Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Where are the goals coming from ? 09:40 - Jun 23 with 2741 viewsDMDC

Im really not sure. We have lost Norwood and Bonne. I really cannot see who we have brought in will improve on goals which lets face it was lacking badly last season. Jackson isnt the answer,cannot see what the fuss suddenly is with him.Yes he runs around like a headless chicken and KM seems to like that but he has done that before and has mainly been meh for the best part of 4 years.
Ladapo lve watched on and off for 2 years as was working in Yorkshire. He is a very sulky guy, if he isnt getting fed the ball he stands around for entire games,if he isnt in the team he sulks. He is not the all action guy some seem to think he is. He goes missing a lot.
The youngster from Arsenal is just a punt,lets face it. His goal scoring record is virtually non existent and he doesnt have a lot of experience in first teams on a regular basis. He will be lucky to get 4 goals.
Then there is Pigott,who has been woeful. A traffic cone does more on the pitch than the guy has managed.
l know l will get marked down but l just cannot see where enough goals are coming from. We couldnt score last season l really fail to see where all these extra goals are coming from this season. Not from Leigh or Ball,the latter being an excellent player though.
Where are the goals coming from ? on 10:19 - Jun 23 with 577 viewsSTYG

Where are the goals coming from ? on 10:17 - Jun 23 by noggin

But you're concerned about losing Norwood and Bonne?

This really cemented Budgie status for me:

'I dont want a marquee signing, god knows where that word has even come from over the last couple of years on this site.Im not sure what you even mean by it to be honest.We are a third division club, we arnt getting any names in'.

So he's concerned at the loss of two strikers who didn't score. Not happy with bringing in a proven scorer or one with potential. But also doesn't want a proven / higher level one either that might be a 'marquee' signing.

So he basically seems to want us to stick with players who didn't score, which will alleviate his fears of us not scoring.
Where are the goals coming from ? on 10:22 - Jun 23 with 561 viewsN2_Blue

Feckin hell, it's going to be a long 5 weeks isn't it with posts like this.

Nothing like writing off players that haven't even kicked a ball for us and one that was excellent under Mckenna and outperformed Norwood and Bonne before getting injured.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Where are the goals coming from ? on 10:23 - Jun 23 with 553 viewsSTYG

Where are the goals coming from ? on 10:18 - Jun 23 by Darth_Koont

Pigott.

Slightly tongue in cheek given he’s had a real season to forget. But it might be him.

There were deeper problems with our attack last season, bar the Burns/Donacien combo that masked a lot throughout and the early Bonne flurry that seemed to push us in the wrong direction ultimately.

But overall our attack stuttered throughout. Someone like Pigott wasn’t part of the problem either as it was largely the same with the other central strikers. It was too few games to go on but a change in style with Jackson better able to play wide and threaten with his pace/crossing made us look a lot better.

McKenna certainly has a few new players to try out but the most important thing is that he probably will have been recruiting knowing it’s a system issue rather than anything else. And new players, (the new strikers but also Leigh further back and Ball releasing Morsy further forwards perhaps) should give him a few better options to get that right.

And I’d like to see how Pigott would do in an otherwise functioning attack. He might not get that chance but we all had pretty much no idea Jackson was even an option last season – and now we’ve seen his transformation from playing the wrong role in the wrong team.

But Piggott has absolutely none of the attributes needed in the system we play and there's an entire years worth of evidence to support that.

He looked crap when we played to some of his strengths. Quite simply he's done here, as Phil, Joe and everyone else seems to have suggested to be the case.

Jackson was done here. But McKenna came in and the system suited him. Unless McKenna leaves and we get a dinosaur as a manager or there is an injury crisis, I can't see Piggott playing another competitive minute for us.

Best case is he bags a couple in pre-season and gets some confidence and a League Two club takes a punt on a loan. Even then we will no doubt be paying half his wages.
Where are the goals coming from ? on 10:42 - Jun 23 with 519 viewsDarth_Koont

Where are the goals coming from ? on 10:23 - Jun 23 by STYG

But Piggott has absolutely none of the attributes needed in the system we play and there's an entire years worth of evidence to support that.

He looked crap when we played to some of his strengths. Quite simply he's done here, as Phil, Joe and everyone else seems to have suggested to be the case.

Jackson was done here. But McKenna came in and the system suited him. Unless McKenna leaves and we get a dinosaur as a manager or there is an injury crisis, I can't see Piggott playing another competitive minute for us.

Best case is he bags a couple in pre-season and gets some confidence and a League Two club takes a punt on a loan. Even then we will no doubt be paying half his wages.

To me, Pigott’s confidence looked shot last season. More often than not, he seemed to need an extra touch even when he took the ball in well. And as backup to the initially undroppable Bonne he never had the luxury of playing himself into form.

But you might be absolutely right that he just isn’t good enough for the role we need a central striker to play. But I’m not sure we’ve seen that role yet.

On a similar note, Will Keane wasn’t good enough for us in a similarly non-functioning central role and a stuttering attack. And I’m not sure he would have had anything like his Wigan season if he’d hung around.

But I’m glad I’m not a manager. Getting an attack sorted and strikers playing well and scoring with any consistency still seems like an awful lot of guesswork and ultimately luck. And you may even end up with 4 or 5 of them, none of who are capable of providing the answer. Yikes!

Pronouns: He/Him

Where are the goals coming from ? on 10:43 - Jun 23 with 516 viewsHighgateBlue

Where are the goals coming from ? on 09:57 - Jun 23 by wrightsrightglove

I think it’s a gamble we can afford to take, 5 subs from the bench this season and he’s on loan so minimal fee / wages presumed and if he’s not good enough or on form then he won’t play. Seems very low risk to me, if he was coming in as our number 1 striker then I would understand the trepidation but that’s not the case. Can see Pigott moving on and 1 more being brought in which should have us well stocked in this area.

Yes I think the 5 subs thing will make more of a difference than people have thus far given it credit for. As a Club with the resources to have strength in depth, it's a good thing for us (regardless of whether you think it turns football into ice hockey...). If one assumes that the keeper and three central defenders stay the same, that's 5 of the other 7 potentially changed during the game. Quite a culture shift I think.
Where are the goals coming from ? on 10:45 - Jun 23 with 505 viewsSTYG

Where are the goals coming from ? on 10:42 - Jun 23 by Darth_Koont

To me, Pigott’s confidence looked shot last season. More often than not, he seemed to need an extra touch even when he took the ball in well. And as backup to the initially undroppable Bonne he never had the luxury of playing himself into form.

But you might be absolutely right that he just isn’t good enough for the role we need a central striker to play. But I’m not sure we’ve seen that role yet.

On a similar note, Will Keane wasn’t good enough for us in a similarly non-functioning central role and a stuttering attack. And I’m not sure he would have had anything like his Wigan season if he’d hung around.

But I’m glad I’m not a manager. Getting an attack sorted and strikers playing well and scoring with any consistency still seems like an awful lot of guesswork and ultimately luck. And you may even end up with 4 or 5 of them, none of who are capable of providing the answer. Yikes!

The thing is with Keane though is he always looked like he had a touch of quality about him.

Even when he wasn't scoring, he was going close with headers, getting decent shots in and going just wide with a decent volley or chip or something that showed he had something about him.

I saw every home game, most away and watched the others on iFollow in full the day or two after the away matches I missed and after September, saw nothing from Piggott. First few months there was the odd bit of close control that looked decent and later in the season he hit the post a couple of times, but the rest of the time he wandered around looking like a competition winner.

I still think we will end up with someone for £2m or so. Think a Stewart type of 'bloody hell, he's good, he's the missing piece' type striker will happen before Bolton.
Where are the goals coming from ? on 10:45 - Jun 23 with 507 viewswkj

Very rarely do we start squad building this early into a window. There is an awful lot of pearl clutching going on when we'd usually be still waiting for the squad to fill out in previous seasons.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Where are the goals coming from ? on 10:49 - Jun 23 with 493 viewsGuthrum

Where are the goals coming from ? on 10:43 - Jun 23 by HighgateBlue

Yes I think the 5 subs thing will make more of a difference than people have thus far given it credit for. As a Club with the resources to have strength in depth, it's a good thing for us (regardless of whether you think it turns football into ice hockey...). If one assumes that the keeper and three central defenders stay the same, that's 5 of the other 7 potentially changed during the game. Quite a culture shift I think.

One of our strengths last season was being able to bring considerable power off the bench later in games.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Login to get fewer ads

Where are the goals coming from ? on 10:52 - Jun 23 with 487 viewsDinDjarin

We were lacking goals last season as you say and we have released 2 of our strikers which were part of the problem. Neither of whom fitted our system.

The only striker who did got injured and missed most of the games KM was here.

You are not making any sense.
Where are the goals coming from ? on 11:01 - Jun 23 with 456 viewswrightsrightglove

Where are the goals coming from ? on 10:43 - Jun 23 by HighgateBlue

Yeah I said on another thread that it opens up the door to rugby style ‘finishers’ and, with our resources, it can and should be managed to give us a real advantage over most other teams in the league.
Where are the goals coming from ? on 11:07 - Jun 23 with 449 viewsBonneNIL

Another post highlighting problems downvoted and ridiculed for no real reason. I know the myth is Bonne was bad and offside all of the time, and Norwood was an out-of-shape gobshy.. but that's what 23-24 goals we have lost. We have also lost Celina.

My concern is McKenna is far too conservative in his approach and hasn't addressed the goal issue so far, which was our biggest problem since he took over.

For me, the honeymoon is over for Gamechanger, Ashton, and McKenna, I am going to be asking questions, and should nothing improve, expect action to rectify it.

Poll: Best Adidas Home Shirt of the Modern Era

Where are the goals coming from ? on 11:09 - Jun 23 with 441 viewsnoggin

Where are the goals coming from ? on 11:07 - Jun 23 by BonneNIL

Another post highlighting problems downvoted and ridiculed for no real reason. I know the myth is Bonne was bad and offside all of the time, and Norwood was an out-of-shape gobshy.. but that's what 23-24 goals we have lost. We have also lost Celina.

My concern is McKenna is far too conservative in his approach and hasn't addressed the goal issue so far, which was our biggest problem since he took over.

For me, the honeymoon is over for Gamechanger, Ashton, and McKenna, I am going to be asking questions, and should nothing improve, expect action to rectify it.

"For me, the honeymoon is over for Gamechanger, Ashton, and McKenna, I am going to be asking questions, and should nothing improve, expect action to rectify it."

How long have you been on the board?

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Where are the goals coming from ? on 11:12 - Jun 23 with 431 viewschicoazul

Goals are the thing that really worries me too. We need 20 more goals than we got last season and have lost Bonne Celina and Norwood who got 25 odd between them. There doesn’t seem to be much in the way of goals in midfield either. Someone needs to have an amazing season or we need 6 or 7 players to get into double figures and I don’t have much hope of that outside of Ladapo Burns and Chaplin.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Where are the goals coming from ? on 11:18 - Jun 23 with 419 viewswrightsrightglove

The transfer window is barely open and bed wetting like this is already happening?? I’d take Ladapo over either Norwood or Bonne in a heartbeat given he’s a consistent goal scorer at this level who fits our system well. There’s also an entire transfer window to go where all sorts of things can change.

It’s right to be able to question Gamchanger, Ashton and McKenna if they’re not performing but what exactly are you upset about? That we’re a few days into the transfer window and we’ve signed 3 solid, experienced players and one young lad with potential? Honestly some of our fans don’t deserve nice things
Where are the goals coming from ? on 11:20 - Jun 23 with 398 viewschicoazul

Where are the goals coming from ? on 10:52 - Jun 23 by DinDjarin

We were lacking goals last season as you say and we have released 2 of our strikers which were part of the problem. Neither of whom fitted our system.

The only striker who did got injured and missed most of the games KM was here.

You are not making any sense.

Seeing a lot of similar talk about systems on here. Play whatever system you like but if we don’t score goals we don’t get promoted.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Where are the goals coming from ? on 11:26 - Jun 23 with 382 viewsGuthrum

Where are the goals coming from ? on 11:12 - Jun 23 by chicoazul

Goals are the thing that really worries me too. We need 20 more goals than we got last season and have lost Bonne Celina and Norwood who got 25 odd between them. There doesn’t seem to be much in the way of goals in midfield either. Someone needs to have an amazing season or we need 6 or 7 players to get into double figures and I don’t have much hope of that outside of Ladapo Burns and Chaplin.

As I've said elsewhere, I think getting our players to shoot more often and with confidence will make a lot of difference.

Numerous times we got the ball up to the edge of the opposition penalty area, then ran across the face of it and passed out wide without even having a go. Then didn't put the bodies in the box to get on the end of a cross. Or put the effort wide. Or weakly straight at the 'keeper.

Burns scored 12 because he was prepared to let fly when he thought there was an opportunity.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Where are the goals coming from ? on 11:31 - Jun 23 with 371 viewsSTYG

No. It's 5 goals we have lost from the start of November! It's 5 goals from the half a season McKenna took over and played a different system, the one that'll be used this year.

How would you have liked McKenna, outside the transfer window, to have addressed the goal issue? We were almost impossible to score against, created loads of chances (19 v Cheltenham and 23 v Morecambe in back to back games) and the strikers couldn't put them away. The same strikers we have now got rid of.

Too conservative? Again, 42 chances in those two matches! We were barely conceding and creating enough to have justifiably beaten Plymouth and Portsmouth (two form teams) 4-0. We won 1-0 and drew 0-0 though. Not because we were conservative.

The honeymoon is over LMAO. The new owners took over with Cook in place. They brought their own man in in December and he promptly turned us into the best side in the division over the first 12 games or so, with players he didn't necessarily want, in a new system, turned us into promotion contenders over the first 18 games and we tailed off a bit when the playoffs were out of reach.

Gamechanger have had 6 months with their manager. He's had 6 months and got us to about 5th in the form table, with no strikers who could score, imbalances in the squad and an entirely new system and you've decided that the honeymoon is over.

I appreciate you're like an Diet ElephantInTheRoom but even for you this is poor.
Where are the goals coming from ? on 11:31 - Jun 23 with 365 viewsSTYG

Where are the goals coming from ? on 11:26 - Jun 23 by Guthrum

As I've said elsewhere, I think getting our players to shoot more often and with confidence will make a lot of difference.

Numerous times we got the ball up to the edge of the opposition penalty area, then ran across the face of it and passed out wide without even having a go. Then didn't put the bodies in the box to get on the end of a cross. Or put the effort wide. Or weakly straight at the 'keeper.

Burns scored 12 because he was prepared to let fly when he thought there was an opportunity.

Both Ladapo and John-Jules have shown that they can frequently get shots off early and will do so.
Where are the goals coming from ? on 11:38 - Jun 23 with 352 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

He's been downvoted because it's still ridiculously early to start worrying about signings.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Where are the goals coming from ? on 11:40 - Jun 23 with 349 viewsDyland

Where are the goals coming from ? on 10:04 - Jun 23 by DMDC

l hope you are right, really do, but l cannot see 2 strikers getting into double figures from what we have at the moment.Having said that it was not all the strikers faults, we didnt create enough for them to feed on neither. Have we addressed that ? Im not sure we have ? Queue old matey to accuse me of being a Scum supporter again !

"Having said that it was not all the strikers faults, we didnt create enough for them to feed on neither."

You've blown it there. Unless you didn't use your ST last season after Cook went....

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Where are the goals coming from ? on 11:42 - Jun 23 with 328 viewshype313

We're 5 weeks away from the start of the season.

Have a lie down.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Where are the goals coming from ? on 11:42 - Jun 23 with 328 viewsIllinoisblue

Your last paragraph has strong “I demand to see the manager” vibes. Anyone pulling that card, well, we know what you are.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Where are the goals coming from ? on 11:45 - Jun 23 with 317 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Where are the goals coming from ? on 11:26 - Jun 23 by Guthrum

Yeah I've been saying this a while too - just shoot FFS. The keepers are generally not all that at this level, so it makes absolute sense to have more of a pop than we do.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Where are the goals coming from ? on 11:52 - Jun 23 with 308 viewsOldFart71

It's always difficult to predict whether a striker will score goals. Town have over the years had many superb strikers. Ray Crawford, Ted Phillips, David Johnson x 2, Paul Mariner, Trevor Whymark, Marcus Stewart, Alan Brazil etc. Even in the Premier League top class strikers are pretty rare such as Mo Salah and Kung Aguero. We thought that Norwood would be great and had hopes of Pigott after a 20 goal season, but due to injury and lack of form neither were even considered as regularly in the team. I would have like to have seen a former Premier League striker with someone from the lower leagues of Italy or Spain. But what do I know ? I trust McKenna implicitly.
gmpf on 11:52 - Jun 23 with 312 viewsDyland

"I am going to be asking questions"

lollers

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024