Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Style of Play 16:23 - Aug 7 with 1825 viewsSheffordBlue

Obviously only a sample size of two for this season but we are currently moving the ball forward more quickly and making fewer passes in build up play. Will be interesting to see how this develops over the season.

Passes per sequence

21/22 - 3.38
22/23 - 2.46

Sequence Length
21/22 - 8.92
22/23 - 5.75

Direct Speed
21/22 - 1.32
22/23 - 1.62

Stats for the Opta Data Hub.

https://theanalyst.com/eu/2022/06/english-league-one-2021-22-stats

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

Style of Play on 14:42 - Aug 8 with 1467 viewsPioneerBlue

Interesting to keep an eye on this as the season ramps. The first two games have been quite different but follow similar games to last season, 1 high press by a team that wanted to take the game to us, 2 low block by a team under our cosh.

The faster build up is presumably quite an effective way to beat the low block, moving the ball quicker therefore countering the opposition from organising. The slower our build up, like last season, the easier it is for the opposition to set themselves defensively.

We may be learning how to counter the opposition threats.

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

Style of Play on 15:14 - Aug 8 with 1402 viewsJakeITFC

I haven't seen us yet this season, but am excited that we seem to be more pacy and direct on paper - the pressing numbers look especially good (and you'd feel with our squad depth and ability to rotate with 5 subs that we'll be able to maintain it).

Saturday v Milton Keynes will be an interesting test - both teams like to dominate the ball and territory, be keen to see what they'll do shape wise against our wing-backs.
Style of Play on 15:35 - Aug 8 with 1349 viewsSTYG

Talking of stats we have 32 recoveries in the opposition half, which is four more than the team in second. Few teams on 28, 27, 26 etc. This is across the EFL.

Looks like we absolutely excel on that and Lee Evans seems to be leading the way. He had 8 alone on Saturday apparently.

That's also very promising.
Style of Play on 15:59 - Aug 8 with 1299 viewsJon_456

Style of Play on 15:35 - Aug 8 by STYG

Talking of stats we have 32 recoveries in the opposition half, which is four more than the team in second. Few teams on 28, 27, 26 etc. This is across the EFL.

Looks like we absolutely excel on that and Lee Evans seems to be leading the way. He had 8 alone on Saturday apparently.

That's also very promising.

We also average the highest shots pg taken and the lowest shots pg conceded.

Seem to be ticking all the right boxes on paper so far this season, albeit only two games in.
Style of Play on 16:04 - Aug 8 with 1275 viewsnoggin

Warranted or not, watching us play out from the back, still gives me uncomfortable palpitations.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Style of Play on 16:08 - Aug 8 with 1243 viewsFrimleyBlue

Style of Play on 16:04 - Aug 8 by noggin

Warranted or not, watching us play out from the back, still gives me uncomfortable palpitations.

Think that stands for any side even prem sides. Lost count the number of goals conceded from mistakes at the back.. I guess the reward when it goes right is a higher %, but I'm with you where it makes for uncomfortable viewing.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Style of Play on 16:55 - Aug 8 with 1184 viewsJDB23

The zones of control from this season is interesting, us and MK are by far the most dominant teams across the pitch. Probably not much of a surprise but interesting to see. Just need to capitalise on all of that control.

Link for this season's stats if too lazy to get there from the OP: https://theanalyst.com/eu/2022/08/league-one-stats-2022-23/
Style of Play on 17:15 - Aug 8 with 1120 viewsmonty_radio

Don't know how they decide to measure speed, but, much as I love Celina, and his goal is one of the outstanding things from the last decade (not much competition, I know!) still, players of his ilk, and I'd include Grealish in that, tend to slow play down while looking to pick out the perfect run.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Login to get fewer ads

Style of Play on 18:53 - Aug 8 with 992 viewsSheffordBlue

Style of Play on 16:55 - Aug 8 by JDB23

The zones of control from this season is interesting, us and MK are by far the most dominant teams across the pitch. Probably not much of a surprise but interesting to see. Just need to capitalise on all of that control.

Link for this season's stats if too lazy to get there from the OP: https://theanalyst.com/eu/2022/08/league-one-stats-2022-23/

Last season we bettered everyone on that and I think when we've averaged it out over a few games we'll be close to MK.

Style of Play on 18:59 - Aug 8 with 969 viewsMeadowlark

Just from watching, I thought our movement of the ball was a bit slow and ponderous at times on Saturday. Too many touches, not enough first time balls, but what do I know...?
Style of Play on 20:04 - Aug 8 with 875 viewscbower

Style of Play on 14:42 - Aug 8 by PioneerBlue

Interesting to keep an eye on this as the season ramps. The first two games have been quite different but follow similar games to last season, 1 high press by a team that wanted to take the game to us, 2 low block by a team under our cosh.

The faster build up is presumably quite an effective way to beat the low block, moving the ball quicker therefore countering the opposition from organising. The slower our build up, like last season, the easier it is for the opposition to set themselves defensively.

We may be learning how to counter the opposition threats.

Having a few players in various parts of the pitch who can actuall carry the ball forwards will also make a difference. When you watch the pace top sides go forward when they turnover possession, it's something we need to copy. The days of a ponderous Skuse (who did HIS job well tho) Judge and the like cutting back for a sideways / backwards ball to slow everything down were frustrating to say the least.

bluescouser

Style of Play on 20:12 - Aug 8 with 845 viewsDavoIPB

Style of Play on 20:04 - Aug 8 by cbower

Having a few players in various parts of the pitch who can actuall carry the ball forwards will also make a difference. When you watch the pace top sides go forward when they turnover possession, it's something we need to copy. The days of a ponderous Skuse (who did HIS job well tho) Judge and the like cutting back for a sideways / backwards ball to slow everything down were frustrating to say the least.

We looked much quicker going forward on Saturday. However we do look like a league 1 side, last season we looked like a championship side just lacking in the final third. However think we are now more suited to getting out of this league.
Style of Play on 20:51 - Aug 8 with 786 viewsSheffordBlue

Style of Play on 20:12 - Aug 8 by DavoIPB

We looked much quicker going forward on Saturday. However we do look like a league 1 side, last season we looked like a championship side just lacking in the final third. However think we are now more suited to getting out of this league.

Will be interesting to see how we develop. I think it may end up being a bit of mix of both styles - playing the slow build up play at times and against certain oppositions but with some bursts of pace/quicker balls thrown into the mix.

Style of Play on 21:15 - Aug 8 with 748 viewsVeggie

We also appear to finally be matching other teams on the ‘dark arts’ side of things. It’s vital to be able to eat up time when defending a slender lead and to know when to slow the game down to take the pressure off. Morsy is the main catalyst for this, but I noticed Chaplin and TJJ also joining in.
Style of Play on 21:22 - Aug 8 with 736 viewsElderGrizzly

Style of Play on 20:51 - Aug 8 by SheffordBlue

Will be interesting to see how we develop. I think it may end up being a bit of mix of both styles - playing the slow build up play at times and against certain oppositions but with some bursts of pace/quicker balls thrown into the mix.

And that’s what the better teams do?

Have a plan B. Mix it up depending on opposition or game management phases.
Style of Play on 21:41 - Aug 8 with 708 viewscbower

Style of Play on 21:22 - Aug 8 by ElderGrizzly

And that’s what the better teams do?

Have a plan B. Mix it up depending on opposition or game management phases.

Yep - something Cook just couldn't grasp!

bluescouser

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024