Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
42 years ago yesterday one of my favourite Ipswich Goals 10:24 - Jan 4 with 2969 viewsKeno

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

42 years ago yesterday one of my favourite Ipswich Goals on 10:26 - Jan 4 with 2920 viewscarlo88

Wish they'd beaten us three times that season but we won the league. Still rankles to this day and the reason I'll never like Villa.
42 years ago yesterday one of my favourite Ipswich Goals on 10:30 - Jan 4 with 2894 viewsKeno

42 years ago yesterday one of my favourite Ipswich Goals on 10:26 - Jan 4 by carlo88

Wish they'd beaten us three times that season but we won the league. Still rankles to this day and the reason I'll never like Villa.

I know ......

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

42 years ago yesterday one of my favourite Ipswich Goals on 10:56 - Jan 4 with 2774 viewsGeoffSentence

Good crowd noise there

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

42 years ago yesterday one of my favourite Ipswich Goals on 11:22 - Jan 4 with 2662 viewsDJR

We were playing McKenna-ball in those days but with much better players.
42 years ago yesterday one of my favourite Ipswich Goals on 12:44 - Jan 4 with 2518 viewsMeadowlark

Thijssen doing what Thijssen did!

Did anyone ever win the ball from him?
42 years ago yesterday one of my favourite Ipswich Goals on 13:15 - Jan 4 with 2446 viewsmonty_radio

42 years ago yesterday one of my favourite Ipswich Goals on 11:22 - Jan 4 by DJR

We were playing McKenna-ball in those days but with much better players.

Five all-time Ipswich (and Anglia!) greats involved in that goal.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

42 years ago yesterday one of my favourite Ipswich Goals on 13:23 - Jan 4 with 2425 viewsfarkenhell

I was standing almost level with Kaiser Franz when he started that move. The cheering for leaving the Villa player on his arse had just died down when Mariner put the ball in the net.

I also had a great view when, later on, the animal that is Peter Withe decided to take a chunk out of Butcher's back with his studs. He didn't even get booked for it.
42 years ago yesterday one of my favourite Ipswich Goals on 16:25 - Jan 4 with 2194 viewsC_Jam_Blue

42 years ago yesterday one of my favourite Ipswich Goals on 12:44 - Jan 4 by Meadowlark

Thijssen doing what Thijssen did!

Did anyone ever win the ball from him?

Loved watching him play, barely used his left foot and was still brilliant.
Login to get fewer ads

42 years ago yesterday one of my favourite Ipswich Goals on 16:28 - Jan 4 with 2165 viewsMetal_Hacker

42 years ago yesterday one of my favourite Ipswich Goals on 13:23 - Jan 4 by farkenhell

I was standing almost level with Kaiser Franz when he started that move. The cheering for leaving the Villa player on his arse had just died down when Mariner put the ball in the net.

I also had a great view when, later on, the animal that is Peter Withe decided to take a chunk out of Butcher's back with his studs. He didn't even get booked for it.

I was stood in the North stand with my mates being held by some of the regulars from my old man's boozer at the time - bodyguards so to speak

Poll: If it were one or the other

42 years ago yesterday one of my favourite Ipswich Goals on 16:34 - Jan 4 with 2112 viewsMookamoo

42 years ago yesterday one of my favourite Ipswich Goals on 13:23 - Jan 4 by farkenhell

I think that is my favourite goal. It is just a work of art.

Wasn't far off where you must have been sitting. Was just above you sitting with my gran.

I remember me and my mates trying to recreate it over the next week. We took it in turns being each player.
42 years ago yesterday one of my favourite Ipswich Goals on 16:56 - Jan 4 with 2041 viewsGeoffSentence

You mean the foul at 9 minutes 14 seconds?

He would have been sent off for a second yellow.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

42 years ago yesterday one of my favourite Ipswich Goals on 17:00 - Jan 4 with 2019 viewsChurchman

I was in Churchmans that day. What a team we had.
42 years ago yesterday one of my favourite Ipswich Goals on 17:00 - Jan 4 with 2017 viewsellaandred

When players just got on with it.
Unlike today's weaklings, cheats and drama 'queens'
Great game and fantastic goal. TWTD's !
42 years ago yesterday one of my favourite Ipswich Goals on 18:03 - Jan 4 with 1907 viewsfarkenhell

42 years ago yesterday one of my favourite Ipswich Goals on 16:56 - Jan 4 by GeoffSentence

You mean the foul at 9 minutes 14 seconds?

He would have been sent off for a second yellow.

Yes, that's the one, including Withe protesting his innocence at 9.41, Robson less than impressed at 9.48, Butch requiring a new shirt at 10.18 (the old one having been shredded after Withe's challenge) and, best of all, the aftermath of Withe's studs all the way down Butcher's back at 10.21. There was a collective gasp from where I was standing when Butch turned around and we saw his back (which looked much worse "live" than in the TV highlights - his back appeared to be an unnatural shade of yellow with two vivid red tram lines). I remember one of the tabloids had this image on its back page the following day with the headline "Butchered!"

Withe had had a couple of nibbles at Butcher earlier in the game, which had the normally placid old boys in the bottom tier of the West Stand unusually riled. I learned a few new words that day and it wouldn't have been a total surprise if someone had leapt onto the pitch to confront Withe. It was certainly a memorable day for this fresh-faced 13 year old!
42 years ago yesterday one of my favourite Ipswich Goals on 18:24 - Jan 4 with 1871 viewsblueislander

42 years ago yesterday one of my favourite Ipswich Goals on 16:25 - Jan 4 by C_Jam_Blue

Loved watching him play, barely used his left foot and was still brilliant.

You can see why they nicknamed him “Captain Hook”
42 years ago yesterday one of my favourite Ipswich Goals on 23:35 - Jan 4 with 1630 viewsMillsey

42 years ago yesterday one of my favourite Ipswich Goals on 17:00 - Jan 4 by Churchman

I was in Churchmans that day. What a team we had.

So was I 💙
42 years ago yesterday one of my favourite Ipswich Goals on 00:01 - Jan 5 with 1614 viewsChurchman

42 years ago yesterday one of my favourite Ipswich Goals on 23:35 - Jan 4 by Millsey

So was I 💙

Subject to timing of getting in, I always stood half way up, off centre in line with the goal post Cobbold stand side. Happy days.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024