Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Coldest game thread 13:21 - Oct 6 with 5111 viewsSteve_M

Inspired by ITFC Forever and Illy on the Charlton thread, it definitely deserves it's own post:

Birmingham away in October '97, midweek night and it got down to about -5 by the middle of it so must have been below freezing during the match. Finished 1-1, Neil Gregory having a last minute winner disallowed.

Millwall away at Easter 2013 was also really cold, possibly just felt worse because the rest of the weekend had been nice but was then unpleasant. A dull 0-0 that one.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Coldest game thread on 22:20 - Oct 6 with 896 viewsParisBlue

Coldest game thread on 20:39 - Oct 6 by ITFC_Forever

Charlton away 1st Jan 1996, as I was saying on the other thread.

Just turned 22, and we’d been out in London the night before. Two car loads of us drove from our mate’s house in North London, and the other car nearly got taken out by a lorry the driver hadn’t seen when changing lanes, we watched on helplessly.

Then the match was freezing cold (I think Adam Tanner might have scored for us?). Driving home, mate’s car was down to -7 when we dropped someone of in the Capel area.

Most other games had been postponed, was really hoping this would as well. Referee shortened half time and bang on 90mins blew for full time.

Wettest game (another thread?). Sunderland April 92 at Roker Park. I'm still drying out.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2022 22:21]

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Coldest game thread on 22:23 - Oct 6 with 880 viewsgainsboroughblue

Coldest game thread on 22:20 - Oct 6 by ParisBlue

Most other games had been postponed, was really hoping this would as well. Referee shortened half time and bang on 90mins blew for full time.

Wettest game (another thread?). Sunderland April 92 at Roker Park. I'm still drying out.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2022 22:21]

That was game attempt number one at sealing promotion if I recall right. I went to Bristol City on the Sat for attempt 2, then Grimsby at PR the following Tuesday for attempt 3. In a successful season, there were three pretty frustrating games in a row.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2022 22:24]

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Coldest game thread on 22:46 - Oct 6 with 858 viewsBluespeed225

Coldest game thread on 19:22 - Oct 6 by Illinoisblue

Soldier Field is a horrible, dismal stadium where the winds blow in off the lake. But man up, will ya? October is nothing!

In some sort of defence, we hadn't researched the weather there and were taken by surprise! I was wearing a Baracuta harrington, totally useless!
Coldest game thread on 22:48 - Oct 6 with 855 viewsBluespeed225

Honourable mention for Plymouth at home in cup, 93'. Shilton and Steve McCall playing for them, North Stand had NO Bovril!
Coldest game thread on 01:45 - Oct 7 with 815 viewsParisBlue

Coldest game thread on 22:23 - Oct 6 by gainsboroughblue

That was game attempt number one at sealing promotion if I recall right. I went to Bristol City on the Sat for attempt 2, then Grimsby at PR the following Tuesday for attempt 3. In a successful season, there were three pretty frustrating games in a row.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2022 22:24]

I was at uni in Newcastle. I saw 3 games that season, Boro away, Sunderland away, and Sunderland home (having persuaded somebody to drive down for a Tuesday evening game, was a long trip back, cheered up by news of a certain newspaper owner having fallen off his yacht).

3 defeats.

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Coldest game thread on 07:31 - Oct 7 with 771 viewsCanterburyBlue

Coldest game thread on 14:32 - Oct 6 by Mach_foreignBlue

A midweek night at Scunthorpe back in 2009/10 when David Healy scored and and we drew 1-1.

Yeah I was at that..... bloody freezing... so cold it hurt
Coldest game thread on 07:36 - Oct 7 with 769 viewsBondiBlue

Is Helsingborgs away too obvious?

Poll: Which would you accept?

Coldest game thread on 07:51 - Oct 7 with 759 viewsEly_Blue

Coldest game thread on 13:30 - Oct 6 by le2blue

Also, Middlesbrough at home, the one that got called off, was fecking freezing!

It got down to -14c that day

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Login to get fewer ads

Coldest game thread on 08:13 - Oct 7 with 747 viewstextbackup

Coldest game thread on 15:02 - Oct 6 by Basuco

This was my first thought as well, I remember a few lads wore short sleeved Hawaiian shirts at the game, they got a mention on MOTD.

yep, hands up, that was me and a few of my lot..... in our early days! had we had coats on we might have been a bit warmer!

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Coldest game thread on 08:13 - Oct 7 with 749 viewsRadlett_blue

Coldest game thread on 22:46 - Oct 6 by Bluespeed225

In some sort of defence, we hadn't researched the weather there and were taken by surprise! I was wearing a Baracuta harrington, totally useless!

I genuinely don't understand how NFL fans sit for 4 hours outside in Chicago winter weather to watch a game.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Coldest game thread on 09:46 - Oct 7 with 721 viewsgainsboroughblue

Coldest game thread on 01:45 - Oct 7 by ParisBlue

I was at uni in Newcastle. I saw 3 games that season, Boro away, Sunderland away, and Sunderland home (having persuaded somebody to drive down for a Tuesday evening game, was a long trip back, cheered up by news of a certain newspaper owner having fallen off his yacht).

3 defeats.

It was a great season....honest!

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Coldest game thread on 10:17 - Oct 7 with 707 viewsGogs

Personally remember 2. Away at Stoke in about 97 was bone chilling, and the home semi-final of the league cup v Birmingham in 2001 where a chap behind me loudly stated he was 'so cold you could grate cheese on my scrotum'
Coldest game thread on 10:48 - Oct 7 with 702 viewshoppy

Coldest game thread on 10:17 - Oct 7 by Gogs

Personally remember 2. Away at Stoke in about 97 was bone chilling, and the home semi-final of the league cup v Birmingham in 2001 where a chap behind me loudly stated he was 'so cold you could grate cheese on my scrotum'

Did anyone take him up on the offer?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Coldest game thread on 13:35 - Oct 7 with 656 viewsGogs

Coldest game thread on 10:48 - Oct 7 by hoppy

Did anyone take him up on the offer?

not sure tbh. not amongst me and my friends anyway. It was certainly a statement which conjured up a powerful mental image though
Coldest game thread on 14:36 - Oct 7 with 611 viewsBent_double

Coldest game thread on 18:35 - Oct 6 by jeera

We'd be ok on that one.

No one's that stupid, it's not possible.

That game would be my choice. I had the wind coming at me head on and was glad when the fecker was called off.

Haha, just me then. I got about halfway from Yarmouth to Ipswich before I realised I'd forgotten it - too late to turn back, so had to go and buy a fleece top from the shop, which helped a bit.

Couldn't have been happier when the ref called the game off after about 15 mins.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024