Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Friday EFL fixtures postponed 21:09 - Sep 8 with 5005 viewsSitfcB

Announcement for Saturday tomorrow morning.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Friday EFL fixtures postponed on 08:06 - Sep 9 with 1187 viewsSaigonTractor

Friday EFL fixtures postponed on 21:27 - Sep 8 by J2BLUE

I'm hoping this is the token gesture before Saturday's fixtures go ahead.

By the sounds of it we are not getting a proper bank holiday.

"You still have to go to work but no fun allowed otherwise"

Such a very British way of handling this.
Friday EFL fixtures postponed on 08:07 - Sep 9 with 1184 viewsZXBlue

Friday EFL fixtures postponed on 08:05 - Sep 9 by ZXBlue

Most people don't need to mourn. Most people did not know the lady. The reason for this sort of cancellation seems to be an arbitrary expectation ratehr than anything logical.

Surely, a death should remind us all that we need to make the most of each day, rather than stopping and not doing the normal stuff.

And this obsession with "showing respect", is essentially (and I hesitate to use the phrase) a type of virtue signalling.

Its about showing others that we have "shown respect". Its pretty menaingless really because many will do it purely for appearances, and many will be entirely respectful without feeling the need to "show" everyone.
Friday EFL fixtures postponed on 08:08 - Sep 9 with 1170 viewsZXBlue

Friday EFL fixtures postponed on 07:47 - Sep 9 by Mookamoo

Those that are ambivalent towards the royals have to recognise there are a lot of people that will have been deeply moved by the events of yesterday.

There will be people that don't want to work this weekend.

That's the same in every sector, but we are not about to see Tesco close down for the weekend are we?
Friday EFL fixtures postponed on 08:12 - Sep 9 with 1146 viewstractordownsouth

Friday EFL fixtures postponed on 08:07 - Sep 9 by ZXBlue

And this obsession with "showing respect", is essentially (and I hesitate to use the phrase) a type of virtue signalling.

Its about showing others that we have "shown respect". Its pretty menaingless really because many will do it purely for appearances, and many will be entirely respectful without feeling the need to "show" everyone.

Yep. If people are so adamant that cancelling the football is the only adequate way of showing respect, they can reimburse other peoples’ tickets.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Friday EFL fixtures postponed on 08:37 - Sep 9 with 1056 viewsMookamoo

Friday EFL fixtures postponed on 08:08 - Sep 9 by ZXBlue

That's the same in every sector, but we are not about to see Tesco close down for the weekend are we?

Can you honestly not see the difference or are you just being obtuse?
Friday EFL fixtures postponed on 08:38 - Sep 9 with 1045 viewsZXBlue

Friday EFL fixtures postponed on 08:37 - Sep 9 by Mookamoo

Lots of non essential services will continue.

What is the purpose or benefit of postponing football matches?
Friday EFL fixtures postponed on 08:55 - Sep 9 with 961 viewsportmanking

Friday EFL fixtures postponed on 08:37 - Sep 9 by Mookamoo

If zoos, cinemas, theme parks etc. are allowed to remain open for leisure/entertainment purposes, why can't sports stadia?

Those wanting to stay at home and mourn are free to do so, allowing others to go and pay their respects however they see fit.
Friday EFL fixtures postponed on 09:03 - Sep 9 with 915 viewsMookamoo

Friday EFL fixtures postponed on 08:38 - Sep 9 by ZXBlue

Lots of non essential services will continue.

What is the purpose or benefit of postponing football matches?

I'm not saying there is a benefit, I'm saying there is a reason. Sport is, and always will be, treated differently. Football especially.

It will be interesting to see if the football or cricket make their announcement first.
[Post edited 9 Sep 2022 9:04]
Login to get fewer ads

Friday EFL fixtures postponed on 09:10 - Sep 9 with 870 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Taking the knee, rainbow laces etc - “Keep politics out of football”

Same people:

“Cancel the football, show some respect the Queen has died”
Friday EFL fixtures postponed on 09:11 - Sep 9 with 847 viewsDanTheMan

Friday EFL fixtures postponed on 08:55 - Sep 9 by portmanking

If zoos, cinemas, theme parks etc. are allowed to remain open for leisure/entertainment purposes, why can't sports stadia?

Those wanting to stay at home and mourn are free to do so, allowing others to go and pay their respects however they see fit.

Have to say I agree, if people are upset that's understandable but it seems silly to me to just torpedo people's plans in some weird one-upmanship of who can show the most respect.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Friday EFL fixtures postponed on 09:18 - Sep 9 with 788 viewsBiGDonnie

Friday EFL fixtures postponed on 22:12 - Sep 8 by Pinewoodblue

I’m hoping it will be Monday 19th. Birthday is 18th and will be spending it on a cruise ship. 18th due to anchor off Guernsey which presumably be more or less in lockdown. Monday is a sea day so a funeral on that day wouldn’t be too inconvenient.

You share a birthday with my boy and I think it's going to stop us from going out that evening.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Friday EFL fixtures postponed on 09:39 - Sep 9 with 700 viewsRyorry

Friday EFL fixtures postponed on 08:08 - Sep 9 by ZXBlue

Well my Sainsburys delivery, booked yesterday at approx 12.30pm for a 12-1pm delivery today, has mysteriously vanished into the ether & I've had to rebook for Sunday - the first time this has ever happened for any supermarket delivery I've ever had ...

Poll: Time of the annunciation

Friday EFL fixtures postponed on 10:17 - Sep 9 with 601 viewsN2_Blue

Friday EFL fixtures postponed on 07:47 - Sep 9 by Mookamoo

Those that are ambivalent towards the royals have to recognise there are a lot of people that will have been deeply moved by the events of yesterday.

There will be people that don't want to work this weekend.

Why would anyone not be able to work the weekend for a lady they didn't know?

Have a moment of reflection but to not be able to work is just ridiculous. Grief for someone you don't know i find odd in the extreme.

I'm sad about the news, and was taken back for 5 minutes but today is pretty much a normal day to me. I will also reflect on her life on the day of the funeral.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Friday EFL fixtures postponed on 10:32 - Sep 9 with 560 viewsDyland

Friday EFL fixtures postponed on 09:10 - Sep 9 by SuperKieranMcKenna

Taking the knee, rainbow laces etc - “Keep politics out of football”

Same people:

“Cancel the football, show some respect the Queen has died”

Hypocrisy is what makes us human innit.

RIP Her Maj btw, very sad and emotional. But she would have been appalled by the idea of everything shutting down. Especially the GGs :)

Oh, and COYFB

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Friday EFL fixtures postponed on 10:44 - Sep 9 with 473 viewsbaxterbasics

Never mind the football, they've cancelled Last Night of the Proms! Big sad.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

Friday EFL fixtures postponed on 10:49 - Sep 9 with 452 viewsDyland

Friday EFL fixtures postponed on 07:35 - Sep 9 by NthQldITFC

The things that The Queen represented to me more than anything else were quietness, respect and consideration for people, traditions and the environment we all live in.

I don't really care whether football goes ahead tomorrow or not, because it doesn't really matter. I don't mean that it doesn't really matter in the context of The Queen's death, I mean that it doesn't really matter in the context of those slow, traditional values which she represented to me.

Racing around, shouting out our opinions, and responding to advertising has cost our souls so much peace which perhaps many of us don't even realise we've lost. I'm not actually all that old although I might seem it in the context of my posts on here sometimes, but I do feel that practising the values of my parents' and grandparents' and Her Majesty's eras would do us all the world of good.

I'd love to see Town thrash Cambridge tomorrow, but I can wait and go for a nice long walk with the metaphorical Corgis instead.

Top post buh.

I want the footy to go ahead though, as would her Maj (I reckon). But it hardly matters one way or another, to me anyway.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Friday EFL fixtures postponed on 10:56 - Sep 9 with 428 viewsMookamoo

Friday EFL fixtures postponed on 10:17 - Sep 9 by N2_Blue

Why would anyone not be able to work the weekend for a lady they didn't know?

Have a moment of reflection but to not be able to work is just ridiculous. Grief for someone you don't know i find odd in the extreme.

I'm sad about the news, and was taken back for 5 minutes but today is pretty much a normal day to me. I will also reflect on her life on the day of the funeral.

Yes it seems odd, but grief is there. My neighbour was in floods of tears this yesterday saying how she can't believe it. Quite what she expected of a 96 year old I don't know....

She hasn't gone into work today. Now is not the time for my views, but to leave space for hers.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024