Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Coldest game thread 13:21 - Oct 6 with 5112 viewsSteve_M

Inspired by ITFC Forever and Illy on the Charlton thread, it definitely deserves it's own post:

Birmingham away in October '97, midweek night and it got down to about -5 by the middle of it so must have been below freezing during the match. Finished 1-1, Neil Gregory having a last minute winner disallowed.

Millwall away at Easter 2013 was also really cold, possibly just felt worse because the rest of the weekend had been nice but was then unpleasant. A dull 0-0 that one.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Coldest game thread on 15:02 - Oct 6 with 1243 viewsBasuco

Coldest game thread on 13:22 - Oct 6 by textbackup

Middlesbrough away, alun Armstrong 2-0 win.

This was my first thought as well, I remember a few lads wore short sleeved Hawaiian shirts at the game, they got a mention on MOTD.
Coldest game thread on 15:05 - Oct 6 with 1229 viewsRadlett_blue

Coldest game thread on 14:58 - Oct 6 by Ryorry

Can't believe our game v. Leicester in the snow hasn't been mentioned yet, with Scotty winning it for us with his 2 goals! Wanting us to always play in snow became a standing joke on here for months.

Think it was this one -

https://www.11v11.com/matches/ipswich-town-v-leicester-city-18-december-2010-293

Absolutely incredible that (1) the game started, but even more bizarre when (2) the ref took the players off for 10 minutes while it continued to snow & then they went out & finished the game.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Coldest game thread on 15:11 - Oct 6 with 1217 viewsclive_baker

Coldest game thread on 15:05 - Oct 6 by Radlett_blue

Absolutely incredible that (1) the game started, but even more bizarre when (2) the ref took the players off for 10 minutes while it continued to snow & then they went out & finished the game.

Combination of it being on SKY and Keane being our manager I think. Ref absolutely bottled it really.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Coldest game thread on 15:23 - Oct 6 with 1191 viewsCBBlue

Coldest game thread on 13:30 - Oct 6 by le2blue

Also, Middlesbrough at home, the one that got called off, was fecking freezing!

Mine was Middlesborough at home but can't have been the same one as I don't recall ever being at a game that was abandoned. My memory is dreadful but it may have ended 1-1 and was probably mid 90s. What I do remember is it being so cold my jaw froze shut and I literally couldn't talk until we'd been back in the warm car for 20 odd minutes.

Poll: School on Monday - are you sending in your R, Y1 or Y6 kids?

Coldest game thread on 15:36 - Oct 6 with 1168 viewsRyorry

Also, it wasn't desperately cold in temperature iirc, but was bucketing down & we were standing on Grimsby's open terrace the night they (esp Steve Kabba) sliced through us like a hot knife through butter(!) Being drenched felt freezing, but was maybe colder in our hearts than on our skins

Edit - Burley's last match in charge for us, sealed his fate? (iirc).

Was this one iirc -
https://www.11v11.com/matches/grimsby-town-v-ipswich-town-08-october-2002-13912/
[Post edited 6 Oct 2022 15:38]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Coldest game thread on 16:07 - Oct 6 with 1105 viewsSamWhiteUK

I haven't done many away games, but I'm pretty sure Millwall away 2013 was my first, and that was the game I came on here to nominate! My dad and I had to laugh at the stand opposite being named "Cold Blow Lane"
Coldest game thread on 16:09 - Oct 6 with 1104 viewsStenvict

- Scunthorpe away
- Pompey away FA Cup replay, when AMN scored a worldie
- Middlesbrough away a few seasons ago, I think between Xmas and New Year

Poll: What will be announced first?

Coldest game thread on 16:20 - Oct 6 with 1089 viewsbrazil1982

v Swindon (away) a cold December evening in 1991.

Honourable mention to:

Hearts v Partick Thistle, March 2018 in the snow. Took about an hour at least to thaw in the pub after. My mate turned very pale that afternoon. Bordered on unpleasant.
Login to get fewer ads

Coldest game thread on 17:04 - Oct 6 with 1061 viewsVic

First game I played for my village team - temperature was just above freezing and the ground was covered in snow. We cleared the lines so the game could happen. I only went to watch my brother - but the keeper didn't turn up and they asked me to play. he had the keepers kit so i had no shirt to wear and played the first half in a T shirt and wearing wool gloves with the finger tips missing! At half time someone took pity on my and lent me a fleece!

We won, and I kept my place with the keeper moving to centre half. The rest is history!

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Coldest game thread on 17:04 - Oct 6 with 1059 viewsIllinoisblue

Coldest game thread on 16:20 - Oct 6 by brazil1982

v Swindon (away) a cold December evening in 1991.

Honourable mention to:

Hearts v Partick Thistle, March 2018 in the snow. Took about an hour at least to thaw in the pub after. My mate turned very pale that afternoon. Bordered on unpleasant.

Think I was at that Swindon game, 0-0 on a Friday night wasn’t it?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Coldest game thread on 17:12 - Oct 6 with 1056 viewshoppy

That Charlton one was definitely the coldest for me. Body parts either dropping off or being impossible to find.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Coldest game thread on 18:35 - Oct 6 with 996 viewsjeera

Coldest game thread on 14:02 - Oct 6 by Bent_double

Yeah, imagine being stupid enough to forget a coat for that one

We'd be ok on that one.

No one's that stupid, it's not possible.

That game would be my choice. I had the wind coming at me head on and was glad when the fecker was called off.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Coldest game thread on 18:37 - Oct 6 with 994 viewsbenrhyddingblue

Coldest game thread on 17:04 - Oct 6 by Illinoisblue

Think I was at that Swindon game, 0-0 on a Friday night wasn’t it?

Yes, Friday night, open terrace and 0.0 - TWTD
Coldest game thread on 18:59 - Oct 6 with 987 viewsWickhamsLeftBoot

Wigan at home before Christmas 2004/05 season. Barrow at home last season was a cold one.
Coldest game thread on 19:05 - Oct 6 with 979 viewsTrumptonBlue

QPR away, December 98. Last-minute equaliser from Matty H to warm us up, though.
Coldest game thread on 19:07 - Oct 6 with 971 viewsjas0999

Nottingham Forest away in an FA Cup tie in January (1989). Snow on the ground. We lost 3-0. Freezing.
Coldest game thread on 19:18 - Oct 6 with 950 viewsBluespeed225

I was in Chicago, litterally this week, back in 2000 (Last ever game at Wembley was on V Germany), and went to watch Chicago Fire V NY. Ihave never been so cold as that night at Soldier field. I was in pain, the locals (big following of Polish heritage) were in bear skin coats, knocking back vodka. In a bar afterwards it was explained it would only get colder in the coming months!
Coldest game thread on 19:22 - Oct 6 with 942 viewsIllinoisblue

Coldest game thread on 19:18 - Oct 6 by Bluespeed225

I was in Chicago, litterally this week, back in 2000 (Last ever game at Wembley was on V Germany), and went to watch Chicago Fire V NY. Ihave never been so cold as that night at Soldier field. I was in pain, the locals (big following of Polish heritage) were in bear skin coats, knocking back vodka. In a bar afterwards it was explained it would only get colder in the coming months!

Soldier Field is a horrible, dismal stadium where the winds blow in off the lake. But man up, will ya? October is nothing!

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Coldest game thread on 19:58 - Oct 6 with 912 viewsCuffy81

Wigan at home a few seasons ago..

It was freezing rain and blowing in and getting to me on row r in the lower north.

3/4 hits on the port bottle to warm up when i got home
Coldest game thread on 20:39 - Oct 6 with 878 viewsITFC_Forever

Charlton away 1st Jan 1996, as I was saying on the other thread.

Just turned 22, and we’d been out in London the night before. Two car loads of us drove from our mate’s house in North London, and the other car nearly got taken out by a lorry the driver hadn’t seen when changing lanes, we watched on helplessly.

Then the match was freezing cold (I think Adam Tanner might have scored for us?). Driving home, mate’s car was down to -7 when we dropped someone of in the Capel area.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Coldest game thread on 20:51 - Oct 6 with 876 viewsMiaow

The 1-0 win (Freddie Sears with the goal) at home to Paul Cook’s Wigan in the 2018/19 relegation season is up there for me.

The shutters at the North Stand end of the West/Pioneer/Britannia/East of England Co-operative/Magnus Group West Stand were really flapping in the wind.

⋆⋆⋆ My Ipswich Town quizzes: https://www.jetpunk.com/series/1696326/hinckfords-ipswich-town-quizzes ⋆⋆⋆
Poll: Which of this season’s (outfield) shirts do you most prefer?

Coldest game thread on 21:00 - Oct 6 with 863 viewsCuffy81

Coldest game thread on 20:51 - Oct 6 by Miaow

The 1-0 win (Freddie Sears with the goal) at home to Paul Cook’s Wigan in the 2018/19 relegation season is up there for me.

The shutters at the North Stand end of the West/Pioneer/Britannia/East of England Co-operative/Magnus Group West Stand were really flapping in the wind.

This was the game i was referring too. Absolutely baltic
Coldest game thread on 21:02 - Oct 6 with 859 viewsBeattie78

Coldest game thread on 14:58 - Oct 6 by Dublinblu

If that's the game I think it was it was the FA Cup 3rd round in 1978. The match was played on an absolutely frozen pitch and I think the one and only Robin Turner got the equaliser. If I recall correctly, I think the final pitch inspection was at around 1pm and by that time the majority of town fans were in Bristol.
And yep, it was bloody cold!

The game at Eastville was the 5th round in February 1978. We were in a pub and couldn't believe it when we heard the game was going ahead. I had forgotten to take my gloves with me and have never been so cold in over 60 years watching Town.

LexdenBlue62

Coldest game thread on 22:13 - Oct 6 with 791 viewsazuremerlangus

V West Ham - Xmas ‘93

1-1.

Sat at the back of churchmans with my late father-in-law (east londoner born and bred).

Probably not the coldest but I do remember both of us commenting how parky it was that day.

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

Coldest game thread on 22:20 - Oct 6 with 786 viewsgainsboroughblue

The ones that stand out for me

2010 West Brom (h) in League Cup.
1986 Birmingham (h) FA Cup
1989 Barnsley (a) League. Not much warmer in the cup game a few weeks later
1990 Oldham (a)

Forest away a few years back was bloody cold as well. Can't remember the year but I think it was the game where Jonathan Parr scored and Liam Trotter equalised for them late on.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024