Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team 23:48 - Oct 11 with 3483 viewsEireannach_gorm

First time in the World Cup finals after beating Scotland 0-1 in the playoffs. Apt that a Donegal woman got the winning goal after the recent tragedy.

[Post edited 24 Jun 2023 11:23]
Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team on 00:13 - Oct 12 with 2504 viewsSwansea_Blue

Nice. The did better than fellow Celts here in Wales, who were knocked out by Switzerland with a winner after 120 minutes 8 seconds. So close to pens.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team on 08:13 - Oct 12 with 2414 viewsDJR

As a Scotland fan a bit of a disappointment, but fair play to Ireland and good luck. As regards Donegal, it has very close historical, cultural and religious links to Gaelic Scotland, all the result of toings and goings over millenia. The Irish spoken there is similar to Scottish Gaelic, the traditional music also has similarities, and St Columba was born there. As a result, I've always looked rather fondly on it
[Post edited 12 Oct 2022 9:29]
Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team on 13:58 - Oct 12 with 2351 viewsAlamoSam

Congratulations. Pity the whole thing is being marred by horrific sectarian chanting by the team afterwards. Hope they and anyone else involved in this sort of rubbish are slapped with long bans.
Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team on 14:21 - Oct 12 with 2328 viewsGlasgowBlue

A shame they had to ruin it by singing pro IRA songs. I hope they get humped in every WC game they play.
[Post edited 12 Oct 2022 18:51]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team on 14:29 - Oct 12 with 2307 viewsDJR

Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team on 14:21 - Oct 12 by GlasgowBlue

A shame they had to ruin it by singing pro IRA songs. I hope they get humped in every WC game they play.

Far be it for me to comment on matters in Ireland, but for those old enough to remember, back in the 70s a song used to be sung in the North Stand which began "I, I, R, A, Ipswich Republican Army ...". This caused great offence in particular to fans from Birmingham following as it did the Birmingham pub bombings.
Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team on 15:01 - Oct 12 with 2258 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team on 14:21 - Oct 12 by GlasgowBlue

Is it only Rangers and the UDA that do it for you?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team on 15:12 - Oct 12 with 2223 viewsclive_baker

Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team on 14:29 - Oct 12 by DJR

Far be it for me to comment on matters in Ireland, but for those old enough to remember, back in the 70s a song used to be sung in the North Stand which began "I, I, R, A, Ipswich Republican Army ...". This caused great offence in particular to fans from Birmingham following as it did the Birmingham pub bombings.

There's probably a lot of things that were said and done 50 years ago that people wouldn't and shouldn't say now.

Singing songs that are in support of a designated terrorist organisation probably meets that definition. These women are as thick as pig sh1t if they think it's appropriate.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team on 15:21 - Oct 12 with 2195 viewsleitrimblue

GSTK
Login to get fewer ads

Lovely how there are two consecutive posts.... on 15:24 - Oct 12 with 2185 viewsBloots

....that say exactly the same thing, but only GB's merits a response.

Classic TWTD.

AKA - "Elite Pete"

Lovely how there are two consecutive posts.... on 15:30 - Oct 12 with 2159 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Lovely how there are two consecutive posts.... on 15:24 - Oct 12 by Bloots

....that say exactly the same thing, but only GB's merits a response.

Classic TWTD.

I think he's the only one who has been w@nking on about how great Rangers are. GSTK !!

Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team on 15:48 - Oct 12 with 2099 viewsjayessess

Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team on 15:12 - Oct 12 by clive_baker

There's probably a lot of things that were said and done 50 years ago that people wouldn't and shouldn't say now.

Singing songs that are in support of a designated terrorist organisation probably meets that definition. These women are as thick as pig sh1t if they think it's appropriate.

The IRA was also the name of the army that liberated the Republic of Ireland from British rule, so it doesn't always have exactly the same connotation for Irish people (and has a significant presence in Irish folk songs that are about the Irish War of Independence rather than the Troubles, of which Come Out Ye Black and Tans is probably best known).

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team on 16:03 - Oct 12 with 2067 viewsSuperblue95

Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team on 15:12 - Oct 12 by clive_baker

Incredibly ignorant to call the IRA a terrorist organisation.

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team on 16:12 - Oct 12 with 2030 viewsDJR

Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team on 15:48 - Oct 12 by jayessess

The IRA was also the name of the army that liberated the Republic of Ireland from British rule, so it doesn't always have exactly the same connotation for Irish people (and has a significant presence in Irish folk songs that are about the Irish War of Independence rather than the Troubles, of which Come Out Ye Black and Tans is probably best known).

I suppose another way of putting it is that one man's terrorist is another person's freedom fighter. After all, Nelson Mandela was imprisoned for terrorism, and the ANC was regarded as a terrorist organisation for immigration purposes in the US until as late as 2008, but surely no one is suggesting the song "Free Nelson Mandela" shouldn't have been sung.
Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team on 16:15 - Oct 12 with 2024 viewsclive_baker

Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team on 16:03 - Oct 12 by Superblue95

Incredibly ignorant to call the IRA a terrorist organisation.

What's ignorant about it? The IRA was designated a terrorist organisation both in the United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland.

Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team on 16:18 - Oct 12 with 2006 viewsclive_baker

Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team on 16:12 - Oct 12 by DJR

I suppose another way of putting it is that one man's terrorist is another person's freedom fighter. After all, Nelson Mandela was imprisoned for terrorism, and the ANC was regarded as a terrorist organisation for immigration purposes in the US until as late as 2008, but surely no one is suggesting the song "Free Nelson Mandela" shouldn't have been sung.

I don't dispute that as a principle, it's often the case. You can argue the same about ISIS and the like, it doesn't forgive the atrocities such groups commit though.

I don't think any of that changes the fact that to sing songs in support of the IRA in the changing rooms post-match is moronic, and they have to be as thick as mince to think it's acceptable. Glad to see the FAI, managers and players have all apologised for it.

Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team on 16:30 - Oct 12 with 1957 viewsjayessess

Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team on 16:12 - Oct 12 by DJR

I think specifically the history of Britain and Ireland is complicated, and the general level of knowledge about that history is not evenly distributed between the two places. The IRA is used colloquially to refer to three different organisations. The original IRA - the guerrilla army that liberates the Republic of Ireland from the British, the official IRA - the original organisation that formed immediately after the Anglo-Irish Treaty to continue what was ultimately a very low level of armed resistance to the existence of Northern Ireland and the provisional IRA (the one that conducts a multi-decade campaign of bomb attacks that claims the lives of lots of civilians, British and Irish).

Most young Irish people will learn in a fair bit of depth about the whole century of conflict because it's how modern Ireland comes into existence. Most British people won't because it's one independence war amongst many in Britain's 20th Century.

That said, whilst I take the point about perspectives and freedom fighters, you can still make definitive judgements about causes, methods and ideas that separate the ANC from the Provisional IRA.

Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team on 16:43 - Oct 12 with 1914 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team on 15:48 - Oct 12 by jayessess

But shouldn't they just have asked them nicely to leave?

Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team on 16:46 - Oct 12 with 1910 viewsDJR

Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team on 16:30 - Oct 12 by jayessess

I think specifically the history of Britain and Ireland is complicated, and the general level of knowledge about that history is not evenly distributed between the two places. The IRA is used colloquially to refer to three different organisations. The original IRA - the guerrilla army that liberates the Republic of Ireland from the British, the official IRA - the original organisation that formed immediately after the Anglo-Irish Treaty to continue what was ultimately a very low level of armed resistance to the existence of Northern Ireland and the provisional IRA (the one that conducts a multi-decade campaign of bomb attacks that claims the lives of lots of civilians, British and Irish).

Most young Irish people will learn in a fair bit of depth about the whole century of conflict because it's how modern Ireland comes into existence. Most British people won't because it's one independence war amongst many in Britain's 20th Century.

That said, whilst I take the point about perspectives and freedom fighters, you can still make definitive judgements about causes, methods and ideas that separate the ANC from the Provisional IRA.

I certainly bow to your superior knowledge. Interestingly, my parents grew up in Scotland before and during WW2 and they were never taught about Scottish history or even much about the country itself. I imagine it's a bit different now.
[Post edited 12 Oct 2022 16:50]
Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team on 17:11 - Oct 12 with 1848 viewsjayessess

Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team on 16:46 - Oct 12 by DJR

I certainly bow to your superior knowledge. Interestingly, my parents grew up in Scotland before and during WW2 and they were never taught about Scottish history or even much about the country itself. I imagine it's a bit different now.
[Post edited 12 Oct 2022 16:50]

You would hope!

I teach some of the history of Britain and Ireland to university undergraduates and a lot of the time the starting baseline is essentially zero. Makes it difficult to have a conversation about it that isn't wrenching some quite complicated things from all their pre-history and context.

Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team on 17:25 - Oct 12 with 1804 viewsJakeITFC

Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team on 16:30 - Oct 12 by jayessess

There has been a quite patronising attitude towards the Irish girls singing it - one Sky Sports reporter looked especially stupid whilst calling it an education problem.
Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team on 17:45 - Oct 12 with 1765 viewsDJR

Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team on 17:11 - Oct 12 by jayessess

You would hope!

I teach some of the history of Britain and Ireland to university undergraduates and a lot of the time the starting baseline is essentially zero. Makes it difficult to have a conversation about it that isn't wrenching some quite complicated things from all their pre-history and context.

Given my parents were taught about English kings and queens, and English but not Scottish authors, it's probably not surprising that people of that generation tend to be more pro-Union than the younger generations.

It would be interesting to know how British and Irish history is taught in Northern Ireland. I wonder if it is taught differently in Protestant and Catholic schools. Or perhaps it just isn't taught at all, if a common line is needed for the purpose of exams.

The need to inform people properly about history would probably be regarded these days as woke, but it shows to me the importance of things like Black History Month.
Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team on 17:55 - Oct 12 with 1746 viewsDJR

Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team on 17:25 - Oct 12 by JakeITFC

There has been a quite patronising attitude towards the Irish girls singing it - one Sky Sports reporter looked especially stupid whilst calling it an education problem.

I think George Orwell summed up this type of thing perfectly in the following quote.

"At any given moment there is an orthodoxy, a body of ideas which it is assumed that all right-thinking people will accept without question."

These days I am constantly reminded of this quote when voices to the contrary are effectively suppressed in all manner of issues eg. republicanism following the death of the Queen.
Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team on 19:12 - Oct 12 with 1640 viewsEireannach_gorm

This thread has gone off in a direction I was not expecting.
There seems to be a bit of begrudgery from some posters, if the foolish singing of 'up the RA' song in the dressing room is the take away from this. I don't hear any sectarian or derogatory words in the audio clip. I think that Irish manager, Vera Pauw, put it in context in her apology as did the team members.
https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2022/1012/1328693-fai-apologise-for-offensive-so

The wider context has been very accurately explained by jayessess so I wont labour it just to point out that I supported the IRA when they attempted to protect Catholics being burned out of their houses by Loyalists in 1969.
https://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2019/08/06/news/50th-annivers
Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team on 19:23 - Oct 12 with 1613 viewsRedX

Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team on 13:58 - Oct 12 by AlamoSam

Congratulations. Pity the whole thing is being marred by horrific sectarian chanting by the team afterwards. Hope they and anyone else involved in this sort of rubbish are slapped with long bans.

Horrific sectarian chanting?

Get over yourself and educate yourself on Irish history.

There was absolutely no intention of sectarian chanting last night.
Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team on 19:58 - Oct 12 with 1531 viewsjaykay

Congratulations to the Irish Woman's football team on 15:01 - Oct 12 by BanksterDebtSlave

Is it only Rangers and the UDA that do it for you?

i expect jackie charlton would have got some stick from some on here, when he use to lead the irish side singing rebel songs.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024