Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anybody else think that Stephen Foster is the worst thing.. 22:10 - Jan 7 with 4723 viewstrulyblue

to happen to Portman Road for a long time?

Poll: Player of the season so far?

Anybody else think that Stephen Foster is the worst thing.. on 22:16 - Jan 7 with 4657 viewsCheltenham_Blue

When you say "a long time" are we only going from after Marcus Evans sold the club?

If it's longer than that, No definitely not the worst thing to happen to Portman Road.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Anybody else think that Stephen Foster is the worst thing.. on 22:20 - Jan 7 with 4585 viewsIllinoisblue

If that’s all there is to moan about…

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Anybody else think that Stephen Foster is the worst thing.. on 22:22 - Jan 7 with 4555 viewsITFC_Forever

It gets said after every home match how unsuited he is to the job.

Local radio / music guru and nice guy though he is, the match-day presenter role is not his strongest suit.

P 1124, W 500, D 288, L 336, F 1707, A 1359
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Anybody else think that Stephen Foster is the worst thing.. on 22:22 - Jan 7 with 4556 viewsFixed_It

Lovely guy who loves the Club but...
When everything else at the Club is being upgraded, it has to be said that Foz is no Rob Chandler, and is not really up to standard in his current role.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Anybody else think that Stephen Foster is the worst thing.. on 22:23 - Jan 7 with 4527 viewsFixed_It

Anybody else think that Stephen Foster is the worst thing.. on 22:20 - Jan 7 by Illinoisblue

If that’s all there is to moan about…

True - but he really doesn't enhance the matchday experience at all.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Anybody else think that Stephen Foster is the worst thing.. on 22:25 - Jan 7 with 4505 viewsHealysBackPocket

I’m sure he’s a lovely guy and big in the local music/radio scene but he needs sacking off at the earliest opportunity as the announcer - was always going to be tough to follow Rob Chandler but he’s horrid at it
Anybody else think that Stephen Foster is the worst thing.. on 22:25 - Jan 7 with 4511 viewsMillsTash

Yes and more and more people are starting to realise this at games. He needs to be moved to another role.
Anybody else think that Stephen Foster is the worst thing.. on 22:25 - Jan 7 with 4498 viewsBobbychase

Bit harsh.

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

Login to get fewer ads

Anybody else think that Stephen Foster is the worst thing.. on 22:31 - Jan 7 with 4319 viewsstarofanglia

The one upside of not being able to hear the PA in the SBRL
Anybody else think that Stephen Foster is the worst thing.. on 22:45 - Jan 7 with 4179 viewsRegencyBlue

I wouldn’t go quite that far but he definitely needs replacing with someone who doesn’t send the whole stadium to sleep!
Anybody else think that Stephen Foster is the worst thing.. on 23:00 - Jan 7 with 4033 viewsLankHenners

Not quite that far but unfortunately (as he’s clearly a decent and popular chap) he’s not cut out for this line of work, as has been said many times. Probably an awkward decision for the club as they’d essentially be telling someone they need to step down from their dream job but it has to be done. Not sure you’ll ever be able to replace Rob Chandler as he was the perfect fit but there’s room for upgrading for sure.

Doesn’t help that the system in general is still messed up. Sound in Cobbold Upper this season has gone from blisteringly loud to now very quiet and echoey.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Anybody else think that Stephen Foster is the worst thing.. on 23:05 - Jan 7 with 3949 viewsWeirdFishes

Still doesn't feel right it not being Rob Chandler.

TWTD Participant
Poll: Who's Worse?

Anybody else think that Stephen Foster is the worst thing.. on 00:13 - Jan 8 with 3606 viewsBLUEBEAT

I miss Rob Chandler

And his wig

Poll: W or W

Anybody else think that Stephen Foster is the worst thing.. on 00:52 - Jan 8 with 3439 viewsFreddies_Ears

Plenty used to whinge about Rob Chandler too.
Anybody else think that Stephen Foster is the worst thing.. on 02:15 - Jan 8 with 3338 viewsIllinoisblue

Anybody else think that Stephen Foster is the worst thing.. on 22:23 - Jan 7 by Fixed_It

True - but he really doesn't enhance the matchday experience at all.

What is the experience that people want? Beyond someone to read out the halftime scores and read the teams, what else is needed?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Anybody else think that Stephen Foster is the worst thing.. on 06:01 - Jan 8 with 3184 viewsRIPbobby

I'm not sure what people really want from him? His interview with Alan Lee was superb yesterday. Normally footballer go into 'footballer being interviewed' mode and they are a waste of time. What he got out of AL was quite interesting.

I always look forward to the subs announcements. Gone are the days of "Ian rush being replaced by John Aldridge", these days it is much more difficult with all the bizzare names from around the world.

For me foz is fine for the 15 minutes between halves. I don't expect him to start juggling or spinning plates.
[Post edited 8 Jan 2023 7:43]
Anybody else think that Stephen Foster is the worst thing.. on 07:38 - Jan 8 with 3007 viewsPioneerBlue

No.

If you have a genuine point to make write to the club, better still call him up have a chat and advise what acceptable PA work sounds like in your opinion.

Why is is necessary to pollute a public message board with targeted vengeance, what is the hope here? A ground swell of public loathing? He’s a chap, can’t vouch for his character, he doing a job for a few hours on an occasional Saturday afternoon.

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

Anybody else think that Stephen Foster is the worst thing.. on 08:06 - Jan 8 with 2886 viewsTractorWood

Anybody else think that Stephen Foster is the worst thing.. on 00:52 - Jan 8 by Freddies_Ears

Plenty used to whinge about Rob Chandler too.

Not sure that's true. Only remember positive stuff on here about Rob.

Foz got upstaged by Butcher a few weeks ago and it really emphasised Foz's shortcomings.

Not sure it matters enormously though for 15 minutes every fortnight.
[Post edited 8 Jan 2023 9:52]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Anybody else think that Stephen Foster is the worst thing.. on 08:10 - Jan 8 with 2872 viewsRorschach

I think he’s a good fit. Loves the club and does the job smoothly enough. I mean, who else would you rather have doing it? Morgan Freeman?

I'm not locked in here with you...you're locked in here with me.

Anybody else think that Stephen Foster is the worst thing.. on 08:25 - Jan 8 with 2780 viewsStewart27

Anybody else think that Stephen Foster is the worst thing.. on 07:38 - Jan 8 by PioneerBlue

No.

If you have a genuine point to make write to the club, better still call him up have a chat and advise what acceptable PA work sounds like in your opinion.

Why is is necessary to pollute a public message board with targeted vengeance, what is the hope here? A ground swell of public loathing? He’s a chap, can’t vouch for his character, he doing a job for a few hours on an occasional Saturday afternoon.

Calm down.

He’s rubbish. It sounded horrendous in the Cobbold yesterday. But that was partly due to the PR system. Which is also rubbish.

We discuss good and bad club related stuff daily. Hence why it’s a forum I guess.
Anybody else think that Stephen Foster is the worst thing.. on 09:17 - Jan 8 with 2525 viewsMeadowlark

I like Foz.
He does a great programme on Radio Caroline and is loved and respected on the Ipswich/Suffolk music scene, but I really don't like his matchdsy PA
stuff.
Why did Rob C leave anyway?
Anybody else think that Stephen Foster is the worst thing.. on 09:46 - Jan 8 with 2372 viewsMark

It look a little time to adjust since Rob Chandler, but I think Foz is doing a decent job and I like the half time interviews. Stephen Foster is a top man, Ipswich through and through, and deserves our respect.
Anybody else think that Stephen Foster is the worst thing.. on 10:55 - Jan 8 with 2165 viewsJackNorthStand

Is Foz was a colour, he would be beige.
Anybody else think that Stephen Foster is the worst thing.. on 11:19 - Jan 8 with 2093 viewsThe_Major

I'm going to be careful here, as last time I criticised a Portman Road announcer was nearly thirty years ago in the fanzine, and TWTD was threatened with legal action, but....

I think the issue is that Foz comes over as a naturally laid back chap full stop, and perhaps what is needed more is someone who can whip the crowd up these days. I mean, back in the days of yore, when Bryan Knights and Peter Phillips used to do it, literally all was needed was "Here are the teams" and "Here are the half time/full time scores" and you'd entertain yourself by giggling childishly every time the name Leo Muff came up on the scoreboard during the sponsorkit run through.

But that was a different time, and like it or lump it, the whole matchday experience is a different beast.

But yes, Foz is a lovely chap, and anyone over 40 will remember listening to the Headbangers Ball on Orwell back in the day - he's one of the the three voices I always think of first when I think of local radio in Ipswich - the others being Andy Archer, and these days, Mark Murphy.

And perhaps the last one would be a half decent choice to do it, although I appreciate the BBC probably wouldn't allow it.
[Post edited 8 Jan 2023 11:21]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024