Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wednesday Fan Perspective 19:29 - Jan 31 with 6760 viewsMetal_Hacker

Speaking to a Wednesday fan who manages a business up in Leeds today (actually he’s a long term mate and now also a customer so most of the meetings revolve around football )

Anyway he seemed highly delighted and proud that their game on Saturday is sold out. He couldn’t believe it. I get Hillsboro’ is quite a big stadium but come on.

I asked what he thought would be the outcome. He’s predicted a 2-1 home win

He then asked what I expended the weekend after against Wednesday to which I gave him my honest opinion and obvious answer “we need to win “ . He said he’s be more than happy with a point against us.

Really hope we batter them.

He’s been a mate for best part of 20 years but ffs the Wednesday fans ain’t half arrogant the way they talk about their team

“We’ve not even hit second gear yet “ was another comment

Grrrrrr

Poll: If it were one or the other

Wednesday Fan Perspective on 19:41 - Jan 31 with 5677 viewsJ2BLUE

I think all fanbases get like that to be honest. It's noticeable on here as well. Even the Plymouth forums seem to be really dismissive of us to the extent that I actually hope it's them that miss out now.

I know i'm being too sensitive and if we go back above them it will be just as bad on here but their forum really did surprise me.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Wednesday Fan Perspective on 19:42 - Jan 31 with 5656 viewsIllinoisblue

Wednesday Fan Perspective on 19:41 - Jan 31 by J2BLUE

I think all fanbases get like that to be honest. It's noticeable on here as well. Even the Plymouth forums seem to be really dismissive of us to the extent that I actually hope it's them that miss out now.

I know i'm being too sensitive and if we go back above them it will be just as bad on here but their forum really did surprise me.

Plymouth fans have become very chippy, mostly over the Whittaker links which is understandable.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Wednesday Fan Perspective on 19:46 - Jan 31 with 5614 viewsRIPbobby

I noticed they lost their winning run once bannon was back in the team. Great player, but not enough work for div 1 level.
Wednesday Fan Perspective on 20:07 - Jan 31 with 5334 viewsMetal_Hacker

Wednesday Fan Perspective on 19:46 - Jan 31 by RIPbobby

I noticed they lost their winning run once bannon was back in the team. Great player, but not enough work for div 1 level.

Yeah he mentioned Bannan and said since he’s been out they’ve played obviously slightly differently. He said as good as he is EVERYTHING goes through him and teams obviously know this. Said other players just have a tendency to look for him all the time even when he’s not fit to receiver the ball etc

Either way , I hope we smash them

Wednesday Fan Perspective on 20:19 - Jan 31 with 5207 viewsArnieM

OP: The Wednesday fans may sound arrogant but maybe it’s more confidence in their season:

But They haven’t had a past 15/20 years like we have. Our confidence is relatively fragile …. Eg “Dare we believe” …. “are we in for another false dawn”, etc. I would also say they seem to get a fair bit of luck with done if their results …. The 2 yard offside goal against us…. The OG in the cup this week when by all accounts they weren’t really all that over the whole game. I’d by comparison … disallowed perfectly good goal at PR…. Incompetent refs game after game thus season always seem to cost us , “ The Oxford Foggate” tbh there’s been so many I’ve lost count this season.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Wednesday Fan Perspective on 20:22 - Jan 31 with 5156 viewsMetal_Hacker

Wednesday Fan Perspective on 20:19 - Jan 31 by ArnieM

OP: The Wednesday fans may sound arrogant but maybe it’s more confidence in their season:

But They haven’t had a past 15/20 years like we have. Our confidence is relatively fragile …. Eg “Dare we believe” …. “are we in for another false dawn”, etc. I would also say they seem to get a fair bit of luck with done if their results …. The 2 yard offside goal against us…. The OG in the cup this week when by all accounts they weren’t really all that over the whole game. I’d by comparison … disallowed perfectly good goal at PR…. Incompetent refs game after game thus season always seem to cost us , “ The Oxford Foggate” tbh there’s been so many I’ve lost count this season.

I know what you’re saying Arnie but don’t you make your own luck as they say ?

We need to make some of our own perhaps

Either a draw or Wednesday win and we win by 3/4 goals this weekend would be quite lucky followed by a 3-0 win against Wednesday weekend after

I’d feel quite lucky with that

Wednesday Fan Perspective on 21:48 - Jan 31 with 4566 viewsArnieM

Wednesday Fan Perspective on 20:22 - Jan 31 by Metal_Hacker

I know what you’re saying Arnie but don’t you make your own luck as they say ?

We need to make some of our own perhaps

Either a draw or Wednesday win and we win by 3/4 goals this weekend would be quite lucky followed by a 3-0 win against Wednesday weekend after

I’d feel quite lucky with that

Yes, you’re right of course re making our own luck . And that essentially is taking the numerous chances we create in games ( which haven’t done and then pay the penalty for a moment of poor concentration). And as much as I want us to beat swfc, (and I SO want to be wrong in this), but we rarely win these must win games. It’s not just this squad it’s been an Ipswich thing as long as I’ve been watching us tbh. If we could just do that ….. beat them, it’d put pressure on them. A point isn’t good enough (we’ve been there before). For me as byway, we need to win every game in Feb to redress these daft points we’ve dropped. So it’s going to be a nail biting month starting this Sat. Fingers crossed that draw against Burnley has lifted confidence and self belief in our own abilities because we’ve got brilliant squad.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Wednesday Fan Perspective on 22:09 - Jan 31 with 4345 viewsMaySixth

Arrogant Yorkshireman?

Unheard of mate.

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Login to get fewer ads

Wednesday Fan Perspective on 23:01 - Jan 31 with 4093 viewsWeirdFishes

I lived there for 4 years and I’ve never come across a more arrogant and entitled fanbase. Severe delusions of grandeur up there.

Granted they’re a bigger club than league one but they’d have you thinking they should be playing in the champions league every year.

TWTD Participant
Poll: Who's Worse?

Wednesday Fan Perspective on 23:42 - Jan 31 with 3941 viewsbournemouthblue

Wednesday Fan Perspective on 23:01 - Jan 31 by WeirdFishes

I lived there for 4 years and I’ve never come across a more arrogant and entitled fanbase. Severe delusions of grandeur up there.

Granted they’re a bigger club than league one but they’d have you thinking they should be playing in the champions league every year.

Ha ha really, I had no clue they were like that, I thought they'd be fairly level headed given they haven't looked like getting back to the Premier League since going down, we at least have had a few play-off campaigns

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Wednesday Fan Perspective on 02:27 - Feb 1 with 3715 viewsWednesdayJon

Wednesday Fan Perspective on 23:42 - Jan 31 by bournemouthblue

Ha ha really, I had no clue they were like that, I thought they'd be fairly level headed given they haven't looked like getting back to the Premier League since going down, we at least have had a few play-off campaigns

C'mon, we all know no club has one single 'fan profile' . Wednesday have our fair share of arrogant fans, but believe me, the vast majority of us feel no arrogance at all about our club's position or situation over recent years.

We are however, like Ipswich Town, a large club with a large, loyal, but long suffering fanbase. And this is our FOURTH venture into Div3/League One in my lifetime!

And on your point re: Wednesday 'haven't looked like getting back to the Premier League since going down', we aren't far off Ipswich's record regarding 'nearly' returns via play offs . We have made the Championship Play-off Final once, (to your twice since your relagation from the PL??) and the semi-finals once. . . . Pathetic, I agree, in 20+ years for both of our great clubs.

Anyway, nothing against Plymouth (who, resources wise, are doing brilliantly), but I want SWFC & ITFC to go up this season (don't mind in which order, just want us both out of this League).

Good luck for the rest of the season (bar our visit to Portman Road, obviously!)
Wednesday Fan Perspective on 09:03 - Feb 1 with 3146 viewsBluedandy

They haven't sold out, home tickets still available in The Kop end and South Stand.
Wednesday Fan Perspective on 09:33 - Feb 1 with 3056 viewsOldFart71

I would expect McKenna's answer would be along the lines of " We concentrate on our own team" We can't, apart from the games we play against the likes of Wednesday and Derby determine the outcome of their games. What we can do is make sure we don't commit errors of past games this season and beat those we should and beat those who are our main rivals. Our season will hinge on that.
Wednesday Fan Perspective on 10:04 - Feb 1 with 2926 viewsclive_baker

Wednesday Fan Perspective on 02:27 - Feb 1 by WednesdayJon

C'mon, we all know no club has one single 'fan profile' . Wednesday have our fair share of arrogant fans, but believe me, the vast majority of us feel no arrogance at all about our club's position or situation over recent years.

We are however, like Ipswich Town, a large club with a large, loyal, but long suffering fanbase. And this is our FOURTH venture into Div3/League One in my lifetime!

And on your point re: Wednesday 'haven't looked like getting back to the Premier League since going down', we aren't far off Ipswich's record regarding 'nearly' returns via play offs . We have made the Championship Play-off Final once, (to your twice since your relagation from the PL??) and the semi-finals once. . . . Pathetic, I agree, in 20+ years for both of our great clubs.

Anyway, nothing against Plymouth (who, resources wise, are doing brilliantly), but I want SWFC & ITFC to go up this season (don't mind in which order, just want us both out of this League).

Good luck for the rest of the season (bar our visit to Portman Road, obviously!)

Sadly we've never got to a playoff final since we got relegated from the PL. 3 Championship semi's, but never a final.

The closet we got was 04/05, missed out on top 2 on the final day to Wigan, finished 3rd and then lost the PO semi to West Ham who had finished 12 points below us in 6th. Choker.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Wednesday Fan Perspective on 10:24 - Feb 1 with 2878 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

There competition Sheffield Utd n Leeds!

Leeds do think they’re bigger than they are!
Is it a Yorkshire thing?
Wednesday Fan Perspective on 10:39 - Feb 1 with 2821 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Wednesday Fan Perspective on 10:04 - Feb 1 by clive_baker

Sadly we've never got to a playoff final since we got relegated from the PL. 3 Championship semi's, but never a final.

The closet we got was 04/05, missed out on top 2 on the final day to Wigan, finished 3rd and then lost the PO semi to West Ham who had finished 12 points below us in 6th. Choker.

Indeed, we have won on every visit to Wembley.

In contrast, we have lost more than our fair share of semi-finals over the years, especially in the play-offs.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Wednesday Fan Perspective on 10:43 - Feb 1 with 2776 viewsDeano69

I like to play the 'Sheffield are doing great, surely you'll be back in the Premier next season, oh, sorry, thats United' card

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Wednesday Fan Perspective on 11:21 - Feb 1 with 2680 viewsTrumptonBlue

I really like Sheffield Wednesday. My in-laws are all Blades fans, which probably explains it.
Wednesday Fan Perspective on 11:29 - Feb 1 with 2645 viewsOldFart71

Wednesday Fan Perspective on 10:39 - Feb 1 by Nthsuffolkblue

In contrast, we have lost more than our fair share of semi-finals over the years, especially in the play-offs.

Sorry but we haven't won on every visit to Wembley. We lost 5-0 to Nottingham Forest following our win in the FA Cup and Forest winning the League.
Wednesday Fan Perspective on 11:42 - Feb 1 with 2600 viewsTokey

Wednesday Fan Perspective on 11:29 - Feb 1 by OldFart71

Sorry but we haven't won on every visit to Wembley. We lost 5-0 to Nottingham Forest following our win in the FA Cup and Forest winning the League.

I was gonna say the same thing!
I know the convo is going off on a tangent but I just looked at the result of the 1962 Charity Shield game - we lost that one 5-1 to Spurs!
And I thought I knew everything there was to know about Town.
Wednesday Fan Perspective on 11:56 - Feb 1 with 2523 viewsKeno

are you doing one of these everyday?

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Wednesday Fan Perspective on 11:58 - Feb 1 with 2506 viewsMetal_Hacker

Wednesday Fan Perspective on 10:24 - Feb 1 by BtreeBlueBlood

There competition Sheffield Utd n Leeds!

Leeds do think they’re bigger than they are!
Is it a Yorkshire thing?

Living in Sheffield in can tell you it’s not a “Yorkshire” thing

For the most Yorkshire folk are salt of the earth , black is black and white is white. Straight down the middle sort of people.

As for their football fans from my perspective and working in and around Yorkshire

Leeds ,Barnsley, Blades and Rotherham fans are fine for the most

Wednesday albeit one of my best mates is a fan of theirs , I struggle with. Truly struggle
[Post edited 1 Feb 2023 12:01]

Wednesday Fan Perspective on 12:14 - Feb 1 with 2402 viewsclive_baker

Wednesday Fan Perspective on 10:39 - Feb 1 by Nthsuffolkblue

We've all lost a few semis over the years I'm sure.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Wednesday Fan Perspective on 12:15 - Feb 1 with 2391 viewsbournemouthblue

Wednesday Fan Perspective on 02:27 - Feb 1 by WednesdayJon

We have had three campaigns in the playoffs though I would suggest we would have consistently finished higher than you in that period, we will have a few 7ths etc

At least until the Evans era truly kicked in, the money you came into in recent years would have changed that?

It wasn't that long ago that our lowest finish in the Championship for 50 odd years was 15th in that league

Wednesday Fan Perspective on 12:18 - Feb 1 with 2363 viewsbournemouthblue

Wednesday Fan Perspective on 10:04 - Feb 1 by clive_baker

This season is feeling a lot like that season for me currently

Although I think this playoff pack is stronger than it was then, comparatively

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024