Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone else find the Southend friendly odd? 10:08 - Jul 21 with 1452 viewscbower

Unless it's U23s and fringe (but it's not on Phil's fixture list as that), why play a game just a few days before the big kick off?

bluescouser

Anyone else find Southend odd? on 10:14 - Jul 21 with 1367 viewsKeno

Let me edit that title for you

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Anyone else find the Southend friendly odd? on 10:16 - Jul 21 with 1361 viewsportmanking

I'll be gobsmacked if it's not a game for fringe players.
Anyone else find the Southend friendly odd? on 10:17 - Jul 21 with 1355 viewsitfcsuth

Believe it is still first team, but think it may give an indication as to who will start at Bolton, because I don't think they will get too many minutes v Southend, and will get a lot minutes v Millwall.

Something like:
Hladky
El Miz - Burgess - Ndaba
KVY - Evans - Harper - Penney
Aluko - Edwards
TJJ (or Jackson)

Really shows strength in depth there.
Anyone else find the Southend friendly odd? on 10:17 - Jul 21 with 1349 viewsunstableblue

I am assuming Millwall is going to see our starting 11 (or close to it start) and that set of players playing quite a lot of the game. With the system for Bolton in place.

And then I can’t quite work out if Southend is:

A) another chance for that 11 to get a competitive game under their belts, fully gel the 11 and system, and probably give a half or 30mins to those key sub players - Jackson, JJ, Aluko, KVY
B) a chance for the second 11 players (or at least the forwards) to start and keep involved and sharp

The pros and cons of the two are benefit of sharpness, integration and readiness as a team against risk of fatigue and injury.

So I can’t answer your question, but don’t think it will be the U23.

I’m just trying to remove the blue opiate addiction needs and NOT go… enjoyed West Ham, but I want my next fix to be the good sh!t. In what is looking like nearly a full house, despite strikes. Away end will not be full.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Anyone else find the Southend friendly odd? on 10:18 - Jul 21 with 1341 viewsGuthrum

It's the same distance ahead of the opening game as you would get with a Tuesday-Saturday sequence. So it may be to obtain a headstart on getting into rhythm for the season.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Anyone else find the Southend friendly odd? on 10:25 - Jul 21 with 1303 viewsSTYG

I actually think McKenna looks to have been really clever in what he's done in pre-season.

Time will tell, but we've had three games against Top 10-12 Premier League sides, two of whom are in the Top 6. That's very good to look at what we need to work on out of possession and how we can get punished, given in McKenna's time we pretty much had the lions share of possession in every match. But also top teams that allowed us to play to see how we can break top teams down.

If we can do it against them we can do it anyone in League One. Interestingly, we scored against Arsenal, Palace and West Ham and had spells in the latter two where we controlled the game for large periods. That'll give the players huge confidence.

We've also got minutes into players, worked on relationships, got a few games in where we will dominate. Wimbledon was a good chance to get confidence up and get a few goals.

Millwall is a tough test which is what we need ahead of Bolton and the real deal and gives us a look at what the team may well be and Southend gives us a chance to get confidence up further, get minutes into one or two that are lacking ahead of Bolton and potentially get relationships a little more settled as well.

Makes a nice change from being half-arsed against Irish teams and one meaningful friendly. We've played pretty much every match after Needham needing a really high intensity and work rate, defensively in half and offensively in the other half.
Anyone else find the Southend friendly odd? on 10:27 - Jul 21 with 1283 viewsSitfcB

I was thinking about this the other day, think it’s quite a good move, would’ve been planned exactly how they wanted it, it’s only a run about with a non league team.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Anyone else find Southend odd? on 10:28 - Jul 21 with 1267 viewsSwansea_Blue

Anyone else find Southend odd? on 10:14 - Jul 21 by Keno

Let me edit that title for you

Beaten to it again

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

Anyone else find the Southend friendly odd? on 10:28 - Jul 21 with 1237 viewsSwansea_Blue

Anyone else find the Southend friendly odd? on 10:16 - Jul 21 by portmanking

I'll be gobsmacked if it's not a game for fringe players.

When's the first mickey mouse cup game? It could be a warm up for that as much as anything.

Anyone else find the Southend friendly odd? on 10:31 - Jul 21 with 1203 viewsPhilTWTD

Anyone else find the Southend friendly odd? on 10:17 - Jul 21 by unstableblue

I am assuming Millwall is going to see our starting 11 (or close to it start) and that set of players playing quite a lot of the game. With the system for Bolton in place.

And then I can’t quite work out if Southend is:

A) another chance for that 11 to get a competitive game under their belts, fully gel the 11 and system, and probably give a half or 30mins to those key sub players - Jackson, JJ, Aluko, KVY
B) a chance for the second 11 players (or at least the forwards) to start and keep involved and sharp

The pros and cons of the two are benefit of sharpness, integration and readiness as a team against risk of fatigue and injury.

So I can’t answer your question, but don’t think it will be the U23.

I’m just trying to remove the blue opiate addiction needs and NOT go… enjoyed West Ham, but I want my next fix to be the good sh!t. In what is looking like nearly a full house, despite strikes. Away end will not be full.

I asked KMc after the Wimbledon game whether it would be close to what he sees as his best XI but he doesn't look at things like that. See the end of this.

McKenna: Two Good Games 16th Jul 2022 17:57
Town boss Kieran McKenna has reflected on today’s two friendlies, the 4-2 loss at Crystal Palace and the 3-0 win at AFC Wimbledon, and looked forward to the Blues’ next friendly at Millwall next Saturday. 5

Anyone else find the Southend friendly odd? on 10:31 - Jul 21 with 1191 viewsSTYG

Anyone else find the Southend friendly odd? on 10:28 - Jul 21 by Swansea_Blue

When's the first mickey mouse cup game? It could be a warm up for that as much as anything.

It is.

We are playing a team supported exclusively by chavvy Essex teenagers who have a hatred of a big team up the road that don't know they even exist in preparation for a League Cup game.

Against a team supported exclusively by chavvy Essex teenagers who have a hatred of a big team up the road that only know they exist because their entire squad is made up of their cast offs.
Anyone else find the Southend friendly odd? on 10:34 - Jul 21 with 1169 viewsitfcjoe

Guess want to get 90 minutes into most of the players so half will play v Millwall and the other half v Southend - and think that will likely show how team vs Bolton will line up, and then how team v Col U in the Carabao will do so

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Anyone else find the Southend friendly odd? on 10:36 - Jul 21 with 1123 viewsSwansea_Blue

Anyone else find the Southend friendly odd? on 10:31 - Jul 21 by STYG

It is.

We are playing a team supported exclusively by chavvy Essex teenagers who have a hatred of a big team up the road that don't know they even exist in preparation for a League Cup game.

Against a team supported exclusively by chavvy Essex teenagers who have a hatred of a big team up the road that only know they exist because their entire squad is made up of their cast offs.

Ah yes of course, I'd forgotten we've got Colchester. There's a need to get the whole squad up to speed straight away isn't there with league and likely 2nd string cup match in the first 10 days. I see no problem with how we're approaching it. I'm not sure I'm going to pay much attention the the Colchest match anyway (but that may change once the season kicks off).

Anyone else find the Southend friendly odd? on 10:40 - Jul 21 with 1101 viewsunstableblue

Anyone else find the Southend friendly odd? on 10:31 - Jul 21 by PhilTWTD

I asked KMc after the Wimbledon game whether it would be close to what he sees as his best XI but he doesn't look at things like that. See the end of this.

McKenna: Two Good Games 16th Jul 2022 17:57
Town boss Kieran McKenna has reflected on today’s two friendlies, the 4-2 loss at Crystal Palace and the 3-0 win at AFC Wimbledon, and looked forward to the Blues’ next friendly at Millwall next Saturday. 5

Thanks Phil. Someone shared that final line on a thread about selections the other day.

It does worry me a little; I think he changed the front line too much in my view last season, with. It enough game time for Chaplin for one. Also I think he does have a fixed 7 players, with the back 6 and Morsy. Strikers and wingers sometimes need to play into form.

I do like the idea of a regular front 3 switch at 70mins to either see a game out or get an elusive goal. Aluko, JJ, Jackson coming in with a switch in play.

But I don’t like changing our team/method to suit the opposition, maybe against the top 2-4 teams, and definitely in the Championship, but this is League One.

But we shall see.

What do you think about ‘no such thing as a preferred 11 concept’?

And what’s your feeling on the current squad and our chances? I have a sneaky feeling Bolton is going to be a challenge.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Anyone else find the Southend friendly odd? on 10:41 - Jul 21 with 1092 viewsRadlett_blue

League Cup 1st round v Colchester on 9th August. So makes sense to give the shadow XI the Southend friendly.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Anyone else find the Southend friendly odd? on 10:49 - Jul 21 with 1015 viewsSitfcB

Pizza cup or energy drink cup?

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Anyone else find the Southend friendly odd? on 13:34 - Jul 21 with 717 viewsSharkey

It’s perhaps odd that it’s at home, but most clubs want a mix of games where they’ll have most of the ball and games where the opposition will have most of the ball. The National League is not a huge drop from league 2 ( and I reckon Southend are as good as Colchester right now.)

I really don’t understand the snotty attitude of many fans to the league cup. It’s as if people don’t like the chance to go to places like Stamford Bridge or Old Trafford. I mean at the end of last season was anyone saying ‘ thank goodness we lost against Newport or we’d have finished lower still because we’d have been exhausted!’ Just get through a round or two and inject some glamour into the autumn fixture list.
Anyone else find the Southend friendly odd? on 13:40 - Jul 21 with 684 viewsEssexBloo

Is it to check whether the big screen works? (is it ready yet!?)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024