Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Now the fog has cleared 09:42 - Jan 22 with 4833 viewsPinewoodblue

It seems to me that either the referee made it up or the FL have verbally told referees, but not clubs, that if a game is abandoned after 75 minutes the result stands.

An answer is required and it for Ipswich Town to demand it.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Now the fog has cleared on 09:50 - Jan 22 with 2866 viewsArnieM

Question is will thus game ever be replayed? I doubt it . Town get that kind of luck do we.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Now the fog has cleared on 09:54 - Jan 22 with 2839 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Please don't replay it, it would be so embarrassing.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Now the fog has cleared on 09:55 - Jan 22 with 2821 viewsPinewoodblue

Now the fog has cleared on 09:54 - Jan 22 by Marshalls_Mullet

Agreed. Full marks to Oxford for wanting to play on rather than accept a point.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Now the fog has cleared on 09:56 - Jan 22 with 2800 viewsgtsb1966

It doesn't matter about yesterday. What does matter is we are third and our form is very patchy and at this rate we will drop further. For all the tools we have at our disposal its not good enough. I bet if you asked anyone at the club they would say the same. It's down to KM and his staff to fix it. Fingers crossed they will.
Now the fog has cleared on 09:58 - Jan 22 with 2777 viewsringwoodblue

We would only want it replayed cos we lost. Had we won it, a replay would be unthinkable. We lost. Let’s forget it and move on.

Poll: How do you feel about the EADT digital subscription?

Now the fog has cleared on 09:58 - Jan 22 with 2772 viewsGuthrum

Now the fog has cleared on 09:54 - Jan 22 by Marshalls_Mullet

Embarrassing is, for me, not quite the right word. But agree with the sentiment. Wouldn't really be fair on Oxford, who took their chance in the same, poor conditions.

Better to just get on with repairing the damage than bleating to the EFL (who would probably refuse anyway).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Now the fog has cleared on 10:03 - Jan 22 with 2720 viewsSwansea_Blue

Now the fog has cleared on 09:55 - Jan 22 by Pinewoodblue

Oxford were happy to abandon the game, same as us. Unless Phil & McK are telling porkies.

They certainly dealt with it better and deserved the 3 points though.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Now the fog has cleared on 10:03 - Jan 22 with 2721 viewsbilllm

Now the fog has cleared on 09:56 - Jan 22 by gtsb1966

It doesn't matter about yesterday. What does matter is we are third and our form is very patchy and at this rate we will drop further. For all the tools we have at our disposal its not good enough. I bet if you asked anyone at the club they would say the same. It's down to KM and his staff to fix it. Fingers crossed they will.

Something wrong somewhere great squad poor on the pitch, performances have dropped right off since Charlton many moons ago in football terms, form is awful, play offs at best,miss to many chances,we have a few months to sort it out maybe we will be flying in may need to be certainly can't rely on lady luck,
Login to get fewer ads

Now the fog has cleared on 10:04 - Jan 22 with 2705 viewsRyorry

Now the fog has cleared on 09:55 - Jan 22 by Pinewoodblue

They had absolutely nothing to lose from the game continuing - whatever the result, it wasn't going to significantly impact their overall season. Very different for us, obvs.
[Post edited 22 Jan 2023 10:07]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Now the fog has cleared on 10:06 - Jan 22 with 2664 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Now the fog has cleared on 09:58 - Jan 22 by Guthrum

Embarrassing is, for me, not quite the right word. But agree with the sentiment. Wouldn't really be fair on Oxford, who took their chance in the same, poor conditions.

Better to just get on with repairing the damage than bleating to the EFL (who would probably refuse anyway).

Have to agree to differ, I'd find it embarrassing.

It was the same for both sides, they handled it better. We need to move on and not use it as an excuse.

We have so many advantages over other sides in the league, this would look like sour grapes.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Now the fog has cleared on 10:07 - Jan 22 with 2654 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Now the fog has cleared on 09:58 - Jan 22 by ringwoodblue

We would only want it replayed cos we lost. Had we won it, a replay would be unthinkable. We lost. Let’s forget it and move on.

This.

Now the fog has cleared on 10:08 - Jan 22 with 2637 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Now the fog has cleared on 10:04 - Jan 22 by Ryorry

They had absolutely nothing to lose from the game continuing - whatever the result, it wasn't going to significantly impact their overall season. Very different for us, obvs.
[Post edited 22 Jan 2023 10:07]

I suspect KR would disagree.

I'd hate to see a replay granted.

Now the fog has cleared on 10:09 - Jan 22 with 2631 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Now the fog has cleared on 09:50 - Jan 22 by ArnieM

Question is will thus game ever be replayed? I doubt it . Town get that kind of luck do we.

Hopefully it won't be replayed.

Now the fog has cleared on 10:12 - Jan 22 with 2605 viewsRyorry

Now the fog has cleared on 10:06 - Jan 22 by Marshalls_Mullet

It was the same for both sides, they handled it better. We need to move on and not use it as an excuse.

We have so many advantages over other sides in the league, this would look like sour grapes.

I guess a replay, in the unlikely event we ask for one & it were granted, would make other sides 'hate' us even more, so agree that it's probably best dropped!

Still think the EFL should look at it from the aspect of competency of officials at this level generally tho.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Now the fog has cleared on 10:12 - Jan 22 with 2602 viewsGuthrum

Yes, actually. It is the asking for a replay which would be the embarrassing bit. If Town had won, we wouldn't dream of it. And neither should Oxford.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Now the fog has cleared on 10:12 - Jan 22 with 2591 viewsSitfcB

We don’t want it replayed, they just want clarity on the rules.

“We will address it and get to the truth of what it was. I don't think the game should have been played in those conditions, but we can't get it back.” - KM.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Now the fog has cleared on 10:15 - Jan 22 with 2551 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Now the fog has cleared on 10:12 - Jan 22 by SitfcB

We don’t want it replayed, they just want clarity on the rules.

“We will address it and get to the truth of what it was. I don't think the game should have been played in those conditions, but we can't get it back.” - KM.

Hopefully.

We do need to move on though. Not dwell on it.

Now the fog has cleared on 10:16 - Jan 22 with 2538 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Now the fog has cleared on 10:12 - Jan 22 by Guthrum

Yes, actually. It is the asking for a replay which would be the embarrassing bit. If Town had won, we wouldn't dream of it. And neither should Oxford.

Agreed.

Now the fog has cleared on 10:17 - Jan 22 with 2529 viewsSitfcB

Now the fog has cleared on 10:15 - Jan 22 by Marshalls_Mullet

Hopefully.

We do need to move on though. Not dwell on it.

As usual it’ll only be the fans that dwell on it I think, seen a lot of comments about ‘can’t use the fog as an excuse’ but not seen one person, fans or from the club, use it as an excuse.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Now the fog has cleared on 10:23 - Jan 22 with 2487 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Now the fog has cleared on 10:17 - Jan 22 by SitfcB

As usual it’ll only be the fans that dwell on it I think, seen a lot of comments about ‘can’t use the fog as an excuse’ but not seen one person, fans or from the club, use it as an excuse.

Hopefully.

The biggest issue yesterday was KMs comment that KR was 'clever' for getting balls into the box.

Now the fog has cleared on 10:24 - Jan 22 with 2487 viewsTimeSyncOTP

The "Laws of the Game" used to state that the result of a match could be accepted under competition rules once a match had reached the 75 minute mark. I suspect it was this Law to which the referee was referring.

However, in my experience, all leagues from SIL to Step 3 have ordered the replay of any match abandoned before the full-time whistle.

As an example, the SIL constitution (which follows the FAs template for the most part) requires that the Executive Committee rule on the outcome of any abandoned match. I am aware of games which they have both replayed with minutes to go and games that they have allowed to stand in the past few years. However their general rule of thumb is to replay a game, especially when the outcome may affect a promotion/relegation.

As you travel up the football pyramid, there is even more of an appetite to see matches replayed. I am not familiar with the EFL competition rules, however Bobby Madden should be, but I'd be surprised if they didn't call for a replay of any abandoned game.

It's interesting to note that Law 7.5 of the IFAB Laws of the Game has changed in the last few years to remove the 75 minute rule anyway. It now states...

An abandoned match is replayed unless the competition rules or organisers determine otherwise.

...and clearly Bobby Madden is unaware of this change and needs to spend some time reviewing the up to date Laws.

I'll finish by stating that regardless of what was correct in Law, there is normally pressure on referees to avoid abandonment at all costs and to manage a game through to its conclusion. Ultimately this will be what was in the back of the referee's mind on the day. In my experience matchday observers and competition management do not like having to replay games and abandoning the game could have impacted the referees appointments for the remainder of the season.

Was the referee correct in Law? No. Did he make the correct call in continuing the game? Probably. Is it frustrating as an ITFC fan? Yes.
Now the fog has cleared on 10:26 - Jan 22 with 2449 viewstextbackup

Now the fog has cleared on 10:03 - Jan 22 by Swansea_Blue

Oxford were happy to abandon the game, same as us. Unless Phil & McK are telling porkies.

They certainly dealt with it better and deserved the 3 points though.

their players used their heads

"fogs pretty bad, reckon a shot from distance could be tricky for the keeper you know...."

our lot..... "lets do 6000 passes in the same positions over and over, where they know we'll be, and just hope one of us can score from 8yards"

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Now the fog has cleared on 10:26 - Jan 22 with 2446 viewsbelgablue

I've not seen it mentioned anyway but what did the linesmen think? Surely they couldn't see to the other side of the pitch?

Poll: Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer?

Now the fog has cleared on 10:28 - Jan 22 with 2436 viewsTractorWood

Now the fog has cleared on 10:24 - Jan 22 by TimeSyncOTP

The "Laws of the Game" used to state that the result of a match could be accepted under competition rules once a match had reached the 75 minute mark. I suspect it was this Law to which the referee was referring.

However, in my experience, all leagues from SIL to Step 3 have ordered the replay of any match abandoned before the full-time whistle.

As an example, the SIL constitution (which follows the FAs template for the most part) requires that the Executive Committee rule on the outcome of any abandoned match. I am aware of games which they have both replayed with minutes to go and games that they have allowed to stand in the past few years. However their general rule of thumb is to replay a game, especially when the outcome may affect a promotion/relegation.

As you travel up the football pyramid, there is even more of an appetite to see matches replayed. I am not familiar with the EFL competition rules, however Bobby Madden should be, but I'd be surprised if they didn't call for a replay of any abandoned game.

It's interesting to note that Law 7.5 of the IFAB Laws of the Game has changed in the last few years to remove the 75 minute rule anyway. It now states...

An abandoned match is replayed unless the competition rules or organisers determine otherwise.

...and clearly Bobby Madden is unaware of this change and needs to spend some time reviewing the up to date Laws.

I'll finish by stating that regardless of what was correct in Law, there is normally pressure on referees to avoid abandonment at all costs and to manage a game through to its conclusion. Ultimately this will be what was in the back of the referee's mind on the day. In my experience matchday observers and competition management do not like having to replay games and abandoning the game could have impacted the referees appointments for the remainder of the season.

Was the referee correct in Law? No. Did he make the correct call in continuing the game? Probably. Is it frustrating as an ITFC fan? Yes.

It's frustrating that we lost, not that the game was continued.

To me this is just coming across as salty escapism from the reality that we are out of ideas and have been sussed out by the league.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Now the fog has cleared on 10:33 - Jan 22 with 2415 viewsTractorWood

Now the fog has cleared on 10:26 - Jan 22 by textbackup

their players used their heads

"fogs pretty bad, reckon a shot from distance could be tricky for the keeper you know...."

our lot..... "lets do 6000 passes in the same positions over and over, where they know we'll be, and just hope one of us can score from 8yards"

I also enjoyed one of our corners in the 87 minute when 2-1 down. We had 5 attacking players in the box. Madness.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024