorm

""Gun owners that do not properly secure their firearms are just one split second away from one of these tragedies happening in their homes," Mr Mina said."

or

Gun owners are just one split second away from one of these tragedies happening in their homes

"Both parents were on parole at the time after multiple offences of child neglect and drug use"

and they were allowed guns !
Login to get fewer ads

Wow!! on 22:43 - Jun 7 with 1337 viewsjeera

Wow!! on 22:14 - Jun 7 by Eireannach_gorm

I saw that yesterday and the worst thing about it is that it's happened before. Where a child has shot a parent with their own gun.

I said a week or two ago on a thread that I could understand why some people would keep a gun in their homes if they felt vulnerable; lived in a particular area of high crime or similar.

But clearly I forgot how some people treat gun ownership in such a casual manner.

I mean why on earth would you have the thing in your handbag, or lying around in the car or whatever?

It's just fecking insane. What do these people think will bloody well happen?
[Post edited 7 Jun 2022 22:51]

Wow!! on 22:50 - Jun 7 with 1319 viewsEireannach_gorm

Wow!! on 22:43 - Jun 7 by jeera

I saw that yesterday and the worst thing about it is that it's happened before. Where a child has shot a parent with their own gun.

I said a week or two ago on a thread that I could understand why some people would keep a gun in their homes if they felt vulnerable; lived in a particular area of high crime or similar.

But clearly I forgot how some people treat gun ownership in such a casual manner.

I mean why on earth would you have the thing in your handbag, or lying around in the car or whatever?

It's just fecking insane. What do these people think will bloody well happen?
[Post edited 7 Jun 2022 22:51]

....or in a Paw Patrol Backpack

'In August 2021, another two-year-old child found a gun that had been left in a Paw Patrol backpack and fatally shot his mother in the head while she was taking part in a video conference.'
Wow!! on 22:52 - Jun 7 with 1313 viewsjeera

Wow!! on 22:50 - Jun 7 by Eireannach_gorm

....or in a Paw Patrol Backpack

'In August 2021, another two-year-old child found a gun that had been left in a Paw Patrol backpack and fatally shot his mother in the head while she was taking part in a video conference.'

Yeah, the madness continues.

Wow!! on 23:14 - Jun 7 with 1270 viewsRyorry

It's the NRA blocking legislation on the banning of assault rifles that really gets me.

I can just about get my head round vulnerable people wanting to carry a secured handgun to last-ditch defend themselves, but why in the name of anything could anyone *legitimately* want an *assault rifle*, which was designed for the military to take out large numbers of people quickly?

America's founding fathers had nothing like that in mind when they wrote "the right to bear arms" - in fact back in they day they had the right to search homes & remove excess firepower - I think households were limited to one single-shot rifle & 24 rounds? Something like that, I read the other day.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Wow!! on 23:51 - Jun 7 with 1231 viewsSwansea_Blue

They could stop that in an instance, if only they had more, bigger guns.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Wow!! on 00:18 - Jun 8 with 1200 viewsCoastalblue

Is that actually true?

I'm not suggesting you're lying but that is so insane I am really, really struggling to believe it.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Wow!! on 00:37 - Jun 8 with 1189 viewsEireannach_gorm

Wow!! on 00:18 - Jun 8 by Coastalblue

Is that actually true?

I'm not suggesting you're lying but that is so insane I am really, really struggling to believe it.

Insane part is the gun owner mentality.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/5/29/inside-the-minds-of-americans-who-dont-
Wow!! on 03:08 - Jun 8 with 1128 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Yes the media don’t tend to report on the ones that happen in the same areas of the same cities daily.

Inner city America is back to 1990s level of violence, which is very worrying. Police have quit in record numbers since 2020 and are firmly on the back foot in the communities that need boots on the ground most.
Wow!! on 06:08 - Jun 8 with 1075 viewsnoggin

Wow!! on 21:47 - Jun 7 by unstableblue

https://news.sky.com/story/gun-laws-more-than-700-people-shot-dead-in-the-us-sin
[Post edited 8 Jun 2022 6:14]

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Wow!! on 06:45 - Jun 8 with 1031 viewsBlue_Order

Freaks.
Wow!! on 07:28 - Jun 8 with 991 viewsOldsmoker

Wow!! on 23:14 - Jun 7 by Ryorry

It's the NRA blocking legislation on the banning of assault rifles that really gets me.

I can just about get my head round vulnerable people wanting to carry a secured handgun to last-ditch defend themselves, but why in the name of anything could anyone *legitimately* want an *assault rifle*, which was designed for the military to take out large numbers of people quickly?

America's founding fathers had nothing like that in mind when they wrote "the right to bear arms" - in fact back in they day they had the right to search homes & remove excess firepower - I think households were limited to one single-shot rifle & 24 rounds? Something like that, I read the other day.

The 2nd amendment was added to the constitution in December 1791.
The first police force in the USA was created in 1838 in Boston.

I'd say that the police force is a 'regulated armed militia' but the individual 'murcan citizen is neither regulated or a militia but just a d*ck with a gun.
The NRA have twisted the interpretation of the 2nd amendment to suit their agenda.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Wow!! on 07:56 - Jun 8 with 953 viewsPinewoodblue

Wow!! on 07:28 - Jun 8 by Oldsmoker

I'd say that the police force is a 'regulated armed militia' but the individual 'murcan citizen is neither regulated or a militia but just a d*ck with a gun.
The NRA have twisted the interpretation of the 2nd amendment to suit their agenda.

NRA May pull the strings but it is The Republican Party that is at fault.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Wow!! on 08:04 - Jun 8 with 940 viewsOldsmoker

Wow!! on 07:56 - Jun 8 by Pinewoodblue

NRA May pull the strings but it is The Republican Party that is at fault.

The Republican party - senators and representatives - always repeat the NRA stance on Guns.
The NRA funds some of the Senators and House Representatives and gets quite a lot of political clout for their bucks.
I think that another reason that the GOP takes this viewpoint is that it "owns the libs" or something. It's really petty but US politics, seen from the outside, is plain nuts.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Wow!! on 10:04 - Jun 8 with 854 viewsRyorry

Wow!! on 07:28 - Jun 8 by Oldsmoker

Which raises the interesting question of what *really* is the agenda of the NRA?

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Wow!! on 14:49 - Jun 8 with 730 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Wow!! on 23:14 - Jun 7 by Ryorry

I completely agree with an assault rifles ban but the vast vast majority of murders are gang related with hand guns
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024