Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why is there a lack of Town supporters in Suffolk (particularly around Sudbury)? 20:05 - Oct 23 with 4284 viewsOrangeboi373

Before I start, I do want to make it clear that you can support whoever you like, whether prem or non-league, this post is more about curiosity then a rant.

Why are there so many big 6 supports rather than town supporters in Suffolk, especially around the Sudbury area? In primary, I was 1 of 2 Ipswich supporters in my class. Everyone else was a Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal or Liverpool fan, there even was a barca fan. I know in 50s many towns like Sudbury experienced massive growth in population, especially Londoners.

I can understand why there are West Ham or Spurs fans, but not Man City. Why support a team that you probably only see once in a lifetime rather than a team who you can see quite often for less.

I mean, we are a big club, we won a fair few trophies, have a proud history and a large fanbase in Ipswich itself, but not Sudbury.

Maybe because I was in primary, kids like to grab onto big teams because they want success.

Again not a rant, but something that has always boggled my mind.
[Post edited 23 Oct 2022 20:06]

Poll: Scariest Halloween costume

Why is there a lack of Town supporters in Suffolk (particularly around Sudbury)? on 20:09 - Oct 23 with 3247 viewsbazza

Sudbury has a football team you glory hunter.. supporting Ipswich just because we won a fair few trophies !!
Why is there a lack of Town supporters in Suffolk (particularly around Sudbury)? on 20:14 - Oct 23 with 3210 viewsOrangeboi373

Why is there a lack of Town supporters in Suffolk (particularly around Sudbury)? on 20:09 - Oct 23 by bazza

Sudbury has a football team you glory hunter.. supporting Ipswich just because we won a fair few trophies !!

A bit bizzare claim since I've been supporting the club since 2010, the start of the evans era with Keane in charge. Also helps that my family have always supported town (before the day cup and uefa cup) and I'm from Ipswich, moved to Sudbury in 2007 with my family. I also support AFC Sudbury.

I apologise if it was a sarcastic comment

Poll: Scariest Halloween costume

Why is there a lack of Town supporters in Suffolk (particularly around Sudbury)? on 20:17 - Oct 23 with 3191 viewsbazza

Why is there a lack of Town supporters in Suffolk (particularly around Sudbury)? on 20:14 - Oct 23 by Orangeboi373

A bit bizzare claim since I've been supporting the club since 2010, the start of the evans era with Keane in charge. Also helps that my family have always supported town (before the day cup and uefa cup) and I'm from Ipswich, moved to Sudbury in 2007 with my family. I also support AFC Sudbury.

Apology accepted..
Why is there a lack of Town supporters in Suffolk (particularly around Sudbury)? on 20:39 - Oct 23 with 3112 viewssuperblue70

I'm a season ticket holder from sudbury area, 4 season ticket holders in front of me all from sudbury, think most towns in suffolk are very mixed in terms of who people support, will always get more than your fair share of glory hunters much easier to support the big boys.
Why is there a lack of Town supporters in Suffolk (particularly around Sudbury)? on 20:48 - Oct 23 with 3035 viewsgtsb1966

Why is there a lack of Town supporters in Suffolk (particularly around Sudbury)? on 20:14 - Oct 23 by Orangeboi373

There are plenty of Town fans in Sudbury.
Why is there a lack of Town supporters in Suffolk (particularly around Sudbury)? on 20:50 - Oct 23 with 3012 viewsCoastalblue

Why is there a lack of Town supporters in Suffolk (particularly around Sudbury)? on 20:39 - Oct 23 by superblue70

I'm a season ticket holder from sudbury area, 4 season ticket holders in front of me all from sudbury, think most towns in suffolk are very mixed in terms of who people support, will always get more than your fair share of glory hunters much easier to support the big boys.

I'm not sure glory hunters is really fair. I would guess most kids pick their football team at what? 5 or 6 assuming there's no parental pressure? Some maybe a little older.

Football is everywhere now, top players are massive stars, rightly or wrongly and most youngsters are going to have favourite players, most likely international players who they will see on the TV every week, who their mates will be talking about and wanting to emulate in the playground. I think it's fairly natural with the way the game has gone that young kids are going to pick teams and players they are familiar with, probably see on TV every week.

I'm not sure even as a 7 or 8 year old you're going to weigh up whether or not you could go see these teams in the flesh, your only option is most likely to watch football on TV, so why would you pick a side who have no well known players and might be shown once or twice a season, unless of course you are being taken to games.

If Town had been a Prem club for the last 10-15 years then I suspect there would ne a lot more youngsters supporting the club, but unless somebody takes them to games they are never going to see ITFC play, they can probably watch Man City on the box every week.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Why is there a lack of Town supporters in Suffolk (particularly around Sudbury)? on 21:00 - Oct 23 with 2975 viewsMelford

I think it depends on your age, I'm in my 40s and most people my age and older in Melford are Ipswich, probably because we were watching top-flight football or in the play-offs every year challenging for it.

We have 16-18 year old lads at the weekends at work washing up and it's been only been a couple of Town fans in 20 odd we've had in the last couple of years, it's mostly Spurs, Arsenal and West Ham.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Why is there a lack of Town supporters in Suffolk (particularly around Sudbury)? on 21:46 - Oct 23 with 2832 viewssuperblue70

Why is there a lack of Town supporters in Suffolk (particularly around Sudbury)? on 20:50 - Oct 23 by Coastalblue

I'm not sure glory hunters is really fair. I would guess most kids pick their football team at what? 5 or 6 assuming there's no parental pressure? Some maybe a little older.

Football is everywhere now, top players are massive stars, rightly or wrongly and most youngsters are going to have favourite players, most likely international players who they will see on the TV every week, who their mates will be talking about and wanting to emulate in the playground. I think it's fairly natural with the way the game has gone that young kids are going to pick teams and players they are familiar with, probably see on TV every week.

I'm not sure even as a 7 or 8 year old you're going to weigh up whether or not you could go see these teams in the flesh, your only option is most likely to watch football on TV, so why would you pick a side who have no well known players and might be shown once or twice a season, unless of course you are being taken to games.

If Town had been a Prem club for the last 10-15 years then I suspect there would ne a lot more youngsters supporting the club, but unless somebody takes them to games they are never going to see ITFC play, they can probably watch Man City on the box every week.

You may be correct but I've always supported town even though my dad was norwich through and through, both my brothers are scummers as well, and I grew up pretending I was ossie Ardiles after the 78 world Cup, but never liked spurs, maybe I'm the exception to the rule
Login to get fewer ads

Why is there a lack of Town supporters in Suffolk (particularly around Sudbury)? on 21:57 - Oct 23 with 2808 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I would say the lack of prominence of Town fans on the north Suffolk border over the past 5-10 years is no surprise as there has been very little to cheer. However, in the past year I have seen more Town support on show than I have nodge. That is a move in the right direction. You still see the odd Barcelona, Man City and Liverpool ones but there are at least as many Town as them. When I wear Town gear plenty of others who have not got Town gear on show speak as fellow fans too.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Why is there a lack of Town supporters in Suffolk (particularly around Sudbury)? on 22:29 - Oct 23 with 2725 viewsBLUEBEAT

Why is there a lack of Town supporters in Suffolk (particularly around Sudbury)? on 20:48 - Oct 23 by gtsb1966

There are plenty of Town fans in Sudbury.

Plenty of Col U fans too, what with it being nearer.

Poll: W or W

Why is there a lack of Town supporters in Suffolk (particularly around Sudbury)? on 22:54 - Oct 23 with 2648 viewsArnieM

Sudbury is full of London overspill- so not surprised there’s a few London based club supported there.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Why is there a lack of Town supporters in Suffolk (particularly around Sudbury)? on 23:05 - Oct 23 with 2617 viewsbournemouthblue

East to West, Suffolk is joined up particularly badly

It probably takes longer to get from Sudbury to Ipswich than it does to the likes of Colchester, Cambridge, Bury and Braintree etc?

That might be the one reason, the other is that stereotypically, there's a lot of Londoners in that half of Suffolk

Does the London influence have an effect, is it more attractive to support London clubs as an example?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Why is there a lack of Town supporters in Suffolk (particularly around Sudbury)? on 23:26 - Oct 23 with 2559 viewsgainsboroughblue

Why is there a lack of Town supporters in Suffolk (particularly around Sudbury)? on 23:05 - Oct 23 by bournemouthblue

It probably takes longer to get from Sudbury to Ipswich than it does to the likes of Colchester, Cambridge, Bury and Braintree etc?

That might be the one reason, the other is that stereotypically, there's a lot of Londoners in that half of Suffolk

Does the London influence have an effect, is it more attractive to support London clubs as an example?

Sudbury is a bit cut off really. It's in that kind of Colchester, Bury, Ipswich triangle and not particularly well connected to any of them.

I think you'd have to get to Marks Tey on the train before you even start to head towards Ipswich.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Why is there a lack of Town supporters in Suffolk (particularly around Sudbury)? on 23:44 - Oct 23 with 2528 viewsbournemouthblue

Why is there a lack of Town supporters in Suffolk (particularly around Sudbury)? on 23:26 - Oct 23 by gainsboroughblue

Sudbury is a bit cut off really. It's in that kind of Colchester, Bury, Ipswich triangle and not particularly well connected to any of them.

I think you'd have to get to Marks Tey on the train before you even start to head towards Ipswich.

I believe there was once a line that went to Ipswich, presumably cut in Doctor Breeching's cuts?

There's definitely an abandoned railway line you can walk along, no idea where it actually went though?

A train to Cambridge via Sudbury & Haverhill from Ipswich would make sense

An actual main road, East to West for South Suffolk too would be nice

I suspect it's asking too much, given the A12 to Lowestoft isn't even dual carriageway for most of the way, which I find staggering given it's Suffolk's second biggest Town

Why is there a lack of Town supporters in Suffolk (particularly around Sudbury)? on 23:58 - Oct 23 with 2504 viewsbackinbeige

Born in July 1985 and growing up in Essex, I was nine years old when Ipswich lost 9-0.

To this day I remain staggered at how many kids in the playground revealed themselves as Man Utd fans on Monday morning.
[Post edited 24 Oct 2022 0:39]

RVRB: https://app.rvrb.one/channels/have-guitar-will-listen - Listen to music when WFH, set your own music to DJ and find new recommendations from others

Why is there a lack of Town supporters in Suffolk (particularly around Sudbury)? on 00:04 - Oct 24 with 2499 viewsgainsboroughblue

Why is there a lack of Town supporters in Suffolk (particularly around Sudbury)? on 23:44 - Oct 23 by bournemouthblue

I believe there was once a line that went to Ipswich, presumably cut in Doctor Breeching's cuts?

There's definitely an abandoned railway line you can walk along, no idea where it actually went though?

A train to Cambridge via Sudbury & Haverhill from Ipswich would make sense

An actual main road, East to West for South Suffolk too would be nice

I suspect it's asking too much, given the A12 to Lowestoft isn't even dual carriageway for most of the way, which I find staggering given it's Suffolk's second biggest Town

I don't ever remember a line from Sudbury to Ipswich to be honest. I know the current line from Marks Tey to Sudbury used to extend further to Cambridge or just before it.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Why is there a lack of Town supporters in Suffolk (particularly around Sudbury)? on 01:12 - Oct 24 with 2444 viewsbournemouthblue

Why is there a lack of Town supporters in Suffolk (particularly around Sudbury)? on 00:04 - Oct 24 by gainsboroughblue

I don't ever remember a line from Sudbury to Ipswich to be honest. I know the current line from Marks Tey to Sudbury used to extend further to Cambridge or just before it.

Perhaps it is that one then, it is crazy this is not line going to Hadleigh, Sudbury, Haverhill, then Cambridge, it's a fairly straight line and would be used pretty regularly I imagine

The roads East to West are rubbish too but that's not unique to that part of Suffolk

Lowestoft is totally isolated too

I appreciate Suffolk is full of nimbys but it's probably true as well that National Government hasn't ever bothered to pump much into our infrastructure sadly

Why is there a lack of Town supporters in Suffolk (particularly around Sudbury)? on 01:15 - Oct 24 with 2441 viewsBluearmy71

Why is there a lack of Town supporters in Suffolk (particularly around Sudbury)? on 23:05 - Oct 23 by bournemouthblue

Sudbury is around the 23 mile mark from Ipswich, normal day driving 35-45 mins, match day (dependant on what time you leave) 45 mins to 1hr+, if no fecker is around then 30 mins lol, Colchester is around 20 miles and take 30 to 40 mins.

Bury St Edmunds is around 12 miles from Sudbury and takes roughly 20 to 25 mins, Braintree roughly 25 miles and takes roughly 30 mins.

Cambridge is a different kettle of fish distance wise, its a long old road and will take 50 to 1hr+

These are just rough figures and estimated at keeping to speed limits (excluding Sudbury to Ipswich with no fecker around) please check a route planner if you wish to be precise, I could not be arsed to do so.

I think Melford has hit it on the head with regard to ITFC supporters from the Sudbury area, it is very much generational, Man Utd, Liverpool etc etc were the exception rather than the rule, 99% of us were not London spillover, we were bumpkins born and bread and supported Ipswich before we learned to pee.....almost!!

Raised in the Sir Bobby era :)
Why is there a lack of Town supporters in Suffolk (particularly around Sudbury)? on 02:04 - Oct 24 with 2416 viewsMiaow

Why is there a lack of Town supporters in Suffolk (particularly around Sudbury)? on 00:04 - Oct 24 by gainsboroughblue

The line used to continue from Sudbury up to Melford and on to Bury, I believe. Also, it split west towards Cambridge, following a line just north of the Essex border, going through Clare towards Haverhill. There was also the line which split at Chappel/Wakes Colne and went through Halstead and the Hedinghams up to Haverhill. From Haverhill, I know that it went through Bartlow on the Cambs/Essex border because they (the Victorians) destroyed one or two of the ancient Roman-era tumuli (burial mounds) there when they built the line. I think there was also a line from Saffron Walden which joined around Bartlow.

In the north of Essex there was also Braintree to Bishops Stortford via Dunmow, a line to Thaxted (I think), a small line to Brightlingsea, a line from Kelvedon to Tollesbury via Tiptree, and also the Witham-to-Maldon branch line.

The rail map around this part of the country, and the rest of it, used to look a lot more dense.

⋆⋆⋆ My Ipswich Town quizzes: https://www.jetpunk.com/series/1696326/hinckfords-ipswich-town-quizzes ⋆⋆⋆
Poll: Which of this season’s (outfield) shirts do you most prefer?

Why is there a lack of Town supporters in Suffolk (particularly around Sudbury)? on 02:11 - Oct 24 with 2406 viewsbournemouthblue

Why is there a lack of Town supporters in Suffolk (particularly around Sudbury)? on 02:04 - Oct 24 by Miaow

The line used to continue from Sudbury up to Melford and on to Bury, I believe. Also, it split west towards Cambridge, following a line just north of the Essex border, going through Clare towards Haverhill. There was also the line which split at Chappel/Wakes Colne and went through Halstead and the Hedinghams up to Haverhill. From Haverhill, I know that it went through Bartlow on the Cambs/Essex border because they (the Victorians) destroyed one or two of the ancient Roman-era tumuli (burial mounds) there when they built the line. I think there was also a line from Saffron Walden which joined around Bartlow.

In the north of Essex there was also Braintree to Bishops Stortford via Dunmow, a line to Thaxted (I think), a small line to Brightlingsea, a line from Kelvedon to Tollesbury via Tiptree, and also the Witham-to-Maldon branch line.

The rail map around this part of the country, and the rest of it, used to look a lot more dense.

But never a line to Ipswich presumably?

Why is there a lack of Town supporters in Suffolk (particularly around Sudbury)? on 06:45 - Oct 24 with 2282 viewscarlisleaway

Why is there a lack of Town supporters in Suffolk (particularly around Sudbury)? on 02:11 - Oct 24 by bournemouthblue

Blame the parents myself, living in West Suffolk I had my son at Portman Road at the age of 6 now have my Grandson aged 8 going regularly.. would not support anyone else COYB
Why is there a lack of Town supporters in Suffolk (particularly around Sudbury)? on 08:24 - Oct 24 with 2166 viewsHullblue

Growing up in central Ipswich was a similar experience, to be honest.

I went to a school in the town until 2008 and Ipswich fans were still a small minority. A lot of my mates are United, Liverpool and Arsenal ‘fans’ and for a time I couldn’t have given a spare ticket away to any of them!

That’s changed a bit since the new ownership though - a couple of them came with me to watch a game last year and one of them was even talking about getting a season ticket this year.

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

Why is there a lack of Town supporters in Suffolk (particularly around Sudbury)? on 09:21 - Oct 24 with 2064 viewsGuthrum

Why is there a lack of Town supporters in Suffolk (particularly around Sudbury)? on 02:11 - Oct 24 by bournemouthblue

Was never a direct route from Sudbury to Ipswich, only via Colchester to the south or Bury to the north. The Hadleigh line was a fairly short branch.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Why is there a lack of Town supporters in Suffolk (particularly around Sudbury)? on 09:44 - Oct 24 with 2015 viewsWickets

I wore my Town shirt in Mildenhall once hope that helps .
Why is there a lack of Town supporters in Suffolk (particularly around Sudbury)? on 09:48 - Oct 24 with 2004 viewsMillsey

Why is there a lack of Town supporters in Suffolk (particularly around Sudbury)? on 06:45 - Oct 24 by carlisleaway

Blame the parents myself, living in West Suffolk I had my son at Portman Road at the age of 6 now have my Grandson aged 8 going regularly.. would not support anyone else COYB

Same with my children and now grandkids all season ticket holders and never allowed to support any other team! Being a great Dad, I allowed them a second team which they’ve now dropped 👍👍😉
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024