Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ah so airports across Europe are a mess this summer it appears 18:15 - Jun 18 with 8003 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

I guess everyone cheering on international restrictions for two years while happily working on their laptops to are now going to be all angry when it takes them 5 hours to get their luggage this summer.

Funny how that all works when an industry gets decimated eh.
Ah so airports across Europe are a mess this summer it appears on 17:11 - Jun 21 with 509 viewsunbelievablue

Ah so airports across Europe are a mess this summer it appears on 15:36 - Jun 21 by The_Flashing_Smile

So that's it: I KNOW MORE THAN ALL OF YOU SO SHUT UP.

No point to this discussion if that's your fallback option. An appeal to authority.

Appeal to authority fallacy, or just someone who knows a lot about something displaying their expertise? You can be an authority on a subject and biased (in fact, most authorities are) which is my reading of this.
[Post edited 21 Jun 2022 17:13]

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Ah so airports across Europe are a mess this summer it appears on 17:18 - Jun 21 with 482 viewsDanTheMan

Ah so airports across Europe are a mess this summer it appears on 17:11 - Jun 21 by unbelievablue

Appeal to authority fallacy, or just someone who knows a lot about something displaying their expertise? You can be an authority on a subject and biased (in fact, most authorities are) which is my reading of this.

Yeah, appeal to authority basically means that what they say might hold more weight but without evidence it's still basically just an opinion.

Obviously bias comes into it as you say, you'd expect a lot of say fossil fuel companies to know a lot about climate change (and they did) but their words and actions on the subject would suggest the complete opposite due to obvious biases.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Ah so airports across Europe are a mess this summer it appears on 17:20 - Jun 21 with 477 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Ah so airports across Europe are a mess this summer it appears on 17:11 - Jun 21 by unbelievablue

Well no, the difference is in the way you present it. Just look at his mocking OP. People can display their expertise without saying "and because you don't have the same expertise as me your points are invalid," which is what he's done.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_authority#:~:text=An%20argument%20fr

An argument from authority... is a form of argument in which the opinion of an authority on a topic is used as evidence to support an argument.[1] Some consider that it is used in a cogent form if all sides of a discussion agree on the reliability of the authority in the given context,[2][3] and others consider it to always be a fallacy to cite the views of an authority on the discussed topic as a means of supporting an argument.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Ah so airports across Europe are a mess this summer it appears on 17:21 - Jun 21 with 476 viewsunbelievablue

Ah so airports across Europe are a mess this summer it appears on 17:20 - Jun 21 by The_Flashing_Smile

Well no, the difference is in the way you present it. Just look at his mocking OP. People can display their expertise without saying "and because you don't have the same expertise as me your points are invalid," which is what he's done.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_authority#:~:text=An%20argument%20fr

An argument from authority... is a form of argument in which the opinion of an authority on a topic is used as evidence to support an argument.[1] Some consider that it is used in a cogent form if all sides of a discussion agree on the reliability of the authority in the given context,[2][3] and others consider it to always be a fallacy to cite the views of an authority on the discussed topic as a means of supporting an argument.

The OP is at odds with most of the rest of the thread, for sure.

Ah so airports across Europe are a mess this summer it appears on 17:22 - Jun 21 with 467 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Ah so airports across Europe are a mess this summer it appears on 17:21 - Jun 21 by unbelievablue

The OP is at odds with most of the rest of the thread, for sure.

Indeed, and just because he's in the aviation business doesn't mean he's correct. As Dan's pointed out, his bias is very likely to make him the opposite.

Ah so airports across Europe are a mess this summer it appears on 17:25 - Jun 21 with 461 viewsunbelievablue

Ah so airports across Europe are a mess this summer it appears on 17:22 - Jun 21 by The_Flashing_Smile

Indeed, and just because he's in the aviation business doesn't mean he's correct. As Dan's pointed out, his bias is very likely to make him the opposite.

I won't speak for him, but he's in the travel industry rather than the aviation business specifically.

I do feel that the OP was unfortunate as it framed the way certain arguments were later made when in reality there is some fair points in there.

Ah so airports across Europe are a mess this summer it appears on 17:29 - Jun 21 with 452 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Ah so airports across Europe are a mess this summer it appears on 17:25 - Jun 21 by unbelievablue

I won't speak for him, but he's in the travel industry rather than the aviation business specifically.

I do feel that the OP was unfortunate as it framed the way certain arguments were later made when in reality there is some fair points in there.

I don't really see the distinction.

Either way he doesn't want planes grounded (or rather, going by other threads as well, he's not a fan of ANY restrictions).

Ah so airports across Europe are a mess this summer it appears on 17:31 - Jun 21 with 452 viewsunbelievablue

Ah so airports across Europe are a mess this summer it appears on 17:29 - Jun 21 by The_Flashing_Smile

I don't really see the distinction.

Either way he doesn't want planes grounded (or rather, going by other threads as well, he's not a fan of ANY restrictions).

I'll let him answer the last charge, though I know that not to be the case.

Anyway, I'm getting the Eurotunnel in August. Better be slick.

Login to get fewer ads

Ah so airports across Europe are a mess this summer it appears on 17:34 - Jun 21 with 447 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Ah so airports across Europe are a mess this summer it appears on 17:31 - Jun 21 by unbelievablue

Sorry, what I mean is he's had issues with all the various restrictions, not just travel bans. I'm not saying he advocates no restrictions whatsoever. He may well do but I haven't seen that.

Ah so airports across Europe are a mess this summer it appears on 17:49 - Jun 21 with 433 viewsLord_Lucan

Ah so airports across Europe are a mess this summer it appears on 17:31 - Jun 21 by unbelievablue

I got it a couple of weeks ago

It's nothing short of amazing how quickly they get you through 2 x passport controls.

Unfortunately I had three birds on my table who covered it with flasks of home made tea and punnets of grapes and then all went to sleep.
[Post edited 21 Jun 2022 17:57]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Ah so airports across Europe are a mess this summer it appears on 18:05 - Jun 21 with 417 viewsJakeITFC

Ah so airports across Europe are a mess this summer it appears on 09:53 - Jun 21 by clive_baker

Whizzed through Stansted 4 times in the last month personally. No issues at the other end too. Not denying there are problems, I've seen the pictures and read the stories and I know staffing is a real issue, but it does feel very hit and miss. My personal experience has felt no different to pre Covid. Same with passports, 90% of people are still getting them back within 4 weeks, but of course we never hear about the positive experiences. I wouldn't be deterred from flying.
[Post edited 21 Jun 2022 9:55]

I went through Schiphol yesterday and I would say that was as badly organised travel terminus as I've ever experienced anywhere in the world, pre or post covid (and I have had a lot of bad luck in the past with cancelled flights, train strikes and missed connections).
Ah so airports across Europe are a mess this summer it appears on 19:27 - Jun 21 with 377 viewsunbelievablue

Ah so airports across Europe are a mess this summer it appears on 17:49 - Jun 21 by Lord_Lucan

I got it a couple of weeks ago

It's nothing short of amazing how quickly they get you through 2 x passport controls.

Unfortunately I had three birds on my table who covered it with flasks of home made tea and punnets of grapes and then all went to sleep.
[Post edited 21 Jun 2022 17:57]

EuroTUNNEL, milord.

Ah so airports across Europe are a mess this summer it appears on 20:39 - Jun 21 with 346 viewsLord_Lucan

Ah so airports across Europe are a mess this summer it appears on 19:27 - Jun 21 by unbelievablue

EuroTUNNEL, milord.

Well I didn't go over a bridge Joshy!

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Ah so airports across Europe are a mess this summer it appears on 20:47 - Jun 21 with 340 viewsunbelievablue

Ah so airports across Europe are a mess this summer it appears on 20:39 - Jun 21 by Lord_Lucan

Well I didn't go over a bridge Joshy!

Fair point.

Anyway yeah I’m driving to North Italy. Extremely tempted to take up smoking again.

Ah so airports across Europe are a mess this summer it appears on 20:50 - Jun 21 with 333 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Ah so airports across Europe are a mess this summer it appears on 18:05 - Jun 21 by JakeITFC

I went through Schiphol yesterday and I would say that was as badly organised travel terminus as I've ever experienced anywhere in the world, pre or post covid (and I have had a lot of bad luck in the past with cancelled flights, train strikes and missed connections).

It’s a mess and KLM are taking the brunt of it when it’s ground operations more than the airline.
Ah so airports across Europe are a mess this summer it appears on 21:23 - Jun 21 with 317 viewsSwansea_Blue

Ah so airports across Europe are a mess this summer it appears on 19:27 - Jun 21 by unbelievablue

EuroTUNNEL, milord.

Yeah, same here. Pre-Brexit I always found it relatively quick on the way out and a relative nightmare getting back in through the UK passport controls. I’d image the UK bit will still be bad and now there’ll be more queues on the way out, but we’ll see. Def going to leave more time than normal.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024