Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cobbold stand 18:57 - Jan 13 with 4021 viewsEssexBloo

I might be getting ahead of myself here but Ashton did say improvements were needed and has hinted about the additional land where the Portman Rd car park is. He also said something about planning meetings had gone ahead.
With the current demand for tickets and potential promotion the owners might want to be progressing this one. Have there been any rumours or discussions with council?
Cobbold stand on 19:18 - Jan 13 with 3907 viewsxrayspecs

Only that the Cobbold stand is 50 years old and will clearly need replacing/investment at some point. I do not think this is a near term priority.

One structural change I can see the club considering is extending or remodelling the club reception/gym/changing rooms facilities between Churchamans and Magnus stand so that the main reception is accessed via the newly purchased land behind Churchmans. Ashton has talked about the main reception facing the wrong way, so they could now address this.
Cobbold stand on 19:22 - Jan 13 with 3884 viewsSitfcB

Cobbold stand on 19:18 - Jan 13 by xrayspecs

Only that the Cobbold stand is 50 years old and will clearly need replacing/investment at some point. I do not think this is a near term priority.

One structural change I can see the club considering is extending or remodelling the club reception/gym/changing rooms facilities between Churchamans and Magnus stand so that the main reception is accessed via the newly purchased land behind Churchmans. Ashton has talked about the main reception facing the wrong way, so they could now address this.

It would still be facing the wrong way, he said it should be town facing, which means when Cobbold is redeveloped it’ll become the main stand with the dressing rooms, tunnel, director’s box etc.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Cobbold stand on 19:26 - Jan 13 with 3833 viewsbournemouthblue

Cobbold stand on 19:22 - Jan 13 by SitfcB

It would still be facing the wrong way, he said it should be town facing, which means when Cobbold is redeveloped it’ll become the main stand with the dressing rooms, tunnel, director’s box etc.

The only way you could do that is extending over the road, it's possible

They did previously have plans drawn up for a two tier Cobbold, similar to the North Stand but higher because of corporate boxes

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Cobbold stand on 19:28 - Jan 13 with 3817 viewsgtsb1966

My place to go now I'm getting on. Block A, love it there. Roll on tomorrow.
[Post edited 13 Jan 2023 19:29]
Cobbold stand on 19:34 - Jan 13 with 3746 viewsxrayspecs

Cobbold stand on 19:22 - Jan 13 by SitfcB

The only issue with that is that the sun shines into that stand, which makes viewing, especially at the front of the stand more challenging.
Cobbold stand on 19:43 - Jan 13 with 3639 viewsbluefunk

Cobbold stand on 19:26 - Jan 13 by bournemouthblue

The only way you could do that is extending over the road, it's possible

They did previously have plans drawn up for a two tier Cobbold, similar to the North Stand but higher because of corporate boxes

Portman road is currently closed, it isn’t a leap of imagination to see the stand extend back towards the car park, eventually
Cobbold stand on 20:55 - Jan 13 with 3442 viewswaspsforever1

i got told they are thinking of taking cobold back into portman rd and turning the pitch rd so goals are at cobold and pioneer std. and making sir alf and sir bobby wider to fill the corners up
Cobbold stand on 20:59 - Jan 13 with 3413 viewsPhilTWTD

Cobbold stand on 20:55 - Jan 13 by waspsforever1

i got told they are thinking of taking cobold back into portman rd and turning the pitch rd so goals are at cobold and pioneer std. and making sir alf and sir bobby wider to fill the corners up

Someone suggested something along those lines at the AGM but the idea wasn't given too much encouragement.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Login to get fewer ads

Cobbold stand on 21:07 - Jan 13 with 3313 viewsParky

That would be atrocious.
Cobbold stand on 21:19 - Jan 13 with 3235 viewsxrayspecs

Not an engineer but would imagine that would amount to knocking down all four stands. The roof supports for both the NS and Churchmans are just outside the current seating areas, so if they extended either stand then they would have to take the roof off and rebuild.

It would also make a nonsense of the recent changes to improve access to the pitch in the south east corner.
Cobbold stand on 21:21 - Jan 13 with 3211 viewsSitfcB

Would be minging.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Cobbold stand on 21:44 - Jan 13 with 3133 viewsIllinoisblue

Sounds great if you’ve got a spare couple hundred million

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Cobbold stand on 22:11 - Jan 13 with 2992 viewsFreddies_Ears

Cobbold stand on 21:19 - Jan 13 by xrayspecs

Not an engineer but would imagine that would amount to knocking down all four stands. The roof supports for both the NS and Churchmans are just outside the current seating areas, so if they extended either stand then they would have to take the roof off and rebuild.

It would also make a nonsense of the recent changes to improve access to the pitch in the south east corner.

Unlikely they'd spend a fortune on a new pitch and then decide to rip it up & start again...
Cobbold stand on 22:28 - Jan 13 with 2918 viewsChurchman

Cobbold stand on 22:11 - Jan 13 by Freddies_Ears

Unlikely they'd spend a fortune on a new pitch and then decide to rip it up & start again...

Nothing much will happen for some years. MA made it clear that because the ground was built piecemeal there’s a lot that doesn’t work. Anything major would have to been in conjunction with the Council and let’s face it, there’s no chance of that until we are in the PL.

In the meantime, it’s make do with what we have. Do something with the corners? I can’t see the Cobbold being replaced, despite its poor seating access and facilities underneath, for some time yet.

In terms of facilities, I can see something more being done with the rear of the West Stand and the space behind it, including maybe a building to replace the tent? Obviously, the Staples area will add something too, but the main message of Ashton that anything done has to be in a coherent way.

The issue of capacity is a nice one to have. What do I think PR should be? 35-40k absolute max. Maybe 35000 would allow sufficient numbers with a decent view for the catchment area/potential of the club.
Cobbold stand on 22:52 - Jan 13 with 2767 views86wsblue

Doesn't make sense really,they are going to put a hotel,fanzone/museum/trophy area in part of area where staples is.
Cobbold stand on 01:19 - Jan 14 with 2555 viewsgreyhound

Cobbold stand on 19:18 - Jan 13 by xrayspecs

The gym is being sorted out from what I know. Reception and changing rooms is a far far bigger task, there's some room however to reconfigure this now the land has been purchased. I haven't studied the recently approved plans but the creation of a new ticket office would be detailed if they were to centralise this under the south stand which would make a degree of sense as people enter from train station
Cobbold stand on 06:59 - Jan 14 with 2343 viewsElephantintheRoom

If you get your fag packet out and do some calculations you’ll soon see that it is utterly impossible to make any cost-effective alterations to the capacity, - unless ‘safe standing’ can squeeze a few more in. In case you have forgotten the last two attempts to enlarge capacity created the twin nightmares of bankrupting the club and creating very expensive empty seats.

The franchise holders are behind the curve on their return on investment and wont do any fancy plans until their investment opportunity has ‘added value’ - and then said plans will be under the caveat of inviting ‘further investment’ ie getting their money back Its far better business to drum up interest and build customers through ifollow

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Cobbold stand on 07:07 - Jan 14 with 2330 viewsCoastalblue

Cobbold stand on 06:59 - Jan 14 by ElephantintheRoom

If you get your fag packet out and do some calculations you’ll soon see that it is utterly impossible to make any cost-effective alterations to the capacity, - unless ‘safe standing’ can squeeze a few more in. In case you have forgotten the last two attempts to enlarge capacity created the twin nightmares of bankrupting the club and creating very expensive empty seats.

The franchise holders are behind the curve on their return on investment and wont do any fancy plans until their investment opportunity has ‘added value’ - and then said plans will be under the caveat of inviting ‘further investment’ ie getting their money back Its far better business to drum up interest and build customers through ifollow

Is there any aspect of all this you're not an expert on?

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Cobbold stand on 08:11 - Jan 14 with 2213 viewsStewart27

Do you know the investors personally and also been privy to their forecasting figures?

I’m being serious. I’m intrigued.
Cobbold stand on 08:38 - Jan 14 with 2114 viewsChurchman

Your endless optimism and brimming excitement over the Americans taking over is a little OTT isn’t it?

Still, Norwich have a new manager.
Cobbold stand on 08:41 - Jan 14 with 2101 viewsEssexBloo

Absolutely killed my dream but thanks for clearing that one up for me.

I maybe thought that buying additional land and owning that land plus a modern stand with improved facilities and revenue streams would then make us more attractive to buyers which would be GC end goal. Shame I got that wrong.
Cobbold stand on 08:52 - Jan 14 with 2035 viewsxrayspecs

The club is worth considerably more to a potential buyer than what GC paid for it 18 months ago.

If you look at the potential transfer value of players now in the squad and the income the club are generating through ticket sales, merchandising, iFollow etc., then any prospective purchaser would put a higher valuation on the club than GC did when buying from ME.

We are trending upwards quite nicely.
Cobbold stand on 10:12 - Jan 14 with 1869 viewsle2blue

That is completely inaccurate. The investments, partly funded through transfer trading, is inline with their initial plan and the timeline (likely promotion this year) is as well.

There is a reason that the game changer group include someone from one of the worlds leading real estate and facilities management companies (JJL) and why one of them is involved in community based real estate around soccer in the USA, they want to invest in developments in and around the stadium as part of their plan to drive value into the club through non-core activities. They’ve purchased the land behind the South Stand and trust me they’re talking to the Council about how to develop the whole area including the practice pitch and old cattle market.

Having a competent team in place on the football side is illustrating the demand that can be created from a catchment area which has few serious competitors in a growth population area as well. They have a CEO and Chairman who have been involved in similar development activities, at WBA and Bristol City, our previous attempts at development have been poorly executed, we now have the people involved to do it properly. Think some will be quite surprised as and when plans are revealed.
[Post edited 14 Jan 2023 10:13]
Cobbold stand on 10:29 - Jan 14 with 1782 viewsOldFart71

I do believe it makes sense to expand the ground sooner rather than later. Obviously it depends on which Division we are in next season as there's always a possibility that should we remain where we are (Hopefully not) gates would tail off and some players may want to leave. But should we achieve promotion then extending should happen a.s.a.p. for two reasons. 1) to accommodate extra fans 2) The longer it's left the more it will cost and should we gain promotion no reason not to think in terms of between 18-20,000 season ticket holders. But as I say, it all comes down to where we are come seasons end.
Cobbold stand on 14:06 - Jan 14 with 1544 viewsGavTWTD

Am I the only one to think that around 30k is about right for us? I know the Cobbold stand probably needs rebuilding but do we need 40k?

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024